Xbox 360 250 GB Hard Drive $129.99 Amazon FSS UPDATED: Gamestop $97 with coupon 4/2

Anexanhume

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B003C1VPEY/ref=amb_link_292329822_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1PAXTYCMQ3ANDG2FK97A&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1253806422&pf_rd_i=360%20250%20gb

Stock arrives March 28th.

Can get it for 97 at gamestop with a "25off" code.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77266

DISCLAIMER: MAY NOT BE HONORED

UPDATE: Looks like orders are getting canceled by gamestop.

[quote name='truckasauras']I know the web site allows you to apply the 25off code, but if you read the text on there it says "Not valid on consoles or hard drives. Offer subject to change. - XB360 Hard Drive 250GB"

I doubt they will honor the $97 sale price with the coupon. I was ready to purchase this until I saw that text.[/QUOTE]

Update: try the following:

[quote name='paperkut']FYI ... ENT20 (or 10AUTO) works for 250 GB XBOX HD ... LOL.

order before they catch on ... too bad I got mine already ...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TGizzle']If anyone is interested, I have an Official 250GB HDD :360: (from MW2 Bundle) available (CML). Just PM me.[/QUOTE]

You are going to be hard pressed selling it without a transfer cable and cd.

Not really. You can acquire those elsewhere. I'd gladly buy a used 250GB hard drive...for the right price. I bought a used 120GB from GameStop, and it worked out great.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not really. You can acquire those elsewhere. I'd gladly buy a used 250GB hard drive...for the right price. I bought a used 120GB from GameStop, and it worked out great.[/QUOTE]

So how much was the 120GB?

$100 base, back when the drive and transfer kit retailed for $180. After coupon and EDGE, I got the drive for $70 plus tax. Got a transfer kit from Microsoft (free at the time) and then sold that for like $30.

I've been thinking about this. I have a $75 gift card and if I could sell my old 120 for at least $55 then it would cover the cost. However, I still have about 33 GB on my current drive and I only install games I play on an active basis and my Rockband games + dlc.

[quote name='mrme2']How much space does a single 360 game take up on the HD? 4.75 GB??[/QUOTE]

Pretty close. Maybe a little less. It's a good guesstimate, though.

[quote name='G3 Steve-O']Anyone FIND one in a STORE yet???[/QUOTE]

Called one of the GS stores I like and had the guy check it in his computer. He couldn't even find the price in the computer. He figured it was still in pre-order. I told him the website siad "Ships in 24 hours"... I don't know if/when the stores will ever get them.

[quote name='Kezmer']ahh perfect after I bought a 60gb for 99 bucks !![/QUOTE]

dude I don't know when you bought that, but you got ripped off. Unless it was the 60 gb start kit, which i think on amazon its $90. I got a brand new 120 gb back in October for $75. I'm going to hold off on the 250 gb as I have enough space left on my 120(40 gb) and I'll just wait for the 500 gb to inevitably come out(possibly during natal?)

Got one today at Gamestop. Got the ONLY one they had in which they got it today. Didnt want to wait till next week for Amazon to get it.

It was in Easton, PA area so if you are near there other stores may get it in today or tomorrow.

Yep - the manager at the good local GS called me today to let me know that he got one - ONE - in shipment today. He's holding it for me. If you want one, check your local GS stores today. They may have one.

[quote name='ctrek3']What coupon? Please explain this.[/QUOTE]

i got a 10% off and free ground shipping coupon from gamestops surprize attack mw 2 sweepstakes

120gb is now 89.99 used at gamestop.com

[quote name='G3 Steve-O']Got one today at Gamestop. Got the ONLY one they had in which they got it today. Didnt want to wait till next week for Amazon to get it.

It was in Easton, PA area so if you are near there other stores may get it in today or tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Where are you from? I went to Easton Area High School, Class of '01

[quote name='killer9']120gb is now 89.99 used at gamestop.com[/QUOTE]

Would that come with the transfer kit? If not, that kills the deal right there.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not too upset over paying $130 for the 250GB model. When I bought my 360 2+ years ago, I opted for the 20GB Pro to save $100 versus the 120GB Elite. And until recently, I really had no need for a larger hard drive. Now I can transfer those savings from buying the 20GB and get an extra 130GB for essentially $30 more. Still sucks as a dollar to GB price point overall, but it's a little more justified in my mind.

In my brand new 250 GB drive, the Hard Drive Transfer cable is VERY clearly visible in the packaging, and if you turn it up sideways a little, you can read "Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable" on it. I just got home with mine. I plan on transferring my data tonight. This was from a Gamestop. just in case any of you were wondering vs. the Amazon drive listed.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Wrong. The Hard Drive Transfer cable is VERY clearly visible in the packaging, and if you turn it up sideways a little, you can read "Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable" on it. I just got home with mine. I plan on transferring my data tonight.[/QUOTE]

he's talking about the refurbished 120gb from gamestop i believe

[quote name='Y2Bogus']I keep hearing people say they don't need more than 20GB. Am I the only one who installs his games to the HDD? Most games get a boost in the loading times, you're putting a lot less wear on the laser, and you avoid the loud 360 drive.[/QUOTE]

haha you can't even fit Lost Odyssey on a 20gig, or can you :lol:

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Wrong. The Hard Drive Transfer cable is VERY clearly visible in the packaging, and if you turn it up sideways a little, you can read "Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable" on it. I just got home with mine. I plan on transferring my data tonight.[/QUOTE]

Most/All 'used' hard drives sold by gamestop DO NOT come with the transfer kit.
You then have to either call Microsoft, and beg for them to send you one for free, or buy it from them. At $89.99, I would just save the extra money and the headache and buy the new 250 gb one...unless you have tons of credit at GS.

[quote name='dragonjud']Most/All 'used' hard drives sold by gamestop DO NOT come with the transfer kit.
You then have to either call Microsoft, and beg for them to send you one for free, or buy it from them. At $89.99, I would just save the extra money and the headache and buy the new 250 gb one...unless you have tons of credit at GS.[/QUOTE]MS has them up on their official store site, and they end up being around $21 with shipping.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsof...-Data-Migration-Transfer-Kit/product/7707C68E

[quote name='dragonjud']Most/All 'used' hard drives sold by gamestop DO NOT come with the transfer kit.
You then have to either call Microsoft, and beg for them to send you one for free, or buy it from them. At $89.99, I would just save the extra money and the headache and buy the new 250 gb one...unless you have tons of credit at GS.[/QUOTE]

I was fixing that as you were typing this. I got a new 250 GB drive.

For anyone else that needs it, the GS SKU is 804170. When I had the guy check it yesterday, he had no idea they were even carried. When the drive showed up today, the same guy happened to be working, so he called me. It was the first he had heard or seen of the drive...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']For anyone else that needs it, the GS SKU is 804170. When I had the guy check it yesterday, he had no idea they were even carried. When the drive showed up today, the same guy happened to be working, so he called me. It was the first he had heard or seen of the drive...[/QUOTE]

yeah most of the stores don't even know about it and got really pissed off when I went asking

thanks a lot for sku

[quote name='gryphter']Ha! Where are you from? I went to Easton Area High School, Class of '01[/QUOTE]

I live in Nazareth. It was the Palmer Park Mall store that had it. So check the William Penn, Rt 248 store, and the new one on Airport Rd. Might as well check the LV mall one too. If one got it in Im sure the other 8 stores within 15 miles will too by tomorrow.

Oh, BTW. The Gamecrazy on Freemansburg Ave is closing. Liquidation Sale STARTS tomorrow.

This is a note to all here. I posted before that when I called GS Customer Service they said that THEIRS doesnt come with a Transfer Cable. Well, it sure does. Transferring now. Estimated time is 5 hours and 17 minutes. THIS SUX

[quote name='xFatalFlaw']dude I don't know when you bought that, but you got ripped off. Unless it was the 60 gb start kit, which i think on amazon its $90. I got a brand new 120 gb back in October for $75. I'm going to hold off on the 250 gb as I have enough space left on my 120(40 gb) and I'll just wait for the 500 gb to inevitably come out(possibly during natal?)[/QUOTE]

well I looked everywhere for a 120 GB after Thanksgiving here but there were 0 in stock anywhere in my area. I am very skeptical about buying used drives on ebay or other sites since they banned xbox live accounts, I just eventually found a starter kit for 99 and bought it. I wish I had known the transfer kit costs 15 bucks lol, but no big deal really I still have 37 GB free but I dont install games at all since I dont want 2 risk filling it up also

[quote name='Tony208']haha you can't even fit Lost Odyssey on a 20gig, or can you :lol:[/QUOTE]

I will be honest I never thought I would "need" more than 20GB, I have had my 360 since March of '06 and just finally filled it up last year. If It wasnt for all the rock band/guitar hero games I would still be fine now. I never install games because I dont see the point since you have to insert a disk anyway

[quote name='Kezmer']I will be honest I never thought I would "need" more than 20GB, I have had my 360 since March of '06 and just finally filled it up last year. If It wasnt for all the rock band/guitar hero games I would still be fine now. I never install games because I dont see the point since you have to insert a disk anyway[/QUOTE]

Faster loading times, less slowdown, less heating.

[quote name='tossin']Faster loading times, less slowdown, less heating.[/QUOTE]

100% Agreed. I refuse to play a game unless its installed on my 360. IT also doesnt sound like an airplane is taking off in my living room anymore. Kinda nice. I RECOMMEND installing ALL ur games so your system doesnt heat up.

Lost Odyssey definitely doesn't fit, not all 4 discs anyways. I'm sitting on a 20GB but I find myself able to have 2 discs installed at any given time. That's good enough for me I guess. Even then, it only takes about 10 minutes to install a game. So when ever I'm finished playing something, I delete it and install the next game.

I also found it comes in handy when buying used games from Gamestop to try and install them to the hard drive first. This will determine if the disc is unreadable or not without you getting too into the story and then all of a sudden OMG DISC IS UNREADABLE and finding yourself outside of the 7 day return policy haha. Saved my butt last time =D

I can't say 250GB HDD isn't tempting but I don't think I'd even use it anyways so I'll hold off on it.

I never install games to my drive, no space and all...after I get this though, yeah. I think there's a site that lists the games that actually benefit from install? Also, can't recall if you need the disc still in to play or not...I'm too lazy right now to do google homework.

oh well when my 60 fills up I will buy a 250 if they still make them. I am not going to take a bath on the 60 I just got to spend more money. I think I would rather use that 129 dollars to buy a new elite for 300 with one whenever they come out since I dont have the HDMI port on my old one anyway

I was talking to my GS manager today and he said that MS is tightening up on the drive transfer cables because you can use one to modify your game saves - which is how most of these people are boosting and such in MW2. Now you have to provide a proof of purchase of a drive to buy a transfer cable from MS directly...

[quote name='Masume']...then installing to remove drive noise is kind of moot.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, the disc drive only checks to make sure the disc is in the drive, it doesn't actually access the information from the disc while playing. The information is accessed from the installed files on the hard drive. So, if you do have a loud disc drive on your 360, this would make a difference.

Exactly. It's definitely not moot. You just need the disc in so that you can't simply rent or borrow games, rip them to the drive, and then be able to own the game for free or a few bucks. None of the games I have installed spin while playing.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. It's definitely not moot. You just need the disc in so that you can't simply rent or borrow games, rip them to the drive, and then be able to own the game for free or a few bucks. None of the games I have installed spin while playing.[/QUOTE]

In that case then, it's awesome. :D

Well I caved and bought one using some amazon gift cards and trade in credits I will tell you guys how it is when it gets here.

[quote name='tominater12']Well I caved and bought one using some amazon gift cards and trade in credits I will tell you guys how it is when it gets here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I caved too. Originally I was going to get an elite but since I already have a system it didn't make much sense when I get far more space out of this drive. The games I can always get on clearance at Target and all. :cool:

Plus, no need to buy a transfer cable, which saves me $15 anyways. If I need another system, I can always get an arcade and slap the leftover 20gb on!

It is nice to have so much space now. I have 158 Gigs Left now.
Here are my games.

-45 Arcade Games (yes ALOT however I've been a 360 owner since DAY 1 and I've got a few free with accessories, Live Kits, and such)
-All Pro football 2k8
-Condemned
-COD MW2
-Dead Rising (all content downloaded)
-Fable Lost Chapters
-Fable 2
-Forza 3 Limited Edition (also Downloaded all the stuff that DIDNT come with the LE)
-Halo
-Halo 2 (all Maps Downloaded)
-Halo Wars
-Hitman Blood Money ( I love this series)
-Mass Effect (all content Downloaded)
-ME2 Collectors Edition (all content downloaded EXCEPT the Extra Outfits)
-Oblivion CE (all Additional Content Downloaded)
-Splinter Cell (all content downloaded)

All my games are INSTALLED as I wont play a game thats not. But the nice thing is now there are games that Ive wanted to get and havent because of no space left. Bully, test Drive, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Halo 3 and ODST. Il just wait a bit till I find em all under $20 each. Plus I have Alan Wake coming and MAYBE Splinter Cell conviction *MAYBE*. Not sure yet.

Wasn't it Major Nelson telling everyone MS is never coming out with a 250gb HDD back in September? The "Lee Corso of Gaming" never ceases to amaze me!! Good job Lee! MS probably sold a load of those COD and Forza bundles to naive folks who actually believe anything and everything you spew out.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Wasn't it Major Nelson telling everyone MS is never coming out with a 250gb HDD back in September? The "Lee Corso of Gaming" never ceases to amaze me!! Good job Lee! MS probably sold a load of those COD and Forza bundles based on your information.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
I ALMOST caved and got one of those COD systems as my walmart had em marked to $300. And then just sell my system and the 120GB Hard Drive. Glad I didnt though.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Wasn't it Major Nelson telling everyone MS is never coming out with a 250gb HDD back in September? The "Lee Corso of Gaming" never ceases to amaze me!! Good job Lee! MS probably sold a load of those COD and Forza bundles to naive folks who actually believe anything and everything you spew out.[/QUOTE]

You do know he's a corporate mouthpiece that gets paid to sell things for Microsoft right? Why people can't see him for that is beyond me. It's his job to promote all things Microsoft. Do you really believe he knew, SIX MONTHS AGO, that MS was going to release this drive separately? You people give him a lot of credit for nothing. He's a PR person. Nothing more.

[quote name='mtxbass1']You do know he's a corporate mouthpiece that gets paid to sell things for Microsoft right? Why people can't see him for that is beyond me. It's his job to promote all things Microsoft. Do you really believe he knew, SIX MONTHS AGO, that MS was going to release this drive separately? You people give him a lot of credit for nothing. He's a PR person. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

YES!!!

Do I think he "officially" knew a date? No. However, anyone with any business sense knew that it was only a matter of time until the 250 was sold standalone. We/He just didn't know when. Six months ago in business planning is not a long time. They all knew it was coming.

Did he lie? No. Was he deceiving? I believe so.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Wasn't it Major Nelson telling everyone MS is never coming out with a 250gb HDD back in September?[/QUOTE]

To be fair, he didn't say "never." It was more like, "there are no plans to release it separately."

And really, who didn't think they'd eventually release it as a standalone product? Did you really think they would produce it for a couple of Elite bundles only? Especially when the 120GB drives were disappearing from stores with no explanation? The writing was on the wall, this is no surprise.

[quote name='mtxbass1']You do know he's a corporate mouthpiece that gets paid to sell things for Microsoft right? Why people can't see him for that is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I said this months ago when the CoD bundle came out, and a bunch of people bashed me. "Oh, no, he said it's not coming out as a stand-alone." The man's public persona is his Gamertag, but people take his word as gospel.

If you honestly...honestly...believed this was never, ever coming out as a stand-alone product, I'm sorry, but that's a bit naive. As Bingo said, they were not going to bother manufacturing these for some "limited" edition consoles, not when they were already make big profits on the 120GB drive. They were not going to pass up the opportunity to move more units (hopefully to people who already bought smaller drives), especially considering that they continue to push larger and larger digital content, like full retail games and add-ons that are coming out in the GBs.

Got one of these drives today at gamestop. Had 1 hour 33 minutes remaining in the transfer.

Tick. Tick. Tick. The 250 GB drive was dead.

Wonderful. Not even 8 hours old and the drive died.

bread's done
Back