Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

VERY sorry for the triple posting. I'd usually wait until someone posts something before putting one of my own but with seemingly no activity in the past few days, I had to do it. Besides, now we can change the overall number to 343 games :)

---------------------

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - 5.6GB - BLUE - Loading levels hits a 5 seconds of savings from HDD compared to DVD.

from DVD
initial load - 5 seconds
2nd load screen before title - 3 seconds
new game to cut-scene - 2 seconds
cut-scene to level 1 - 11 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 4 seconds
2nd load screen before title - 1 second
new game to cut-scene - 2 seconds
cut-scene to level 1 - 6 seconds

Awesome! Now to see if we can get the other half chronicled for performance.

Got a question for you. I know for sure that the 343 games listed isn't the complete collection of Xbox 360 games out there now. Do you think it would be a good idea if this list also put down currently released Xbox 360 titles out there that we don't know install sizes and performance for? I'm thinking that doing so might spur people to find out at least sizes for these missing titles and put them here, making the list more complete. Curious on your thoughts on this idea.

[quote name='dumlaox']Awesome! Now to see if we can get the other half chronicled for performance.

Got a question for you. I know for sure that the 343 games listed isn't the complete collection of Xbox 360 games out there now. Do you think it would be a good idea if this list also put down currently released Xbox 360 titles out there that we don't know install sizes and performance for? I'm thinking that doing so might spur people to find out at least sizes for these missing titles and put them here, making the list more complete. Curious on your thoughts on this idea.[/quote]
I was thinking about that but i'd rather have a complete list where people can reference the games we have information for already. As it is, the list is quite large in it's current form, so i would like to keep the clutter down and as such, adding games that don't have a size or rating would just clutter it up even more.

I'm toying with the idea of making a page on my site (that could be moved elsewhere later) where people can submit the games themselves as well as sort by rating, title, and size. We'll see though, i'm not the greatest with coding but i'm interested in doing this so i'm sure i'll tak ea whack at it sometime :)

Yes you can. As long as you specifically delete the game install itself and not the whole listing, you'll be fine.

If you really want to make sure on this, when you view your HDD, hit the X button to see Deletion Suggestions. You'll find a list from largest file to smallest. Anything you see that numbers in the GBs is your disc install file. Delete that from here and you'll be fine.

Well, I finally registered. Why?
I have my very own list on another forum. And I daily check this thread to see if you have games we don´t have yet.
Since this is an international site/forum, and the other one only Dutch this can happen quite often.

Now I finally came in and want first of all to say thank you for your hard work. And second I want to say I´m using this list as a source (besides our own members).
If I didn't say that it would feel like stealing. Not that this information is © in any way, but you know...just want to have a clean concience :lol:

Keep up the good work!

:grouphug:

Oh, I saw someone asked how you can delete a game after you have installed it.
I made a video about a few NXE tips. It could do with some better editing etc. but it will do I think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KqkmqNgo_A

And yes, the color settings on my capture card were all wrong. ;)

:360:

Had a disc read error playing Bioshock in the first big daddy fight of Neptune's Bounty. Was playing the game from the HD, so that was weird, so I figured it needed a reinstall. Deleted the game file along with my save file accidentally because I forgot about the save files being lumped in with the install file. Can't wait to start the game again for the third or so time...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DulleNL']Well, I finally registered. Why?
I have my very own list on another forum. And I daily check this thread to see if you have games we don´t have yet.
Since this is an international site/forum, and the other one only Dutch this can happen quite often.

Now I finally came in and want first of all to say thank you for your hard work. And second I want to say I´m using this list as a source (besides our own members).
If I didn't say that it would feel like stealing. Not that this information is © in any way, but you know...just want to have a clean concience :lol:

Keep up the good work!
:360:[/quote]
Thanks fr posting. No one has to leave credit but it's always nice. If you want to, feel free to link to this thread/list, partially as credit, and also in case the list hasn't been updated in a couple days (but mostly as credit ;))

Fuzion Frenzy 2 - [3.4GB] - Blue
- Saves about 3 seconds loading to the title screen and fractions of a second for each mini-game. Unfortunately, you still can't skip the announcer's scenes.

Open Season - [4.1GB] - Blue
- Saves about 3-4 seconds for each level load screen

[quote name='chrisswiss83']Had a disc read error playing Bioshock in the first big daddy fight of Neptune's Bounty. Was playing the game from the HD, so that was weird, so I figured it needed a reinstall. Deleted the game file along with my save file accidentally because I forgot about the save files being lumped in with the install file. Can't wait to start the game again for the third or so time...[/QUOTE]

Yikes, I wonder if that means your hard drive is failing? I wish Sony/Microsoft would include disk tools...

You know, I installed Rock Band 2 on the HDD, and it froze on me on 2 different occasions, on 2 different songs (actually, it's more like getting stuck on a certain section of the song, and playing back over and over again like a broken record). If you wait long enough (30 seconds?), it would resume. The system is only about a month old. I didn't encounter that problem playing from the disk. Does this mean the HDD is not good?

Not sure on that one. You might want to call up Microsoft on that one and see what they have to say about it. I personally have Rock Band 2 installed on my HDD and haven't experienced a freezing issue like you have.

Curious, though, what 2 songs did you experience this on and what mode?

Hey, SynGamer, got some bad and good news for you concerning this list.

Bad News
You have a few errors on the list. They are:

Colin McRae DiRT/DiRT - These are the same game. DiRT was the US name while Colin McRae DiRT was the EU name
Fatal Inertia - This is here twice. Once after Far Cry 2 and the other time after Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection

Good News
Got some more stuff for the list, including a few new titles to bring the count back up.

-------------

Condemned: Criminal Origins - RED - Much worse if you ever decide to install the game on the HDD. Almost in line with Halo 3 for load performance.

from DVD
title to level 1 - 8 seconds

from HDD
title to level 1 - 19 seconds

--------------

Quantum of Solace - BLUE - Almost green but the load times are definitely fast if you do an HDD install.

from DVD
initial load - 8 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 3 seconds

--------------

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - BLUE - The 4 second difference makes an HDD install worth it.

from DVD
main menu to level 1 - 15 seconds

from HDD
main menu to level 1 - 11 seconds

--------------

Armored Core 4 - WHITE - Not much savings when loading from HDD.

from DVD
main menu to tutorial - 10 seconds

from HDD
main menu to tutorial - 8 seconds

--------------

Armored Core: For Answer - 6.7GB - WHITE - same as the predecessor.

from DVD

from HDD

--------------

H.A.W.X. - 6.1GB - WHITE - Not much difference between loading from either media.

from DVD
initial load - 5 seconds
Level 1 load - 21 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 4 seconds
Level 1 load - 19 seconds

--------------

EndWar - 5.1GB - GREEN - Much faster loading if done from HDD

from DVD
1v1 skirmish - 22 seconds

from HDD
1v1 skirmish - 16 seconds

--------------

Battle Fantasia - WHITE - No change whatsoever.

from DVD
Story mode cut scenes - 2 seconds

from HDD
Story mode cut scenes - 2 seconds

I googled "NXE Game Install Problems" and here's what I found (Post 32 has similar problems to mine):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1086793&page=2

I wish I remember exactly what songs they were. Can't say 100%, but if I remember correctly, one was exported from RB1 (I think I'm Paranoid?) and the other downloaded from the Music Store (Dirty Little Secret? Natural Disaster?). This was on Band Quickplay. Mine was Hard on Guitar, the other was Easy on Vocals. What I can say, though, is that I never encountered these problems playing from the disc.

John Woo Presents Stranglehold - GREEN

Time to load up level DISC - 15s

Time to load up level HDD - 9s

Everything runs smoother, main menu loads up almost instantly.

[quote name='Piemonkey']John Woo Presents Stranglehold - GREEN

Time to load up level DISC - 15s

Time to load up level HDD - 9s

Everything runs smoother, main menu loads up almost instantly.[/quote]
Thanks. I saw this yesterday and just now remembered to update the OP :) Keep 'em coming.

[quote name='Piemonkey']Resident Evil 5 - GREEN GREEN GREEN

Holy crap. Seriously.

Disc: 15-20 seconds.

HDD: 2-6 seconds.

This is so green, my eyes bleed.[/QUOTE]

The load times are so reduced that you barely have any time (sometimes no time) to read the loading screen notes.

Are you guys using old 360's with dying lasers?
From the disc I still have no time to read the load screen notes, and I don't think I've had a load that was more than 5-6 seconds.

[quote name='Piemonkey']Resident Evil 5 - GREEN GREEN GREEN

Holy crap. Seriously.

Disc: 15-20 seconds.

HDD: 2-6 seconds.

This is so green, my eyes bleed.[/quote]
What size is the game, no one has reported that yet :)

Hey, SynGamer, you forgot to put down one of the games I listed:

Armored Core: For Answer - 6.7GB - WHITE - this is the sequel to Armored Core 4.

from DVD

from HDD

[quote name='dumlaox']Hey, SynGamer, you forgot to put down one of the games I listed:

Armored Core: For Answer - 6.7GB - WHITE - this is the sequel to Armored Core 4.

from DVD

from HDD
main menu to tutorial - 8 seconds[/quote]
Sorry about that.

Halo 3 Essentials Disc One: 6.0 GBs. It loaded fast but it's just movies for the most part so I'm sure it's fast without the install. I just wanted to check to see if it could be installed. Disc two is just a normal DVD.

For the Halo 3 game: I know the campaign loads slower if loaded onto the hard drive, but does it slow down the loading of multiplayer maps online?

The file sizes are the result of the free space left on the DVD after Microsoft places their copy protection files on there. If I remember correctly, there's about 1GB+ of files meant to make the disc unreadable from standard DVD drives.

Couple more for you...

Warhammer: Battle March - 6.8Gb - Green
Load Skirmish HDD = 23s
Load Skirmish DVD = 34s

Race Pro - 5.0Gb - White
Load Quick Race on Laguna Seca HDD = 26s
Load Quick Race on Laguna Seca DVD = 24s

[quote name='dumlaox']The file sizes are the result of the free space left on the DVD after Microsoft places their copy protection files on there. If I remember correctly, there's about 1GB+ of files meant to make the disc unreadable from standard DVD drives.[/quote]

It's more suspicious that the SMALLEST size for a 360 game is always 3.4Gb... It's surely no coincidence that 3.4Gb plus the gig of copy protection files mentioned above equals the capacity of a single-layer DVD? It looks to me as if all games under 3.4Gb are artificially inflated to that size - presumably so your game's disc surface looks 'full'. Way to fill up our hard-drives, Microsoft!

You realize that the spacing is all to help load times on disc, right? The same trick was done since the PSOne days to help loads with CD games and it's been carried over ever since. The original Xbox games did it too. Aside from that, a good chunk of these discs are made to go multi-region so they would have extra files in there meant for other regions (French video, German audio, etc.)

The only real way to answer your question concerning the smaller games would be to find the equivalent on the other platforms. Trivial Pursuit, for example, is also on the PS3 and Wii. Find the file sizes for those and you can figure out whether or not there is deliberate inflation.

WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2007 unlike 2008 and 2009, makes no difference at all if its on the hard drive, so mark it white.

Zoids Assault - WHITE - minimal difference between HDD and DVD

from DVD
title to opening movie - 4 seconds
level 1 - 12 seconds

from HDD
title to opening movie - 4 seconds
level 1 - 10 seconds

The Incredible Hulk - WHITE - NO change seen at all.

from DVD
title to opening movie - 7 seconds

from HDD
title to opening movie - 7 seconds

Eternal Sonata is a complete WHITE out. the game loads super fast like there's no loading times as it is. and putting it on the hard drive makes 0 difference as well.

WWE Legends of Wrestlemania - 6.8GB - WHITE - Not much change at all, though the lack of entrance videos could be helping here when compared to WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009.

from DVD
opening load screen - 3 seconds
title to main menu - 3 seconds
after wrestler select - 4 seconds
arena select to match - 8 seconds

from HDD
opening load screen - 3 seconds
title to main menu - 2 seconds
after wrestler select - 3 seconds
arena select to match - 7 seconds

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does installing disc 4 of Lost Odyssey fix any of the disc read error problems commonly associated with that particular disc?

One of my friends can't play disc 4 because of it, and I suggested he try installing it to the HDD, but he hasn't gotten back to me if it helped. I'll post what happens if I find out before somebody else does.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - Green
Saves at least 5 seconds on the first level loading screens and prevents the gates from being shut between levels while it loads the next area.

saw that Prince of Persia hadn't been reported yet and i've currently got that at home from gamefly. even tho there is a 6 second difference on one of the tests, i'd still call it a BLUE. of course, it's up to SynGamer.

DVD:
Dashboard to Menu - 29
Menu to Game - 21

HDD:
Dashboard to Menu - 24 (5 seconds faster)
Menu to Game - 15 (6 seconds faster)

Wanted: Weapons of Fate - 6.8GB - WHITE - It's hard to tell if anything changed during the HDD installation. The game doesn't seem to feature many load screens. The only thing close would be the monologues which seem to have the X button prompt appear at the same time no matter what loading method (DVD or HDD) it takes.

Wheelman - 6.4GB - GREEN - About a 10 seconds savings if you load from HDD compared to DVD.

from DVD
initial load - 7 seconds
game load from title - 26 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 5 seconds
game load from title - 16 seconds

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga - White

From DVD
Loading game from title screen - 11 seconds
Loading game from chapter to cantina - 11 seconds

From HD
Loading game from title screen - 10 seconds
Loading game from chapter to cantina - 10 seconds

There really isn't a significant difference b/t DVD and HD. You're better off just not installing it, especially considering the size.

Rock Revolution - BLUE - Not much improvement, though the long loading times are a surprise.

from DVD
initial load - 43 seconds
quickplay (We're Not Gonna Take It) - 14 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 42 seconds
quickplay (We're Not Gonna Take It) - 11 seconds

I'm simply amazed at the difference in load times with College Hoops 2K8, The 360 runs super quiet and the games load almost instantly now! It's easily the biggest improvement with any installation I've done.

With March Madness going on, the Lobbies for that game have been packed! 523 people were playing the other day!

Updated. Thanks for all the submissions, and yes, the games in green make a world of difference :) Be sure to tell people about the list here ;)

NBA Ballers: Chosen One - Unsupported

Thinking about this one for a bit but do we want to leave unsupported games Gray or do we need another color for these few titles?

[quote name='dumlaox']NBA Ballers: Chosen One - Unsupported

Thinking about this one for a bit but do we want to leave unsupported games Gray or do we need another color for these few titles?[/quote]
I was going to mark them red black actually.

Monsters Vs. Aliens - 6.2GB - GREEN - Excellent improvements in every load screen possible. A Much faster experience from the HDD.

from DVD
title screen load - 4 seconds
level 1 cut scene - 8 seconds
level 1 load - 15 seconds

from HDD
title screen load - barely 1 second
level 1 cut scene - 5 seconds
level 1 load - 8 seconds

bread's done
Back