Xbox 360 Premium & Elite w/Forza 2 & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Supplies Running Out

PyroGamer

Banned
Microsoft this morning confirmed part of the bundle rumor that's been ravaging the Internet for weeks: All Xbox 360s and Xbox 360 Elites will now come with free copies of Forza Motorsport 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, a $90 value.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/microsoft-gives-away-two-games-with-360s-308136.php

Nice to hear the double-game bundles are finally back. Hopefully they keep bundling such great games, too (as opposed to the Tetris Worlds crap they started resorting to on the OG Xbox)

Hot on the heels of a price reduction for all Xbox 360 consoles, Microsoft is now giving holiday buyers even more value by including two great games with every Xbox 360 console and Xbox 360 Elite, a retail savings of $90 for consumers. The acclaimed "Forza Motorsport 2" (Microsoft Game Studios) and "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" (Activision) will both be included for the recently reduced prices of $349.99 (U.S.) for Xbox 360 and $449.99 (U.S.) for Xbox 360 Elite. Both bundles will be available retail-wide by the end of October.

[quote name='abreed']Yeah, all stores around me have tons and tons of Halo 3 360s. I guess someone thought they would be a big seller and it looks like they were completely wrong. I never got what was the point of having that system version anyway (and I would say I am a pretty big Halo 3 fan).

I am so tired of the limited edition crap. A lot of times it seems like they are probably making more limited edition versions than regular editions. If something is limited they should at least number it and release how many they are putting out.[/quote]

MS is so stupid, if they had put a 120GB HDD on it it would have sold like crazy, i would have definitely gotten it, but 20GB, no thanks.

[quote name='vienge']and it is quieter, and having a Falcon gives you +50 internet cool points.[/QUOTE]

The Falcon's no quieter. It depends entirely on what drive you get, and even the "quiet" BenQ drive is still unacceptably loud. It's only "quiet" in comparison to earlier drives.

[quote name='snoopfighter']where can you gaurantee you will get hdmi on board with your xbox??[/QUOTE]

Planet Earth? ;) I have no idea how you'd get one that doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopfighter
where can you gaurantee you will get hdmi on board with your xbox??

[quote name='Wolfpup']Planet Earth? ;) I have no idea how you'd get one that doesn't.[/quote]

Easily. My local Best Buy had a stack (like 30) of white boxes with 06 datecodes (and of course, HDMI not listed as a feature on the box) before BF. They may be sold now to unsuspecting BF GHII-bundle buyers, at least until they figure out what they got. Anyway, always check the box (and then the console itself) if you care about the HDMI.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The Falcon's no quieter. It depends entirely on what drive you get, and even the "quiet" BenQ drive is still unacceptably loud. It's only "quiet" in comparison to earlier drives.
[/QUOTE]

oh, so that's why people want the BenQ drive...

anyway I haven't had problems with the noise level from my 360, then again I'm used to hearing fans 24/7 from my desktop/laptop in my room so maybe that's why.

[quote name='abreed']Look on the bright side, if your local store is sold out the next shipment will be new consoles (probably Go Pro/Big versions). That means you will likely get a Falcon now that all the old Zephyrs are gone.[/quote]

Good call. Found a freshly-delivered Elite today: holiday bundle, not "Go Big" but label claims 175 W power supply, which currently seems to be recognized as the definitive indication of a Falcon (assuming the PSU actually IS 175 W).

Anyway, fingers crossed that it is a Falcon and that this means not just lower power consumption but also greater reliability.

God, I remember running around 6 years ago trying to find the new PS2 rev with the DVD fix in the firmware. "I'm getting too old for this..."

[quote name='gantt']Easily. My local Best Buy had a stack (like 30) of white boxes with 06 datecodes (and of course, HDMI not listed as a feature on the box) before BF. They may be sold now to unsuspecting BF GHII-bundle buyers, at least until they figure out what they got. Anyway, always check the box (and then the console itself) if you care about the HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had no idea anyone still had any. I did hear Best Buy uses a first in first out inventory system, so maybe that's why? If so, that's really stupid, as there have to be more products like this that evolve.

[quote name='vienge']oh, so that's why people want the BenQ drive...

anyway I haven't had problems with the noise level from my 360, then again I'm used to hearing fans 24/7 from my desktop/laptop in my room so maybe that's why.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful, unless you're running a rack of servers or something. Even my new "quiet" 360 is several times louder than any of my PCs.

[quote name='gantt']Good call. Found a freshly-delivered Elite today: holiday bundle, not "Go Big" but label claims 175 W power supply, which currently seems to be recognized as the definitive indication of a Falcon (assuming the PSU actually IS 175 W). [/quote]

The smaller PSU presumably means it has to be a Falcon, but the flashlight test is the way to tell. Having the old PSU dosen't mean you don't have a Falcon. (Although I wonder if my PSU really is as big as the label claims, since it seems like it weighs less...)

[quote name='gantt']Easily. My local Best Buy had a stack (like 30) of white boxes with 06 datecodes (and of course, HDMI not listed as a feature on the box) before BF.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. My local Best Buy was trying like hell to sell those to the people that were buying it for the free Guitar Hero 2. Of course I knew better and picked one with the 2 free games and a new lot number (the cashier did have to override the price of GH2 to make it free, it was only in their system to get GH2 if it was an old console). Man do I feel bad for the kids that get those. But yes, as of yesterday they do have 2 or 3 non-HDMI 360s left, sitting right next to the 360s with the 2 free games. I wonder if they will ever sell. Probably to some housewife that knows her kid wants a Wii, but this comes in a white box too, so it is close enough.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Doubtful, unless you're running a rack of servers or something. Even my new "quiet" 360 is several times louder than any of my PCs.
[/QUOTE]

I dunno, maybe I'm going deaf but I really am not having a issue with the noise level of my 360.

Then again I haven't really had time to play it more than 30 minutes at a go.

Oh yeah, and it does have a BenQ drive.

Anyone here know if the Arcade SKU comes with the Falcon chipset? I know it has HDMI, but have seen conflicting reports about what chipset it has.

Well after 8 days of my XBox 360 Pro order being labeled as "sent to warehouse", I checked on the status when I got home from work and it now says "on order". I think this is Buy.com's code for OOS and backordered. I really wanted a 360 for myself for Christmas and the $334 dollars shipped was a good deal but now I guess I'll have to cancel the order. They don't say when it will be in stock and unless I want to settle for a Halo green console at a B+M store I may be out of luck. Hmmmmmm.....what to do????

[quote name='Matsumoto11756']Well after 8 days of my XBox 360 Pro order being labeled as "sent to warehouse", I checked on the status when I got home from work and it now says "on order". I think this is Buy.com's code for OOS and backordered. I really wanted a 360 for myself for Christmas and the $334 dollars shipped was a good deal but now I guess I'll have to cancel the order. They don't say when it will be in stock and unless I want to settle for a Halo green console at a B+M store I may be out of luck. Hmmmmmm.....what to do????[/quote]
hrmm,.. i must have got in right under the bar. i bought mine last monday at the same price. just received it today. it did take about 3 days to get out of that damn warehouse, though.

Hey guys. I just got my Elite bundle from Amazon today, so here's the update.

Didn't say "Go Big" on the box.
Lot 0741
Team FDOU
175W power brick
Chrome HDD
Manufacter date 10-08-2007
BenQ DVD Drive
65nm Falcon chipset

[quote name='Walt Jay']Hey guys. I just got my Elite bundle from Amazon today, so here's the update.

Lot 0741
Team FDOU
175W power brick
Chrome HDD
BenQ DVD Drive
65nm Falcon chipset[/QUOTE]

sounds like they got rid of the older ones they were selling. Great to hear. I might try amazon now. But i'm not sure if i should get it at best buy for the replacment warranty. With tax and the $80 warranty its $112 more. Thats almost a third of the cost. I am leaning toward amazon. That is if they are shipping out the newer elites.

[quote name='Walt Jay']Hey guys. I just got my Elite bundle from Amazon today, so here's the update.

Lot 0741
Team FDOU
175W power brick
Chrome HDD
BenQ DVD Drive

sounds like they got rid of the older ones they were selling. Great to hear. I might try amazon now. But i'm not sure if i should get it at best buy for the replacment warranty. With tax and the $80 warranty its $112 more. Thats almost a third of the cost. I am leaning toward amazon. That is if they are shipping out the newer elites.

[quote name='cheapmonkeyz']sounds like they got rid of the older ones they were selling. Great to hear. I might try amazon now. But i'm not sure if i should get it at best buy for the replacment warranty. With tax and the $80 warranty its $112 more. Thats almost a third of the cost. I am leaning toward amazon. That is if they are shipping out the newer elites.[/quote]
No sales tax and free shipping are key reasons I held out until Amazon got them back in stock. While BB's replacement plan is quick and convienent, I'll just stick with MS's free 3-year RROD warranty.

Thanks for the update regarding buy.com. It looks like the Elites and Premiums are back in stock at Amazon now. Tempting...It looks like people are getting Falcons with Premiums, Elites, and Arcades from Amazon. No tax and free shipping from Amazon may be the way to.

[quote name='smoger']The one I received today from buy.com is a Falcon also[/QUOTE]
Wow that's cool! I canceled my Buy.com order and ordered a Pro from Amazon tonight. I lost the Buy.com 5% coupon but Amazon says it should ship by the 10th. No tax and free shipping are still cool but I was gonna get a free years' subscription to Redbook from Buy.com. What am I gonna read in the bathroom now?

Lot 0741
Team FDOU
175W power brick
Chrome HDD
BenQ DVD Drive
thanks for the info! just ordered mine :bouncy: been holding out for a while now. will update when i get it (should be by 12/10)

[quote name='Walt Jay']No sales tax and free shipping are key reasons I held out until Amazon got them back in stock. While BB's replacement plan is quick and convienent, I'll just stick with MS's free 3-year RROD warranty.[/quote]

Now that you have had the Falcon Elite for a day or two. What are your feeling regarding heat issues and the fan/drive noise? I am interested because I have Falcon Elite that I may return because the fan/drive noise is the same as my old Elite.

[quote name='xbltheshadow']Anyone here know if the Arcade SKU comes with the Falcon chipset? I know it has HDMI, but have seen conflicting reports about what chipset it has.[/QUOTE]

Random chance as always. Apperently the Arcade's were the least likely to be Falcons, but they might be by now. Just get as new of a lot number and manufacturing date as possible.

[quote name='snoopcogg']Now that you have had the Falcon Elite for a day or two. What are your feeling regarding heat issues and the fan/drive noise? I am interested because I have Falcon Elite that I may return because the fan/drive noise is the same as my old Elite.[/QUOTE]

It's the same. There's nothing about the Falcon models that makes them any quieter. They're still crazy loud (although the BenQ drive is technically quieter than the older drives I had, but that's like saying a blender is quieter than a lawn mower).

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to find a truly silent 360. I understand that they will never be completely silent but most of the noise I get from my launch system and my elite are from the drive and not the fans. I have a BenQ drive in one and a Hitachi in the other. The Hitachi is little louder that the BenQ but difference is really minimal. I have a 40GB PS3 from the K-Mart deal and I can't believe how quiet and cool it stays. I thought that the falcon could help to resolve some of the noise issues but it seems that the issue is not the fans its the drives.

Yeah, even if they got the fans silent I don't think it would help much because of that drive.

I wish they'd do SOMETHING to fix it. Find some drive that works, let you cache a ton of data to the hard drive and run the optical drive slower, SOMETHING. Right now the noise is why I can't use the 360 as my main system. If they did that, then they could worry about the fans. They probably need a total redesign. I guess the Playstation 3 probably uses a single larger fan or something like that? If you look at the 360's design, it's really form over function. They used two smaller fans, stuck the (HOT) GPU right under the optical drive (!), and on newer units have a heat pipe coming off that GPU into another area of the system where it's connected to a second heatsync...which is really a hacked together design.

I'm looking into buying an elite soon, and was reading these posts about the different drives, etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the optimal/preferred (generally agreed upon as the best specs) for the Elite?

I'm not much of a technical guy, so any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

[quote name='Orrimarrko']I'm looking into buying an elite soon, and was reading these posts about the different drives, etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the optimal/preferred (generally agreed upon as the best specs) for the Elite?

Thanks,
Steve[/QUOTE]

Not exactly sure what you're asking here.

Pro
20GB HDD
White Casing, Controller, and Headset
HDMI Port, Component/Composite Cables

Elite
120GB HDD
Black Casing, Controller, and Headset
HDMI Port, Component/Composite Cables + HDMI Cable

The drives should be the same in both models. It's the Falcon chipset that would have the latest drive (BenQ). Both Pro's and Elite's can have Falcons.

Here's the comparison chart over at Xbox.com
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm?WT.svl=nav

[quote name='Orrimarrko']I'm looking into buying an elite soon, and was reading these posts about the different drives, etc.

Thanks,
Steve[/quote]

In theory, the "best" Elite to receive currently will have the following:

- Falcon chipset coupled with the 175w Power Supply Unit.
- BenQ Disc Drive.

The Falcons are proven to consume less power which some translate to savings per month (doesn't get more CAG than that). Whereas the BenQ is supposedly the quietest drive of the 3 spread across all iterations of the 360.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3152&p=6
this article sums up pretty well why the falcons have received so much hype.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']In theory, the "best" Elite to receive currently will have the following:

- BenQ Disc Drive.

The Falcons are proven to consume less power which some translate to savings per month (doesn't get more CAG than that). Whereas the BenQ is supposedly the quietest drive of the 3 spread across all iterations of the 360.

this article sums up pretty well why the falcons have received so much hype.[/quote]

Perfect - this is exactly what I wanted to know.

Thank you!

[quote name='pogipinoy27']
The Falcons are proven to consume less power which some translate to savings per month (doesn't get more CAG than that).[/quote]

Aren't we talking pennies and cents here? I'm not doubting that is uses less power but is it significant enough like Energy Star energy-efficient rated appliances versus non-energy efficient appliances, wherein the savings each year is in the hundreds of dollars?

[quote name='pogipinoy27']In theory, the "best" Elite to receive currently will have the following:

- BenQ Disc Drive.

this article sums up pretty well why the falcons have received so much hype.[/quote]

One last thing.

I took a look at the box, and there doesn't seem to be a listing of the specs on it.

Is there any way to determine the chipset and the drive pre-purchase (or post purchase, for that matter.)

Thanks again,
Steve

[quote name='Orrimarrko']One last thing.

I took a look at the box, and there doesn't seem to be a listing of the specs on it.

Is there any way to determine the chipset and the drive pre-purchase (or post purchase, for that matter.)

Thanks again,
Steve[/quote]

Consensus seems to be if the box label says 175 W, you are getting a Falcon. I would still check the power supply to see if it is really 175 W, and you can also try to check the motherboard if you want to ruin your eyesight by squinting into the dark internals through two offset patterns of tiny holes.

If the label says 203 W, consensus is you still may have a Falcon, but you will have to do the squinting through holes with a flashlight test. Seems to be more likely for certain datecodes/teams, like 0738 or greater and FDOU team (see the box label), but it might be just as useful to buy it when the Sun is directly overhead as it is to check datecodes and teams. I'd say, however, that if the datecode is before 0730 it's pretty much not a Falcon.

No idea about the drive; orimental posted above that Falcons would have the BenQ - first I have heard of a relationship between Falcon and a particular drive.

Anyway, this is becoming more about hardware and less about deals; if you want more info on the hardware, search for Falcon on the xbox.com forums or similar forums.

[quote name='gantt']Consensus seems to be if the box label says 175 W, you are getting a Falcon. I would still check the power supply to see if it is really 175 W, and you can also try to check the motherboard if you want to ruin your eyesight by squinting into the dark internals through two offset patterns of tiny holes.

If the label says 203 W, consensus is you still may have a Falcon, but you will have to do the squinting through holes with a flashlight test. Seems to be more likely for certain datecodes/teams, like 0738 or greater and FDOU team (see the box label), but it might be just as useful to buy it when the Sun is directly overhead as it is to check datecodes and teams. I'd say, however, that if the datecode is before 0730 it's pretty much not a Falcon.

No idea about the drive; I think someone posted above that all 175 W Elites have BenQ - first I have heard this.

Anyway, this is becoming more about hardware and less about deals; if you want more info on the hardware, search for Falcon on the xbox.com forums or similar forums.[/QUOTE]

I got a 175W Elite with a Hitachi unfortunately, so they don't all have BenQs.

[quote name='nintendokid']Aren't we talking pennies and cents here? I'm not doubting that is uses less power but is it significant enough like Energy Star energy-efficient rated appliances versus non-energy efficient appliances, wherein the savings each year is in the hundreds of dollars?[/quote]

probably...but according to the site that did the tests themselves, they hypothesize that the falcons could save you as much as dollars per month so meh w/e.

Also, this bundle came up in my goldbox today on amazon so I went ahead and bit even though I don't know what I'll get. Hopefully a falcon though:D

Anyone think I should wait a couple more weeks to catch a bundle deal from a store? I could buy it now, but I don't want to miss out on any free goodies...

[quote name='Matsumoto11756']Wow that's cool! I canceled my Buy.com order and ordered a Pro from Amazon tonight. I lost the Buy.com 5% coupon but Amazon says it should ship by the 10th. No tax and free shipping are still cool but I was gonna get a free years' subscription to Redbook from Buy.com. What am I gonna read in the bathroom now?[/quote]

:applause: i chose maxim

do all you guys know about the 2 free arcade games deal? i got the link from a dominos pizza receipt but the offer code is very generic so im sure it's good for multiple uses. if it's not common knowledge i'll post details when i get home tonight.

[quote name='smoger']:applause: i chose maxim

do all you guys know about the 2 free arcade games deal? i got the link from a dominos pizza receipt but the offer code is very generic so im sure it's good for multiple uses. if it's not common knowledge i'll post details when i get home tonight.[/QUOTE]

2 free arcade games deal? The only deal I know of is the halo 3 deal from MS.

Technically the 28 watts in power savings may come out to $5 or $6 a year with 3 hours of play every day. Not a huge difference imo.

Hey guys, quick question. What's the packaging like for Forza and MUA? An Amazon seller has Forza 2 for 29.99 but its the bundled edition. Thanks.

Well, my 360 Pro Bundle from Amazon has been stricken with the red ring of death. I contacted Amazon and they're going to send a replacement as soon as I send mine back to them.

Is there any way I can keep the HD? I don't want to lose my Assassin's Creed and GTA:SA saves and I certainly don't want to buy a memory card. You think if I just take it out and keep it Amazon won't notice?

[quote name='Malice']Well, my 360 Pro Bundle from Amazon has been stricken with the red ring of death. I contacted Amazon and they're going to send a replacement as soon as I send mine back to them.

Is there any way I can keep the HD? I don't want to lose my Assassin's Creed and GTA:SA saves and I certainly don't want to buy a memory card. You think if I just take it out and keep it Amazon won't notice?[/quote]
Yeah I don't think so. I would just buy a 64MB memory card. I forgot where but I saw it for only $13.

Like, brand new? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Malice']Well, my 360 Pro Bundle from Amazon has been stricken with the red ring of death. I contacted Amazon and they're going to send a replacement as soon as I send mine back to them.

Is there any way I can keep the HD? I don't want to lose my Assassin's Creed and GTA:SA saves and I certainly don't want to buy a memory card. You think if I just take it out and keep it Amazon won't notice?[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']Like, brand new? :whistle2:s[/quote]If you're refering to the 360 itself, I bought it on Amazon on November 27. So it's pretty new.

As for Amazon sending me a brand new replacement, I assume that's the case. I certainly ain't taking a refurb.

Best bet is to find a friend with a 360 and use your HDD to sign up for a silver XBL account. It won't save everything but at least you'll retain most of it. Once you get a new console you just recover your account. At least you get to keep your achievements.

Was it a Falcon?

[quote name='Malice']If you're refering to the 360 itself, I bought it on Amazon on November 27. So it's pretty new.

As for Amazon sending me a brand new replacement, I assume that's the case. I certainly ain't taking a refurb.[/quote]

Sucks to hear about your Amazon 360 man. I hope things turn out OK. I just ordered an Amazon Xbox 360. I asked for the Gold Box discount of 5% before I ordered and they gave me the difference after I purchased. Not too bad of a deal for $332.49

Ordered a 360 Pro on Tuesday from Amazon. It is a Falcon. I just ordered an Elite and will be waiting until next week to get it. Will see if that is a Falcon as well.

[quote name='lpj8']Sucks to hear about your Amazon 360 man. I hope things turn out OK. I just ordered an Amazon Xbox 360. I asked for the Gold Box discount of 5% before I ordered and they gave me the difference after I purchased. Not too bad of a deal for $332.49[/QUOTE]

How exactly did you "ask" for it?

I appreciate the comments guys. No my original 360 from Amazon wasn't a Falcon.

But the good news is I just got my replacement 360 From Amazon, and it IS A FALCON!

Lot # 0743
Team: FDOU
Manufacture Date: 2007-10-26
175W PSU

And I looked inside of it with a very bright flashlight, and no copper pipe!

Looks like Amazon is shipping Falcons guys!

Any updates on Falcon Elites from Amazon? I ordered one recently and am really wanting it to be a Falcon. If not its going back...lol

bread's done
Back