XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='thorbahn3']Just buy one of those $29.99 XBL 3 month kits or wait until there's a deal on CAG. If I remember right, the Halo 3 wireless headsets were $14.99 at Kmart.[/quote]

Was that a clearance item at Kmart?

My local kmarts are usually picked pretty dry before I get to them.

Three questions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You said the intercooler will damage the X360, in what way, it helps prevent the console from the RRoD? Scratches arent that harmful.

Do you know of someone who has never gotten the RRoD?

Will you keep your gamertag even after replacing your X360?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you upon response =)

This is lame that I have to pay 100 dollars to fix my 360 when it is their fault it is broken.

I didn't do anything to my 360 and out of nowhere I get the E74 error with the one red light.

Just got RROD today. I did get some strange graphic error when my friend played GTA4 at my place last week. I didn't think too much of it since I've only played RockBand since. And rockband has all kinds of screen filters so I wouldn't have really noticed the same errors.

I called MS and got a decent rep, and he is sending me my Coffin. I just really wish I could have said "yeah yeah yeah, just send me my shipping box". But I didn't want to be a dick, so I let him read off their support script to me.

I knew this day would come, but my 360 that dates back to 3-19-2006 was a trooper. I just hope my next one lasts as long or longer. I'd hate to be one of those guys who goes through 5+ xboxes.

[quote name='jman619']My box came today. I get to ship it tomorrow. After reading the faq I feel a little better. This is my second xbox 360 I have sent in hopefully my last.[/quote]

Just sit back and start playing your backlog to pass the time.

just a tip for people who want a really reliable headset that never breaks....get the turtle beach headsets they never break ive had mine since the 360 first game out and love it....also ANY headset with a 2.5 mm tip will fit it....you dont need the full 360 piece for the headset to work and usually other brands are alot more reliable than the piece of crap microsoft brand ones

[quote name='deyemondbacks']just a tip for people who want a really reliable headset that never breaks....get the turtle beach headsets they never break ive had mine since the 360 first game out and love it....also ANY headset with a 2.5 mm tip will fit it....you dont need the full 360 piece for the headset to work and usually other brands are alot more reliable than the piece of crap microsoft brand ones[/quote]

I've tried the 360 TB headset last year. Hurts my ears after 20 minutes :( Sound Quality is so so and can get annoying when you hear more of the person than the sound/music from the games.

Oh, what the fuck. According to UPS, my console was received at the repair center on the 18th. Yesterday I got a reminder e-mail for my repair, saying they were still waiting for it. Now today I check the status, and the repair was canceled. On top of that, I received two new repair request confirmation e-mails, both with a carrier of "TRUCK_LV" and tracking numbers, both "Waiting for Console at Repair Center."

They shipped the 360 today.

Different serial, damn... looks like I'm on the refurb train. I'd rather they fixed my Elite because I know how I treated it and such. :(

[quote name='yukine']They shipped the 360 today.

Different serial, damn... looks like I'm on the refurb train. I'd rather they fixed my Elite because I know how I treated it and such. :([/quote]

Well I would be happy to get another serial number than my old one back.

Here's my problem. My 360 now will power up sometimes but the screen will instantly turn green on dashboard or it will load up with no video but you can hear the audio. It had 3 RROD before but after I let it sit & tried again it started working again. I called for my coffin yesterday and told them that it was 3 RROD. I decided to try it again today and it was the no video problem. I wanted to play some GTAIV so I toweled it and now it works perfectly again. Mistake I guess LOL

I guess my question is should I try to force the 3 RROD to comeout somehow or just send it as is and write a little note and say that it did in fact have 3 RROD but now it doesn't? I did make it 3 RROD during the towel trick somehow but I don't know if that was cause it was overheated. I thought 3 RROD had nothing to do with overheating and only 2 RROD is for an overheated unit. I'm thinking I'll prolly just send it in as is with no note and see wtf happens. Any thoughts?

[quote name='flytronix']Here's my problem. My 360 now will power up sometimes but the screen will instantly turn green on dashboard or it will load up with no video but you can hear the audio. It had 3 RROD before but after I let it sit & tried again it started working again. I called for my coffin yesterday and told them that it was 3 RROD. I decided to try it again today and it was the no video problem. I wanted to play some GTAIV so I toweled it and now it works perfectly again. Mistake I guess LOL

I guess my question is should I try to force the 3 RROD to comeout somehow or just send it as is and write a little note and say that it did in fact have 3 RROD but now it doesn't? I did make it 3 RROD during the towel trick somehow but I don't know if that was cause it was overheated. I thought 3 RROD had nothing to do with overheating and only 2 RROD is for an overheated unit. I'm thinking I'll prolly just send it in as is with no note and see wtf happens. Any thoughts?[/quote]

I'd try and get the red rings back and send it like that, best case scenario they'll send you another 360 that doesn't have the video problem. Worst case they'll send you back that 360 with the red rings fixed but not the video problem cos they didn't check for that, but it isn't covered under the extended warranty anyway.

Ok playing COD4 for awhile just made the screen turn green again. When I tried turning it back on the no video but audio problem came back so that's better than it working I guess. LOL
I think at this point doing the towel trick is only helping it come back to life. I'll just say it had 3 RROD but then this happened when I last tried to turn it on or do you guys think I shouldn't leave a note at all and just see what I get back?

[quote name='mer71']I had a E74 error, which is video. They received my 360 and shipped a new one the same day.[/quote]

You lied and told them you had 3 RROD on the phone? I'm guessing your regular year warranty had run out already. How long ago was this? Maybe they don't check all the 360s they get in now and just ship another one out same day. Cause I called yesterday and there was no bs troubleshooting like there was awhile back. Just try to turn it on...what color is on power supply...ok wait 10 secs then turn on again...color on power supply then guy just started taking my info.

Yeah, when I called the CSR just took my word for it that I ran through the troubleshooting steps and just setup a RMA for me.

No hassle at all, and I'm getting my 360 back quite fast, still sucks I even had to deal with it but not bad at all.

No I did not have to lie. Last time it broke it was RRD. But, before it broke it was distorting the video, just like this time.

Yeah it was pretty hassle free process on phone. I started laughing at end though cause I knew it was some Indian guy but he said my name is "Ryan" That must've been the generic American name he had to read off the script. LOL

Does anyone know what happens if they get it and turn it on and it isn't 3 RROD? Anybody sent one back and it wasn't 3 RROD but some other problem but they fixed it or sent you a refurb back anyways?

I got the dreaded RRoD today and MS had me go through all the troubleshooting blah blah. They then tried to tell me they don't send the boxes anymore and I was finally able to talk him into it. But I'm just glad it happened now and not later, now I play the waiting game :( Also my 360 is a launch console and no RRoD until now...........

No troubleshooting bs here just 2 attempts to turn it on & check the color on power supply. Dude gave me 2 options for shipping back. get emailed shipping label or they send me coffin. Sounds like you got a pissed off CSR.

DRE? I've heard a lot about COD4 making boxs lockup too so I guess I'll try that to get RROD. Does anyone know what happens if they get it and turn it on and it isn't 3 RROD? Anybody sent one back and it wasn't 3 RROD but some other problem but they fixed it or sent you a refurb back anyways?

[quote name='flytronix']No troubleshooting bs here just 2 attempts to turn it on & check the color on power supply. Dude gave me 2 options for shipping back. get emailed shipping label or they send me coffin. Sounds like you got a pissed off CSR.

DRE? I've heard a lot about COD4 making boxs lockup too so I guess I'll try that to get RROD. Does anyone know what happens if they get it and turn it on and it isn't 3 RROD? Anybody sent one back and it wasn't 3 RROD but some other problem but they fixed it or sent you a refurb back anyways?[/quote]

it's a risk you have to take.

I did the online repair thing. I didn't want to talk to any representatives.

I got my coffin today and then put my 360 in it and drove down to UPS and sent it off.

Right when I set it down on the table, the guy at the counter was like, "So your 360 broke. This is three day ground shipping and it will get to the repair center in Texas on Monday."

I asked him how he knew and he said that they get broken 360s all the time, just not as frequently as before.

The 360 failure rate must be astronomical.

[quote name='mer71']No I did not have to lie. Last time it broke it was RRD. But, before it broke it was distorting the video, just like this time.[/quote]

That is the exact same thing mine did. The video freezes with white lines then it got the rrod, and worked fine maybe a day or two then after that it got the rrod, and wouldn't come on again. I ended up sending it off yesterday. This is my second 360 that has died,but with my first one I bought it used, and the seal was broken so I wasn't able to send it off, and all that. The second one I bought was brand new, and this is the first time I sent it to microsoft. The faq is really helpful with everyone question I could ever think of.

Just played COD4 for about an hour with the green colors on the screen hoping for a lockup or to cause RROD but nothing. Turned 360 off then back on and no video again just audio.
Something gotta make it RROD somehow. LOL I mean they should know that if they get a box with that problem come in it had to have RROD before but might have fixed itself.

Just got my first RROD. Ironically, Im not too pissed off by it as I have a PS3 as well so gaming wise I have a backup.

Pretty disheartening, manufactured July 2007, HDMI, premium.

May just buy an elite, ship this bastard back and sell/trade whatever they send me from MS.

well ended up going over to Walmart as I had an extra $50 on a gift card I hadnt used and picked up an Arcade to replace my Pro.

BenQ, Falcon, HDMI, manufactured March 2008

Pretty happy with that.

Ill deal with MS and whatever comes of that Ill lob it off on Craigslist or Gamestop it for trade credit.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Just got my first RROD. Ironically, Im not too pissed off by it as I have a PS3 as well so gaming wise I have a backup.

Pretty disheartening, manufactured July 2007, HDMI, premium.

May just buy an elite, ship this bastard back and sell/trade whatever they send me from MS.[/quote]

My July 2007, HDMI, Premium actually just bit the dust a couple days ago too. The day after I got my PS3 actually, MS way of punishing me I suppose.

Sucks my launch console died.

A lot of people here have 2007 versions and I was a bit proud mine was pushing along, until it died last weekend.

Wonder if they transferred the licenses automatically for me? Didn't they just announce the DRM thing like today? They already shipped my console a few days ago.

I guess I'll just have to see, getting my 360 back tomorrow.

[quote name='redfusion']I got mine back today, plug it in, and it red rings right away. What the hell, do they not check it before they ship it out?[/quote]

Holy shit that sucks dude...must've gotten a dud (go figure :roll:)

Sent mine out yesterday, a week after I got it and exactly 2 weeks after I purchased it...and now the news of a lesser price comes up - great!

I guess I stil did make out like a bandit in my trade with a fellow cag (might've been less cost though!), but I'm bitter about the whole RROD thing...in 5 fuckin days of playtime!!!

[quote name='Tuc250']My July 2007, HDMI, Premium actually just bit the dust a couple days ago too. The day after I got my PS3 actually, MS way of punishing me I suppose.[/quote]

Well I guess we got a bad batch. I did some research on this today. We actually had one of the first rollouts of the premiums with HDMI, so Im not surprised that mcuh by what has happened. First run machines are much more prone to a failure especially with MS and new SKUs.

On a bright side, dealing with MS this morning was pretty much a breeze. Whether or not it turns out right is another matter, but I got my shipping label already from them and am shipping the broken box tomorrow.

I got my PS3 back in February of this year. I play my 360 far more, so it held up a few months before getting pissed off about the PS3 sitting right next to it.

I already got my replacement Xbox though. Went and got an Arcade shortly after the RROD and got supposedly the best combination of current models (BenQ/Falcon) so lets see if this one has legs.

Ironically, I had a box prior that didnt have HDMI, but gave it to a family member as I wanted HDMI. That is a premium manufactuerd in July of 2006, and its still kicking lol.

Woohoo, after failing to fix my original launch console, I am now being shipped a Oct 2006 refurb (based on the S/N at least)!!! go MS!!!! :p

Going by the serial, the refurbished Elite I'm getting was manufactured around the end of June 2007.

Just a few weeks newer than the one I sent in, I was hoping I'd get one beyond August as I think that is when they started using the 65 nm.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']How can you tell what you're getting back by the serial?[/QUOTE]

Looking at the last five digits, the first of the last five is the year it was made, and the 2nd and 3rd of the last five are the week of the year it was made.

[quote name='yukine']Going by the serial, the refurbished Elite I'm getting was manufactured around the end of June 2007.

Just a few weeks newer than the one I sent in, I was hoping I'd get one beyond August as I think that is when they started using the 65 nm.[/QUOTE]

I think for the most part they try to match what people sent in. Since you sent in a 90nm Elite, they are sending you back a 90nm Elite. Since I sent in a 90nm no-HDMI premium, they are sending me back a 90nm no-HDMI premium.

The main problem is that most of their refurbs likely have the GPUs and CPUs taken from overheated 360s that RROD'd. A large percentage of those CPU/GPUs may be damaged in some way, like the first refurb I was sent back had the 2D graphics sporadically corrupting.

Basically what they do when your console RRODs is they detach the important chips (i.e. CPU, GPU) then throw away the motherboard since it is warped. They then put your CPU/GPU on a new motherboard and send it back to someone else when they send their console in for repair. The only problem with this is that the overheating could have damaged either of those chips, especially if someone did the towel trick multiple times and whatnot. This is probably why many of the refurbs coming back have strange problems with them. It is really tough to QA a GPU that may have some minor damage somewhere...

I will probably replace my refurb with a 65nm CPU/65nm GPU XBOX 360 when they come out in August. By doing so I will be able to escape the 90nm RROD half-broken bottomless bin of RROD chips that exist in the MS repair depot. Since the PSU is different based on the chips you have, they probably can't send you an older chip unless they send you a new PSU with it as well.

[quote name='Ruined']I think for the most part they try to match what people sent in. Since you sent in a 90nm Elite, they are sending you back a 90nm Elite. Since I sent in a 90nm no-HDMI premium, they are sending me back a 90nm no-HDMI premium.

The main problem is that most of their refurbs likely have the GPUs and CPUs taken from overheated 360s that RROD'd. A large percentage of those CPU/GPUs may be damaged in some way, like the first refurb I was sent back had the 2D graphics sporadically corrupting.

Basically what they do when your console RRODs is they detach the important chips (i.e. CPU, GPU) then throw away the motherboard since it is warped. They then put your CPU/GPU on a new motherboard and send it back to someone else when they send their console in for repair. The only problem with this is that the overheating could have damaged either of those chips, especially if someone did the towel trick multiple times and whatnot. This is probably why many of the refurbs coming back have strange problems with them. It is really tough to QA a GPU that may have some minor damage somewhere...

I will probably replace my refurb with a 65nm CPU/65nm GPU XBOX 360 when they come out in August. By doing so I will be able to escape the 90nm RROD half-broken bottomless bin of RROD chips that exist in the MS repair depot. Since the PSU is different based on the chips you have, they probably can't send you an older chip unless they send you a new PSU with it as well.[/quote]

Good to know info here Ruined. I am going to add this to the FAQ shortly.
Thanks

bread's done
Back