Xbox Arcade for $130 @ Target + $30 GC

fatez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
This deal would work out to be like Amazon's or Walmart's to be about $100 for an Xbox Arcade. However some Target stores are giving $50 GiftCards instead of $30. Apparently the Weekly Ad for Target listed the Xbox Arcade to include a wired headset, to compensate for the error Target has reduce the price an additional $20.

from Target.com:

Includes game console and 1 wireless controller.
The Xbox 360 Arcade game does not include a wired headset. To compensate for this error the price will be further reduced to $130.00. (Value of wired headset is $19.99)

FREE $30 TARGET GIFTCARD® with purchase of this XBOX 360 system! Quantities limited; no rain checks. Terms and conditions apply to GiftCards.

edit: This deal is good again this week. No more $50 GC, only $30 GC now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back, all went as well as possible, payed 135 for the spring bundle, got the $50 gift card and asked for a 2nd bundle, ended up paying 85 for that after the card, and got another gift card for whatever in the future. Not bad, considering I needed a new console with a warranty, and I guess I have a backup, and second backup or gift for someone else now.

Target in Brandon, FL (Town Center one) for those who want to know, I think there's one console left lol.

PIcked up the last one on the floor. They did not have the Spring Bundle but the gal said they had 100 in the back. She said none of them were the spring bundle. I will go back later and see.

[quote name='fldash']Dare I ask what city and state? I'm tempted to do this, just because it's a good deal, not because I need another 360... I'm perfectly content with my PS3 and Wii.[/QUOTE]

Austin, TX @ Techridge

I'm confused -- can you really use this xbox to play the big releases? Once you upgrade this system with a harddrive to play real titles- doesn't the deal become a wash?

from yahoo answers:
Look for this info on the unit:
Lot Number: 0843X
Team: FDOU
Manufacture Date: 10/23/2008
PSU Output: 150W
Console Power Rating: 12.1A

[quote name='regis100']Can someone remind an Xbox noob like me how to tell if I have a Jasper chip or whatever it's supposed to be?[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, most if not all of the arcade units are Jasper units. Just check the manufacture date -- if it's 2010 (which most of them are), then it's a Jasper.

On that note, I picked up one. I couldn't resist the fact that I'm grabbing a 360 for essentially

Bought one and guess what... someone pulled a switch-er-roo and swapped their old crappy 360 with the new arcade and just peeled off the serial and stuck it on the one they returned .

It looked like crap with marks all over and the faceplate hinge was broken. Whoever the fuck took that back at Target an idiot.

Went back to get an exchange to find out they were all sold out... left with my $138 and a slightly emptier gas tank

[quote name='romeogbs19']In all honesty, most if not all of the arcade units are Jasper units. Just check the manufacture date -- if it's 2010 (which most of them are), then it's a Jasper.[/QUOTE]
As of April 2010, I believe.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm confused -- can you really use this xbox to play the big releases? Once you upgrade this system with a harddrive to play real titles- doesn't the deal become a wash?[/QUOTE]

You can play without a harddrive I think, but I know the spring bundle comes with memory cards, and even though they are small, you can hold plenty of saves on each. Coupled with the fact that you can use flash drives now, there are plenty of alternatives.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm confused -- can you really use this xbox to play the big releases? Once you upgrade this system with a harddrive to play real titles- doesn't the deal become a wash?[/QUOTE]

You can play any games on an arcade. The difference is you won't have room for demos and such. You can find 20GB drives for like $20. Microsoft was even selling 360 starter kits when they converted the dashboard and it needed more disk space.

Check Gamestop or ebay for a cheap 20GB 360 drive.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Bought one and guess what... someone pulled a switch-er-roo and swapped their old crappy 360 with the new arcade and just peeled off the serial and stuck it on the one they returned .

It looked like crap with marks all over and the faceplate hinge was broken. Whoever the fuck took that back at Target an idiot.

Went back to get an exchange to find out they were all sold out... left with my $138 and a slightly emptier gas tank[/QUOTE]

wow what a scumbag whoever did that, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I didnt hesitate to open mine immediately to make sure everything was in order. I reccomend everyone do same.

Just imagine if you decided to put it away, sell it elsewhere or give it as a gift. That would have sucked big time!

[quote name='RageBattle']You can play without a harddrive I think, but I know the spring bundle comes with memory cards, and even though they are small, you can hold plenty of saves on each. Coupled with the fact that you can use flash drives now, there are plenty of alternatives.[/QUOTE]

Actually, spring bundles don't necessarily come with memory cards. Remember if it's the Jasper unit, the 256MB memory is grafted into the system.

Besides grabbing a cheap 20g drive or a memory card, you can use a usb drive now, up to 16g.

[quote name='RageBattle']I didn't know that, I imagine still it works out similarly, except you can't swap them around I take it?[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's the only difference. Jaspers have the memory card grafted onto the board. I'm not sure if any Jaspers were ever shipped otherwise. If by chance you didn't look at the code for a 12.1V, then you know for sure whether you have a Jasper by the fact that there is no separate memory card with it when you open up the box.

Instead of buying a 360 HDD can I use an external USB HDD? I have an extra 250GB one laying around here..

[quote name='gldoorii']Instead of buying a 360 HDD can I use an external USB HDD? I have an extra 250GB one laying around here..[/QUOTE]
Yes but it will format it to only 16gb max.

[quote name='lorne']Yes but it will format it to only 16gb max.[/QUOTE]

Oh... Does the 360 have a lot of games that require installs like the PS3?

[quote name='gldoorii']Oh... Does the 360 have a lot of games that require installs like the PS3?[/QUOTE]
Nope

[quote name='gldoorii']Oh... Does the 360 have a lot of games that require installs like the PS3?[/QUOTE]
Game installs aren't required but are preferred. Faster, quieter and less stress on the system.

I just thought I would bring this up in a more appropriate topic, but the site has the Splinter Cell and Final Fantasy units listed with a gift card upon purchase as well. I'm thinking it might be possible to get those with some kind of good deal?

[quote name='lorne']Works fine for me. Install time may be a little longer but read time seems on par with the reg hard drive. I actually have 2 of the Kingwin cases on 2 xboxes. One is silver and that one doesn't power down with the system for some reason but the black one does.[/QUOTE]

What size hard drives are they? And how much does the XBox360 show is on there and available?

Well, I bought one for $130... I already have two, guess I'll trade in my old one to Gamestop. Stupid good deal.

Yeah was thinking about that as well. You can get $100 SC for this at Gamestop + whatever you can get for the games... So would almost make this better then free? Not sure though heh

No game requires it. You get improvements in performance and no constant spinning dvd sound. There are a few games where it's not allowed or doesnt work- Halo 3, crackdown (might've been fixed?) and a few others.

San Diego is sold out of these, at least at the 3 targets I hit (mission valley, balboa & gennessee, convoy). Might get more tomorrow morning but that's iffy. I plan on checking lemongrove tomorrow morning. I scored one yesterday and am trying to get one for a friend. (knew I should've bought 2).

It's a shame they don't bundle the arcade compilation discs with these.

I picked one up at Target for $135 w/$50 GC as well. Will I be fine with a 16GB FlashDrive or should I just get a bigger HD? I also have a PS3 and don't know how many games I'll end up with.

What concerns me is if after I buy a big harddrive MS will introduce a Slim bundle with a build in smaller harddrive and it will end up being a wash. I can still return it and see wait to see what happens...

I just picked one up too for $136 with tax with the $50 gift card. Nice deal. The store employee was questioning my purchase when according to him "90% of old Xbox 360 units break down." Sure, buddy.

[quote name='spideymike']I just picked one up too for $136 with tax with the $50 gift card. Nice deal. The store employee was questioning my purchase when according to him "90% of old Xbox 360 units break down." Sure, buddy.[/QUOTE]
as long as its the Falcon chip...its good to go.

Got the Spring Bundle Arcade for $136 + $50GC. Great, great deal.

Now I need to throw up my old 20GB 360 on Craigslist (got RROD once and was repaired, about a year and half ago), it still has about 6 months left on the 3 year warranty. What would a fair price for that be? $100?

fing best buy. Refused to price match without ad. Then refused to price match gift card.

I went by there to try and get it (i have no car so target is a problem), and then I went home to try and find the ad. Both the in store employee and the guy on the phone said they wouldnt match the gift card.

[quote name='SnoT']What size hard drives are they? And how much does the XBox360 show is on there and available?[/QUOTE]
Currently I'm using one 40gb and one 160gb drive. Of course the xbox will only show 16gb but it's a cheap way to add space if you have a spare hdd/case handy. You may get "incompatible" or unrecognized drive warning during format but it still works fine.

I'm thinking about trying to get one of these tomorrow... I may open it, I may not... May try to see it later... Is there a way to check Target stock?

[quote name='fldash']Is there a way to check Target stock?[/QUOTE]

Normally you can use the Target website to check stock, but it seems as though the Arcade is not listed there currently. If you visit a store that doesn't have any in stock, ask the Electronics department to check stock at other stores. They'll be able to tell you which stores in your area have stock and in what quantity.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Got the Spring Bundle Arcade for $136 + $50GC. Great, great deal.

Now I need to throw up my old 20GB 360 on Craigslist (got RROD once and was repaired, about a year and half ago), it still has about 6 months left on the 3 year warranty. What would a fair price for that be? $100?[/QUOTE]

You're better off trading it in at gamestop for $75 or $85. There are a lot of stupid people on CL but if anyone buys a repaired RROD from you for more than $75 they should be shot.

[quote name='RunRiot']fing best buy. Refused to price match without ad. Then refused to price match gift card.[/QUOTE]

Did you expect them to just take your word for it? Pricematching GCs are always highly YMMV and a big pain in the ass at BB.

[quote name='Organ Donor']Excellent deal. I wish the PS3 could be had for this cheap.[/QUOTE]

I keep waiting for the PS3 to drop to $250> Thats when I plan on getting one. Not enough good exclusives that fit my taste to get one before then IMO. I was really hoping for a PS3 price drop at E3...

Just picked up an Arcade at Target for $136 with a $50 gift card. Going to trade my two old ones into gamestop for credit towards the slim. Gonna replace my main with a slim and replace my secondary with a new one all for $180. Damn fine deal!

Finally found one after a few hours of searching. The Westminster, CA location didn't have any because "someone bought 17 of them earlier today". The following stores I went to were prepared for hoarders, either with sticky notes saying "MAXIMUM 1 PER CUSTOMER" next to the register to remind the clerks, and the last one I went to having their last two 360s sitting behind the counter.

Godddamnit. Just glad I found one. This is my first 360! YAY

Will a flash drive work in the Arcade and allow me to play backward compatible games without a hard drive?

(I got one at Walmart because Target still had them at $150 with GC, but no Banjo Bundle.)

[quote name='spideymike']I just picked one up too for $136 with tax with the $50 gift card. Nice deal. The store employee was questioning my purchase when according to him "90% of old Xbox 360 units break down." Sure, buddy.[/QUOTE]
He should have used reverse-psychology. "Yer gettin' an awesome deal, buddy! I've got dozens of these babies at home."

[quote name='soonersfan60']Will a flash drive work in the Arcade and allow me to play backward compatible games without a hard drive?

(I got one at Walmart because Target still had them at $150 with GC, but no Banjo Bundle.)[/QUOTE]

The pricetag at Target will still say $150, but just ask a clerk to scan it and they will confirm that its $130.
Yes, I'm sure a flash drive will work.

[quote name='sadboy']He should have used reverse-psychology. "Yer gettin' an awesome deal, buddy! I've got dozens of these babies at home."[/QUOTE]

lmao. Oh how true that statement is for some unlucky people such as myself though...

got to LaCrosse, WI and they were empty. Employees were talking over the deal and clearly had a couple in the back they were mulling over. I don't sweat that at all--I used to work at Target myself and a crap job like that deserves some sort of benefit. They were great about directing me to Winona, MN (20 miles away) they claimed they had 3 total I only saw and bought 1. They honored the full $50 gift card.

GL to everyone else, big thanks to OP.

If anyone is having trouble finding this deal and really wants one, my store(s) each had about 10 of them as of today. If you want me to pick one up for you just send me a PM and we can work something out. I am not looking to make any money just but I don't want to lose any either after shipping, taxes, etc.

How do I know if I got the Spring Bundle? I just grabbed whatever they had. It came with the two free games, Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts.

[quote name='Wagg']How do I know if I got the Spring Bundle? I just grabbed whatever they had. It came with the two free games, Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts.[/QUOTE]

Thats the spring bundle.

OK, thanks. I am new to the 360 so this helps. I also noticed the mfr date is 4/14/10. I imagine this is good because it's a recent mfr, and even though it says "256mb" on the package it should have 512mb, correct? (I am not going to hook it up until I get a HDMI cable next week anyways)

It comes with 512MB but the system uses some of that up so you're left with 200-250MB

I would just turn it on to make sure everything is working -- if something is wrong you'll be able to exchange the unit while theres still stock left in stores (if you wait a week to find out something isnt working right and Targets are sold out of Arcades then you'll be stuck sending the unit in to MS and end up with a refurb). Also go into the System Info screen and check the serial number with the one on the case to make sure it matches -- small chance of running into a problem or a mismatched serial number, but why risk it with a brand new console...

Target scans in the serial # when they make the sale (I would imagine for returns), and to be honest I really wouldn't care much either way if they ran out of stock if it was broken, I'd just get a refund. There will always be a "better deal". At this price it makes little difference to me.

bread's done
Back