Xbox Games on Demand sale 75% off

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
http://majornelson.com/2012/06/14/june-19-25-games-on-demand-sale/

June 19 – July 2 Games on Demand Sale

the sale has been extended!

These deals will be available in all Xbox LIVE regions where the title is available.

$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Alone in the Dark
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bolt
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bomberman Act: Zero
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
$3.99 (normally $13.99) 73% off Conan
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Dark Void
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off FaceBreaker
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Kameo
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Meet the Robinsons
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Open Season
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Perfect Dark Zero
$4.99 (normally $14.99) 73% off Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Rockstar Table Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off SEGA Superstars Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Surf’s Up
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tornado Outbreak
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Virtua Tennis 2009
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Viva Pinata Party Animals

I think Prince of Persia and Conan are great at this price!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tylerh1701']Stand alone disc (assuming it works) is still more valuable than digital copies. [/QUOTE]

For real? I thought my 360 and ps3 full of downloaded games was worth thousands of dollars?!!!??!!!!

[quote name='airco']No it is absolutely not in any way shape or form. I don't have anything against JRPGs - Earthbound and Mother 3 are some of my favorite games of all time, and I loved Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, and Nier. I'm a huge weeaboo too, so it's not like animu-style art offends me, either. Vesperia was just one of the dullest, most mindless mashfests I've played in my life wrapped inside of the most cliched, horrendously written, poorly translated, dragged out shitfest of a plot I've had the displeasure of experiencing in years. I cannot understand how that game and that series as a whole could possibly be viewed as anything above a vile turd, much less acquire a fanbase.

I apologize, but I only put that horrible game behind me a few weeks ago. Seeing that name still triggers a bit of PTSD.

Back to downloadable games, at least I can pawn off terrible video game discs for a few dollars - like, say Vesperia. Had that been a download (I know it's not on GoD but bear with me), I wouldn't have been able to trade it in for a dollar more than I bought it for.[/QUOTE]

I understand Vesperia is not a game for everyone,however,bashing the entire franchise based off of one game is ridiculous! Especially considering Symphonia is easily one of the best RPGS of all time. Plus I'm
Sure the worse Tales game is easily better then Nier..

Anyway, I'd recommend Dark Void and Vive Piñata for that price. BC,Conan, and Perfect Dark are ok,but nothing great. I guess they're worth trying for that price

I'll definitely be grabbing a couple games I missed. I really want to see Microsoft do more deals like this, so they'll be getting my support in this sale.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Stand alone disc (assuming it works) is still more valuable than digital copies.[/QUOTE]

At this price level, who cares?

[quote name='HDShadow']To be fair, they're entitled to the $60 (probably less, but point still stands) they spend yearly on the service. With that said, I don't see the hate, this sale rocks. 400 points is a total bite for me when it comes to these games, and...

This. A million times this. I'm a huge XBLA junkie, but I can't tell you how many games I avoided because disc swapping is just too much. I recently bought Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on Games on Demand and I'm putting in much more hours in it than I already intended just because it took seriously a few button pushes and it was booting up. I love downloadable games. Sure, I'll always enjoy having games like Mass Effect 3 on my shelf for my collection, but games like these? Not only do the quality of their boxes probably not hold up, but hell, I'll play them more just because they're readily available at all times.[/QUOTE]
really disc swapping is too much for you? has society truely hit that low point???

[quote name='lowgear26']Disc swapping is too hard? People of today would have fucking died playing a commodore 64 game.....Load"*",8,1

TERRIBLE[/QUOTE]

Even worse, without Epyx Fast Load cartridge. :cry:

[quote name='nadohawk']Gamestop B2G1 Free destroys this deal.[/QUOTE]

Sure, if you actually enjoy buying used games that come with nothing but a cheap generic case (usually in terrible condition with a thousand stickers plastered all over it), a generic printed cover, and a game disc that looks like its been used as a dogs chew toy then your absolutely right in that some people will deem it a better deal. Of course, if people don't like receiving games in this condition then they should stay as far away from Gamestop's used games as humanely possible and for those people.....well, lets just say that the cheapest price is not always the best deal.

I am actually one of the last people that would buy a game from the on demand section simply for the fact that physical copies of games have resale value and digital do not. That said, I would pick the GoD sale over going with Gamestop every day of the week and twice on Sunday, even if Gamestop were selling the games for 1.00 each.

[quote name='lowgear26']Disc swapping is too hard? People of today would have fucking died playing a commodore 64 game.....Load"*",8,1

TERRIBLE[/QUOTE]

Load"*",8,1. OMG is that a blast from the past. How in gods name did you remember that. I remember it now that I see it but I don't think I ever would have been able to pull that out of the mental cobwebs, lol.

TERRIBLE[/QUOTE]

OMG is that a bast from the past. How in gods name did you remember that. I remember it now that I see it but I don't think I ever would have been able to pull that out of the mental cobwebs, lol.

[quote name='ZForce915'] Anything less than $5 I'm choosing digital every time. I'm not going to mess with trying to sell a game I paid $5 for.[/QUOTE]

You're looking at recouping some of your cost from a disc game but what about just giving it to a friend/family member who wants to play it. Or trading it with someone else who has a game you wanted to play (like a certain forum on this website). Or years from now, when your grandchildren want to power up the retro Xbox 360 they found at a garage sale, you can dust off your collection of Xbox 360 games you've kept in the attic and show them the finer points of shooting dudes.

I totally get what you're saying about the convenience. I just think that by limiting any future transactions to require some type of exchange of money doesn't allow you to envision the full potential that having a disc as opposed to a downloadable title has.

That being said, I'll still be picking up some titles myself as some of the profits do go back to the developer instead of just Gamestop's pockets.

[quote name='jhferry']I actually have this weird curiosity about Bionic Commando. $5 might make me scratch that itch.[/QUOTE]

excellent game. i highly recommend!

[quote name='Bosamba'] I just think that by limiting any future transactions to require some type of exchange of money doesn't allow you to envision the full potential that having a disc as opposed to a downloadable title has.[/QUOTE]
What about the fact that the digital copy follows you everywhere?

Those dusty old games don't happen in the digital world because you can play them whenever you feel like it.

[quote name='Llamaw00d']

Sony on a near regular basis gives full games. [/QUOTE]
Nope, they let you rent games.

Also as someone pointed out they don't let you choose which games you're renting.

It's like you joined Netflix but instead of picking movies they just send you whatever movie they want to and hope you haven't seen it yet.

i bought prince of persia from amazon warehouse just before this announcement was made. my order cancellation request didn't make it in time and the game is on it's way to me. since i plan to buy PoP as a game on demand, can i refuse the delivery from amazon and not be charged anything? or would i be better off trying to sell it on CL. i know i won't try best buy since the TIV is only $.50

To me having the Game on the harddrive is a plus. I install all the games I'm currently playing anyway to save on load time. People talk about too lazy to change a disc. That's not the point. The point is I'm sick of having to keep all those lousy cases in a box in my closet. I'm sick of having all those discs in a wallet that occassionally my two year old gets into.

Now I can have the game without all the clutter and don't have to worry about trying to sell it for a few dollars (because I will clutter my house keeping those stupid cases at the thought of being able to sell the game sometime down the road)

There are a few games on here I'll grab. It may not be the greatest selection but its nice to see a sale on full games.

[quote name='tribalnoise']i bought prince of persia from amazon warehouse just before this announcement was made. my order cancellation request didn't make it in time and the game is on it's way to me. since i plan to buy PoP as a game on demand, can i refuse the delivery from amazon and not be charged anything? or would i be better off trying to sell it on CL. i know i won't try best buy since the TIV is only $.50[/QUOTE]

Amazon should accept the return as long as you do it quickly enough, you might have to pay for shipping though.

[quote name='tylerh1701']im pretty sure you can refuse delivery and not have to pay return shipping.[/QUOTE]that's what i thought. i probably won't be home when it gets dropped at my door but i think i can just go to the post office or UPS and tell them i was supposed to refuse it.

[quote name='KrisMKX']Not if the discs are all grubbed up and it comes in a generic case.[/QUOTE]

What case or physical manual do you get with GoD?

[quote name='KrisMKX']For real? I thought my 360 and ps3 full of downloaded games was worth thousands of dollars?!!!??!!!![/QUOTE]

If you ever get banned for any reason, that value goes down to zero.

[quote name='kayne2000']really disc swapping is too much for you? has society truely hit that low point???[/QUOTE]

Not at all, L.A. Noire was my favorite game last year, and that was on 360 :p

It's the appeal and ease of not having to do that. I'm often online with about 3 or 4 friends on Skype playing 360 games. With how compulsive we are in playing a few games in one game and a few more in another, the ability to hot swap games is awesome! It's also a god send when you're moving.

[quote name='Bosamba']You're looking at recouping some of your cost from a disc game but what about just giving it to a friend/family member who wants to play it. Or trading it with someone else who has a game you wanted to play (like a certain forum on this website). Or years from now, when your grandchildren want to power up the retro Xbox 360 they found at a garage sale, you can dust off your collection of Xbox 360 games you've kept in the attic and show them the finer points of shooting dudes.

I totally get what you're saying about the convenience. I just think that by limiting any future transactions to require some type of exchange of money doesn't allow you to envision the full potential that having a disc as opposed to a downloadable title has.

That being said, I'll still be picking up some titles myself as some of the profits do go back to the developer instead of just Gamestop's pockets.[/QUOTE]

THIS.

It's also possible that in the future, some of the games will become collectible, especially Perfect Dark Zero.

I've noticed that the best time to buy a physical copy of a game is when it gets clearanced or at the end of a console's life cycle. It's that period of time where you're going to get the absolute rock bottom price. Then, years down the road, the game becomes collectible or out of print, and retro gamers will pay the "matured" rate for these games. I always will grab more than one copy of a game, and leave the extras in their original shrink wrap. I made a fortune off of original shrink wrapped copies of Goldeneye 64 and the Zelda special gold cartridges in their original shrink wrapped boxes. If Nintendo had swayed me into buying digital copies of these games, I'd of lost out on close to two grand in sales to retro N64 gamers. Don't get me wrong, a digital copy of a game, if cheap enough, is nice for having a backup for yourself, but don't count on it having much value in the future.

[quote name='confoosious']someone doesn't get sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

I understand sarcasm. Just further hammering the nail into the coffin. Not too many people are aware you lose access to all your games when you get banned.

I own Kameo, PDZ, Superstars Tennis, and can buy Table Tennis for $2.00 at my local Half-Price Books. The rest of the games are at least $4.99 used at GameStop, so I will buy some titles. I plan on picking up Prince of Persia, Virtua Tennis 2009, and two games I originally bought for $10 each, Bionic Commando and Dark Void. I enjoyed the two games, but traded them in for more credit than I paid for them one time. I never finished them and would love to work my way through the games.

[quote name='Vap']I understand Vesperia is not a game for everyone,however,bashing the entire franchise based off of one game is ridiculous! Especially considering Symphonia is easily one of the best RPGS of all time. Plus I'm sure the worse Tales game is easily better then Nier..[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but as far as I've seen, Vesperia is generally regarded as one of the best games in the series, with some even putting it above Symphonia. If one of the best games in a series is mind-numbingly insipid at the best of times (barring like three or four scenes that were genuinely interesting, then overshadowed and drowned by the writers' own incompetence) and downright rage-inducing at the worst (boy, do I just love missable items and sidequests), then I think it's fair to say that the rest of the franchise doesn't hold some mystical secret that my plebeian tastes can't comprehend.

Also, Nier is really great. The story is excellent, the soundtrack is beautiful (if a bit samey at times), and the combat requires you to pay attention every now and then. If you haven't played it, you really should, especially since it's so dirt cheap nowadays.

[quote name='airco']Also, Nier is really great. The story is excellent, the soundtrack is beautiful (if a bit samey at times), and the combat requires you to pay attention every now and then. If you haven't played it, you really should, especially since it's so dirt cheap nowadays.[/QUOTE]
I really liked Nier, too, but I'm trying to understand how you can think its combat was even mildly interesting, while in the same breath saying ToV's was a mindless mashfest. Different strokes, I guess.

[quote name='Guillermo_IGN']what about viva pinata is that good?[/QUOTE]

If you like games like mario party i guess you might like it.VP:pA is full of mini games and random races with the shows characters.I played it with my brother a couple years ago and we had fun playing it for a while.

[quote name='simmias']I really liked Nier, too, but I'm trying to understand how you can think its combat was even mildly interesting, while in the same breath saying ToV's was a mindless mashfest. Different strokes, I guess.[/QUOTE]
I suppose you have a point. I think it really comes down to how clunky ToV's combat was. Attacks took forever to start up, which let enemies hit you out of your attacks with ease. Blocks had huge startup windows which stopped you from being able to block on reaction, and took forever to get out of, letting enemies just hit you again if you tried to attack after blocking their attacks. And the jumping physics felt like they were lifted from Virtua Fighter 2 (i.e. not only completely useless, but actively giving you a disadvantage. Which was kind of bad when you accidentally jump instead of sidestep). To its credit, combat in ToV was very deep, what with the Artes, the Fatal Strikes, the combos, the party commands, and all that, but it's just built on top of such a clunky and unmanageable base that the only way the developers could compensate was to make all enemies act pretty much as combo sandbags. It's why doing anything but mashing attacks in that game is such a chore - the secret mission during that giant wolf boss early on where you have to knock him into the plants, for example, was a complete hassle due to the clunky controls. It feels like the game tried to mimic a fighting game, which was a good idea, but then failed to copy the most basic aspects of a good one.

Nier, on the other hand, has no such problems. Nier moves like anyone in a standard 3D action game would - he runs fast, he attacks when you tell him, he blocks when you tell him, he can dodge roll, etc. The combat is certainly more simplistic, but if you're not interested in making Youtube videos on some 999-hit combo you found, it's perfectly serviceable for what it is. And the best part is that the game realizes that - that's why enemies are generally quick to defeat, because if they were spongier, it'd just be a chore to fight them. And even then, in Nier, you can still run past enemies when you feel like it without being dragged into a separate battle screen. Nier basically had fewer things getting in your way, and I liked that about it.

I wish they had Rock Band 3 for sale - it's hard to find that game now and somehow Xbox download is the cheapest regular price anyway.

[quote name='nadohawk']I understand sarcasm. Just further hammering the nail into the coffin. Not too many people are aware you lose access to all your games when you get banned.[/QUOTE]

how does getting banned have anything to do with this topic? Way to fail at a rebound.

I used to prefer physical discs, but considering how much room my backlog takes up now, I like seeing digital deals more and more.

One advantage that Games on Demand titles have over their physical counterparts (if you own 2 consoles) is you can play it on 2 consoles at the same time. It takes a bit of effort, but worth it if you have friends over often and like to play system link titles on 2 separate screens w/o having to buy a 2nd copy of the game. I play my GOD version of Halo Reach this way.

[quote name='foxhound421']here's a great sale full of games that no-one wants to buy! Bomberman: Act Zero? REALLY?[/QUOTE]

here's another swarmy comment that contributes absolutely zero to the conversation!

foxhound = troll

200px-Trollface.svg.png

[quote name='dirtyvu']here's another swarmy comment that contributes absolutely zero to the conversation!

foxhound = troll[/QUOTE]
Is it really trolling when he's just pointing out the obvious?

[quote name='airco']Is it really trolling when he's just pointing out the obvious?[/QUOTE]
Is it really pointing out the obvious when there are clear, identifiable instances in this thread alone of people who want to buy these games on demand? I mean, I'm not a doctor, but I believe that for something to be obvious it has to be true as well, or at least have an appearance of truth, neither of which is the case here.

I'll be jumping on Conan and Prince of Persia. Always heard good things about these games and $8 for the pair sounds good to me.

Interested in these; not sure if I will get them all but might pick up a couple: Bionic Commando,Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II, Dark Void, Kameo, Prince of Persia, Rockstar Table Tennis, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']All of these games have my attention. Then again I might just get them at Gamestop if they are less than $5.

I think have disc versions of Bionic Commando, Blazing Angels (Original Xbox version, maybe?), Prince of Persia, Rockstar Table Tennis, Sega Superstars Tennis, and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Might just dump the disc only ones and get the digital versions.

Heard Bomberman was the worst Xbox 360 game, just curious at how bad it is. How's Kameo? I know Perfect Dark Zero wasn't as good as the N64 version.

I have 1200 Microsoft Points left to use or do I have to use a credit card? Kind of throwing me off with the actual prices in dollars instead of points' price.[/QUOTE]

You probably wont find them under $5 or $5 dollars but most definitely under $10-$15.

I'll be picking up Conan. Just finished the demo and it was fun enough. Graphics are dated and controls a bit sluggish, but for $2, my cost as I picked up some points for half off a while back, it's worth it.

[quote name='Shinpachi']Is it really pointing out the obvious when there are clear, identifiable instances in this thread alone of people who want to buy these games on demand? I mean, I'm not a doctor, but I believe that for something to be obvious it has to be true as well, or at least have an appearance of truth, neither of which is the case here.[/QUOTE]

except its true these games should be listed as 4.99 or lower permanently. this is hardly a sale. oh wow games that are years old or sold poorly are now discounted? lol really microsoft? this should be stand pricing. none of these were even close to worth 20 dollars.

bread's done
Back