Xbox One Limited Edition Halo 5: Guardians Console- Available to Preorder. $499

I'm disappointed in this console.  Really would've like them to take greater advantage of artwork and the color scheme (of both Locke & Chief).   Now that I own it, there will be a better deal down the line.  I wish it came with a Master Chief controller and a physical game.  

I wonder if I should sell of those extras.  Is that armor and digital content worth redeeming?

Halo 5 Guardians Console Unboxing with commentary:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P79jUbWwT60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCD9uGMa8HU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6l8yDqcGjo 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in chat for almost an hour now trying to get this code exchanged, and they want WAY MORE information and proof of ownership in chat than what their little exchange page says. I kind of just wish I hadn't bothered now.

Hey I have a console code. Would anyone be willing to trade me their collectors edition code so I can get the physical disk? This is assuming you are content with the digital download.
Won't work. The console code is no different from the $250 LCE code. What they are asking for in chat is pictures of your receipt showing you bought the $250 LCE.

I got denied, btw. No amount of explaining that the two codes offer the same content would get them to do it.

Won't work. The console code is no different from the $250 LCE code. What they are asking for in chat is pictures of your receipt showing you bought the $250 LCE.

I got denied, btw. No amount of explaining that the two codes offer the same content would get them to do it.
That has me half-tempted to start a chat session with them, just to tell them they suck. Basically, I'd go in, ask if the console code allows you to exchange for a disc, and when they turn me down, tell them I won't go spend the $500 and waste my time, then. I mean, that's just preposterous. $500, and they're uninterested in helping you? Shoot, if you've got a store that has an extra LC# in-stock, you should buy it, take a picture of the receipt, return it, then send them that receipt picture to get your console game code replaced. I mean, to hell with that crap where spending twice the money gets you the shaft.

Oh, and about those unboxing videos back a couple of posts:

1. The sounds on the console suck. Like, I can't identify what those sounds are. I thought the on sound was supposed to be a plasma grenade, but that didn't sound like it. Granted, the Halo 4 console sounds weren't all that recognizable, but these are just weak-sounding.

2. The guy comes off as someone who did an unboxing just to rag on it. I mean, he's seriously complaining about the packing materials, and how they won't protect anything...yet everything in the packing was fine. Then he complains about the lack of color, as if it wasn't clearly shown off online, and in other outlets, before he bought it. Again. looks like he was aiming to buy it and get disappointed.

3. Dude needs to get a better lamp or something. You can't get a good look at the console in that video, it's just too freaking dim.

Still, what I saw (and heard) has me leaning away from getting the console now. It's just such a disappointment they modeled it after Spartan Locke, who I care nothing about (at least, yet). The game's supposed to be about picking sides, and they couldn't even bother to have the Chief controller to meet that idea, instead making everything about Locke...it's just a bit lame. I guess I'll be holding onto my 500-GB Bone for now, and I'll hope we get another "buy console, get something free" like NBA 2K16 had. Suppose I'll be hitting up Best Buy for a pre-order on the regular LE now (which is also underwhelming as it is).

Well, to update, there might be hope yet. I was still talking in chat when I last posted, and after some more explaining, they are looking into maybe doing it. It seems like they are unaware of what content is being offered by the codes and don't realize it is the same. We'll see.

Edit: False hope, still a no go here.

Well, to update, there might be hope yet. I was still talking in chat when I last posted, and after some more explaining, they are looking into maybe doing it. It seems like they are unaware of what content is being offered by the codes and don't realize it is the same. We'll see.

Rare time I can say to use Twitter. Tell Phil Spencer his team's being ridiculous with this, he seems to actually take feedback seriously, for the most part. Seriously, I might come home from work tomorrow, fire up the MS chat, and just tell them that I hate their stupid policy with this. The entirety of the Halo 5 marketing stuff has been colossally disappointing, from the paint job on the console to the digital content to the steelbook with no disc slot to the pricing of this crap.

/rant

That'd be idiotic to offer the disc replacement program only to the LCE buyers.  The idea was to appease and compensate all of the collectors purchasing the game that were stuck with the digital version.  The console bundles SHOULD be included in the program as well.

To be fair, Microsoft's program only mentions the LCE so from a CS standpoint, they're not in the wrong here.  They're just following the orders from upper management.  Microsoft to their credit has been responsive to customer concerns and shown a willingness to listen to the fans.  So there's hope they'll address it shortly.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I already asked the Halo page about it, Major Nelson, and Phil too, just now, since you mentioned it. It just makes no sense not to offer this to the people who shelled out an additional $250 to get the console instead of the statue.

That'd be idiotic to offer the disc replacement program only to the LCE buyers. The idea was to appease and compensate all of the collectors purchasing the game that were stuck with the digital version. The console bundles SHOULD be included in the program as well.

To be fair, Microsoft's program only mentions the LCE so from a CS standpoint, they're not in the wrong here. They're just following the orders from upper management. Microsoft to their credit has been responsive to customer concerns and shown a willingness to listen to the fans. So there's hope they'll address it shortly.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I already asked the Halo page about it, Major Nelson, and Phil too, just now, since you mentioned it. It just makes no sense not to offer this to the people who shelled out an additional $250 to get the console instead of the statue.
i dont know what your guys are bitchin about, it shows up in their system as digital deluxe package or something, although it took awhile for me (because of disconnects) they had no problems helping me, besides registering my console first and having to relpy to an email with a picture of the receipt, they said i should get it next week along with the codes being emailed to me

That has me half-tempted to start a chat session with them, just to tell them they suck. Basically, I'd go in, ask if the console code allows you to exchange for a disc, and when they turn me down, tell them I won't go spend the $500 and waste my time, then. I mean, that's just preposterous. $500, and they're uninterested in helping you? Shoot, if you've got a store that has an extra LC# in-stock, you should buy it, take a picture of the receipt, return it, then send them that receipt picture to get your console game code replaced. I mean, to hell with that crap where spending twice the money gets you the shaft.

Oh, and about those unboxing videos back a couple of posts:

1. The sounds on the console suck. Like, I can't identify what those sounds are. I thought the on sound was supposed to be a plasma grenade, but that didn't sound like it. Granted, the Halo 4 console sounds weren't all that recognizable, but these are just weak-sounding.

2. The guy comes off as someone who did an unboxing just to rag on it. I mean, he's seriously complaining about the packing materials, and how they won't protect anything...yet everything in the packing was fine. Then he complains about the lack of color, as if it wasn't clearly shown off online, and in other outlets, before he bought it. Again. looks like he was aiming to buy it and get disappointed.

3. Dude needs to get a better lamp or something. You can't get a good look at the console in that video, it's just too freaking dim.

Still, what I saw (and heard) has me leaning away from getting the console now. It's just such a disappointment they modeled it after Spartan Locke, who I care nothing about (at least, yet). The game's supposed to be about picking sides, and they couldn't even bother to have the Chief controller to meet that idea, instead making everything about Locke...it's just a bit lame. I guess I'll be holding onto my 500-GB Bone for now, and I'll hope we get another "buy console, get something free" like NBA 2K16 had. Suppose I'll be hitting up Best Buy for a pre-order on the regular LE now (which is also underwhelming as it is).
yeah I watched a video of the sounds and I couldnt pick them apart to well either.

so does every gamestop have amazon gift cards?

looking online it says the nearest store with them is 30 miles away? the online tracker for gift cards pretty accurate usually?

so does every gamestop have amazon gift cards?

looking online it says the nearest store with them is 30 miles away? the online tracker for gift cards pretty accurate usually?
They all have kindle cards... Same difference. Is that what your looking at, or the actual amazon cards?

Almost all the stores in my area show stock so IDK.. Maybe call first if your local store isnt that close to you.

Its cause your not suppose to be able to exchange the code from the console version. Even the exchange page on ms site doesn't list the console sku just the $250 sku.

Even IGN and other major sites but i'll just link IGN just show the $250 version.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/05/microsoft-details-halo-5-guardians-disc-exchange-program

Not sure who started the rumor that you could exchange codes with the console version because every where I read has shown what IGN has shown.

Plus ms site is straight forward. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/halo-5-guardians-disc-swap

Says this at the top pretty straight forward. no where does it say Console.

"Halo 5: Guardians Limited Collector’s Edition Disc Exchange Program"

also says this in bullets

• You have received your Limited Collector’s Edition of Halo 5: Guardians.
  • You have not redeemed the code for the digital version of Halo 5: Guardians.

No where do I see:

"Xbox One 1TB Console - Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition Bundle"

someone obviously spreaded false hope cause even if you put it in google every major site, gamespot/polygon/etc says just $250 version.

Unless people just assumed this was going to work on the Console too because they read about it on the Collector's edition. But has past Consoles with a digital version in the bundle been able to be exchanged before? No.

Still though I seen people saying they talked to multiple reps from MS and still was able to do it even though your not allowed to. So its still worth a try.

I think the console looks nice. It doesn't need to be based off a green color or Master Chief to be considered a Halo console since it has all the details of the Halo universe on it. 

Its cause your not suppose to be able to exchange the code from the console version. Even the exchange page on ms site doesn't list the console sku just the $250 sku.

Even IGN and other major sites but i'll just link IGN just show the $250 version.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/05/microsoft-details-halo-5-guardians-disc-exchange-program

Not sure who started the rumor that you could exchange codes with the console version because every where I read has shown what IGN has shown.

Plus ms site is straight forward. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/halo-5-guardians-disc-swap

No where do I see:

someone obviously spreaded false hope cause even if you put it in google every major site, gamespot/polygon/etc says just $250 version.

Unless people just assumed this was going to work on the Console too because they read about it on the Collector's edition. But has past Consoles with a digital version in the bundle been able to be exchanged before? No.

Still though I seen people saying they talked to multiple reps from MS and still was able to do it even though your not allowed to. So its still worth a try.
No one is saying MS said otherwise. We are saying that it is moronic that people spending twice as much as those getting to swap their codes for discs get no such treatment.

Yeah it's just digital code and why does it matter where it came from if people have proof that they obtained legitimately. Microsoft is really dropping the ball with this digital code.

Talk of the digital code replacement needing a receipt has me scared lol I bought the LCE during the Best Buy glitch. They may deny me cause of the price.

Talk of the digital code replacement needing a receipt has me scared lol I bought the LCE during the Best Buy glitch. They may deny me cause of the price.
Online orders that were shipped use packing slips as confirmed receipt. Packing slips don't disclose prices. So that might work but it's not 100%.

No where do I see:

You're misinterpreting the point some of us are making though. We're aware that the disc replacement program was intended for LCE buyers but the point is now that they've gone forward with the exchange offer, they might as well offer it for console buyers as well. The code is exactly the same between the two versions. Since the program is managed and fulfilled the same way, it doesn't make sense to limit the program to strictly LCE buyers. Nobody's disputing the program is worded specifically for LCE buyers (my post even reiterated that). I agree with you that there's no precedent that digital bundles were ever swapped for discs either. But the disconnect is that the left hand isn't talking to the right hand again. If the LCE program is in place, it only makes sense to extend it to the console users as well. If they don't, that would be pretty stupid of MS.

well bought it. all gamestops had amazon cards apparently

first gamestop.....xbox decided fuck you and wouldnt load the disc, and for some unknown reason a dirty fork was inside of a brand new clean plastic bag i was holding it in and naturally this fork made the bottom greasy and dirty. in essence I got screwed at gamestop 1.

took it home, cleaned it, tested it again, and it worked. truth be told the CD drive does have issues, but it does work, just sometimes needs to be ejected or powered off but it does work.

went to gamestop 2 and system worked flawlessly.

halo console en route all paid via amazon gift cards......so 149 for two controllers 95 for super legendary edition(the 250 version) and console all costing cashing of about 260. I have no regrets....i splurged on this halo like a crack addict but Ive never had a halo console and always wanted one.

Im not sure if there is a difference between digital codes....i think they are the same I'[ll have to check how all these codes work....whether its one or multiple or what.......if they are Im certainly willing to let one go for 70 dollars if anyone wants it.

Geez, lots of sore asses in here...

13613441692075017293.GIF

I debated about disk vs. no disk for this game, and I think I'll be fine not having to insert the disk to play the game.

I think all the people in here bitching (OMG, I'm a dick now for using that word) are just worried about trading in the game in the near future...

Nah, if I end up with the console, I would probably keep the code. I just am a Windows Phone user who Hayes the way Microsoft incessantly does things in the most ignorant ways possible. I certainly wouldn't trade the game in, even if I got the disc, as it and Fallout will basically take all of my time into next spring.

13613441692075017293.GIF

I debated about disk vs. no disk for this game, and I think I'll be fine not having to insert the disk to play the game.

I think all the people in here bitching (OMG, I'm a dick now for using that word) are just worried about trading in the game in the near future...
I do want the disc for collection reasons....but Im okay with the digital until the disc hits a 10 dollar or less sale which with Halo it will in the next year or two easily.

13613441692075017293.GIF

Yes, because we never have to worry about a triple A title falling short of the hype...

While some prefer digital, I like to ensure I can recoup some of my investment by having a physical copy. Crazy, right?

If you buy the console at bestbuy, they're offering the spartan locke controller for half price ($35). This applies to other consoles as well.

I guess they have an overstock of the Locke controllers or lack of demand for it because it's included in the LE console.

You're misinterpreting the point some of us are making though. We're aware that the disc replacement program was intended for LCE buyers but the point is now that they've gone forward with the exchange offer, they might as well offer it for console buyers as well. The code is exactly the same between the two versions. Since the program is managed and fulfilled the same way, it doesn't make sense to limit the program to strictly LCE buyers. Nobody's disputing the program is worded specifically for LCE buyers (my post even reiterated that). I agree with you that there's no precedent that digital bundles were ever swapped for discs either. But the disconnect is that the left hand isn't talking to the right hand again. If the LCE program is in place, it only makes sense to extend it to the console users as well. If they don't, that would be pretty stupid of MS.
Oh we get it. It doesn't change the fact that you guys are just whining/complaining.

I do want the disc for collection reasons....but Im okay with the digital until the disc hits a 10 dollar or less sale which with Halo it will in the next year or two easily.
Hey. If you dont mind me asking, what did gamestop need on the xbox one trade in? Console, controller, powerbrick, and hdmi cable only?

If you buy the console at bestbuy, they're offering the spartan locke controller for half price ($35). This applies to other consoles as well.

I guess they have an overstock of the Locke controllers or lack of demand for it because it's included in the LE console.
Yeah, it's completely stupid. Half-off the controller you're about to get in your console (assuming you get the Halo 5bundle), simply to troll the fact we know you want the other controller. Oh, and if you buy the Locke and Chief controllers, you get a free charging stand. If you get the Locke controller in the console and buy the Chief one, you get nothing. So much trolling.

But yeah, the Locke controller's not going to grab longtime fans as much as the Chief one. I'm part of that group, too. I want both to have both, but if I get both, I'll actually play the game with the Chief one, most likely. Still wish the console was Chief-themed, or that they'd played the "choose a side" motif by giving you the Locke console and Chief controller. That, or since the thing's $60 more than it rationally should be, they could have given us both controllers...

I'm going to wait until next week's ad is up before I make a final decision on getting the console, though. Hoping there's a free game or better controller deal coming.

Oh we get it. It doesn't change the fact that you guys are just whining/complaining.
Ehh, and you're complaining about complaining. People are complainers. We all are.

The chat began at 4PM and is still ongoing as of 5:15 PM. We JUST came to this.

I had to take a picture of my receipt as well as the metal guardian statue that came with (lol what?)

I simply had to explain that I bought the console, which costs double the collectors edition, with the understanding I would be able to exchange the download code for a disk. After some deliberation...

I have processed the order now. Please wait for our email confirmation about the exchange. Once the order has been placed, you should receive your disc, along with a code for you to redeem the additional LCE content (Warzone REQ Bundle and Halo: The Fall of Reach)

Also the console looks really cool. The limited edition steelbook and model look cool. The console sound systems are really stupid. My wife likes the locke controller so that works out.

Good luck getting your swap!

You should post pictures of the console. The sounds are dumb, but I don't ever press the buttons on my console really, so I can't say that's a meaningful factor in my decision.

So the Halo 5 digital game code and LE codes are all one code? I thought they were separate.
Contents of the single code:

Halo 5 game

Req bundle

Halo Nightfall

There is a separate code for the 14-day Gold trial and a separate code for the Fotus armor.

Hey. If you dont mind me asking, what did gamestop need on the xbox one trade in? Console, controller, powerbrick, and hdmi cable only?
Just brought in a trade an hour ago, thats exactly right: console, controller, brick and hdmi. I also brought one of the little headsets that they come with originally, and they gave me another $5
Edit-BTW, I had been keeping an eye on trade in value for a regular X-1, and it had been $175, until this week when it went to $200. So I'd trade sooner than later in case it drops again.

Yes, the sounds suck....as usual. I've never bought a themed console that had decent sounds. However, it looks awesome, and the extras are nice. (Except for that guardian, that is completely useless)
I think the steelbook makes sense now that I have it in hand. It doesn't seem like it was meant for a disc at all.

As I've said before, I am completely fine with the digital code, as I have two consoles in the house. That now becomes two separate copies of
the game, and who wouldn't be happy with that. Yeah, I can't trade it in, but I never trade any of my Halo games.

Just brought in a trade an hour ago, thats exactly right: console, controller, brick and hdmi. I also brought one of the little headsets that they come with originally, and they gave me another $5
Edit-BTW, I had been keeping an eye on trade in value for a regular X-1, and it had been $175, until this week when it went to $200. So I'd trade sooner than later in case it drops again.

Yes, the sounds suck....as usual. I've never bought a themed console that had decent sounds. However, it looks awesome, and the extras are nice. (Except for that guardian, that is completely useless)
I think the steelbook makes sense now that I have it in hand. It doesn't seem like it was meant for a disc at all.

As I've said before, I am completely fine with the digital code, as I have two consoles in the house. That now becomes two separate copies of
the game, and who wouldn't be happy with that. Yeah, I can't trade it in, but I never trade any of my Halo games.
By the way, how does this thing go over with GameStop? I thought they weren't selling games with digital codes anymore, so do you get a disc from them? And did the new console come with a new headset?

Id trade halo games in. You can get them way cheap pretty fast.
Ehh, MAYBE after beating the campaign with a friend, and right before Fallout 4. However, Halo is one of the games I'll play to death and back during its life cycle, so it's the atypical instance I'd actually benefit from the digital copy (which I got for TMCC, after getting some 20% off Xbox currency from Thornton's last year and trading in the physical copy for $44).

honestly as i stated before the best buy where I got the green controller had one left that someone hid after they said my instore pick up was unavailable for that item and when I was at gamestop I didnt see any green ones....but I've seen tons of the silver ones.....I could see the green ones becoming scarce eventually if not for at least this first week or two.

if its not known best buy website gives you the 35 dollar chief theme controller charger free if you buy both at once.

yeah and FYI I had a manager for mine...the proper procedure is after he puts a disc in to test it...he'll try and reformat the harddrive.

and dont forget batteries in the controller.

honestly as i stated before the best buy where I got the green controller had one left that someone hid after they said my instore pick up was unavailable for that item and when I was at gamestop I didnt see any green ones....but I've seen tons of the silver ones.....I could see the green ones becoming scarce eventually if not for at least this first week or two.

if its not known best buy website gives you the 35 dollar chief theme controller charger free if you buy both at once.
Strange, Best Buy shows every store near me with the Chief controller in-stock.

Oh, and I can't recall if it was this thread or another, but we were discussion if all GS stores had Amazon GC. The search function on GS seems to be scrambling results. The stores near me were about 25+ down on the list (sever "load 8 more stores" clicks). That might be why it confused someone (and myself) earlier. The first store it loads for my ZIP is 90+ miles away.

Strange, Best Buy shows every store near me with the Chief controller in-stock.

Oh, and I can't recall if it was this thread or another, but we were discussion if all GS stores had Amazon GC. The search function on GS seems to be scrambling results. The stores near me were about 25+ down on the list (sever "load 8 more stores" clicks). That might be why it confused someone (and myself) earlier. The first store it loads for my ZIP is 90+ miles away.
it was me and yeah both gamestops i went to had tons.....so no idea what was going on there.

and yeah about that controller....when i ordered, store pick up said it was there to buy, but well it wasnt when I got there but tons of silver ones were.

Does anyone know if the Halo 5 Console have startup sound effects? I heard there was sound effects, but when I start mine up there's no sound.

Does anyone know if the Halo 5 Console have startup sound effects? I heard there was sound effects, but when I start mine up there's no sound.
You have to start it by pressing the button on the console or by saying, "Xbox on" if you have Kinect. The startup sound is pretty neat, it sounds like a charge weapon being fired.

Thanks! Yea, I saw the bump in trade value, and they are offering the $100 for ps3 promotion (I have a spare one). I had totally convinced myself I didn’t need the forza bundle, but then this happens. UGH! Just waiting on my .99 cent HDMI cable to come in since I don’t have one with the ps3.

yeah and FYI I had a manager for mine...the proper procedure is after he puts a disc in to test it...he'll try and reformat the harddrive.

and dont forget batteries in the controller.

I’m too paranoid to not wipe my xbox clean before I go in anyway ahahah. Thanks for the heads up on the batteries. I wasn’t even thinking of that since I have rechargeables.

Anyone else notice a change to the disc drive on this console? With my Day One console, if you ejected the disc, you had a few seconds to yank it out before the drive would suck the disc back in, and you'd end up playing tug of war with it. On this console, if you eject the disc, it just sits there waiting for you. It will only suck the disc back in if you turn the Xbox One off. Is that a recent change? Do other consoles do that too? I'm glad they changed it, at any rate.

bread's done
Back