Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='KingBroly']
Still, XBone not having any composite/component out is a big blunder IMO. Also, not having any front USB ports.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the comoposite/component thing is a big deal as I'm sure they'll sell an adapter.

I thought it was more ass backwards this gen when you HD consoles (and they made a big deal out of HD) shipping with only composite cables included.

Front USB doesn't seem that important either since you're not plugging in controllers to charge etc. Most people won't hook anything up, and those who do would just be external drives for more storage and that's better plugged in the back so the cable can be hidden etc.

I guess some may want to show photos etc. off a thumb stick or something. But probably just easier to network with your computer and share that way. And most newer TVs have their own USB and SD card ports these days as well.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']My broader point about keeping the Kinect taped-up was that, on or off, gaming or not, it is an attack vector for hackers and a privacy concern in general. Remember this is a system which remains on and connected to your network so save unplugging the thing you can't be 100% sure that it isn't listening or watching nor can we know what happens should someone choose to tape it up while they play as it will most certainly be watching and listening then.

I'm less worried about Microsoft watching me watching TV butt-naked than I am about the number of security updates which pop-up for Windows on Tuesdays. Microsoft could very well have every intention of not spying on people but an always watching and always listening device connected to the internet is a prime target for hacking. So yeah, unplug the fucker.;)[/QUOTE]

But you could make that argument for anything. Your PC is always connected. Your phone is always connected. Any of these things could be hacked. Do you shut down and unplug your PC every time you're done using it? Do you power down your phone when you're not on it? Do you only use cash because you're worried about having your identity stolen? There's always a chance of being backed. You either accept the risk because the convenience it provides is worth it. Or you get off the grid entirely.

I'm not even anticipating buying a next gen system for at least a year or two for my own personal reasons (though a great deal to subsidize the cost of the console would make me take a harder look), but I think the way people are getting so personally offended by these decisions is a bit much. You don't HAVE to buy a next gen system. You could play games on a PC. You could just keep playing the thousands of games available for 360/PS3/Wii., You could even find a new hobby. I've seen numerous people ask "Well, what are you going to do then???" There are a lot of options. Maybe this is just the thought process of "the "30 year old gamer", but I'll join the next gen when it's worth joining

I think a lot of the pandemonium comes from the wishy-washy approach with the details. I think at the end of the day people just want the information. They might not like it but it will help them move on.

I think the thing is, is that the console makers want to go digital only but the means to do so aren't quite here yet so were stuck with this mishmash.

Well my Android phone and my PC are 'open' platforms whereas consoles are 'closed' platforms. I can tweak and customize their operating systems with all manner of security and privacy measures of my choosing whereas with the Kinect I have to rely on the options which Microsoft gives or just unplug it.

So yes, anything which is on and connected is absolutely an attack vector for hackers but at least with the more 'open' devices I can safe-guard against such attacks outside of simply unplugging them entirely.

Microsoft is asking people to just trust them in regards to the Kinect and they haven't exactly been the most trustworthy company whether you're talking anti-trust or security flaws or whatever else. But I would say that using your router you could just blacklist any outbound Kinect data/packets but how many people are either willing or able to do that when you can just yank the cable?

I'm just wondering how required the Kinect will be. If you tape the sensors at all times for privacy does it disallow Xbox One usage period? We don't know yet. My PC doesn't require a mic or a camera or a network connection to function. I can get a phone without a camera or break/tape the existing one and it'll still function. What happens when you leave the Kinect connected to the system but buried in the backyard? Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']But you could make that argument for anything. Your PC is always connected. Your phone is always connected. Any of these things could be hacked. Do you shut down and unplug your PC every time you're done using it? Do you power down your phone when you're not on it? Do you only use cash because you're worried about having your identity stolen? There's always a chance of being backed. You either accept the risk because the convenience it provides is worth it. Or you get off the grid entirely.

I'm not even anticipating buying a next gen system for at least a year or two for my own personal reasons (though a great deal to subsidize the cost of the console would make me take a harder look), but I think the way people are getting so personally offended by these decisions is a bit much. You don't HAVE to buy a next gen system. You could play games on a PC. You could just keep playing the thousands of games available for 360/PS3/Wii., You could even find a new hobby. I've seen numerous people ask "Well, what are you going to do then???" There are a lot of options. Maybe this is just the thought process of "the "30 year old gamer", but I'll join the next gen when it's worth joining[/QUOTE]

The funny thing for me is, the fact that I'm 30 and Xbox One is a full media experience, I'm more likely to get it right away than if it were just a video game console.

With the X1 looking to be more like a PC as far as used games, does anybody think that the pricing structure will change to include quicker price drops like the PC?

Reminds me of the Bad Robot logo.

original.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Brd1F1dQc

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well you don't seem to be biased in the least. It is obvious you are not a console fan but to make the statement about small boost in power compared to last gen is just ignorant. Also what nonsense about kinect? Every future concept I have seen shows the ability to talk to you device and have it respond to you...is that not what this is? It is a step towards having a Jarvis in your home. You may not want it which is fine but personally I find the idea cool.[/QUOTE]
Xbox 360 has 20-15 times the computational power of the original Xbox.
Xbox 1 has 3-4 times the computational power of the 360.
The only thing I mentioned about the kinnect is that they have said it is required to connected to use the XB1.
Good job being ignorant.

[quote name='DestroVega']Glad nobody wants one. It'll be easy for me to get at launch.[/QUOTE]

That might be the case here... but it'll sell. Gamers might not like some of the things MS is doing but most people probably won't have any clue or care about those issues.

[quote name='Coper3000']Is it confirmed that 'always listening' is also built in? I have no idea what is rumor and what is real at this point.

(http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30513...-concerns-over-always-on-listening/index.html)[/QUOTE]

Yes because you can say "Xbox On" now. That's why it didnt work on the 360 - it didnt listen when turned off.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So, anyone remember that patent Microsoft filed last November where the Kinect could monitor the room to make sure you aren't violating any licenses by the number of people viewing a movie, seems that may have been in preparation for mandatory Kinect?

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa[/QUOTE]
Turn it to face a wall.

Heck it was an inconvenience for the Xbox 360 to have a RROD history but we dealt with it because we wanted to play the games that were on Microsoft's system and play with the many friends that were on its thriving online community (ohh the Halo nights, Burnout Paradise nights, Gears nights, Magic the Gathering nights, UNO nights, Worms nights, PGR 4 nights, GTAIV nights, Dirt 3 nights, Mass Effect 3 nights, etc). I feel like nothing will change with the Xbox One, just the deterrent.

I'm looking forward to E3, sooo looking forward to E3 and seeing these exclusives on every system going toe to toe.

Microsoft has to know they're doing a shit job in selling the XBox One and giving it little to no momentum at E3, right?

Right?

[quote name='jkam']I think a lot of the pandemonium comes from the wishy-washy approach with the details. I think at the end of the day people just want the information. They might not like it but it will help them move on.[/QUOTE]

This is my main problem. I have no doubt that Sony has something similar with the used game issue that came up. But I don't have a problem there because they left it at "You can still play used games." Simple and concise. Like I mentioned in another thread, just because you can play used games, doesn't mean there isn't something else they haven't mentioned. Mainly, the possible fee.

But the way Microsoft is going about it just looks fucking fishy. Nobody knows what they can or can't say, their site is giving answers then deleting them, people are trying to clear things up while not explaining why they are wrong, etc.

They should have just given one answer, and left it at that. Instead, they created this gaming media circus that is making them look worse and worse.

And Sony, who is probably doing the same thing, is just sitting back and laughing.

[quote name='bardockkun']Microsoft has to know they're doing a shit job in selling the XBox One and giving it little to no momentum at E3, right?

Right?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I really thought they would have understood the backlash from the Adam Orth debacle and the Sim City/Diablo 3 online problems to mean that people don't want a device or game that requires them to connect to the internet in order to operate. Here we are though with a device that has to connect to the internet once a day in order to continue to function in addition to online codes for games.

Maybe they get it and they have too much hubris to think it will affect them or they will be the ones to change things. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but I think Microsoft is pretty set in their plans.

[quote name='Shimrra']At the end of the day this E3 is going to mean alot to all the consoles because if the games they show do not live up to the hype the backlash is just going to get uglier.[/QUOTE]

Even the games they show won't be enough to sway me to the X1 simply because it's just a bait and switch tactic being used by Microsoft to get these boxes in peoples homes. Just like the 360 they started off heavily focused on gaming and as the generation went on they slowly strayed from this path. They have showed that gaming is not their focus and there is nothing to say they won't pull the exact same thing with this machine. I'll be getting the more powerful PS4 at launch, and just like with the Wii-U, I'm going to take a wait and see approach to the X1 and probably snag it when it gets a redesign/price drop if it has a backlog of exclusives worth investing in.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I would assume they did enough market research that they determined the person buying this console will have a TV with an HDMI port but it will most likely cause an issue for a few people.[/QUOTE]

You would think they did the same with the name..

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I saw a picture on reddit earlier this morning showing someone's 360 friends list filled with people watching TV related items and it finally became clear to me why yesterday's reveal event was constructed the way it was. I get what their thought process is, they've looked at years of usage data and see that the majority of Xbox usage is coming down to TV.

The only problem though is they're not looking at the bigger picture. The first is that maybe the Xbox TV usage is an effect of a struggling video game market, nothing interesting to play, might as well watch TV? This leads to the second question though, if people are only using their Xboxes to watch TV, why will they feel compelled to upgrade to a new console just to watch more TV with a slightly slicker interface?[/QUOTE]

This data might be accurate if the xbox was the only gaming system in peoples homes. However what if they like the netflix experience on the Xbox, but play games on their Wii, PS3 or handhelds. To me it seems Sony gets it as they came out saying they are about games, where Microsoft said TV/Sports/Call of Duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedvsBlue']I saw a picture on reddit earlier this morning showing someone's 360 friends list filled with people watching TV related items and it finally became clear to me why yesterday's reveal event was constructed the way it was. I get what their thought process is, they've looked at years of usage data and see that the majority of Xbox usage is coming down to TV.

The only problem though is they're not looking at the bigger picture. The first is that maybe the Xbox TV usage is an effect of a struggling video game market, nothing interesting to play, might as well watch TV? This leads to the second question though, if people are only using their Xboxes to watch TV, why will they feel compelled to upgrade to a new console just to watch more TV with a slightly slicker interface?[/QUOTE]Numerous people buy Xbox 360s to act as Media Center Extenders for a Windows 7/Windows 8 Media Center PC doing DVR duty.

Right now, the 360 is the only blessed and approved MCE device out there, which is likely what drove the Xbox One to be more media-centric than game centric.

[quote name='murph17']
3uit0g.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Even though no BC is my biggest gripe about the PS4, no BC here is the least important issue here. I'm amazed at some of the decisions MS is making here.

[quote name='DestroVega']Always on Kinect means some lucky Microsoft employee gets to enjoy watching me spank it.[/QUOTE]

Well, if I wasn't putting in my application at Microsoft before...

[quote name='DestroVega']Always on Kinect means some lucky Microsoft employee gets to enjoy watching me spank it.[/QUOTE]

I'm back in and hiding all of the tape!

First time I've chimed in. Qualifier, Xbox and the 360 have been my consoles of choice for over a decade.

The initial presser was pretty good. The tv stuff is interesting (but useless to me since I don't game on the main tv). Improved Kinect, equally impressive and equally useless since I run a projector setup. But since it's had time to sink in, MS has come up with the most complicated and anti-consumer console known to man. How do you take a gaming console and make playing a game the most complicated process ever?

I'll stop short of a rash "I'm out" decision until I hear more and see what's in store at E3, but so far it's not looking good.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It seems like they've got a solid PR plan for when they detail more aspects of the system and its services and they do not want to deviate from that plan at all, so they try to give just enough of an answer to try to satiate the public. The problem is that it seems like we get the start of a sentence before we see the caveat after "but".

"We will support used games, but _____"
"We will allow you to take your games over to your friend's house, but ______"
"We will allow you to play offline, but ______"[/QUOTE]

I find it cute that think believe sticking to the script is better than alleviating all this negative press and feedback.

I'd be happy with the X1 as a media box (if not a game box) IF I could ditch the cable box altogether. Yet they failed to put in cable card support!? So, it's not a replacement for my cable box, it's just another input to it? It's just another link in my cable connection chain that could break? Why would I want to do that? Why would I want to buy another piece of hardware to do that? Why would I want to pay another service fee (XBL) to do that? For what is essentially a slick remote control?

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']I'd be happy with the X1 as a media box (if not a game box) IF I could ditch the cable box altogether. Yet they failed to put in cable card support!? So, it's not a replacement for my cable box, it's just another input to it? It's just another link in my cable connection chain that could break? Why would I want to do that? Why would I want to buy another piece of hardware to do that? Why would I want to pay another service fee (XBL) to do that? For what is essentially a slick remote control?[/QUOTE]

Nothing they showed was even all that useful quite honestly. The only useful thing about it is that it saves you an HDMI port so you can plug your cable tv and Xbox into the same spot. Except I wouldn't want it and it doesn't run Xbox 360 games so it doesn't save one.

[quote name='Blaster man']Nothing they showed was even all that useful quite honestly. [/QUOTE]

Telling it what channel to go to is pretty impressive. I can't keep up with channels anymore. Seems like the cable companies feel the need to rearrange them every few years.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']I'd be happy with the X1 as a media box (if not a game box) IF I could ditch the cable box altogether. Yet they failed to put in cable card support!? So, it's not a replacement for my cable box, it's just another input to it? It's just another link in my cable connection chain that could break? Why would I want to do that? Why would I want to buy another piece of hardware to do that? Why would I want to pay another service fee (XBL) to do that? For what is essentially a slick remote control?[/QUOTE]If you have AT&T UVerse, it'll probably work with that service as they've teased that for a while. Same probably goes for FIOS which is already on the 360 currently.

Above and beyond that, it probably would need a device like a SiliconDust HomeRun Prime to get the cable into your network and stream it to the X1.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you have AT&T UVerse, it'll probably work with that service as they've teased that for a while. Same probably goes for FIOS which is already on the 360 currently.

Above and beyond that, it probably would need a device like a SiliconDust HomeRun Prime to get the cable into your network and stream it to the X1.[/QUOTE]

I actually just switched back to UVerse. They used to let you use a 360 as a 'satellite' box. I'd love to check it out but support for that is seemingly on hiatus. Regardless, the X1 will still require some other piece of hardware to integrate with a cable feed.

Here's where I'm coming from. If I could replace my main cable box and my 360, due to cable card support and backwards capability, the X1 would've been the first console I purchased close to release since maybe the N64. With neither, I'm just going to wait for a year or two until the dust settles before I pick a PS4 or X1 or something else or nothing at all.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']I actually just switched back to UVerse. They used to let you use a 360 as a 'satellite' box. I'd love to check it out but support for that is seemingly on hiatus. Regardless, the X1 will still require some other piece of hardware to integrate with a cable feed.

Here's where I'm coming from. If I could replace my main cable box and my 360, due to cable card support and backwards capability, the X1 would've been the first console I purchased close to release since maybe the N64. With neither, I'm just going to wait for a year or two until the dust settles before I pick a PS4 or X1 or something else or nothing at all.[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere that XboxOne in the future (ie XboxOne S) will give you the ability to do away with the cable box.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Xbox 360 has 20-15 times the computational power of the original Xbox.
Xbox 1 has 3-4 times the computational power of the 360.
The only thing I mentioned about the kinnect is that they have said it is required to connected to use the XB1.
Good job being ignorant.[/QUOTE]

how do you even know it is only 3-4 times? Lets see your math.

I still cannot grasp just how awful this seems. But even after reading others opinions, I still feel like the success of this is going to depend on the price, and then I would really hate to see what 'next-next gen' looks like.

[quote name='Blaster man']Nothing they showed was even all that useful quite honestly. The only useful thing about it is that it saves you an HDMI port so you can plug your cable tv and Xbox into the same spot. Except I wouldn't want it and it doesn't run Xbox 360 games so it doesn't save one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Coper3000']I still cannot grasp just how awful this seems. But even after reading others opinions, I still feel like the success of this is going to depend on the price, and then I would really hate to see what 'next-next gen' looks like.[/QUOTE]

Next next gen = fuck it, throw away your TV! TV PLUGGED INTO YOUR BRAIN!*

*neural connection shown to cause brain cancer in lab rats.

[quote name='antlp89']I think this analysis is pretty interesting and hits many of the points of why people are turned off to the XBO right now (starts at around 1:15):

http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-xbox-one-out-of-ten-254298.phtml[/QUOTE]

I was actually hoping for Jim Sterling's take on it. He brought up some good points about things like Child's Play. I've got a few hundred games that I could give away if I ever got tired of my PS2/360, but with Xbox One, they're likely to become landfill... filler.

[quote name='Coper3000']I still cannot grasp just how awful this seems. But even after reading others opinions, I still feel like the success of this is going to depend on the price, and then I would really hate to see what 'next-next gen' looks like.[/QUOTE]

The price won't matter to me if the game restriction and online requirement hold true. Here's my simple take on it.

My PC can:
Play games, with better or equal graphics to any console on the market.

My PC cannot:
Let me borrow a game from a friend.
Rent a game (Well, actually it can with Gamefly)
Buy used games

Once the Xbox can no longer do the things that my PC can't, there's no reason to purchase it.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I was actually hoping for Jim Sterling's take on it. He brought up some good points about things like Child's Play. I've got a few hundred games that I could give away if I ever got tired of my PS2/360, but with Xbox One, they're likely to become landfill... filler.

The price won't matter to me if the game restriction and online requirement hold true. Here's my simple take on it.

My PC can:

My PC cannot:
Buy used games

Once the Xbox can no longer do the things that my PC can't, there's no reason to purchase it.[/QUOTE]

BUT is your computer always watching, always listening, always creeping?

I understand the reasoning to not care for the XBox One, but before not giving it a chance consider the following.

- We don't know how awesome the games are. Wait till E3.
- If you don't buy used, anti-used does not effect you outside of the occasional lending of games, if that even effects you. Being on CAG it sucks not being able to take advantage of Gamefly or Amazon Warehouse deals but this should mean better price drops on new titles and/or Steam like sales. At least one would hope.
- If you have a stable internet connection, you'll be fine.
- We don't know the price of the system.
- All systems come with Kinect integrated, but it is entirely up to developers to take advantage of the Kinect. The core controller is still there, and as good as ever.
- No one is forcing you to unplug your 360. You can still play your 360 at any time. You only have to worry about BC when your system dies (lol) but it looks like MS is going to have some "major" announcement for the 360 at E3, my guess is the system is getting cheaper. So would you rather have had to pay more for a BC XBox One? Or have that option to buy a $100ish replacement if your 360 craps out?

Yes there are a lot of negative things going around (anti used, always online to an extent, too much TV focus) but MS has already said that E3 will be all about the games. So just wait a few more weeks before deciding if you want one or not.

[quote name='Broken Cage']

My PC can:

My PC cannot:
Buy used games

Once the Xbox can no longer do the things that my PC can't, there's no reason to purchase it.[/QUOTE]

You're PC takes up quite a bit of space. It's an eye sore in most modern living rooms and it's nowhere near the TV. Additionally, it's not as intuitive to use and access as a gaming console. Otherwise,I agree with the premise of your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back