Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They're already paying for exclusive content, so it's not really a surprise to me.[/QUOTE]
Oh I didn't know Sony paid Activision for exclusive content, that explains it.

[quote name='htz']I'm surprised Activision and Bungie will be showing off Destiny at Sony's E3 press conference instead.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that has to be part of the deal that Bungie signed with Activision... nothing they made would have anything exclusive to MS. This is just the final giant FU.

[quote name='FriedPi']Anyway do you seriously want a box that only plays games? How many hardcore PC gamers don't do a hundred other things on their "box"? Anyway my point is that we'll have lots of choices of ways to play games, be it PS4, Steambox, Ouya, PC, or the Xbox. I'm betting MS will stay on top, with an amazing line-up of games, and features so cool, such as voice and movement control, that you'll wonder how you ever did without them.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think the PS4 will only play games? No, it will do all the media center crap too, it just isn't the primary focus of the machine, and shouldn't be for a game console. And look at Microsoft's track record for the 360, they had a bunch of games in the first 4 years of the 360. The last 4 years have been a barren desert of exclusives that matter as they focused to heavily on Kinect, and now it's included with the console? Add in the fact that you have to pay a subscription fee to even properly use the console coupled with all this other BS, and I just don't get the love for the 360 and the desire to own the Xbox One.

[quote name='htz']I'm surprised Activision and Bungie will be showing off Destiny at Sony's E3 press conference instead.[/QUOTE]

Bungee I guess has some sort of grudge from MS & wants to give exclusive stuff to Sony instead. Remember MS had right of first refusal on Bungie's first post-Halo game.

Also Activision gets to play both sides: DLC for CoD first on XB1, DLC for Destiny first on PS4, Diablo 3 exclusive to Sony consoles?

[quote name='RiPPn']Do you really think the PS4 will only play games? No, it will do all the media center crap too, it just isn't the primary focus of the machine, and shouldn't be for a game console. And look at Microsoft's track record for the 360, they had a bunch of games in the first 4 years of the 360. The last 4 years have been a barren desert of exclusives that matter as they focused to heavily on Kinect, and now it's included with the console? Add in the fact that you have to pay a subscription fee to even properly use the console coupled with all this other BS, and I just don't get the love for the 360 and the desire to own the Xbox One.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been much more enamored with the PS3 as this gen hits it's twilight. Not to mention that we are still getting new franchises like The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls on the PS3. It just seems like Microsoft's focus is a little all over the place. I feel like the dashboard is just one big advertisement at this point.

I've been trying to purge more lately and I've been seriously considering going 1 console next gen. Owning a Vita and having a PS Plus sub I'm starting to think it's going to be a PS4. I just feel like my $50 a year is better spent on Plus than Live.

I do think there are too many unanswered questions about the PS4 at this point to be saying I will definitely be getting one (mainly price and launch line-up, which I thought Nintendo did a solid job with the launch, just the nearly 5 months of no titles afterwards was ridiculous). But it's looking a hell of a lot more likely than an Xbox One at this point.

I'll definitely just have one console and my 3DS next gen.

I was happiest this gen when I only had a 360. Once I grabbed the other two I just started feeling behind and needing to rush through games to get on to the next one.

Just have to decide between Xbox One and PS4. Xbox has the huge edge in that I love Gears and Halo and don't care much for Sony's other than Uncharted and it's what my friends and family game on (unless they switch next gen). I also liked the TV stuff they showed, but I'm very skeptical it will work anywhere near as fast and seamlessly as they showed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']the xbox exclusives don't sway me. The controller does. I really just can't get used to the ps3 one.[/QUOTE]

This is easily my biggest problem. I really do love the 360 controller. I have tried 3rd party controllers with the 360 configuration for the PS3 but they are just not that good.

Side note: Surprised that the XBOX ONE has an exterior power source considering its size.

True to that. I vastly prefer the 360 controller--love the off set analog sticks and real triggers.

I too tried a 360 layout third party controller for PS3, but it was laggy, didn't always register button presses, had dead zones in the sticks etc.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']http://www.amazon.com/Offically-Lic...qid=1369337073&sr=8-2&keywords=mlg+controller

I've heard this is the best 360 style controller on PS3[/QUOTE]

That still has the sticks side by side though which is the main thing I hate about the Dual Shock.

Edit: NM. I see that they're swappable. Can't see paying $100 for a controller though. And looks like it's a wired controller which is something I'll never use again. I hate cords.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True to that. I vastly prefer the 360 controller--love the off set analog sticks and real triggers.

I too tried a 360 layout third party controller for PS3, but it was laggy, didn't always register button presses, had dead zones in the sticks etc.

That still has the sticks side by side though which is the main thing I hate about the Dual Shock.[/QUOte]

they can all be swapped as you like actually:) Amazon Warehouse has a Like New one for $50

[quote name='cancerman1120']
Side note: Surprised that the XBOX ONE has an exterior power source considering its size.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Maybe to keep another source of heat out of the box?

I still hate having big power bricks though. More clutter behind the TV stand.

[quote name='cancerman1120']
Side note: Surprised that the XBOX ONE has an exterior power source considering its size.[/QUOTE]

I must have missed something. I thought the power source was internal? Do they have a brick again or something, or am I misunderstanding what you mean by power source?

[quote name='4thHorseman']I must have missed something. I thought the power source was internal? Do they have a brick again or something, or am I misunderstanding what you mean by power source?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Still a brick. Read about it earlier--think it was Wired that got a unit and has a story with pics of the insides etc.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-015-660x440.jpg

Yeah expect a big power brick.

$100 is a bit much for a controller for me. At this point, I'm firmly in the xbox 360 camp. I don't even bother with ps3 exclusives anymore.

I'm just saying that if the next gen comes to pass with all this microsoft shenanigans and ps4 doesn't follow suit, I might switch to the ps4 as my main console if someone could do a xbox style controller for it.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']Look at that fan! Is the X1 going to be a UAV?[/QUOTE]

Crazy. But at least things shouldn't overheat and melt like they did in the original 360 with the RROD debacle.

I'm am skeptical of the conferences claim of it being "viturally silent" with a fan that big though.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']Look at that fan! Is the X1 going to be a UAV?[/QUOTE]

Haha ahh hello support, it's hovering again.

Nah big fan = less noise because it doesn't have to spin as fast as a smaller one.

[quote name='Spybreak8']
Nah big fan = less noise because it doesn't have to spin as fast as a smaller one.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense.

I stopped using my 360 or PS3 for Netflix/Amazon streaming due to the noise after getting a new Bluray player that has the apps.

[quote name='htz']

Yeah expect a big power brick.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit that fan is like half the size of the fucking box. Guess they don't want it to RROD.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']$100 is a bit much for a controller for me. At this point, I'm firmly in the xbox 360 camp. I don't even bother with ps3 exclusives anymore.

I'm just saying that if the next gen comes to pass with all this microsoft shenanigans and ps4 doesn't follow suit, I might switch to the ps4 as my main console if someone could do a xbox style controller for it.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that sad? I'm a mainly 360 gamer for the same reason. PS3 started way behind this generation, but it seems like it's where I should be doing my gaming these days between the great exclusives, the fantastic PS+, and their online community that keeps getting better and better. But I just can't get over how much better the 360's controller is compared to the dualshock.

[quote name='htz']

Yeah expect a big power brick.[/QUOTE]

Wow, is that a 200mm case fan? This thing should be super quiet. And no red ring of death, though looks like they got rid of the light ring. Wonder how they'll depict what controllers are connected, or will that be all on screen?

Edit: oops ninjad by Blaster man

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm glad that I don't have problems with either console's controllers.[/QUOTE]

I'm same as you, I can use either and be happy, though I cannot use a 360 controller for d-pad related stuff. I did pick up a tomb raider 360 controller with transforming d-pad but haven't opened it yet so not sure how much better that is.

Looking at the next gen controllers though the XO controller looks pretty nice and I really like the idea of feedback in the triggers, but Sony also said they have modified the feedback in theirs, so who knows, both look great to me.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Another bomb via Game Informer: XB1 only HD via HDMI, no support for SDTV's or component cables.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this was already speculated because there is no special video out port on the unit.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm glad that I don't have problems with either console's controllers.[/QUOTE]

I much prefer the 360 controller and bought an offset stick controller for PS3 but the deadzone is the size of a penny which is pretty awful as you can imagine. While I don't particularly like the PS3 controller, I have a lot of problems with the Nintendo control scheme and how their buttons are all backwards from the other 2 consoles. I realize that's the way it's been forever with them and the letters being backwards alphabetical order makes sense in Japan where reading is right to left...but I have difficulty moving from the other two consoles to the Wii.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Another bomb via Game Informer: XB1 only HD via HDMI, no support for SDTV's or component cables.[/QUOTE]
Yeah this has been discussed for a while. Honestly, that's not a big deal to me and most new TV's have about 4 HDMI inputs and if that's not enough you can buy a receiver.

It's 2013. It's a next gen console where everyone is going OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ the graphics! This isn't something that anyone should be crying about.

well I know this will definitely impact some people, but honestly I think they ought to spend the money on a new TV before buying an HD console. They cost practically the same nowadays, but it's SUCH a difference. I remember when I first got my PS3 I was using a 20" or so CRT. Then I got a 32" or so HDTV (yes, I'm bad with measurements), and my word, it made me want to replay all my games again:drool:

to be honest why would you buy next gen system for sdtv? only way your tv don't have hdmi if its hd tv is if it's close to 8-9 years old.

Yeah, I don't think HDMI only is a legitimate complaint (except for people who just want to continue piling on the XB1 hate). I think it was a stretch for people to get through this console generation without having an HDTV. The only possible angle I could see is parents who don't want the system in the living room, who put a hand-me-down TV in their child's room. But that can't be any more than 3% of the customer base. But yeah, playing a $500 HD video game system on a $50 pawn shop TV just seems silly.

Many people have their gaming setups in a side room or bedroom where they just have whatever cheap TV they can get.

I also know people that have very large non-HD TVs as their main viewing TV.

I doubt the PS4 will have composite outputs either. Honestly, if you have the money to drop $500 on a new next gen console, you can drop half of that on a crappy 32" LCD. At this point the only reason 95% of gamers should have SDTVs is for old school gaming.

It will definitely affect some people.

But I'd agree with others mostly. Having a nice, big HDTV makes games, movies, TV, sports etc. SO much better.

I'd suggest to anyone thinking of buying a console that's likely to be $500 or so to go for a TV upgrade first if they don't have a decent HDTV. Also gives time to see how the Xbox One and PS4 pan out for a bit while saving up again for a console after the TV purchase, so they can make a more informed purchase.

If it's just for gaming in a bedroom, easy to find a 37-42 inch set for less than the console price.

For a main TV, lots of good 50" models hit $600 or so lately, and 55" models in the $750 or so range. I spent $899 on a Panasonic 3D LED set in January. Had a 720p 50" Sony RPTV prior, and this was a huge upgrade in picture quality--much less for anyone still viewing SDTV.

I'm excited for the One! I understand most of the criticisms lobbed at it but I honestly don't think they are nearly as big of potential issues as they are being made out to be.

This is what next gen looks like and I am in.

I also suspect that they'll have some HDMI to component/composite adapter. If not, there are already devices you can get to do that I believe.

i would suspect ps4 has hdmi only also. with the high quality of games that will be on these systems i think bringing own to say 480 p would make the games look pretty bad and would affect the joy of them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I also suspect that they'll have some HDMI to component/composite adapter. If not, there are already devices you can get to do that I believe.[/QUOTE]

you can get those things on ebay for like two bucks so yeah that is always a option

[quote name='cancerman1120']XBOX ONE Case Layout.

Already better since there seems to be no "Better with Kinect" banner on them.

BK-aashCEAEG1sm-610x831.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Since physical media is basically useless (just a way to load data onto their machine if they have crappy internet) displaying the cases is meaningless. I bet they won't even have copy protection on the disks since there is no need for it. DRM is all handled by the license. Just like PC games, and nobody displays those.

i like the look of the x1 game case. it's pretty much a blu ray case but instead of top being blue it's green. Should blend in well with blu ray movies. just hope it's not cheap made like 360 boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back