Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this means you're not buying one now that it supports used games right? RIGHT? I mean shit, you're railing against used games for weeks now.

This! Oh the hypocrisy!!

I am just saying they had my money now the race is even. Lets see who wins!

What feature do you have in mind that is so great that requires always online?
Sunset Overdrive springs to mind immediately.

A game that dynamically adjusts its game play every week. Not in the way that a game like say.. Black Op's 2 does, but in a way that a standard MMO does, yet its not a MMO.

Titanfall as well, since it has no single player campaign, only online. Given what they know now, would they have went that direction with it? Who knows, probably not.

You simply cant argue that when developing a game, you always seek to hit the greatest user base. You could say that most likely only MS first party would have actually made use of those features, since multi-plat titles would have assumed that the PS4 might be offline as well, so adjusted accordingly.
You are assuming Sony has never offered a multiplayer only game. MAG and Warhawk comes to mind for PS3. Just cause the console requires always online doesn't mean everyone on that console is going to buy that game. So I don't see how if a dev want to make an always online game, not just make a multiplayer only game.
That wasnt the point. Of course Sony has online only games, as does MS, as does PC.

However, let's jump on the logic train.

I'm a Developer, going to do a game for X1. I could operate under the following: Everyone has internet. Everyone has a Kinect. My game design decisions didnt need to weigh the pro's and con's of including online features or motion features, because my install base has those features 100%.

Now, my install base has lost internet. I'm not sure what the install base is that actually has that feature. If I go by previous gen, 52-63% depending upon what report you'd like to believe. So, do I use my limited resources developing neat little online features, knowing that 37-48% of my install base wont use them? Probably not honestly, not if I can use those resources on something that all my installed base can use.

Really simple actually :X

It's funny though, now the actual fans of the X1 are bitching, quiet loudly actually, about losing the features we wanted from the console. Both on twitter and to MS's blog pages.

Telling you what, if we lost the family share plan it might be a changer. While MS has the better exclusives (in my opinion) the entire point of buying the X1 (for me) was the ability to share games to my son and my friends.

Sad sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty shocked at the reversal - especially this quickly. I figured they might do something to negate the impact but not a 180 like this. Wow, I'm just stunned.

Question:

So if rumors of MS dropping online requirement, DRM and used games allowed, who of the people that "boycotted" or decided to make the switch to playstation would now reconsider getting one now?
Yeah, I was leaning towards cancelling my preorder and now I'm definitely leaning towards keeping it. Unlike a lot of others, I don't see any games I want, really, on either system at launch. But with PS4 I get whatever they throw at us with PS+ so I figured there would be something to play. I may end up keeping my One but having no games for it besides maybe Minecraft. I have a bunch of MS points thanks to that $4.99 for 1200 glitch sale (or whatever it was) and since those will transfer over but expire within a year I might as well get the system so I can spend that money. In fact, in an ironic twist, that will probably mean I buy a full price game or two digitally early on ;). But it is either that or lose the money so that's an easy choice to make.

So the family plan is gone?
It sounds like it to me. They could still implement it for downloaded games, but it sounded like those are working the same as 360 as well (play offline on the system you downloaded it to first, or play online on any system signed into your profile).

Yeah, you need the disc to play installed games again, which means the Family Plan has to be nixed now.
That only worked if your account could be constantly verified that you have the license for those games.

I missed a line I guess, I figured downloaded titles might still be able to use the family sharing plan.. but then this line hit me " Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold."
Honestly if we lost family share for this.. well, that's going to suck. It was the shining bright light of the entire next gen consoles.
Yeah, looks like they nuked it. I'm surprised they aren't sticking with their original plans for digital copies though. As I said before, that would be the way to encourage downloads. An awesome sharing benefit would have gotten a lot of people to move over. For me personally, I am always hesitant about getting into gamesharing type arrangements with strangers so I probably would have passed. But I could see the appeal for others.

Oh yeah, and I just got back from GS where I dumped 7 old 360 and PS3 games I was never going to play again (thus, their value was ZERO to me) for $81 more towards my PS4 preorder...

Fortunately we have a product for people that aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360 One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-TJr0z_m8c

Internet before today:" DRM is bullshit!! Lol ps4 beat xboners ass!!! F xbone!!!"

Internet today:" lol ms flip flopping losers!!!! Dumbass microsuck losers just trying to save face!!"

The Internet: you cannot win.

Makes me wonder whose head(s) at Microsoft rolled over this fiasco.

All I can say is thank you Sony for saving the console game industry.

A game that dynamically adjusts its game play every week. Not in the way that a game like say.. Black Op's 2 does, but in a way that a standard MMO does, yet its not a MMO.

Titanfall as well, since it has no single player campaign, only online. Given what they know now, would they have went that direction with it? Who knows, probably not.

You simply cant argue that when developing a game, you always seek to hit the greatest user base. You could say that most likely only MS first party would have actually made use of those features, since multi-plat titles would have assumed that the PS4 might be offline as well, so adjusted accordingly.
You are assuming Sony has never offered a multiplayer only game. MAG and Warhawk comes to mind for PS3. Just cause the console requires always online doesn't mean everyone on that console is going to buy that game. So I don't see how if a dev want to make an always online game, not just make a multiplayer only game.
That wasnt the point. Of course Sony has online only games, as does MS, as does PC.

I'm a Developer, going to do a game for X1. I could operate under the following: Everyone has internet. Everyone has a Kinect. My game design decisions didnt need to weigh the pro's and con's of including online features or motion features, because my install base has those features 100%.

Now, my install base has lost internet. I'm not sure what the install base is that actually has that feature. If I go by previous gen, 52-63% depending upon what report you'd like to believe. So, do I use my limited resources developing neat little online features, knowing that 37-48% of my install base wont use them? Probably not honestly, not if I can use those resources on something that all my installed base can use.

It would actually help if you can describe a feature that is so great it required always online, that a multiplayer only game won't do. You can't compare a hardware like the kinect to something as broad as the "internet".

You just gave me examples of games that required to be online, but gave me no particular feature that is so great that always online for a console is required that a multiplayer only game can't do.

Internet before today:" DRM is bullshit!! Lol ps4 beat xboners ass!!! F xbone!!!"

Internet today:" lol ms flip flopping losers!!!! Dumbass microsuck losers just trying to save face!!"

I'm not being that way and I was very firmly against the Bone. Though I give way more props to Sony for this than for Microsoft backpedaling.

They definitely should rename it to the Xbox One-Eighty.

Smart move to act quickly. The majority of their market in five months will have either forgot, never knew a out it or no longer care. Definitely impressed by the quick move. Wonder what execs won't be at E3 next year :)

Defense against Internet before today: "Xbox One is the future! PS4 is just an upgraded PS3, Xbox One is a revolution!"

Defense against Internet today: "They're even! Microsoft Won!"

The Internet: flip flops like Microsoft.

I'm betting MS will now release some sort of subscription base model as well to counter Sonys $399.99 price point. Still shocked at this turnaround. Holy shit.

Your bullshit is starting to get annoying Rippn. Like, seriously.

Saving the console industry? You mean keeping it in the 90's?

Like they were discussing on Reddit, we'll have Starship's out in outer space, but you better keep my damn disc based console or else!

I think this logic is flawed tho. If they were removing the ability to connect to the internet from the system, then your comparison would be accurate. But they're not. And you have to figure that no one who has internet is NOT going to connect a next-gen system to it if they are able to. Basically, anyone who was on board with the Xbox One before because they have hi-speed internet will still be connecting said internet to the system. All this does is open the door to anyone who didn't have that option previously, and obviously if they didn't have internet available they weren't going to be playing an online-only game anyway.

Like they were discussing on Reddit, we'll have Starship's out in outer space, but you better keep my damn disc based console or else!
What's funny is that people were saying that Xbox One is the future and becoming like Steam...

You know, a service that has been out for 10 years. The future...

Just because you bought in to the silly Microsoft marketing buzzwords that it was the future doesn't mean I'm stuck in the 90's. And I'm glad you're getting annoyed, it was annoying trying to convince you douches how bad this was for consumers.

DRM sucked but I was all in for the share plan. Its cool DRM is gone but no more sharing sucks. I'd buy all digital if those included sharing. I share my vudu with my brothers and would my Xbox too.

Yours is too. Some people (obviously the majority) prefer to have physical media. Just because you think everything should go full digital immediately doesn't mean everybody else should have to take a ride in your "logic train".

It would actually help if you can describe a feature that is so great it required always online, that a multiplayer only game won't do. You can't compare a hardware like the kinect to something as broad as the "internet".

You just gave me examples of games that required to be online, but gave me no particular feature that is so great that always online for a console is required that a multiplayer only game can't do.
If you dont get what I'm saying yet, your simply not going to understand so the point is moot.

You'd like me to give you examples of innovative features you could do for a console that isnt out yet, I simply cant do it. If I could, I'd be a Developer and making millions. Sadly, i'm not.

I'd be willing to bet if you talked to Insomniac, or Respawn especially, they might have changed their design choices knowing that now a certain portion of the Xbox One's install base wont get to enjoy their games. At the very least, Titanfall would have most definitely had a single player campaign included... an still might actually, who knows.

The only reason MS changed their minds is they realized that no one was buying their horse shit. That's why they still lose, they're just covering their asses.

Its going to be interesting to see how Sony responds to this since one of their big selling points was no DRM/Always online.

Why does Sony need to "respond"? Their big selling points are a track record of better exclusives, a more powerful console, and a lower price.

Having your competitor make a major misstep in the wrong direction isn't a selling point. It's just a lucky break. The only reason they made the commercial about used games was to kick Microsoft while they were down. Earning those cheap brownie points with consumers.
Better exclusives? By sales that is dead wrong. By quality we could debate it depends on your tastes.

You people clinging on to the family share plan make me laugh. They would have yanked or restricted that feature as soon as they had the numbers. And it was never fully detailed anyway, I highly doubt it was as great as people think it was.
The funny thing is how you treat conjecture as fact. You have no idea what the family share plan would have been like. So take your shit elsewhere. All the new policies they are implementing do nothing for me. If I wanted all these stuff I would buy a PS4... oh wait I'm buying one. So why the fuck do I need two consoles that basically do the same thing.

Just because you bought in to the silly Microsoft marketing buzzwords that it was the future doesn't mean I'm stuck in the 90's. And I'm glad you're getting annoyed, it was annoying trying to convince you douches how bad this was for consumers.
I'm sorry, the only one acting like a douche here.. is you. Your entire purpose in this thread has not been to have a discussion, but to insult anyone and everyone who supported the console, and MS in general.

You are, in short, nothing but a troll and if I was a mod you'd have been IP banned the instant I gathered what your real purpose was. Apparently mods here really dont give a crap about that tho, so whatever. Their site after all.

While I am a supporter of the console, I'm not blindly lashing out at those who support PS4, certainly not calling them idiots, morons, douchebags, and assorted other names you've used. Instead, I'm having a actual discussion between adults.

There is nothing wrong with discussing the pro's and con's of a system with other adults. It wasnt for everyone, that was obvious. It was however for a certain segment of individuals. It's apparent that segment isnt large enough at this point in time for Microsoft's investor to feel comfortable going in that direction.

I don't understand how so many of you already have a console of choice before the consoles are released. I'm waiting for more info before picking what next generation console I buy first let alone knowing what console I will play more as the next generation matures.

This news hasn't changed a thing for me since my 360 hasn't been offline in 7 1/2 years.

This doesn't change my console of choice for next gen, but I am still happy to hear this news. It's good for us all that neither Sony or MS is trying to push something like this.

If you dont get what I'm saying yet, your simply not going to understand so the point is moot.

You'd like me to give you examples of innovative features you could do for a console that isnt out yet, I simply cant do it. If I could, I'd be a Developer and making millions. Sadly, i'm not.

I'd be willing to bet if you talked to Insomniac, or Respawn especially, they might have changed their design choices knowing that now a certain portion of the Xbox One's install base wont get to enjoy their games. At the very least, Titanfall would have most definitely had a single player campaign included... an still might actually, who knows.
People that were originally going to buy the xbox one are still going to be buying the xbox one. Hence your reasoning is flawed. People with bad internet would had never bought the game in the first place so why does that matter to a dev when they are designing a multiplayer only game.

Battlefield executive producer Patrick Bach says there isn't enough information on the cloud for developer DICE to use it for Battlefield 4, but he admits it's an exciting prospect in theory.

"In practise we're doing things in real-time," he says, "so you don't want to send an explosion up to a cloud, calculate it then send the data back down and then it goes poof. We still need to have stuff done in real-time, but I can see other things you could potentially do with it."

Bach says calculating AI in the cloud sounds "gimmicky" because "it needs to be real-time". "It doesn't matter if you send it up to a cloud and it takes only a second, it's still a second too late. I want it the next frame."

I think we'll see an all-digital future well before starships what with the dumbing down of science education and gutting of research funding and general anti-science quackery out there from a great deal of people (including many in Congress). But that's neither here nor there in this discussion ;).

DRM sucked but I was all in for the share plan. Its cool DRM is gone but no more sharing sucks. I'd buy all digital if those included sharing. I share my vudu with my brothers and would my Xbox too.
Granted, it seemed like this plan had potential. But the lack of specifics probably meant they hadn't completely hashed it out yet and it may never have been as great as people were projecting it to be. And like I said, there's nothing to stop them from implementing it for digital copies at some point anyway.

--------------

On a general note about the thread. I think most of the discussion has been reasonable on both sides. People are disagreeing and arguing and that is fine. People do need to stop throwing around "douche" and "idiot" though. The thread moves too fast for me to clean all of that out but I will address it when I see it.

One of the big results of this entire fiasco?...

Sony gets a free pass on erecting a paywall for the PS4's on-line multiplayer.

This just goes to show how important it can be to manage your marketing message. A more united front on Microsoft's part could have better pitched this whole initiative, and mitigated the reaction from the general gamer, the press, and their shareholders. Instead they handed Sony free positive PR that they could run with, and made the $100 price difference that much more significant.

It was good for Microsoft to make this about-face when they did. They still have plenty of time before the XBox One's marketing for the general public needs to ramp up. But now they have an uphill battle going into the holidays.

If I were them, I would get cable companies to publicy announce reduced-price XBox One "bundles," for signing up for premium service plans. Anything they can do to reduce that $100 price difference will help.

But in the future the ability of replicators to copy all forms of media will drive all of the developers and publishers out of business so there will be no games to play on the Xbox 9000. Also, will there be internet in outer space? We need to know this so we can determine if our XBOX 9000 can access our games stored in the Xbox Nebula.

You people clinging on to the family share plan make me laugh. They would have yanked or restricted that feature as soon as they had the numbers. And it was never fully detailed anyway, I highly doubt it was as great as people think it was.
The funny thing is how you treat conjecture as fact. You have no idea what the family share plan would have been like. So take your shit elsewhere. All the new policies they are implementing do nothing for me. If I wanted all these stuff I would buy a PS4... oh wait I'm buying one. So why the fuck do I need two consoles that basically do the same thing.
So the vague description that Microsoft gave should be treated as fact? Guess it only goes one way with you clowns.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-80-microsoft-reverses-xbox-one-drm-features/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

It was only a matter of time; there is no way this would have made it through to launch.

Statement from Don Mattrick, President, Interactive Entertainment Business:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

People that were originally going to buy the xbox one are still going to be buying the xbox one. Hence your reasoning is flawed. People with bad internet would had never bought the game in the first place so why does that matter to a dev when they are designing a multiplayer only game.
Don't be so sure actually.

Microsoft is going to lose customers over this, if they cant see that, then they are truly blind.

The online only nature of the console was why we wanted it. Now that it's gone.. the excitement sort of died to be honest. Now I'm back to putting in discs, where as before it woudnt matter if I did buy a disc, I could play it without it. I'm back to not having a family share plan and letting my son on the other side of the country borrow my games 6 months later instead of the day they come out, etc etc.

One needs only to read major nelson's blog or check the twitter responses to see that many are now debating if they should even get it.

PS4 vs Xbox One comparison's before were quiet stark. A line was drawn. Now? You've got no line. They both are *identical* in features. The only difference is $100 lower price, exclusives, and PS4 slightly more powerful. The tilt just went toward the PS4, where as before the tilt fluctuated depending upon your perceived value of used games and online only.

Lulz, I heard Don Mattrick back pedaled all the way home from E3.

Wow, turns out anti-consumer is not a good marketing strategy after all, who knew.

Battlefield executive producer Patrick Bach says there isn't enough information on the cloud for developer DICE to use it for Battlefield 4, but he admits it's an exciting prospect in theory.

"In practise we're doing things in real-time," he says, "so you don't want to send an explosion up to a cloud, calculate it then send the data back down and then it goes poof. We still need to have stuff done in real-time, but I can see other things you could potentially do with it."

Bach says calculating AI in the cloud sounds "gimmicky" because "it needs to be real-time". "It doesn't matter if you send it up to a cloud and it takes only a second, it's still a second too late. I want it the next frame."
And according to Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/titanfalls-structure-and-cloud-computing-on-xbox-one-explaine/

Essentially, cloud computing helps matchmaking, allowing dedicated servers to be spun up on a moment's notice to handle multiplayer matches and find you the most local option when searching for a game
Correct me if I'm wrong...but is that much different from how things are handled now?

Are we even sure they have completely backpedaled?  They could still offer all those features on their digital purchases which would give incentive to purchase digital content.  Who knows at least they took a step in the right direction.

Now if xbox can remove its stupid always on kinect camera it'd be a much more tougher decision to make.

Are we even sure they have completely backpedaled? They could still offer all those features on their digital purchases which would give incentive to purchase digital content. Who knows at least they took a step in the right direction.
Oh you mean like what every game made by EA/Ubisoft does now?

So, to sum up:

Gains:
DRM free... game discs traded, rented, lent to friends.

Used games.. sold, purchased, etc at craigslist, ebay, in person.

Only or Offline, it's up to you.

Lost:

Disc free play.

Instant Game switching.

Family Share.

Asking Nelson for confirmation on the above, but the FAQ seems to make it pretty clear.

Don't be so sure actually.

Microsoft is going to lose customers over this, if they cant see that, then they are truly blind.

The online only nature of the console was why we wanted it. Now that it's gone.. the excitement sort of died to be honest. Now I'm back to putting in discs, where as before it woudnt matter if I did buy a disc, I could play it without it. I'm back to not having a family share plan and letting my son on the other side of the country borrow my games 6 months later instead of the day they come out, etc etc.

One needs only to read major nelson's blog or check the twitter responses to see that many are now debating if they should even get it.

PS4 vs Xbox One comparison's before were quiet stark. A line was drawn. Now? You've got no line. They both are *identical* in features. The only difference is $100 lower price, exclusives, and PS4 slightly more powerful. The tilt just went toward the PS4, where as before the tilt fluctuated depending upon your perceived value of used games and online only.
I'm not sure if Microsoft could offer a limited form of gamesharing like on the PS3 for digital purchases. We know the xbox one will get day 1 releases on the digital store. Maybe Microsoft will come up with something to satisfy both physical and digital only customers. But I do agree with you that your particular example, does make the $100 more for Xbox One seem less valuable now. But in the end I think this all comes down to the games, and you can still find great deals on CAG which you can share with your son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back