Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who didn't see it in the Xbox One preorder thread: 

If you preordered on amazon you can select 2 day shipping for release date delivery.

If you preordered on amazon you can select 2 day shipping for release date delivery.

Nice. Thanks man! I need to do that now.

MS announces they are eliminating DRM and for the first time in 2 years my internet went out today for more than a few minutes. It was down 8 hours today.  Coincidence? Yeah most likely.

Man fuck this...

Honestly what the hell does it matter? You don't like MS? Fine don't buy an X1 and leave folks alone who do want one. What's the big deal. All I have been trying to say is I am going with what I prefer. Not going to win and not looking to just mutual respect. Honestly I don't even know how this thread is still active and what purpose it is serving.

At least he's a good sport about the whole thing.

Way better than that Angry Joe idiot from Reddit.

Why do you take everything we say as if it was a direct attack on you?

Also...
1371680137133.gif

SsoTIE6.jpg

Major Nelson is laughing it off, so I don't think you should take it as serious either.

It's hard when I am the only one excited about the X1 in here and keep getting pounded. I'm not mad at you just frustrated.

What do you get out of bashing the X1 if you are such a PS fan? I know you had the 360 but it sounds like you have been 100% Sony since 09.

We're you even considering an X1 or do you enjoy battling folks on the Internet?
I've owned every console for the last couple generations. This is the first gen where I didn't buy the Wii U, and until the removal of the DRM has no intent of getting the Xbox One. My reason for getting on the forms in protest of Microsoft is because I didn't agree with the DRM crap and really felt that if it had somehow succeeded that this was not only going to be the future of console gaming, but it would set a precedent for all media. Even without the DRM there are still some flaws with the Xbox One and it still makes interesting topics of conversation so I don't intend to go away. And no I don't like battling with folks on the internet, I like debating with people on the internet.

Nice. Thanks man! I need to do that now.

No problem!

I have prime and it is giving me a delivery estimate of December 2. Hmm I dunno. My guess is that is wrong.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/313133-the-xbox-one-future-owners-discussion-thread-no-drm-debates-etc/

:crickets:

If there were a ton of great things that a lot of people are lovin' so far, then that thread would be King here.

Eventually this thread, just like MS' DRM debacle will die, and there will be a ton of great things to talk about.

This thread has been mostly a very great discussion of the real issues, and yesterday's announcement was a victory for all gamers regardless of preference. There's no reason MS can't still wow us with some new digital game features that will make anyone ditch their disc.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/313133-the-xbox-one-future-owners-discussion-thread-no-drm-debates-etc/

:crickets:

If there were a ton of great things that a lot of people are lovin' so far, then that thread would be King here.

Eventually this thread, just like MS' DRM debacle will die, and there will be a ton of great things to talk about.

This thread has been mostly a very great discussion of the real issues, and yesterday's announcement was a victory for all gamers regardless of preference. There's no reason MS can't still wow us with some new digital game features that will make anyone ditch their disc.
Yeah this thread has been mostly very good. Nice to see everyone so passionate about gaming. Some of us went a little crazy but it was entertaining watching the drama unfold. :mrgreen:

The change was a good move. X1 is now looking like a fine console, plus my gamerscore is on there and so will be all my gaming friends. Now if I just had the money for one....

I do really wish they had announced something, anything about Dance Central 4. The silence about it is disappointing. I'm worried it has been axed in favor of Fantasia. I'm sure that's a fine game, but I don't want to see DC end.

This thread is still active because DRM while arguably the biggest issue was hardly the only one. That's the beauty of the Xbox One, it's got major issues for everybody!

Dance Central is huge and one of the few well recieved and high-selling Kinect series. It might not be launch but I doubt they won't make one.

The change was a good move. X1 is now looking like a fine console, plus my gamerscore is on there and so will be all my gaming friends. Now if I just had the money for one....

I do really wish they had announced something, anything about Dance Central 4. The silence about it is disappointing. I'm worried it has been axed in favor of Fantasia. I'm sure that's a fine game, but I don't want to see DC end.
I've heard that Fantasia is amazing.

Yeah I knocked it when it was announced but every single person who has played it said it was really awesome. They also said there were virtually no Kinect titles as well though like Fantasia and that new KInect Sports was pretty much it. I don't like Kinect but that's a pretty terrible sign in terms of support.

I've heard that Fantasia is amazing.

This old guy is not a big dance game fan but it is very intriguing!

hmmm my delv date changed from nov 30th to nov 27th it was the 30th  3 hours ago. i already had free prime two day shipping selected and it still changed

Last edited by a moderator:
kinect had alot of fun games to play with my kids or when friends are over. No kinect game came out that made me want to play it alone.  ps move on other hand had some cool games for it that was fun to play by your self.

hmmm my delv date changed from nov 30th to nov 27th it was the 30th 3 hours ago. i already had free prime two day shipping selected and it still changed
Not sure why Amazon is messing with placeholder dates, but the 27th is the day before Thanksgiving, that is a day a lot of people travel, and I think would be a highly unlikely release day.

hmmm my delv date changed from nov 30th to nov 27th it was the 30th 3 hours ago. i already had free prime two day shipping selected and it still changed
Not sure why Amazon is messing with placeholder dates, but the 27th is the day before Thanksgiving, that is a day a lot of people travel, and I think would be a highly unlikely release day.
amazon loves to do this with pre release stuff with out solid release dates they do it alot with my stuff.

PS Move had games? Seriously Sony has done such a shit job supporting it no one would know.

champions was only the thing I played. Had tons of fun with it tho.

PS Move had games? Seriously Sony has done such a shit job supporting it no one would know.
Yeah I agree Sony sucks at marketing compared to Microsoft. They make a product and tell nobody about it.
But if you look hard enough, there was a decent amount of good games that had the feature...

• Bioshock Infinite
  • Killzone 3
  • Sports Champions 1/2
  • Counterstrike GO
  • Heavy Rain
  • Infamous 2
  • Littlebigplanet 2
  • MAG
  • MLB 13 The Show
  • Okami HD
  • Portal 2
  • Resistance 3
  • Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
  • Socom 4
  • Sorcery
  • The Unfinished Swan

I think at first it's going to have to mostly be indie titles, because it takes awhile to build up a library. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer say Killzone free in within a year though, it would have sold whatever it's going to sell by then. I wish I could remember who, but it's been said most games do a large majority of their sales in the first 8 weeks, after that it pretty much doesn't matter.
Sony did confirm 1 free indie title a month, but only for the first three months after ps4 comes out. I also think its hard to compare giving away games towards the end of a generation, to giving away games on a brand new console. You mentioned killzone within a year....how many people will still be waiting for a price drop before they even get the ps4.
Uh no they confirmed one digital title EVERY MONTH. You can check that right here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415602/video-details-playstation-plus-features-on-ps4/ there is nothing about only the first 3 months. Microsoft is the one who stops their free game program in a few months and that's after only having it for a few months in the first place.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/79639/playstation-plus-instant-game-collection-coming-to-ps4

While they didnt say when the titles I listed were coming (other than Drive Club, which has been confirmed first) it's a safe bet that indie titles will be released first, since they arent simply going to give you a new game for a brand new console free. Since all those are indie titles.. yeah :p

(Jesus, I come back to 130+ new posts, fudge guys, heh)

About the PSP-GO, Sony did intend for it to be a refresh of the PSP brand. That it didnt go anywhere was the reason you continued to see support for the 3000. IGN even said it was a rebranding at the time, as well as numerous other news sites.

Regardless, I wasnt aware that those of you so passionate about your civil rights to own your games drew the line at home consoles, and not portable consoles. That's good to know. Is there any place else where you'd draw that line, and say it's perfectly ok to not own what you buy? I'd just like to get it out there so we know exactly where your priorities are in the future when these discussions come up ;)

I mean, many of you brought up movies, cd's, book's, etc... but it's perfectly ok to design a handheld that only plays digital games you dont own apparently. According to most of you, you shoudnt wait until the product is released to start your negative attack campaigns... and oddly enough I cant find a attack campaign against the PSP-Go.

What I'm basically saying is, your being hypocritical. Until you admit the fact that they *both* want this, that they've *both* done this... your not going to actually be unbiased. (Note, not that I'm unbiased either.. I'm simply saying a majority of you have been trying to come off as unbiased because "You owned a Xbox 360". You do know what that sounds like right? "I have a black friend, I'm not racist" ;P)

Also, I'd rather not have to pay for online on the PS4 but I can see the necessity. Plus, since they're doing it through PS+ we'll be getting a lot of freebies and extras. There's additional value as oppose to Live, which really doesn't have much in the way of sales, freebies, bonuses, etc.
I woudnt expect major games on PS+ however.

So far, they've said it's one game per month, the first of which is a limited version of Drive Club. They've also said Don't Starve, Outlast, The Secret Poncho's will be coming... so there's 4 months of crap to be honest. (I listed DC as crap because I'd assume the vast majority of people will be buying it if they are into racing games, just like Forza for X1)
It's funny how vastly different we view this. I see this is a great selling point for the PS4 - certainly one that makes getting it at release a no-brainer. For me, the expense of a new console isn't so much the cost of the console itself (and as such I could care less about the $100 difference between the two). What gets to me is that to play that console, I have to pay full retail for the first few games I get for it - or otherwise there is no point getting it at launch (I waited for a year or more for both the 360 and PS3 by the way). Normally with the backlog I have, I wait until I can get things for less than $10-$20 (with a few exceptions like Halo games for my son, Borderlands 2 and Pikmin 3 for me - none of the launch titles for either system are must haves IMO). What I love about PS+ is that I will get a few next-gen games to play for free (and it really is free for me since I'm already paid up for another year on PS+) so I don't really have to buy any games. While of course I'd love it if they gave the full version of Drive Club that is definitely a game I would not buy for anything over $10, so this gives me a big-name title to try out day one and I appreciate that. And I'm thrilled that those Indie games that I would have strongly considered buying anyway are going to be part of it.

I agree 4H that Gaikai does sound promising and I own a some good PS3 games that I wouldn't mind being able to play once I buy the PS4 in a few years. But it is true that if you put what the PS3/PS4 offers entertainment wise up against what the X360/X1 offers the differences are quite large. He'll even the interfaces. Xbox's interface is a million times better than the XMB in my opinion. That why I don't mind paying $30-35 a year for live.
The thing with Gaikai is that it is an additional feature (effectively backwards compatibility) that Microsoft isn't even proposing to bring to the table. I'm certainly not buying a PS4 because of it, but it does have potential. It is no big deal to me if it turns out to be a failure or too expensive since I don't consider it a core feature of the system. Far from expecting the best out of it (unlike a lot of CAGs and the 10 gamesharing thing on X1) I'm skeptical on it working well and/or being cheap, but we'll see. I'm certainly not counting on it being completely free (even for PS+) so if any aspect of it is (PS3 disc in tray or whatever) then I'll be thrilled.

But I can't believe you are saying you are willing to pay $30-$35 more for an interface. I probably lean slightly towards the XMB simply because it does not bombard me with ads and tons of other stuff. XMB has neat columns with every feature (accounts, music, videos, games, store, friends, etc). But I wouldn't pay anything for either of them.

They announce paid multiplayer for the PS4 and you guys are giving me shit.
I'm sure Sony would had caused a shitstorm if they took away the monthly free games and just charged for multiplayer on PS4. Also Microsoft helped a little with the whole used game restriction/drm.
At the time I said the biggest gift Sony got from the MS fiasco was that they were able to slip this into their conference without much fuss since everyone focused on the no-DRM aspect. I'm not thrilled with it and it remains to be seen how it is implemented. For example, all my kids play online with the PS3 (games like LBP) and it was a huge advantage over Microsoft because I didn't have to shell out for multiple Xbox Live gold subs for my family (the "family" plan that MS had for XBL was pretty crappy - sure it was cheaper than full retail for 4 people but it was something you could never get on sale).

I have heard that Sony will allow anyone sharing a system with a PS+ member to also play online and if that is the case then I am happy since I have PS+ and would never think of not paying for that anyway with the tremendous value it has given me. It just wouldn't be worth it to pay for me and 3 kids to have it. So hopefully that rumor is true and that still gives Sony and advantage over MS in the case of larger families. I also heard a rumor that MS was going to allow online play with just one gold subscriber on a console but I won't believe that until I see it. It certainly doesn't work that way on the 360 right now.

Ashane - the key point is that the PSP Go was introduced an alternative to the PSP. Sure, they hoped it would take off and get better sales than the PSP had been getting, but it wasn't taking away UMD-based games when it was released. Perhaps if it had taken off and people loved it they might have phased out the regular PSP and gone all digital because that is what people would have wanted in that case - but that is all speculation. They didn't even get a chance to do that because the market didn't support it. If anything, MS should have learned from that ;).

Sort of back to the subject, I have seen some emboldened gamers in social media now saying that the next target should be pitching a fit to get Kinect removed (not as much for tinfoil hat stuff, though I'm sure that's there, but for cost reasons). Do people think this is feasible? Would Microsoft ditch Kinect before or shortly after launch if sales were still slow?

More importantly, is this sort of thing good? is Microsoft just a spineless, directionless company or is this sort of forward thinking in itself, being hyper-reactive to customers? What if fans also want 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB, or don't like the fixed hard drive? Will we as consumers basically design the Xbox Two through Twitter feedback?
See, I am actually glad they are including it in every system and think it is a mistake to take it out. Peripherals never reach their full potential if only a subset of the user base has them. A Wii U system without the gamepad would be even worse (but I have seen that suggestion as well as a way for Nintendo to get sales).

My family has had a lot of fun with a few Kinect games (Mostly the Double Fine ones). More of that but with a little more depth would be greatly appreciated. It is too bad they didn't show it off a little more as a gaming device at E3 (I could care less about the voice recognition/pane swiping aspects).

Ashane - you fail to recognize that the PSP Go was introduced an alternative to the PSP. Sure, they hoped it would take off and get better sales than the PSP had been getting, but it wasn't taking away UMD-based games when it was released. Perhaps if it had taken off and people loved it they might have phased out the regular PSP and gone all digital because that is what people would have wanted in that case - but that is all speculation. They didn't even get a chance to do that because the market didn't support it. If anything, MS should have learned from that ;).
The intent was clearly to go with that and phase out the 3000 model. It's what they did with the 1000, 2000, etc. It was not released as a alternative. It was released as the next release of the PSP branding.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/28/sony-pspgo-review

A majority of the reviews even said that clearly.

Did you have a choice? Sure, you could have stuck with the previous versions, just like you could have stuck with the 360 or went to the PS4.

So again I ask, if your civil rights to own your games are so important, where were you when PSP-GO was being released?

Answer? You were no where. You simply didnt care because it didnt effect you. Which is odd considering the tone of this entire 100+ page thread has been about how people are fighting for a cause, champions for gaming. My ass they are.

I'm just waiting for a single person to admit, just a little bit, that both companies want this, both companies have attempted to release much the same shit, and this was never about being a champion for gaming, but because it effected you personally.

Ashane - no, it is NOT the same because the PSP Go was not the next-gen iteration of the PSP. It had the same capability as the previous one which was still concurrent. If this had been the PSP 2 and it was all digital then, yes, people would have been just as upset. But, sure, keep running with it...

And I was never championing for a cause (it seems you are though). I just didn't like not being able to sell my own stuff - nothing more, nothing less. I never bought a PSP Go for that very reason.

Besides the fact that the PSP Go was concurrent with the other PSP models (despite whatever old reviews you can drudge up) perhaps it wasn't championed as much because it was viewed as a desperate attempt by Sony to breathe life into a failing platform (at least with respect to its competition). The X1 was a little different because it was one of the top brands dictating restrictions without options (on what system were you going to play Xbox One exclusives without the DRM restrictions?). You could play the very same PSP Go games in disc-format on the PSP so until they took away that option it never rose to the level of what MS was trying to do.

Also, the PSP Go was all digital and not the half-measure Microsoft was attempting. Honestly I think a lot of people would have had less problem with MS going full digital as at least it would have been a clearer path (and as we are all saying, that is the way it will be eventually).

i might be a person that buys alot of digital games if prices are decent after awhile. and looks like everyone shares gold on one system is here to stay that is fantastic. i think the family share program will be coming back with digital games after awhile
Yeah, good news on the Xbox Live Gold. That means I can let my son's gold account lapse and he can just leech off mine ;). Though I anticipate he will continue to play Halo games on the 360 for a while longer and he'll need it there so maybe not. For me, this is a better feature than even the best-possible scenario game sharing would have been. Now my other kids (besides my oldest son) can enjoy multiplayer on the X1 which they were pretty much locked out of on the 360.

And this puts pressure on Sony to provide the same feature with PS+ online play (with only one user on the console needing it).

As for the family share program, I would love to see that come back because I am immensely curious if it really just amounts to sharing of 1 hour demos. If it is true gamesharing like on the PS3 then that would be great, though it would only effect me once I end up with a second X1 in the house and that is many years down the line.

About the PSP-GO, Sony did intend for it to be a refresh of the PSP brand. That it didnt go anywhere was the reason you continued to see support for the 3000. IGN even said it was a rebranding at the time, as well as numerous other news sites.

Regardless, I wasnt aware that those of you so passionate about your civil rights to own your games drew the line at home consoles, and not portable consoles. That's good to know. Is there any place else where you'd draw that line, and say it's perfectly ok to not own what you buy? I'd just like to get it out there so we know exactly where your priorities are in the future when these discussions come up ;)

I mean, many of you brought up movies, cd's, book's, etc... but it's perfectly ok to design a handheld that only plays digital games you dont own apparently. According to most of you, you shoudnt wait until the product is released to start your negative attack campaigns... and oddly enough I cant find a attack campaign against the PSP-Go.

What I'm basically saying is, your being hypocritical. Until you admit the fact that they *both* want this, that they've *both* done this... your not going to actually be unbiased. (Note, not that I'm unbiased either.. I'm simply saying a majority of you have been trying to come off as unbiased because "You owned a Xbox 360". You do know what that sounds like right? "I have a black friend, I'm not racist" ;P)
You can call it whatever you want, rebranding,refreshing, it was still a version of an already existing console that did not have any exclusive titles released for it. So why would anyone care if I can just skip this PSP-Go and buy the UMD for my 1000, 2000, or 3000?

The equivalent to the PSP-Go would be if the 360 that was announced at E3 had no dvd drive. And had that happened, no one would have cared.

And I don't think anyone's trying to hide their bias, I think the point we are making is because we own both we have enough insight to pick a side rather than someone who has never owned the other and just bashes it for whatever reason.

If you want a better argument, maybe you should ask, "if you guys are so concerned about DRM, why are you purchasing digital versions of games on any console?"

the one question i would like to find answer to is how will frineds list work on xbox one will you be able to have poeple on your list that don't have a xbox one and party chat with them while they are using 360.

seeing you can hook up 360 in the hdmi  in could you with easy switch from xbox one game to 360 game

You can call it whatever you want, rebranding,refreshing, it was still a version of an already existing console that did not have any exclusive titles released for it. So why would anyone care if I can just skip this PSP-Go and buy the UMD for my 1000, 2000, or 3000?

The equivalent to the PSP-Go would be if the 360 that was announced at E3 had no dvd drive. And had that happened, no one would have cared.

And I don't think anyone's trying to hide their bias, I think the point we are making is because we own both we have enough insight to pick a side rather than someone who has never owned the other and just bashes it for whatever reason.

If you want an equivelant to your argument, maybe you should ask, "if you guys are so concerned about DRM, why are you purchasing digital versions of games on any console?"
While true to a point, you cant deny that if the PSP-Go had sold, that the PSP-3000 would have been phased out, just like the previous versions.

Remember, it's the intention.. right? While it wasnt a success, the intent was to make it so that you coudnt buy used UMD's, could not sell UMD's, and had to buy digital. It failed, but does that absolve Sony of any wrong doing in the matter? Of course it dosent.

Simply because you've owned both consoles says nothing actually, other then you probably purchased one "on the cheap" later on down the road, correct? That's the resounding theory I see for the X1/PS4.

I mean, I own two PSP-3000's and pay for PS+ on them, that dosent mean I have some sort of grand insight into Sony. It is not my primary console of choice, therefor simply to say "Yeah I own that" says nothing.

If you really stand against losing your rights to buy/sell used games, you should stand up for it regardless of the circumstances... correct? Because after all, like you've said yourself Rippn, it's a slippery slope right? So, if that's the case, does mean that it was perfectly ok for Sony to release the PSP-Go and attempt to go all digital, or no?

For example, all my kids play online with the PS3 (games like LBP) and it was a huge advantage over Microsoft because I didn't have to shell out for multiple Xbox Live gold subs for my family (the "family" plan that MS had for XBL was pretty crappy - sure it was cheaper than full retail for 4 people but it was something you could never get on sale).
the xbox live family pack is great for me....me and my brothers pay $25 a year since it started and we all get Gold. I was sad to see them take it out a few months ago but apparently if you have it set to auto renew, it will keep going. Ours renewed in april and we'll keep it until they force us out of it lol There was also a trick when you add someone to the family pack, it cuts their Live time in half and gives it to all 4 people. So if you bought two cards on sale for $35 and put it on one account, it would basically give everyone a year of gold for $70.

I have heard that Sony will allow anyone sharing a system with a PS+ member to also play online and if that is the case then I am happy since I have PS+ and would never think of not paying for that anyway with the tremendous value it has given me. It just wouldn't be worth it to pay for me and 3 kids to have it. So hopefully that rumor is true and that still gives Sony and advantage over MS in the case of larger families. I also heard a rumor that MS was going to allow online play with just one gold subscriber on a console but I won't believe that until I see it. It certainly doesn't work that way on the 360 right now.
io, it wasn't a rumor, yoshida confirmed it on his twitter account. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/302778-playstation-4-399-no-drm-region-free/page-74#entry10841339

Just click on the image and it will link you to the tweet.

While true to a point, you cant deny that if the PSP-Go had sold, that the PSP-3000 would have been phased out, just like the previous versions.

Remember, it's the intention.. right? While it wasnt a success, the intent was to make it so that you coudnt buy used UMD's, could not sell UMD's, and had to buy digital. It failed, but does that absolve Sony of any wrong doing in the matter? Of course it dosent.

Simply because you've owned both consoles says nothing actually, other then you probably purchased one "on the cheap" later on down the road, correct? That's the resounding theory I see for the X1/PS4.

I mean, I own two PSP-3000's and pay for PS+ on them, that dosent mean I have some sort of grand insight into Sony. It is not my primary console of choice, therefor simply to say "Yeah I own that" says nothing.

If you really stand against losing your rights to buy/sell used games, you should stand up for it regardless of the circumstances... correct? Because after all, like you've said yourself Rippn, it's a slippery slope right? So, if that's the case, does mean that it was perfectly ok for Sony to release the PSP-Go and attempt to go all digital, or no?
The point is it wouldn't have mattered if the PSP-Go took off, by that time so many PSPs were out there, if you didn't agree with it you could buy a preowned console. The physical media wasn't going anywhere because the market share was too high to alienate them.

But yeah obviously the intent was an all digital platform, that's the reason for the removal of the UMD drive. Was there intent to go completely digital for PSP games and quit making UMDs? Doubtful, again to big a market share, to late in the system lifecycle. Could have the intent been a prerun all digital for the Vita? Maybe, maybe not. It's like they said they have a huge installed base that is in Asia which has a very poor internet infrastructure, which is why I don't believe they were going to go digital DRM on the PS4. However I didn't trust Sony enough to not think that they weren't going to use the RF technology they licensed earlier this year. So I wouldn't say I trust Sony 100%, due to music cd rootkits and other stuff they've pulled. Did they do the right thing and go against the grain of what the gaming industry fat cats wanted? Absolutely, and that's something to be commended. However, if Sony starts to lose focus I will turn on them just as quickly as I did on Microsoft.

I'm trying to figure out you're point on owning 2 consoles. So I'll just say my situation, I picked up the 360 deluxe at launch. I picked up a PS3 in May after it launched when Best Buy was giving a $100 gift card with purchase. I had my launch 360 RROD, but this was after they were acknowledging RROD so they didn't tell me to pack sand like they did my buddy, and they sent me the coffin. I got a refurb back which had a white DVD faceplate meaning I got a basic. Had to send it back so I could get a deluxe, and it again was a refurb, you could tell because it smelt like cigarettes . I later traded that one for an elite because gamestop was giving insane credit for trading in old 360s, and it was a good thing to cause it was starting to red ring but I've had no problems with my Elite. I use to tell friends that asked me which console to get to get a 360 because I liked the cheevos, networked scoreboards, rumble, and Microsoft's attitude toward gaming. I use to buy all multiplats on the 360. It wasn't until late 2008 when Sony got on track and Microsoft started falling off. Microsoft was covering up the RROD issue, I was dealing with the RROD issue, live gold started feeling like a rip off, games were starting to get stale, there were issues with transferring XBLA licenses, ran into this when I had the replacement from the RROD and had to be logged in all the time to play my games, luckily they fixed this when they introduced the Elite. On the other hand Sony brought back rumble, introduced trophies, had some cool PSN games, and really started changing their attitude and that's when I started moving toward the PS3. And now it's completely opposite of the beginning of this generation, my PS3 is my main console and my 360 is for exclusives or multiplats that run better like Skyrim. So I've had extensive use of both consoles and networks. Not just buying one on the cheap and picking up a couple games like you're implying.

Sorry for the long post.

Ashane said:

I honestly think back then Sony's true intentions were to stop piracy with the pspgo more than anything. I doubt killing used games was on the minds of Sony for the psp when you can pirate a game more easily with that device. Going digital just meant killing 2 birds with one stone for them. They continued manufacturing the psp 3000 even after the pspgo launched. Pspgo failed due to a lack of psp games being converted to digital on the ps store. Sony didn't even bothered supporting Pspgo with enough digital games so saying they wanted digital games all along to kill used games with the pspgo is kind of a stretch.

Ashane said:
I honestly think back then Sony's true intentions were to stop piracy with the pspgo more than anything. I doubt killing used games was on the minds of Sony for the psp when you can pirate a game more easily with that device. Going digital just meant killing 2 birds with one stone for them. They continued manufacturing the psp 3000 even after the pspgo launched. Pspgo failed due to a lack of psp games being converted to digital on the ps store. Sony didn't even bothered supporting Pspgo with enough digital games so saying they wanted digital games all along to kill used games with the pspgo is kind of a stretch.
I lean towards this as well, just judging by the sheer amount of people modding their PSPs, I mean, you know something's wrong where the modding community has their own self help websites, you could mod the sucker as easy as copying files into your USB drive.

More info on the games with gold

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/21/xbox-live-gold-members-get-free-game-on-1st-and-16th-of-each-month-through-2013/

Ashane - you fail to recognize that the PSP Go was introduced an alternative to the PSP. Sure, they hoped it would take off and get better sales than the PSP had been getting, but it wasn't taking away UMD-based games when it was released. Perhaps if it had taken off and people loved it they might have phased out the regular PSP and gone all digital because that is what people would have wanted in that case - but that is all speculation. They didn't even get a chance to do that because the market didn't support it. If anything, MS should have learned from that ;).
The intent was clearly to go with that and phase out the 3000 model. It's what they did with the 1000, 2000, etc. It was not released as a alternative. It was released as the next release of the PSP branding.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/28/sony-pspgo-review

A majority of the reviews even said that clearly.

Did you have a choice? Sure, you could have stuck with the previous versions, just like you could have stuck with the 360 or went to the PS4.

So again I ask, if your civil rights to own your games are so important, where were you when PSP-GO was being released?

Answer? You were no where. You simply didnt care because it didnt effect you. Which is odd considering the tone of this entire 100+ page thread has been about how people are fighting for a cause, champions for gaming. My ass they are.

I'm just waiting for a single person to admit, just a little bit, that both companies want this, both companies have attempted to release much the same shit, and this was never about being a champion for gaming, but because it effected you personally.
Eh wasn't the PSP Go all digital? I dont know because I didnt give a shit about it but if I remember right it was. If so, what was there to complain about with it aside from that fact? I and I think most others accept digital the way it is (and it might not even be this way for long, we could end up being able to lend, share, trade in etc). Had the Xbox One (stupidly) gone all digital, that would be a choice by them which is not anti consumer imo. It would be stupid, but not anti consumer. Look at how the PSP Go sold, nobody wanted the thing.

Basically when I buy digital I have certain expectations which don't include reselling/trading, and when I buy physical I have other expectations (such as doing whatever the hell I want with that physical item).

You think everyone arguing is some Sony fanboy when that probably isn't the case. The reason I bitch about MS and not Sony is because Sony is not doing bat shit stupid things at the moment. MS is imo. So as soon as PS4 introduces stupid ass DRM, pay walls for things that should be free, mandatory spy cameras, or any other ridiculous ideas I will be the first to call them out on it, and I'm sure most everyone else will as well.

The PSPGo was an alternative for people who didn't want to carry UMDs around, and frankly all digital kinda makes more sense for a handheld console, since cartridges and UMDs are a lot easier to lose than disks, but the point is it was an alternative. Plus, I agree with ShockandAww, there's an understanding that if you buy a digital download then you can't resell that, but if you buy physical media, ie an XBone disk, you can sell/trade/lend that. If Sony's devious plan with the Go was to transfer everyone over to digital, then why does the Vita have physical media? You're trying to make a comparison that doesn't apply at all.

Why are we even having this PSPGo semantics discussion? Ashane swerved to it to hide his butthurt over the "loss" of the family plan and y'all are playing right into it.

I don't know why, but even though I know he's just throwing up any tissue paper quality argument he can, I feel compelled to respond.

The XBOX ONE does not come with a headset, correct?  Seems like this should be a required accessory....oh well.  I also read that ALL current gen headsets will NOT work with XBOX ONE.  That sucks.  I guess my Turtle Beach and DSS processing unit and going up on EBAY unless something changes.  I suppose I could keep the DSS and assume a budget X1 headset will arrive.

At least give the Day 1 edition a headset....that would be a nice bonus rather than a stupid LE controller that says DAY ONE on it.

The XBOX ONE does not come with a headset, correct? Seems like this should be a required accessory....oh well. I also read that ALL current gen headsets will NOT work with XBOX ONE. That sucks. I guess my Turtle Beach and DSS processing unit and going up on EBAY unless something changes. I suppose I could keep the DSS and assume a budget X1 headset will arrive.

At least give the Day 1 edition a headset....that would be a nice bonus rather than a stupid LE controller that says DAY ONE on it.
I'm hoping there will be a third party workaround since it sounds like the only incompatible element will be the headset-to-controller connection type.

Hopefully it's just the input (mic) channel that won't work on the Xbox One. I love the mic on my x31s and it'd be a shame to give it up but if the Kinect 2's mic work as well as they did in the demo's I've seen and audio still works, it's not that big of a deal. Maybe even better if it only picks up your voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back