Xbox Series S - $299.99

Amazon

Best Buy

GameStop

Microsoft Store

Target

Walmart

Wario64 wrote on Twitter:

some numbers I heard for GameStop per-store allocations for Xbox Series preorders:
Series X - 6-12 per store
Series S - 2-4 per store— Wario64 (@Wario64) September 21, 2020

Stores may also have a Microsoft financing program available called XBox All Access: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access#findaretailer

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email overnight from microsoft.com saying that I still have the Series X in my cart and to check out.  So I'm trying now and when I go to place order I get an "Unable to purchase the order at this time, please try again."

I got as far as the review page on the 22nd with it in my cart.

Watching this TGS event, the takeaways are so far...

Microsoft going hard on expanding in Japan which means more Japanese games on Xbox potentially.

The Xbox Minecraft community are crazy with their creations.

Balan Wonderworld looks incredible.

RE VIII looks great.

Hey, friends. If you upgraded from the Elite controller to 2.0, is it worth the leap? I'm thinking of burning the rest of my discounted credit on one for the new console.
I bought one and loved it. As soon as the criminally short warranty period (90days?!?!) passed it had serious drift issues in the left thumbstick.

Microsoft wouldn't do a damn thing except have me send it in for a refurb for another $100.

Lucky for me, I was able to return it via Google Shopping.

So, I know that Microsoft did not learn a thing from the first Elite and used the same cheap modules.

They won't support an obvious defect that they are responsible for.

So, I wouldn't purchase a premium accessory from them unless it was a deal and if you do, get the extended warranty.

I heard the latest batches of Elite v2 were silently fixed so it may not be an issue but fool me once.

I expect to get fully roasted on this but after getting the first version of the Elite controller, I never understood the hype. It wasn’t bad at all but having the paddles on (I think that’s what they were called) never felt right for any of the games and I ended up never using them so it was just a heavier normal controller.

Never understood the reason for it when the base controller is so good already, but I think it’s more the price for me than anything.
I agree. It's fine, but if you're not using the paddles or extra features, it's just a nicer feeling controller. I've never understood the obsession with better controllers, though. The standard one feels fine to me and i'm not looking at it that much so special colors and designs are not that exciting, either.

Yeah honestly the only thing holding me back from upgrading to the Elite 2.0 is all of the issues people have reported since its release. I’d definitely get it at Best Buy or somewhere you can add a 2 year+ warranty for it.

Does anyone know if you can use usb 3.0 external hard drives on the series x or is it only 3.1 and higher.  I cannot find it anywhere and I know that you need the SSD for series x games. 

Does anyone know if you can use usb 3.0 external hard drives on the series x or is it only 3.1 and higher. I cannot find it anywhere and I know that you need the SSD for series x games.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/24/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-custom-storage-solution-primer/

Hm, yeah their own post only ever says '3.1' for playing back compat / caching series x games to copy to the SSD to play. Never noticed that. Now I'm also curious if 3.0 will work or if it must be 3.1

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/24/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-custom-storage-solution-primer/

Hm, yeah their own post only ever says '3.1' for playing back compat / caching series x games to copy to the SSD to play. Never noticed that. Now I'm also curious if 3.0 will work or if it must be 3.1
I didn't know this but there isn't anything that's "USB 3.0" anymore. USB 3.0 got renamed USB 3.1 Gen 1. The Kingston hard drive website states:

"Therefore, USB 3.0 is the same thing as USB 3.1 Gen 1."

Watching this TGS event, the takeaways are so far...

Microsoft going hard on expanding in Japan which means more Japanese games on Xbox potentially.
There's so many possible hints or at least coincidences surrounding them buying Sega, you have to acknowledge the notion. The blue color scheme controller, the wording around the phrase "Still Iconic" (Sonic), the woman pictured at her desk crossing her arms in front of a cardboard box. People are pretty convinced it's Sega. I wouldn't be surprised given their history together, but not sure there would be anything for me out of it. Not really sure how much it would help them in Japan, but would certainly help them even more here.

There's so many possible hints or at least coincidences surrounding them buying Sega, you have to acknowledge the notion. The blue color scheme controller, the wording around the phrase "Still Iconic" (Sonic), the woman pictured at her desk crossing her arms in front of a cardboard box. People are pretty convinced it's Sega. I wouldn't be surprised given their history together, but not sure there would be anything for me out of it. Not really sure how much it would help them in Japan, but would certainly help them even more here.
Glitching for me. Says I have nothing in my cart :cold:

Edit: Sorry meant this for the comment above!

True, SOA vs SOJ has always been SOA (Sega Of America) beating out SOJ i think because Sony has been king of the hill for a long time in Japan. I don't see alot of benefits for me as an American if Xbox buys up Sega but would make sense to try to get at least a few more market share points in Japan.

Oh & Doom Eternal comes to GPU in 1 week so the Bethesda purchase is paying off quickly already! I held off on buying that game because i've had GPU for 2 yrs or however long its been out & haven't had to buy a game day 1 yet. Plus with Doom 2016 (which i did buy Day 1) it ended up on GPU and finally dropped off this last May so i knew Eternal would show up sooner or later! Didn't expect it to be coming so soon or permanently so those are just bonuses of GPU!!

And the thing i find MOST CRAZY is as 1 of the cheapest gamers in the brotherhood out there i used BING REWARDS on average to pay for 3 years of Xbox Live (i know its free now) after about 10 months of spending 5 minutes per day doing quizzes plus other things and then a year ago they had the $1 uprade to GPU so all of this gaming has been free for me!!!!

Then the year before that a friend had a extra 1 yr GPU so i got on for free but when it expired i thought the $160 msrp was way too expensive at the time (thank the gaming gods they had the $1 GPU promo soon after) but nowadays i see it for $100 ish on sale. I'm sure BING will have deals i can snag for free using points over the next 2+ years so i'm in no hurry to re-up my GPU since i still have 2 yrs left.

Sorry if this has been asked, but has anyone tried paying for the Xbox Series S with a Microsoft Store gift card?

I have the S sitting in my MS Store cart still, but want to be able to buy discounted gift cards to get it. 

Sorry if this has been asked, but has anyone tried paying for the Xbox Series S with a Microsoft Store gift card?

I have the S sitting in my MS Store cart still, but want to be able to buy discounted gift cards to get it.
You can use MS credit to buy just about anything on the MS Store. So folks have had issues adding additional credit after they complete a purchase, but that’s more of a CSR issue. You should be able to use credit and then pay with a card if you have a remaining balance.

I pre-ordered the Series X on the MS Store and had the entire cost (tax included) paid with MS gift cards. Should not be an issue for the Series S either.

Related to paying with credit at MS. When I pre-ordered, I had $10 in credit, and will pay the rest with a credit card. My question is: if I add more credit, will it be applied at shipping time?

(I don't want to have hundreds of dollars in my MS account if it doesn't work.)

Sorry if you've seen this question before. I'm trying to find a final answer. So far, it's 2-1 yes, but I want see if anyone knows for sure. Tried cs chat today and that person was useless.

Thanks.

Isn't the Xbox One X better, than the Series S?
It's a tossup. The XBox One X has better GPU specs but less punch per GPU TFLOP due to an older architecture. It tends to either equal out there or the XBox One X has a slight lead in GPU. The Series S, on the other hand, has a vastly superior CPU and a vastly superior hard disk speed.

I pre-ordered the Series X on the MS Store and had the entire cost (tax included) paid with MS gift cards. Should not be an issue for the Series S either.
Thanks! So it'll automatically apply the credit to the pre-order then? I don't see a "gift card" option when I check out.

It's a tossup. The XBox One X has better GPU specs but less punch per GPU TFLOP due to an older architecture. It tends to either equal out there or the XBox One X has a slight lead in GPU. The Series S, on the other hand, has a vastly superior CPU and a vastly superior hard disk speed.
See if someone could like....hot swap the parts, move the cpu and ssd to the one x from the series s, it would be the perfect 2nd best xbox console. Series s has a 4TFLOP gpu with 8 gigs of ram and the one x has a 6TFLOP gpu with 9 gigs of ram.

See if someone could like....hot swap the parts, move the cpu and ssd to the one x from the series s, it would be the perfect 2nd best xbox console. Series s has a 4TFLOP gpu with 8 gigs of ram and the one x has a 6TFLOP gpu with 9 gigs of ram.
The GPU is technically better in the Series S. You cannot compare TFLOPS on different architecture. The Series S GPU can actually do more, it just was designed to render at 1440p. They discontinued the One X because the Series S is the better overall system.

The GPU is technically better in the Series S. You cannot compare TFLOPS on different architecture. The Series S GPU can actually do more, it just was designed to render at 1440p. They discontinued the One X because the Series S is the better overall system.
I do think XBox One X has an in theory edge on the GPU because, well if we were to compare an old Radeon 580 with 6TFLOPs to a newer 5500XT with 5 TFLOPs, they seem similar in performance. So I don't expect a 4 TFLOP AMD GPU to be stronger.

However, there's another variable - the XBox One X has a CPU barely any powerful than that found in a smartphone. And that could really hold back games and graphics performance.

So here's what I'm thinking. Since modern games will be able to take advantage of the Series S' better CPU, I do think after awhile, you will see an advantage in favor of the Series S. I'm talking slightly better graphics. And that's before we even get to better AI and physics.

I agree. It's fine, but if you're not using the paddles or extra features, it's just a nicer feeling controller. I've never understood the obsession with better controllers, though. The standard one feels fine to me and i'm not looking at it that much so special colors and designs are not that exciting, either.
I agree the standard controller is plenty good, but the Elite is on another level for me.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Will hold at least for v3.

I pre ordered my Xbox Series X all with my Microsoft xbox funds. I added $550 to it 2 days before pre orders went live. It helped checkout fast too. lol So yes this will work and since gift cards are on sale for 10% off you can basically get a Xbox Series X for $450. lol Cards weren't on sale last week so i didnt get to take advantage of that for my pre order. But yes you can use MS Xbox funds to buy the xbox on microsoft.com or the xbox store.

Note last week there was a bug where the funds didnt show up correctrly but if that happens simply add a credit card to your account and it will fix it then you can remove the credit card. Bu

Yeah, discounted gift cards and Bing searches for points are the best. I am well over $1,000 in total points/cheap gift cards that I have accumulated since getting my Xbox One X 299 days ago.

Oh & Doom Eternal comes to GPU in 1 week so the Bethesda purchase is paying off quickly already! I held off on buying that game because i've had GPU for 2 yrs or however long its been out & haven't had to buy a game day 1 yet. Plus with Doom 2016 (which i did buy Day 1) it ended up on GPU and finally dropped off this last May so i knew Eternal would show up sooner or later! Didn't expect it to be coming so soon or permanently so those are just bonuses of GPU!!
Well, that Bethesda deal isn't done yet actually, so this was going to happen regardless of the acquisition. Still, now I have to trade my unplayed copy in because I'm so behind. T_T

Hopefully this is just a CYA email from amazon:

“ Hello,

We're contacting you about your order of Xbox Series X to let you know in advance that you may not receive this item on the day it is released due to high demand. We are making every effort with the supplier to procure more inventory. We will provide additional updates once more information becomes available.”

Yeah that email went out to everyone I know that preordered one so I think they are just sending it to all of us.  I am confident they will ship them for launch.

Same e-mail here. Hopefully it is just them trying to be on the safe side in case they don't get everyone a console. Is it supposed to be first come, first served? After placing my order they still had the page up with stock so maybe that's a good sign?

I wish the recharge kits would come back in stock at microsoft store..looks like i'll just end up using my reward points on DMC 5 SE

How much were the recharge kits on the Xbox store for Xbox Series X? I'm honestly getting sick of buying batteries all the time, and I have no Ikea or anything like that near me for fancy cheap rechargeables.

How much were the recharge kits on the Xbox store for Xbox Series X? I'm honestly getting sick of buying batteries all the time, and I have no Ikea or anything like that near me for fancy cheap rechargeables.
Do you have a IKEA by you? The sell surprisingly good rechargeable batteries. I bought some for my controllers and they work great.

Do you have a IKEA by you? The sell surprisingly good rechargeable batteries. I bought some for my controllers and they work great.
No, I have no Ikea by me. That's why I said that I have no Ikea by me. The closest one is probably about 100 miles away.

How can you from 2014 through 2020 use conventional batteries on an Xbox controller?
Didn't you have enough years in between to get yourself a Microsoft battery pack for $29.99?

🤔

How can you from 2014 through 2020 use conventional batteries on an Xbox controller?
Didn't you have enough years in between to get yourself a Microsoft battery pack for $29.99?
Why would you get a battery pack? Just get Eneloops. Didn't you have enough years in between to get yourself some Eneloops?

Old school batteries in 2020? Use a play & charge kit or get yourself a controller charging dock. I honestly can’t believe Microsoft is still allowing for the use of those batteries in their controllers. I mean; the Elite 2 has a rechargeable battery, not sure why they didn’t continue on with that. 🤷‍♂️

Old school batteries in 2020? Use a play & charge kit or get yourself a controller charging dock. I honestly can’t believe Microsoft is still allowing for the use of those batteries in their controllers. I mean; the Elite 2 has a rechargeable battery, not sure why they didn’t continue on with that. ‍♂
Those AA's still last longer then a fully charge PS4 controller by far. . would be interesting to know how many charges a PS4 controller goes through for the same level of use before those AA's n the MS controller need to be replaced.

Those AA's still last longer then a fully charge PS4 controller by far. . would be interesting to know how many charges a PS4 controller goes through for the same level of use before those AA's n the MS controller need to be replaced.
Well yeah no surprise there; the DualShock 4’s battery is ass, even with the lightbar settings on dim. Really hope the DualShock 5 has a way better battery life.

I guess I just prefer to not have to change the batteries. When the controller dies, I just put it on the dock to charge, and it gives the controllers a place to rest when not being used.

I have like 8 eneloops and 8 IKEA rechargeables that I rotate through between my two controllers and my sons sleep noise machine. And if I ever forget to charge them I have the Insignia battery packs that go on the side of the system as back up.

I alpha and beta test video games as a side job sometimes. Why would I lie about something stupid like that? Look at my profile picture, I got that from alpha testing for Microsoft. My ex boyfriend works for Google. That's how I got to beta test Stadia. I live near the San Francisco bay area and silicon valley. I also beta test for EA and Ubisoft. I just sign nondisclosure agreements, so I can't talk about them. I alpha and beta tested Plants Vs. Zombies Battle for Neighborville, when it was called Plants Vs. Zombies Picnic. I also beta tested the newest Star Wars game coming out soon. Being a background actor in Hollywood films gives me a lot of free time to play video games, and beta test. It also helps me pay my bills.
No, I have no Ikea by me. That's why I said that I have no Ikea by me. The closest one is probably about 100 miles away.
You claim to live near San Francisco/silicon valley area but now you're 100 miles away from ikea? There's one 15 minutes away from San Francisco and another 10 minutes from Palo Alto. Your lies are so strange.

4400 Shellmound St, Emeryville, CA 94608

1700 E Bayshore Rd, East Palo Alto, CA 94303

bread's done
Back