Xbox Series S - $299.99

Amazon

Best Buy

GameStop

Microsoft Store

Target

Walmart

Wario64 wrote on Twitter:

some numbers I heard for GameStop per-store allocations for Xbox Series preorders:
Series X - 6-12 per store
Series S - 2-4 per store— Wario64 (@Wario64) September 21, 2020

Stores may also have a Microsoft financing program available called XBox All Access: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access#findaretailer

Last edited by a moderator:
They're still selling out. When I got up 2 hours after the drop, one of my targets still had 38. It's now 11AM and they have one left but no way to order it.

For those still trying to get a series x, I recommend downloading the OctoShop browser extension. It alerted me to target having then in stock on 12/21 and I immediately got one, which was ready for pickup in a few hours. OctoShop alerted me before twitter or the stock tracking websites.

I've got a 2018 Samsung Frame TV, specs say it's only HDMI 2.0 (but will do HDR + 4K). Am I going to be sad if I upgrade to a Series X?

I've got a 2018 Samsung Frame TV, specs say it's only HDMI 2.0 (but will do HDR + 4K). Am I going to be sad if I upgrade to a Series X?
The 2018 Frame has mediocre HDR because it lacks local dimming and sufficient brightness (much like the Samsung TU8000 I recently commented on), but otherwise the 4K picture is still going to look great.

No, there is a performance increase in games. The Frame TV isn't super high end in picture but it's not bad either. You'll be happy if you want a new xbox, if you're on the fence, it feels like a one x x.

It's kind of a complicated issue because this stuff about "4K 120Hz" - well some games will support it and it will look nice, but it seems to be to some extent marketing mumbo jumbo as a lot of demanding, graphical games struggle even reaching 4K 60 on the Series X.

You're not going to get 4K 120hz with brand new AAA console games right now, no.  But if you're buying a television today then you're going to want 4K120fps capability going forward (and probably G-sync).   Your new TV is meant to last you several years.  Plus, if you are hooking up your PC for gaming, and buying a new Nvidia 3080+ graphics card, then you are going to want 4K120 capability immediately. 

But no, current console owners don't need anything beyond 4K60 capable televisions right now.  These machines do not have true 4K (60+ fps) graphical capabilities with demanding AAA games.

Trying to help a buddy find a series x now, anybody having regular restocks? Or any Twitter accounts to follow? I’ve had mine since launch so I haven’t been keeping up with anything

Trying to help a buddy find a series x now, anybody having regular restocks? Or any Twitter accounts to follow? I’ve had mine since launch so I haven’t been keeping up with anything
Wario is a good Twitter follow. Most have been restocking weekly, though, Target and Best Buy seem to only be for store-pickup right now.

I sold an extra on offer up yesterday for only $600. I have seen some used ones going for $550. If he doesn't mind paying a little markup, he could have one right now. Check Offerup and CL in your area. You might be able to find brand new ones for $600 or cheaper or if he doesn't mind used, I have seen good deals on them. The best deal I've seen for a used one was the Series X with the 1TB extra storage for $550.

You know whats crazy?

Go on Ebay and people are paying $300+ for new xbox one S systems.

I know a lot of people still prefer disc but at that point I'd save for a Series X or go digital and get a series S.

Microsoft also needs to discontinue the older systems to avoid brand confusion.

The Xbox Series S isn’t a great value proposition because of the limited ssd storage size...even 1 TB isn’t enough for anyone interested in going all digital since downloading a 50-100 GB game is hardly more convenient than popping in a disc (and then having to wait for it to install)

The Xbox Series S isn’t a great value proposition because of the limited ssd storage size...even 1 TB isn’t enough for anyone interested in going all digital since downloading a 50-100 GB game is hardly more convenient than popping in a disc (and then having to wait for it to install)
While this is all true, with the PS5s having 825GB, it looks like none of the consoles are aiming to be a great value proposition right now. Sure the Series S probably relies on people looking to spend less money, but for next generation... the amount of storage is pretty low on all consoles.

You can buy a cheap external drive and transfer games or just download the games you want. I'm sure a lot of gamers from last gen are lugging externals around already.

Also the Xbox one S is just 1tb. Lacks a ssd so much slower load times and the series s has way more horse power. The digital attach ratio was already over 70 percent in Europe with covid and I can't see the USA being far much behind. The Series X offers the best of both worlds but I'm just finding it hard to believe people would buy a old gen system for the same price at $300.

While this is all true, with the PS5s having 825GB, it looks like none of the consoles are aiming to be a great value proposition right now. Sure the Series S probably relies on people looking to spend less money, but for next generation... the amount of storage is pretty low on all consoles.
If there is another mid-gen refresh, a la PS4 pro / XSX, then we are going to be in this same position all over again in two years. That is disturbing.

OTTH consoles seem to hold their value very well now. As long as you sell at the right time.

They did everything to meet the price points they’re at. I’m waiting for more onboard storage (and games).

HUH? They are an amazing value. You can't even build a PC with a 4K player as powerful as the PS5 or Series X for under $1000 so both systems are an absolute steal.

HUH? They are an amazing value. You can't even build a PC with a 4K player as powerful as the PS5 or Series X for under $1000 so both systems are an absolute steal.
You are making a mistake by comparing consoles to PC's. The person you responded to was trying to make the point by comparing the PS5 to the PS4 and the Series X to the Xbox One. The value proposition is not as good as it was last gen. You want to expand the Series X by an additional 1TB? That's $200 more. Whereas you could buy a larger external USB drive for a 1/4 the price and play the games from that drive.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox X can also do 4k. Sure the performance should be better on the newer consoles but the value isn't there especially when the games already looked pretty good on the PS4 Pro and X.

You are making a mistake by comparing consoles to PC's. The person you responded to was trying to make the point by comparing the PS5 to the PS4 and the Series X to the Xbox One. The value proposition is not as good as it was last gen. You want to expand the Series X by an additional 1TB? That's $200 more. Whereas you could buy a larger external USB drive for a 1/4 the price and play the games from that drive.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox X can also do 4k. Sure the performance should be better on the newer consoles but the value isn't there especially when the games already looked pretty good on the PS4 Pro and X.
PS4 Pro cannot do true 4K. It upscales the image. It also does not have a 4K player. PS5 is true 4K like One X and Series X. I agree that both PS4 Pro and One X games already look and play great. The Series X just makes those game look and play(loads much faster) even better. It's not as big a leap as PS3/360 gen to One and PS4(yet anyway) but it's still an amazing value for how much more powerful they are. You don't have to buy that $200 storage. There are cheaper options.

PS4 Pro cannot do true 4K. It upscales the image. It also does not have a 4K player. PS5 is true 4K like One X and Series X. I agree that both PS4 Pro and One X games already look and play great. The Series X just makes those game look and play(loads much faster) even better. It's not as big a leap as PS3/360 gen to One and PS4(yet anyway) but it's still an amazing value for how much more powerful they are. You don't have to buy that $200 storage. There are cheaper options.
There were a few games that ran native 4K on the PS4 Pro. Wipeout ran at 60FPS and was a true native 4K game on the PS4 Pro. There were several other games that were native 4K games on the Pro but ran at 30FPS.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-wipeout-omega-collection-is-the-4k60-ps4-pro-experience-weve-been-waiting-for

As of right now there are no other alternatives but to pay $200 for an extra 1TB of storage for the X. Perhaps you can get them on sale but that's a lot of money just for an additional TB while paying hundreds for the console. If you want to play a Series X game it MUST be installed on the internal storage of the X or you'll need the Seagate expansion card. That's not good value vs last gen.

Got a Series X question. Just got mine last week. I've been playing Immortals on XB1 and upgraded to the X version. I have found that I don't need to insert the disc. Is that normal? I've been playing without the disc for at least a week.

Got a Series X question. Just got mine last week. I've been playing Immortals on XB1 and upgraded to the X version. I have found that I don't need to insert the disc. Is that normal? I've been playing without the disc for at least a week.
Upgraded to the X version? Is there some special way to do this? I thought you just installed it from disk and if it is on a Series X, it does that otherwise you get 30fps. I don't know about the disc question, will have to try that.

Upgraded to the X version? Is there some special way to do this? I thought you just installed it from disk and if it is on a Series X, it does that otherwise you get 30fps. I don't know about the disc question, will have to try that.
I just put in my disc version and it said there is a next gen update. I downloaded it and continued playing. I actually was playing Call of duty and took out the disc when I was finished but the game didn't stop. I was able to play another round of cod without the disc so I tried Immortals. The next day Call of Duty asked me to insert the disc but Immortals didn't and hasn't.

I just put in my disc version and it said there is a next gen update. I downloaded it and continued playing. I actually was playing Call of duty and took out the disc when I was finished but the game didn't stop. I was able to play another round of cod without the disc so I tried Immortals. The next day Call of Duty asked me to insert the disc but Immortals didn't and hasn't.
I was trying to figure out how you do upgrades on the Series S/X. It has just seemed automatic from what I can tell. I know on PS5 it is a little more "interesting" and the versions are actually different (with the PS44 sometimes being the default).

As far as I can tell the Series X upgrades for Immortals are pretty much 4k at 60fps, whereas the old gen are 30fps (and a little more detail here and there on the Series). Is that correct? I have noticed the occasional screen tear on Series X when panning fast but it is really smooth and solid pretty much all the time. Digital Foundry didn't really go into this game to nitpick so how am I supposed to know if I like it or not? :p

There were a few games that ran native 4K on the PS4 Pro. Wipeout ran at 60FPS and was a true native 4K game on the PS4 Pro. There were several other games that were native 4K games on the Pro but ran at 30FPS.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-wipeout-omega-collection-is-the-4k60-ps4-pro-experience-weve-been-waiting-for

As of right now there are no other alternatives but to pay $200 for an extra 1TB of storage for the X. Perhaps you can get them on sale but that's a lot of money just for an additional TB while paying hundreds for the console. If you want to play a Series X game it MUST be installed on the internal storage of the X or you'll need the Seagate expansion card. That's not good value vs last gen.
Okay well most of the games weren't 4K so it's not a true 4K machine.

You can still transfer games from external to internal so that's something. Value wise, it's even better than last gen. I have already gone over that. You keep bringing up an inconvenient storage issue that most people are not affected by. Many have been deleting and redownloading games for years now and are okay with it.

There are some entitled people in this thread and just in general. They think they should be able to buy whatever they want, whenever they want and there should be an unlimited supply for everything ever made. I worked in retail during the Wii days and people would constantly be asking me when we would get them in stock. I told them that if they don't want to pay scalper prices, they would have to get here 3 hours before the store opens and stand in line. Most told me they aren't going to do that and I told them they won't be getting a Wii then. Most would get all mad and leave.

Same thing is happening with the PS5 and Series X. Retailers are putting them online at certain times but a lot of people refuse to be online when the consoles go live. They then complain the consoles are sold out. They are not easy to buy, I get it. But I was able to get 2 Series X(kept one and sold one) and PS5(which I sold) by simply ordering them online when they went live. For one Series X and the PS5, I had to stay up until 2:30 and 3:30 am but that's when they released. I did what I had to do to get the consoles. People here don't like that and right now, that's how things are. If you want a console and don't want to be online when they go live, you need to pay the non retail prices. I sold the Series X for only $600. It's worth paying $54 extra to not have to deal with the headache for a lot of people.

Bottom line, you want a series X, follow Wario64 on twitter and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_mPeAUHIF0 and order it online when it goes live. Keep trying and refreshing if it says not in stock and keep clicking the add to cart and checkout ASAP when you do get it in cart. If you don't want to do all that, buy one on offerup for $600. I've seen them even cheaper than that in my area. Most times they are used but you'll be playing a Series X RIGHT NOW instead of bitching that you don't have one.

Okay well most of the games weren't 4K so it's not a true 4K machine.

You can still transfer games from external to internal so that's something. Value wise, it's even better than last gen. I have already gone over that. You keep bringing up an inconvenient storage issue that most people are not affected by. Many have been deleting and redownloading games for years now and are okay with it.
Ok, so we've gone from the PS4 Pro can't do native 4K to it's not a true 4K machine. At least you are making progress and i'd wager that we would see a shitload more native 4K games if the developers had not moved on to the PS5. Because it's up to them to make it happen.

As to your point regarding inconvenient storage, let me remind you that an SSD has a limited amount of writes before it fails. Moving over GB's in the 20-50 GB range will decrease the life of that internal SSD. So that's why people need to consider the 1TB expansion from Seagate for $200.

Ok, so we've gone from the PS4 Pro can't do native 4K to it's not a true 4K machine. At least you are making progress and i'd wager that we would see a shitload more native 4K games if the developers had not moved on to the PS5. Because it's up to them to make it happen.

As to your point regarding inconvenient storage, let me remind you that an SSD has a limited amount of writes before it fails. Moving over GB's in the 20-50 GB range will decrease the life of that internal SSD. So that's why people need to consider the 1TB expansion from Seagate for $200.
Dude the vast majority of gamers out there buy max 5 games in a consoles life span. Of those games 2 are usually Madden or NBA 2k and the other 3 are CoDs.

I find it funny the amount of people that gush about Microsoft's hardware and software ecosystem. As great as that is we're going into another generation with Microsoft's same problem it's had for over a decade now: lack of exclusives. I don't even care if they're on PC also, Microsoft needs to start producing games like they did in the original Xbox days if they want to truly give Sony a run for their money. 

(not a tit for tat argument, I'm a classic Sega kid. I go to where the games are, period!) 

bread's done
Back