XBOX360 FAQ's: Live, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the chatpad is good! hrm i dont know how to resolve your problems though. it should work fine just plugging it in...

Is it possible to re-order the list of Xbox profiles on the dashboard? My little-used guest accounts are always on top so I have to scroll down the list every time I sign in.

[quote name='NTolerance']Is it possible to re-order the list of Xbox profiles on the dashboard? My little-used guest accounts are always on top so I have to scroll down the list every time I sign in.[/quote]Why don't you just have your usual account set to auto sign-in?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Why don't you just have your usual account set to auto sign-in?[/QUOTE]

My Xbox gets equal usage from multiple accounts.

I have been listening to the podcast for about 6 months, I think i first found it through digg..... I have really enjoyed listening to the personal banter and stories. It is one of the highlights of my week.

anyway, I have long known that I wanted to own an xbox 360, but just have not gotten on with it - and now that GTA 4 is coming out - i want it now!

I am looking to save some cash by possibly buying it used, craigslist has some great deals (and no tax/ shipping).

the only potential problem that i am facing now is the reliability issue/ warranty coverage. With the failure rate as high as everyone seems to say it is, I don't want to get screwed in 3 months with the ROD. Does any one know if a warranty is transferable on an xbox 360? Does it all depend on the age of the system?

thanks for any help/ ideas!

I redeemed an Xbox Live 1 month code earlier today when I found out my sub changed to silver last night. It gives me all of the options of sending messages etc. (gold advantages), but it won't let me play an online game of CoD4.

Any tips? All appreciated, thanks.

Does anyone have any idea why headsets would stop working? I can't talk to people in game (Tried with R6:Vegas, and Team Fortress 2) but when I record a message, the voice works. I can hear people in games, but my voice does not come through, except when recording a message. I've tried this with two seperate headsets and both act the same way..

[quote name='jer7583']Does anyone have any idea why headsets would stop working? I can't talk to people in game (Tried with R6:Vegas, and Team Fortress 2) but when I record a message, the voice works. I can hear people in games, but my voice does not come through, except when recording a message. I've tried this with two seperate headsets and both act the same way..[/quote]

If it's doing the same thing with two headsets, the next thing I'd try is a different controller.

wired and wireless controllers have behaved the same way.. the privacy settings are set to everyone.. no family settings.. so frustrated right now.

if you delete a friend from your friend list, are you automatically removed from their list also?

PS. btw, if anyone needs a couple of 48 trial codes, send me a pm.

Hey guys, i had a question about my 360 and im hoping you guys could provide some insight.

First of all, ive already had two 360's get the RRoD. Im getting very frustrated with it and i would much rather get an elite so i wouldnt have these problems anymore, but that wouldnt be very cost effective at all.

Ive played three games this past week (dead rising, bioshock, timeshift) all freeze on me or display the "disc unreadable" message. Its very frustrated to only be able to play for about a half hour then have to restart the system. so i guess my question is 1) do you think that it is the console that is causeing these problems and 2) if it is the console what do you think i should do about it... get it repaired or try to sell it as is and get an elite (even though i would be losing about $200).

I am def getting the ps3 version of gta 4, just so i dont have to worry about my 360 breaking and not being able to play it.

Any thoughts would help. thanx

[quote name='illini1010'] so i guess my question is 1) do you this it is the console that is causeing these problems [/quote]

What?

Hey, I'm getting a job telecommuting and I need a cheap headset to Skype with my boss. Since I already have two 360 ones I figure I might as well try to use those somehow. Anyone know what sort of adapter I would need to connect them?
thanks for the help.:)

edit: also, if it's not possible to adapt it, could someone recommend a cheap pc headset?

thanks for the replies guys. :) I ended up going to buy a cam/mic combo... but it was broken. So I'm gonna return it and try ordering anarchyburger's recommendation now that I can wait for shipping.

By the way, aniousjoe, that needs to be a wired controller, not wireless w/ play & charge kit, Correct?

I called MS on monday and supposedly bought a warranty extention. the guy said i would get an email confirmation. but i havent gotten anything as of yet. Has anyone extended their warranty over 800-4my-xbox? Just curious how long its supposed to take to get an email. I really dont want to call again if i dont have to.

this little problem has been going on for a little while... usually when im playing a game, just pretty much any game, and at random it tells me disc is unreadable(keeps happening to me in gta4) it doesnt happen all the time but a decent amount, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt(sometimes i can play for hours and never have anything happen). people tell me if it increases ur 360 is dying, but its always been random, and it stopped doing it for a while and started up again =\ whats going on with it?

I dunno... mine freezes all the time, I think mine is just as bad. Does it happen while in an online game? Mine does. Oh, and it's random too... one night it will be fine for the most part but others it seems like for every online game I play it has frozen just as much. Fun stuff.

Join the club. I get both freezes and dirty disc errors. Over the weekend I got the dirty disc error 3 times that I can remember, and the game froze on my about 5 times.

I think the dirty disc error is faulty hardware (since the game is brand new) I've seen it pop up with other new games. quite a few from EA actually. I would assume its the game asking the hardware to do something that causes more stress than usual.

The Freezing is most likely a game engine problem, seeing as people are seeing it on both 360 and ps3.

I seem to have the same problem after I complete a mission in GTA4 and it tries to access the hard drive. After it saves, about 5 minutes later it starts making that clicking noise and says that the disc is unreadable.

It is better to be pissed off than pissed on. I just sold my 360 because I am tired of trading them in for new ones.

[quote name='Dro']My brother wants to make his own gamertag, can he do that and share my xbox live service with him?[/quote]

No. Each gamertag needs its own Gold subscription to use the features activated by having a Gold account.

my box is coming tomorow based off the shipping #, then I have to ship it back ... so we will see how it goes hopefully they fix it.

Just got a new falcon/HDMI equipped Arcade, but where do I go to register my system? I can't seem to find it on xbox.com. Thanks :)

Also, what's the point of registering?

When you enter in your Xbox Live "1 Month" Card online on the site, is there a confirmation stating if you would like to redeem it or not? Or, does it just credit the 1 month to your account when you type in the number?

I think this has already been discussed quite a bit, but heck, maybe we want to discuss it some more.

I bought my 360 when Oblivion came out. Was that 2006? I don't remember. Anyway, I've gotten disc read errors ever since.

I've tried cleaning the drive with a DVD player cleaner thingie. Doesn't help. The discs themselves are spotless.

Annoying...

People have said this usually portends a red ring or drive failure, but I've had neither, and like I said, it's been going on since the beginning.

Anyone else have this experience? Any words of advice? It's pretty annoying, but it's not so frequent that I would want to send my unit in or anything. It might not even be under warranty anymore for all I know.

Microsoft American junkie junk. :S

I'm a really lucky person, though, and I don't think I'll ever get a red ring. If I was going to, it woulda happened.

I wish GTA IV would cache the whole DVD to the hard drive. Sure would speed things up if games had "install" options, even if you could only have one game installed at a time and even though you'd obviously still need the disc in the drive.

What's with game systems having hard drives and then totally under-utilizing them? Lame.

First the reason the XBox version of any game doesn't have an install option is because Microsoft did not put a hard drive on each version of the 360 (see Core/Arcade.) Second, DRE is the second-most common problem with the 360 causing it to need repair.

Really you should of called them sooner about this, as DRE is only covered under the 1-year warranty, while the 3RLOD is the extended 3-year warranty. Your best bet is to look around here on ways to get your 360 to overheat so it goes 3 red lights so you can get a free repair.

Right, but they could have the option for the users who do have a hard drive... Devil May Cry 4 is the only game I know of to have such an option. Actually, I think it might be a requirement.

I think I'll just keep taking my chances with the errors. They're infrequent. Obnoxious but infrequent. I tried talking to Microsoft when it first occurred, but they gave me the run around and I gave up.

I created a new account a couple weeks ago. Well now when I try to save replays or play custom games on Halo 3, my name on this new account blinks and it says I can't play or use user-created content on this account. How do I change this? I know there is a way, just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

[quote name='Will']I get the "insert a 360 disc" message when I put in a....360 disc...[/quote]

Yea, I get this all the time now. Got it on GTAIV fresh and new out of the retail package. I get it on GTAIV and Rock Band mostly, but it will pop up here and there. I usually just open the tray and close it and usually after 2-3 times it reads the disc, but sometimes it takes 5+ times. Also my OXM discs never read, but I think alot of people have that problem.

Not sure if I should call xbox support or what. Not even sure they will cover the disc read stuff now that I'm over a year in. Figure eventually this system will RRoD so I'll just wait it out, unless anyone has any suggestions.

My wife had to work Sunday, so my plan was to spend the better part of the day playing GTA4.

I powered up the 360 and told it to launch the game (the disc was still in it from the previous play) and the disc drive make a strange whirring noise i hadn't heard before. The game started to load (I got to the loading screens with the still images) and the "unable to read disc" message came up.
I took the disc out and there were several grooved scratches going along 3/4 of the disc!

I've had previous problems with my 360 'scratching' game discs, or so i thought. I had several games with marks that looked like scratches, but they actually came off with hot water and gently rubbing with a Q-Tip.

The marks on my GTA4 disc were different. These were actual grooves in the disc that were noticable by touch. I tried to clean it as I mentioned before, but it didn't work.

I wasn't about to resurface the game because i spent $90 less than 2 weeks ago (got the collector's edition) and i take immaculate care of my games, and a resurfaced disc in my collection would just annoy the hell out of me.

I called MS, they gave me the corporate BS about the 360 not scratching discs and asking me if i was using it standing up. I explained that the system was laying flat when this happened. Eventually he offered to ship me another coffin (this would be my 5th "replair"). I gave him my info to ship the coffin box.
As for replacing the game disc, this is between me and Gamestop and/or Take Two since it isn't a first party MS title.

I took the game disc and case to Gamestop with my receipt. I shop there pretty regularly and the manager is nice guy. I showed him the disc and explained the situation and he swapped it out for me with no hassle.

I had some store credit and decided to pick up the PS3 version of GTA4 so I can at least play the game without worrying about the condition of the disc and while I wait for the coffin to arrive/system to be repaired.

Now i need to decide what i am going to do with the 360 i get back from MS. I really don't want to risk damaging anymore of my games, but I've got over 30+ games for the system. I may just trade in the repaired system and use the credit towards an Elite down the road...any suggestions?

quick account question...

i'm going to a friends house who has an xbox (offline) for some rockband fun. he doesn't have rockband, so i am bringing my stuff. can i bring along my hdd for my account and dl content, without worrying about account recover problems?

I was in a similar situation. At first I thought that I was cracking my own games until I got a disc read error while playing a game. My 360 started destroying 5 games and I'm awaiting console repair #6. Ms also gave me the BS and probably thought I was a crazy. You're not alone man this is a frustrating situation especially when it's almost like throwing $65 away each time it happens.

I must admit Op you're a lot more patient than I am, if I'd gone through as many 360's as that I'd dump it and get a PS3.

Don't get me wrong I love my 360 and I've got about 90 games for it, but I think if I got to my third one I'd dump the lot and get a PS3.

5 replacemets is taking the piss IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back