XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='General_Klinger']So I just got around to purchasing a Premium with HDMI, but found out that wihout the audio adaptor, I wouldn't be able to get Digital audio from HDMI :(

The cable alone was 45$ so I decided to cancel my order and purchase the Elite set because it supposedly comes with the adaptor and the HDMI cable

Can anyone confirm this for me before I have to cancel my order again :lol:

I too am inbetween the Elite and Premium. Am I to understand the Premium lacks a port the Elite has? Could someone clarify this please? I noticed on some pics the premium with HDMI has a port below the HDMI and others don't, what is it?

[quote name='General_Klinger']So I just got around to purchasing a Premium with HDMI, but found out that wihout the audio adaptor, I wouldn't be able to get Digital audio from HDMI :(

The cable alone was 45$ so I decided to cancel my order and purchase the Elite set because it supposedly comes with the adaptor and the HDMI cable

Can anyone confirm this for me before I have to cancel my order again :lol:

I too, am inbetween the Elite and Premium. Am I to understand the Premium lacks a port the Elite has? Could someone clarify this please? I noticed on some pics the premium with HDMI has a port below the HDMI and others don't, what is it? Any help would be much appreciated.

My 360's CD-Drive started making loud noise today when I popped in a game, I've never noticed my CD-Drive being so loud when I play a game, is this a problem? or something that usually happens.

ps. I have an elite.

[quote name='yummytyson']My 360's CD-Drive started making loud noise today when I popped in a game, I've never noticed my CD-Drive being so loud when I play a game, is this a problem? or something that usually happens.

ps. I have an elite.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you're even playing games with a CD-Drive.

;)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm not sure how you're even playing games with a CD-Drive.

;)[/quote]

Well I put the CD in, so I guess its a CD-Drive? =[

[quote name='yummytyson']Well I put the CD in, so I guess its a CD-Drive? =[[/QUOTE]
Technically, its a DVD-ROM drive. No worries.

The 360 is generally a loud machine when running things from the disc. I'm not sure anyone really knows why, but it's pretty normal. However, if it sounds like your 360 is attempting to digest your game, you might wanna turn it off.

If i dont want the special hdmi cable microsoft offers for premium/halo 3 edition 360s, which cable would i want to buy from say...monoprice?

I just got an Halo Edition Xbox 360 today and d/l the gamerpics and theme, but I cannot find anywhere to change the theme. Can anyone tell me where to do that?

[quote name='OtherAdam']I just got an Halo Edition Xbox 360 today and d/l the gamerpics and theme, but I cannot find anywhere to change the theme. Can anyone tell me where to do that?[/quote]

Go to the system blade, go to display settings, and choose theme.

does anyone know of any sites out there that talks about which USB devices are compatible with the 360's USB ports? Anything from usb keyboards to hard drives and so on.

I am looking on ebay for Xbox live subscription card to renew my account next month and all the ones I see on ebay are saying for new accounts only and it can not be used to renew your account. Does anyone here now how true that is? They look just like the ones you can pick up at the store.

[quote name='SharpShooter']I am looking on ebay for Xbox live subscription card to renew my account next month and all the ones I see on ebay are saying for new accounts only and it can not be used to renew your account. Does anyone here now how true that is? They look just like the ones you can pick up at the store.[/QUOTE]
There's no such thing as a card "for new accounts only". That's a very common eBay scam. I've bought them from this seller, he actually explains that scam in his auctions.

The ones on EBay that say for NEW Accounts only are usually stolen FastCash cards stolen from places like walmart and usually don't last longer than 1 month. I havn't bought one of em but that is what I hear. Your best bet is if ur a new Google Checkout user is to get em from Buy.com. Other than that I don't know of any other place with em cheaper.

[quote name='SharpShooter']How safe is Google check out? I have heard alot of people saying that thier alot of problems with it.[/quote]

Pretty safe. Most of the problems come from people that use it more than once.

i'm guessing that free month is the month you get automatically for creating a new gamertag.

something weird about him selling MS points though, he's actually charging more than MSRP.

those renewal only card is a scam, dont buy them. There was a whole topic on this site but search function isnt working for me

i'll never understand how people on ebay sell microsoft points for MORE than retail... 1600 points for $22.99? in stores and on xbox live ITSELF is $20 plus negligible tax!

does anyone know how I can get the 360 and the Creative Inspire P7800 to work together so I can get the full 5.1 sound? I flipped the switches but it's not outputting 5.1, only 2.1 :( yet I know all speakers are working on PC mode.

Hey all.

FINALLY getting broadband again. Called up RCN, and the prices are in my price range now.

I'm not getting Xbox Live Gold, as I just don't have time for multiplayer. Any suggestions for anything I should check out from the Marketplace though?

Thanks!

All I hear are people complaining about their 360s going belly up and wrapping them in towels to fix them? I'd appreciate some objectivity.

I'm about to buy a used premium Xbox 360 of which the build date is said to be 02-16-2006 and lot number 06/08. Is there a date at which they stopped making bad 360s that give you the angry red eye or will I be ok? And what kind of percentages are we talking that start crapping out? I'd hate to piss away over a couple hundred bucks for something that'll die in 3 months.

Also, if you have to ship your 360 in for repairs under warranty, MS doesn't "pause" your xbox live account do they so you're not burning 3-4 weeks of time off your account while you can't play? Just curious.

Thanks guys.

[quote name='KingAdrock99']Is there a date at which they stopped making bad 360s that give you the angry red eye or will I be ok?[/quote]

If there is a specific date/time frame, it sure ain't February of 2006. The best guess is somewhere around July 2007 (though even that isn't perfect) - check the HDMI 360 Pro/Heatsink thread to see what folks are saying about their consoles there.

And what kind of percentages are we talking that start crapping out? I'd hate to piss away over a couple hundred bucks for something that'll die in 3 months.

There are zero reliable data on the % of consoles that die, so it's somewhere between 0 and 100 to be honest. Gleaning from MS' general extension of their warranty to cover the RROD, though, 100% of consoles have the POTENTIAL (key word) to die from RROD.

Also, if you have to ship your 360 in for repairs under warranty, MS doesn't "pause" your xbox live account do they so you're not burning 3-4 weeks of time off your account while you can't play? Just curious.

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. Time keeps ticking.

I don't know how MS handles warranties on used consoles - so even though any console should still have 1-2 years RROD warranty on it, you may be up a creek if it's registered to the original owners' name/address. Then again, you may be just fine.

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. Time keeps ticking.[/QUOTE]
They include a 1 month Live card in the box when you get it back though.

[quote name='mykevermin']My resurrected 360 didn't include one; must be a recent thing.[/QUOTE]
It was less than two weeks ago, so apparently it is.

Also, the 3 year warranty is an extension on all 360's, even launch ones with expired 1 year warranties. As long as the sticker is in tact. If your friend's sticker is in tact or the seller is reputable and it's in tact, you're fine.

Also, it hasn't been 100% confirmed if the new 360's have the reliable new hardware or not yet. They have the additional heatsink, but that's about as far as anyone knows.

I don't know if I should register my 360 since I got it refurb from that fantastic 2 year no hassle exchange program at Microcenter. MS told me that my serial number has never been registered. Oh well if it red rings, it goes back to Microcenter and I get another one (refurbed) on the spot and if they don't have any, I get my 249.99 back :)

Can I get a list of compatible wireless USB adaptors for the 360. My friend wants one, and I don't want him wasting his mony on an over priced wireless network card.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Does the 360 upscale DVDs?[/quote]

It does Progressive scan 480p...if you have the HD DVD add on and use HDMI or VGA connection it upscales to 720p/1080i/1080p

Been a PC/Nintendo guy until now, but the cost of upgrading a machine and the prettiness of our HD set finally changed my mind I played Oblivion on my PC, but will likely be playing Fallout 3 on the 360. In CAGish fashion, I found a 360 premium with R/G/B cables, a second controller, play and charge kit, wifi adapter, Crackdown, Gears of War, and a HD full of demos and such for $300 on craigslist.

My question would be, what Xbox (backward compatible) games or 360 games would you reccomend to a new owner, and (of course) where might I acquire said games cheaply? As far as console games go, I'm generally big on shooters/adventure games/RPGs.

Oh, and if you want to co-op Gears or Crackdown, or want to annihilate someone in Gears deathmatch, catch me on Live (Phneri).

Thanks!

I think it's safe to say Bioshock is a must buy. But i don't know where you can get it cheap.

Stranglehold is definitely worth at least a rent.

Viva Pinata is actually pretty fun if you want to try something new and different.

Dead Rising is very much worth the $20-$30 you can find it for now.

Halo series, Bioshock, Stranglehold, all the Tom Clancy games, Forza 2, Oblivion, Call of Duty series, Burnout series, Need for Speed series

There are a ton of backwards compatible games you could play (too many to really even list here although personally I've played Psychonauts and Panzer Dragoon Orta and Halo 2 via my 360). I don't know about everywhere else, but the Gamestop near me has an incredible amount of used XBox 1 titles for anywhere from $3 to $20.

As far as 360 games go, I'd say the most fun I've had so far has been with Dead Rising, Gears of War and Bioshock.

You might also want to look into XBLA games if you have a XBox Live connection to your 360. Some of my personal favorites are Catan, Uno and Worms.

P.S. If you do some searching through the 360 forums here you'll find a lot of other threads like this as well with suggestions on XBox/XBox 360/XBLA selections.

[quote name='LiK']Halo series, Bioshock, Stranglehold, all the Tom Clancy games, Forza 2, Oblivion, Call of Duty series, Burnout series, Need for Speed series[/quote]

This post plus
Dead Rising

And you're set.

I didn't even think about XBLA, there are a lot of really good XBLA games to check out, free trials before you buy too.

My current favorites:

Band of Bugs
Catan
Caracassone (better than catan, imo)
Space Giraffe
Outpost Kaloki
Assault Heroes
Pacman CE

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

I just got my second replacement unit since launch and when I plugged my wireless adapter back in it shows that thee aren't any networks available. Everything is exactly how it was before I sent the old unit away and I am typing this on a laptop right next to the console on the same network it used to work with. Signal strength/availability is not the issue, and if I could at least see my network I could put in the manual values. I'm hoping I'm just missing something really basic that I did when I first got the adapter and have since forgotten, but I can't think of anything. The new console seems to be fine so hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Mine did the same thing when I got it back I think you have to go to your network setting on your 360 and reset everything to automatic, I think thats how I got mine to work.

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help, I just moved to a area with a ton of wireless networks in range and to keep people out of my "art" portfolio I secured my network, all my comps have no issue, but my xbox is connected to the network with a linksys game adapter (ye old but works great) and i have no where to put in my network access password because the system assumes the system is connected with a ethernet cable. Anyone have any idea as to what I could do?

what do u guys use to charge your controllers? what do u recommend i have a plug and play kit but it stopped working so i am looking for something new does anyone have any other recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back