XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you CAGs place your 360 on a laptop cooler?

Linkin, would this be ok as a separate poll topic or does it need to stay here?

[quote name='ZForce915']How many of you CAGs place your 360 on a laptop cooler?

Linkin, would this be ok as a separate poll topic or does it need to stay here?[/quote]

I don't, but it is an interesting idea. But doubt I will do it.

Hey guys, quick question- sorry if it's been discussed earlier, but...

With the new Arcade console, do you still need a HD to save games, or can you save your achievements, profile, and game date unto the 256MB (or whatever the size) memory card that comes with it?

I'm not one for downloading demos and such, at least for now, so as long as I can save my games/achievements/profile, I'm good. I wanna get the most out of the system without having to pay for an HD that I don't currently need.

Thanks for the responses ahead of time!

[quote name='Tybalt Flux']Hey guys, quick question- sorry if it's been discussed earlier, but...

With the new Arcade console, do you still need a HD to save games, or can you save your achievements, profile, and game date unto the 256MB (or whatever the size) memory card that comes with it?

I'm not one for downloading demos and such, at least for now, so as long as I can save my games/achievements/profile, I'm good. I wanna get the most out of the system without having to pay for an HD that I don't currently need.

Thanks for the responses ahead of time![/QUOTE]

You can save your profile and game data to the memory card. Your acheivements are linked to your profile.

You'll run out of room on your card if you want multiple XBLA games, I'd suggest getting the Unplugged Vol. 1 disk if you want some games you won't have to waste memory card space on.

You will likely want a HDD later on though.

Just got my 360 about 2 weeks ago (Pro Bundle for free after massive rip-off trade=ins @ GS). I have had it freeze only once (during MUA) and am enjoying the life out of it. My roomie/Brother has had one since launch, so I'm no stranger to the world of 360 at all.

Free Southpark Episode? re-he-he-heally now......

Is there a thread for free cartoons/videos/movies/tv shows?

[quote name='ryoga79']Just got my 360 about 2 weeks ago (Pro Bundle for free after massive rip-off trade=ins @ GS). I have had it freeze only once (during MUA) and am enjoying the life out of it. My roomie/Brother has had one since launch, so I'm no stranger to the world of 360 at all.

Free Southpark Episode? re-he-he-heally now......

Is there a thread for free cartoons/videos/movies/tv shows?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a topic because it always changes. For instance, I don't think the South Park episode is free anymore.

[quote name='ZForce915']You can save your profile and game data to the memory card. Your acheivements are linked to your profile.

You'll run out of room on your card if you want multiple XBLA games, I'd suggest getting the Unplugged Vol. 1 disk if you want some games you won't have to waste memory card space on.

You will likely want a HDD later on though.[/quote]

Yeah definately, but I wanna save some cash and get the big HD, whilest being able to enjoy the games the Arcade comes with, plus whatever first two games I get. Thanks for the answer!

I've read through most of this thread and I'm still a little lost....Just got a 360, not an option to go ethernet, too cheap to get the official wifi adapter. So, what are my options? I heard you can get a PC gaming USB wifi adapter, but only some work. Is this true and, if so, which ones will work?

Thanks in advance!

So, my Live expires in 3 days. Right now it's set for monthly renewal, but I don't care to have Gold for right now, until I find a deal anyway. There's no opton to cancel live, is my only option to go to silver to call microsoft? Is there an easier way? Thanks.

[quote name='slavefive']I've read through most of this thread and I'm still a little lost....Just got a 360, not an option to go ethernet, too cheap to get the official wifi adapter. So, what are my options? I heard you can get a PC gaming USB wifi adapter, but only some work. Is this true and, if so, which ones will work?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
I remember the OP used to have such information. Anyone care to chime in because I was just about to ask the same thing. I might be moving again soon and the new setup won't have a ethernet cable nearby.

Guys, i'm having problem with a new wireless controller i got as a present. I got it like like a couple of days before the rechargable battery came out(blue controller). I bought a rechargable battery, and I've put it in, plugged in the charge kit and started playing. Turned off my system, tried turning it on again and my controller wont turn on. I try holding the middle xbox logo button but it won't turn on, whats wrong =[

I just bought a controller and rechargable battery, but my controller wont turn on, unless i plug in the play and charge plug. But when I disconnect the plug it wont turn on. What is wrong with my controller =[

[quote name='Hovercraft']Im gonna buy a long ethernet cord from monoprice.com. Which are 360 compatable?[/QUOTE]
Cat 5e or Cat 6 will both work. You won't get any better results from Cat 6 over Cat 5e so stick with the cheaper of the two.

I have questions about transferring my Data from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD and about the Transfer kit.

It says in the transfer manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?

Once I use the transfer kit can I use it to transfer files with different hard drives or is it a one time use for two hard drives?

Ive been having a major problem with my Xbox live over the last few days, right now in CoD4 I at times can play without problems but have yet to be able to join a party, whenever I attempted to I would get disconnected from XBL and have to restart my modem to get back on. In Halo I would randomly get kicked off/disconneted from XBL. Seems every game I just cant play reliabley. Anyone ever have a similar issue? I know its not my xbox because I have tooken my xbox to a friends house using the exact same cord and had no problems. My ISP is sending someone out next week but maybe someone here knows a solution?

WOW. WTF. I got my Box back after I sent it in for RROD. Of course this one is fucked up too. I can consistently freeze my box up. I just turn it on, go to my friends list, try to exit out, and voila, freeze. WTF MICROSOFT. I've been extremely happy with the 360 until one. I sent my box in for a REPAIR not a piece of hardware that works worse than what I used to have!

I wonder how many free live gold cards some people have racked up because of sending their units back so many times :|

[quote name='A Happy Panda']WOW. WTF. I got my Box back after I sent it in for RROD. Of course this one is fucked up too. I can consistently freeze my box up. I just turn it on, go to my friends list, try to exit out, and voila, freeze. WTF MICROSOFT. I've been extremely happy with the 360 until one. I sent my box in for a REPAIR not a piece of hardware that works worse than what I used to have![/quote]

mine freezes on the friend list about 30% of the time. most of the time it will recover from the freeze eventually. mine has never been repaired.

i think that it is a software problem, not hardware

[quote name='orntar']mine freezes on the friend list about 30% of the time. most of the time it will recover from the freeze eventually. mine has never been repaired.

i think that it is a software problem, not hardware[/quote]
Yeah, mine freezes at that spot a lot too and it has the new heatsink and was never repaired.

Yea I got a elite and that happens to me sometimes. Sometimes its so bad I have to turn the box off and turn back on, but then after that it works fine. I notice it happens when i switch games alot or if I accept a invite for a game that I don't have in. Seems like its software too but meh, I think i started having this problem after the last update either the small upate or the big one before that

Hopefully someone can get to this ASAP and help a brotha out! :)

..So my 360 is connected to Live via wired connection.
I just go turn on my 360..and I have no XBL connection? It's not picking up?? On the PC, it says the Local Area Network is connected..and it's fine. I just unplugging it and plugging it back in..um I tried repairing the connection.

Now what?

Also, my brother in law set this up for me when I had just recently moved. I find it weird that he plugged the ethernet cable from the 360 into the router. For some reason, I thought it went into the cable modem. But it was working fine for the past week & a half.

So yeah. Now what? :?:

[quote name='Slate']I have questions about transferring my Data from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD and about the Transfer kit.

It says in the transfer manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?

Once I use the transfer kit can I use it to transfer files with different hard drives or is it a one time use for two hard drives?[/quote]

Not answered.

The manual with the migration kit specifically states it's one-time use (how, I don't know) and it will only transfer 20GB to 120GB. You can still use a memory card to go back and forth between both consoles, though (say you play at two different locations).

is the 360 suppose to sound like it's on when it's charging the battery pack of the controller via cable when in actuality the 360 is OFF? It is not until I unplug the usb cable that the sound stops.

My 360 just broke down (that's #4), but this time, I am not getting the RRoD, but instead, my drive is making goofy noises, and I'm getting "unplayable disc" messages. Now, since I paid $60 at launch for the extended warranty (I think it was 2 years), and after MS extended the warranty for everyone else, I should be covered right? I would call 4-MY-XBOX right now, but I need to go to class, and those calls always take forever. I REALLY don't want my entire day ruined by this bullshit, so does anyone know if my 360 warranty covers things OTHER than the RRoD? I have honestly considered giving up on gaming forever after this.

Call 1 800 4 my xbox :D

You should still be good I got the same warranty and after the tacked on months i'm good till sometime in 2008..`

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you could always try to get it to RROD on your own so its covered[/quote]

Is there an easy way to do that? I'm in the same situation?

You're covered. I have the 2-year extended warranty, and it's good till sometime in 2009. They gave you the extra year (but I don't believe we get 5 years for the RRoD - that being the 2 we purchased, plus the 3 MS is offering). Could be wrong, though.

I think MS is starting to crack down on forceful RRoD vs actual normal RRoD and could screw you over. Just becareful about force RRoD cause you might just get the same unit back.

[quote name='lilboo']Hopefully someone can get to this ASAP and help a brotha out! :)

..So my 360 is connected to Live via wired connection.
I just go turn on my 360..and I have no XBL connection? It's not picking up?? On the PC, it says the Local Area Network is connected..and it's fine. I just unplugging it and plugging it back in..um I tried repairing the connection.

Now what?

Also, my brother in law set this up for me when I had just recently moved. I find it weird that he plugged the ethernet cable from the 360 into the router. For some reason, I thought it went into the cable modem. But it was working fine for the past week & a half.

So yeah. Now what? :?:[/quote]

On the router it should be a spot thats says internet/cable or WAN and u plug your cable internet into there and then it should be 4 ports spots labeled 1-4 you use that to plug in your computer and xbox 360. Now sometimes cable modems and routers don't act right so unplug everything turn on ur modem first wait for it to cycle thru its POST stuff then when ur all green plug in ur router and wait (it has to get the ip from the modem) then plug in ur pc and xbox and wait and u should be ok.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The manual with the migration kit specifically states it's one-time use (how, I don't know) and it will only transfer 20GB to 120GB. You can still use a memory card to go back and forth between both consoles, though (say you play at two different locations).[/quote]

[quote name='Aku']This should help clear things up.

^^ They pretty much sum it up nicely.[/quote]

Well thank you but I'm trying to find out if the kit will work with other hard drives after you use it and this doesn't answer my question.

[quote name='orntar']mine freezes on the friend list about 30% of the time. most of the time it will recover from the freeze eventually. mine has never been repaired.

i think that it is a software problem, not hardware[/QUOTE]

Software? Educate me. I'm just wondering why MS would send me a box that functions worse than my original one before the RROD.

It seriously hinders my enjoyment of the console. Part of my routine is booting it up, looking at my friends list and seeing what they're playing. If they're playing something that interests me, I'll most likely pop that game in and try to join up with them. Now I can't do it until I actually put in a game disc, even then when I use the friends list, it sometimes freezes up. Hella dumb. I'm going to call MS again and let them know what's up.

[quote name='ITDEFX']is the 360 suppose to sound like it's on when it's charging the battery pack of the controller via cable when in actuality the 360 is OFF? It is not until I unplug the usb cable that the sound stops.[/quote]

Yep, I guess it keeps the fan running as there is still power going through the 360.

I don't like leaving mine in that state, I usually leave the 360 on at the dashboard if I'm charging a controller, so I don't forget about it.

Probably a bit paranoid but I have a 20 month old 360 so am expecting the RROD anytime. :)

Hey, I remember someone here got flamed for taking about pirating. Someone said "We are CHEAPassgamer, not PIRATEassgamer" or something like that. How is that any different than forcing a RROD. That's illegal ain't it?

[quote name='ITDEFX']is the 360 suppose to sound like it's on when it's charging the battery pack of the controller via cable when in actuality the 360 is OFF? It is not until I unplug the usb cable that the sound stops.[/quote]If you leave your computer on, I suggest plugging it into a USB port to charge to save some wear and tear on your 360.

[quote name='shaveice']Hey, I remember someone here got flamed for taking about pirating. Someone said "We are CHEAPassgamer, not PIRATEassgamer" or something like that. How is that any different than forcing a RROD. That's illegal ain't it?[/QUOTE]

86te1b8.gif

"Extreme situations...require extreme measures."

Okay I have an important question regarding the HD settings - I just got my new replacement 360 today and was setting it up, and I accidentally changed the HD settings to 1080i instead of 720 but I must've pressed something accidentally because it stayed black instead of going back to the menu where you choose the settings. Then I tried turning it on again and it hasn't worked. It works on the non-HD components though, but not on any sort of HD anymore. Please help with this. I already tried changing the settings on non-HD to 720 but nothing happened. Thanks

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Okay I have an important question regarding the HD settings - I just got my new replacement 360 today and was setting it up, and I accidentally changed the HD settings to 1080i instead of 720 but I must've pressed something accidentally because it stayed black instead of going back to the menu where you choose the settings. Then I tried turning it on again and it hasn't worked. It works on the non-HD components though, but not on any sort of HD anymore. Please help with this. I already tried changing the settings on non-HD to 720 but nothing happened. Thanks[/QUOTE]
I had the same problem when I first got my 360 and it ended up being the the HD toggle switch on the back of the component cables.

Like I said earlier, my 360 died, for the third time. This time it's the "unplayable disc" error. Thankfully, I am still under warranty, and it's gonna be free to fix. Normally, I would be PISSED about missing all the great 360 games this month, but I'll be getting Mario Galaxy to tide me over until then.

[quote name='spoo']I had the same problem when I first got my 360 and it ended up being the the HD toggle switch on the back of the component cables.[/QUOTE]
Already tried that, did not work

[quote name='benjamouth']Yep, I guess it keeps the fan running as there is still power going through the 360.

I don't like leaving mine in that state, I usually leave the 360 on at the dashboard if I'm charging a controller, so I don't forget about it.

Probably a bit paranoid but I have a 20 month old 360 so am expecting the RROD anytime. :)[/QUOTE]

thanks for the idea!

[quote name='Slate']I have questions about transferring my Data from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD and about the Transfer kit.

Once I use the transfer kit can I use it to transfer files with different hard drives or is it a one time use for two hard drives?[/quote]

People have answered it already but they just linked me to Xbox.com and I want to hear it from someone who has actually tried it.

i just ordered a halo 3 edition xbox 360 and i read somewhere that they had the new falcon chipsets.

is that true?

[quote name='homy007']i just ordered a halo 3 edition xbox 360 and i read somewhere that they had the new falcon chipsets.

is that true?[/QUOTE]

Some do, some don't.

I posted this in the GH3 forum, but maybe someone here can help me understand what on earth is going on. This doesn't seem like even typical behavior for if my 360 was approaching death...

---
So, I'm having some pretty major issues here. When I start up the game it seems to take a little bit to get going, but when I click the "Press any button to rock" it sits there for like 1 minute+ before brining up the HDD to pick my storage device.

Then, the first time it will save, it'll take about a minute as well. After that, my theme for my friends list stuff is reset (I have a darker one set than the default). My gamerpic is gone, my gamerscore is at 0, etc. Yet, I'm still online because my friends list and messages still work.

While like that saving seems fine. And if I sign out of Xbox Live and sign back in things behave fairly normally (though saving still takes longer than it really should).

Anyone have any issues like this with GH3 or any other game? Any thoughts?
---

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back