XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody help me. I just got my HD for my 360 and tried to connect it to XBL but I cant. I've tried everythind on the xbox site and even called them and I still get stuck were it says IP Adress.

Has anybody else had this problem? Can you help me out?​

There is no noticable difference as far as I can tell.
The only case I would suggest monster cables in is if you are a die hard Audio and Video man that needs every spec of quality he can get from cables and needs a lot of shielding.

Case in point: They're a huge ripoff.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I wasn't finding anything from a forum search....

How do I update my Xbox Live Rep from 3 stars to 5? I used Xbox Live Silver for the first two years I had my system. When I finally bought an Xbox Live Gold account, I expected the three stars to automatically jump to five, but they didn't, and my stars have not changed even after playing several matches of Gears of War/Halo 3 online...any ideas on how I can get this to update? I don't want people thinking I am an idiot on XBL....thanks for any info you may have.

I am not sure how this works but I believe you just need a few people to give you a good review. It's basically based, I believe, on how people review you. If people don't review you, it won't change.

Yeah Monsters are terrible. I dropped $70 on a PS2 component cable (before I did my research) and it broke (one of the connections on the video went out) so I sent it back. My new one broke again, by way of the same thing. I will never, ever buy another Monster Cable again.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with people reviewing you like thrustbucket said. I had 3 stars forever and then just the other day it jumped up to 5, which was right after some guy I had played in worms sent a friend request, so I think he gave me a good review or something.

It might go up just after playing online for a while without getting a negative review, but I'm not sure.

It's definitely about people reviewing you.

The nice part is, though, it doesn't seem to take much. Had 3 stars, played about 3-4 hours of R6V, and ended up with 4 1/2 stars by the end, with only encountering 2 or 3 different rooms of people.

I ordered a 2nd Power Brick off eBay. It powers up fine on its own. However the plug DOES NOT fit into the 360. How can this be? I know the one that came with my system has the 2 buttons u need to press to get to lock it into the system, and this one does not. Why wouldn't a genuine 360 power brick not fit a XBOX 360??? Help!

[quote name='chillot']I ordered a 2nd Power Brick off eBay. It powers up fine on its own. However the plug DOES NOT fit into the 360. How can this be? I know the one that came with my system has the 2 buttons u need to press to get to lock it into the system, and this one does not. Why wouldn't a genuine 360 power brick not fit a XBOX 360??? Help![/quote]The newer ones may not have those two release tabs on the cord anymore. My Elite just plugs straight in, while my Pro has the buttons.

Quick question because don't want to go through all 73 pages. What do I need to do or get, to play my 360 off my laptop screen?

[quote name='chillot']Just curious if any CAGs are using these, and do you see a big difference from the stock M$ ones? :roll:[/QUOTE]

I snagged some Monsters for pretty cheap (cheaper than MS ones at normal retail). I thought they were slightly better but only if you can find them for a good deal (eBay)

Hoping you guys can help me...

I just got my Xbox a few days ago, started my month logn trial of Gold. I had/have however, some 12 month LIVE subscription cards fromt he camera packs at TRU... I had one pack opened already and wanted to go ahead and put the card # in before I misplaced it. I put it in... and... bam... it took away my 1 month trial and now my membership ends in a year :p

I emailed XBox about it... asking if I could get my free month back, and asking if it was safe to enter other card numbers - because the box the camera bundle comes in specificallys ays you can stack up to 36 months. Well they said they couldn;t help me and I'd have to call...

It's not worth a free month of XBL to me, to have to call India and try to explain the problem to someone who never deviates from the script MS has given them...

I am wondering if it's safe for me to enter the other XBL Subscription card #'s I have? They expire in June, so if I can't stack them then I need to return them to TRU. I'm thinking the free month trial might have been a special circumstance, and regular subscriptions WOULD stack, but now I'm afraid to try...

[quote name='PleasantOne']Hoping you guys can help me...

I just got my Xbox a few days ago, started my month logn trial of Gold. I had/have however, some 12 month LIVE subscription cards fromt he camera packs at TRU... I had one pack opened already and wanted to go ahead and put the card # in before I misplaced it. I put it in... and... bam... it took away my 1 month trial and now my membership ends in a year :p

I emailed XBox about it... asking if I could get my free month back, and asking if it was safe to enter other card numbers - because the box the camera bundle comes in specificallys ays you can stack up to 36 months. Well they said they couldn;t help me and I'd have to call...

It's not worth a free month of XBL to me, to have to call India and try to explain the problem to someone who never deviates from the script MS has given them...

I am wondering if it's safe for me to enter the other XBL Subscription card #'s I have? They expire in June, so if I can't stack them then I need to return them to TRU. I'm thinking the free month trial might have been a special circumstance, and regular subscriptions WOULD stack, but now I'm afraid to try...[/QUOTE]

Cards stack, but up to only so far in advance.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Hoping you guys can help me...

I am wondering if it's safe for me to enter the other XBL Subscription card #'s I have? They expire in June, so if I can't stack them then I need to return them to TRU. I'm thinking the free month trial might have been a special circumstance, and regular subscriptions WOULD stack, but now I'm afraid to try...[/quote]

The cards definitely stack. Where are you seeing that it ends in a year? If you look on xbox.com, it will just list the most recent thing you put in as your current membership status. So you could still have the trial 1 month tacked on.

Most games i play on my 360 have really small text. Like right now im playing dead rising and even on my 42inch I cant read half of what is being said because the text comes up horribly small. Anyone know how to fix this? My neighbor is having the same problem, and someone at another board said they thought it had something to do with being in 480i settings.

[quote name='dealer']The cards definitely stack. Where are you seeing that it ends in a year? If you look on xbox.com, it will just list the most recent thing you put in as your current membership status. So you could still have the trial 1 month tacked on.[/quote]

Well nevermind... I just checked again and now it seems correct :applause:

[quote name='MSI Magus']Most games i play on my 360 have really small text. Like right now im playing dead rising and even on my 42inch I cant read half of what is being said because the text comes up horribly small. Anyone know how to fix this? My neighbor is having the same problem, and someone at another board said they thought it had something to do with being in 480i settings.[/QUOTE]

Same, though I have a normal standard TV. I am hoping in getting an HDTV soon...but is there any way to fix this...I mean I was trying to play one of the XNA games today (the puzzle tile one from Brazil) and I just could not read what all the powerups were for.

After about a month of owning my 360, there's a few things that I'd like to know whether I can actually do it or not, and if so, how?

-Eject the game disc with the controller. I can close the disc tray if it's open, but I don't see any way to eject them with just the controller.

-Is there any way to view ALL free items on the marketplace? I see a very limited section in the Spotlight section of the marketplace, but I don't want to go through every item in the marketplace to find out what gamerpics, themes, and whatever else are free.

-I noticed that my monoprice HDMI-to-DVi cable doesn't fit nicely with the composite/component cable, so I can't have any audio if I want to play games in HD. I was wondering if there's a specific extension cable on monoprice that anybody's bought and knows will fit nice and snug with the AV cables? I see these ones that could fit the bill, but I'm wondering if anyone's actually bought them or not.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']After about a month of owning my 360, there's a few things that I'd like to know whether I can actually do it or not, and if so, how?

-I noticed that my monoprice HDMI-to-DVi cable doesn't fit nicely with the composite/component cable, so I can't have any audio if I want to play games in HD. I was wondering if there's a specific extension cable on monoprice that anybody's bought and knows will fit nice and snug with the AV cables? I see these ones that could fit the bill, but I'm wondering if anyone's actually bought them or not.[/quote]

I have the cable extensions you're looking at from monoprice. I use them to avoid strain on my HDMI connections on the back of my TV.. probably not necessary in my case, but they make it easy to disconnect without wearing out the TV's connectors.

It fits my cables like gloves (both of them... PS3/360). I have the Elite, and I don't use the MS provided cable because it fits horribly loose and doesn't feel solid at all... so my spare monoprice HDMI cable (that I bought when I got my PS3) is in my Elite as well...

[quote name='Mechafenris']I have the cable extensions you're looking at from monoprice. I use them to avoid strain on my HDMI connections on the back of my TV.. probably not necessary in my case, but they make it easy to disconnect without wearing out the TV's connectors.

It fits my cables like gloves (both of them... PS3/360). I have the Elite, and I don't use the MS provided cable because it fits horribly loose and doesn't feel solid at all... so my spare monoprice HDMI cable (that I bought when I got my PS3) is in my Elite as well...[/quote]
That's good to hear, so I'll go order them now. Thanks for the quick answer.

Is the sound card for movies different than the one for games? Every time I play a game the sound cuts in and out every 30 seconds - it is making me mental. It does not happen at all with movies. WTF???

[quote name='janglypangly']I have a 50" tv that does 720p/1080i, which one should I use?[/QUOTE]

I use 720p. 1080i will just get scaled down to 720p anyway.

If I use the code from a 12 month card before my current subscription expires, will I get an extension or will I lose my previous subscription and the new one starts?

I dont know if this has been answered already but, if I buy a headset, would sound other than voices come out of the headset? I mean the normal sounds of the game that come out of your tv's speakers.

Question for you guys. My 360 just red-ringed on me recently. So im thinking of trading in to eb and getting another but keeping my Hard drive. Is the whole DRM thing that big of a pain in the ass where No dl'ed content will work offline? Thanks

bill123

[quote name='strdr4']If I use the code from a 12 month card before my current subscription expires, will I get an extension or will I lose my previous subscription and the new one starts?[/quote]

It stacks, so you won't lose anything.

[quote name='machoman_93']I dont know if this has been answered already but, if I buy a headset, would sound other than voices come out of the headset? I mean the normal sounds of the game that come out of your tv's speakers.[/quote]

Normal sound still comes out of the TV, you only get voice through the headset.

[quote name='bill123']Question for you guys. My 360 just red-ringed on me recently. So im thinking of trading in to eb and getting another but keeping my Hard drive. Is the whole DRM thing that big of a pain in the ass where No dl'ed content will work offline? Thanks

bill123[/quote]

Yes, it is. If you switch the HD to another system, you'll only be able to access your DL'd content when you're online.

I have some questions I hope you guys can answer.

I am really interested in getting a 360. I want to get one this week and will most likely get the Pro, but I have some questions before I do. Are the ones in stores now still likely to RROD? If so, what goes on when that happens? Do I lose all my saves, DLC, etc? I am sort of confused on what the hell goes on. I really don't want to lose all my save data.

Should I get the Arcade bundle and put in a harddrive? Would that be cheaper to do?

Should I get a 360 now or wait until the summer (maybe for a new bundle, price drop, etc)? I have missed out on a lot of games and want to get a system, but don't want to buy one if a better one comes out in the next or two.

Are the communities for games still going strong? Like will Halo 3 still be going on for a couple years? Do most new games tend to last a long time on XBL?

Concerning online play, my modem is in my basement (I'm on the 2nd floor of the house, using wireless). I know you need to buy a seperate adapter to get online but would I be able to get online by connectiing some sort of wires to the back of the system to my computer in my room, or will I be forced to buy something else to get online?

Sorry if that's alot of questions. Thanks.

[quote name='Blackout542']I have some questions I hope you guys can answer.

I am really interested in getting a 360. I want to get one this week and will most likely get the Pro, but I have some questions before I do. Are the ones in stores now still likely to RROD? If so, what goes on when that happens? Do I lose all my saves, DLC, etc? I am sort of confused on what the hell goes on. I really don't want to lose all my save data.

Should I get the Arcade bundle and put in a harddrive? Would that be cheaper to do?

Should I get a 360 now or wait until the summer (maybe for a new bundle, price drop, etc)? I have missed out on a lot of games and want to get a system, but don't want to buy one if a better one comes out in the next or two.

Are the communities for games still going strong? Like will Halo 3 still be going on for a couple years? Do most new games tend to last a long time on XBL?

Concerning online play, my modem is in my basement (I'm on the 2nd floor of the house, using wireless). I know you need to buy a seperate adapter to get online but would I be able to get online by connectiing some sort of wires to the back of the system to my computer in my room, or will I be forced to buy something else to get online?

Sorry if that's alot of questions. Thanks.[/quote]

As far as RROD goes, you don't lose anything on your hard drive, you only have to replace the system. Most 360s now though should be RROD free. It's really not a huge deal, it's just that you have to wait a month for the replacement 360 if it happens.

Buy a pro. And yes the communities are still strong and will be strong until the sequels comes out - and even then they should still be good. (Most people, including myself, would probably recommend COD4 over Halo 3 for multiplayer though)

For your connection you can connect an ethernet cable from your 360 to the computer in your room. That is exactly what I'm doing because it's a lot cheaper than buying a wireless 360 adapter. There is one setting you might have to turn on on your computer though to enable the connection.

I'll answer what I can:

Should you happen to get a RROD and send it into MS, you keep your HDD so your saves and downloads stay intact. The only problem is if they send you back a different system than the one you send in. In that case, for your downloaded games to work, you will need to be signed onto Live. MS may offer instead to send you points so you can redownload them onto the new system for offline play.

If you buy the warranty in the store, though, you'll likely lose your game saves as I'd guess they won't let you swap out HDDs.

I'd just buy the Pro SKU, unless you can find a used HDD cheap somewhere.

Last I checked, there's still a good group of people still playing Halo 2 so I imagine the staying power of 3 will be just as good. Games like COD4 seem to be staying strong in the rotation for most people, too. If you're looking to play with CAGs, though, it's been my experience that, for the most part, they tend to move onto the next game pretty quickly. You'll always be able to find a few people to play with though.

I think Windows has an Internet Connection Sharing setting. I've read some people use their laptops to do the same thing. I can't attest to how good the connection/lag will be while using ICS.

[quote name='Blackout542']I have some questions I hope you guys can answer.

Sorry if that's alot of questions. Thanks.[/quote]

If your router is in the basement, the only way to connect your 360 by cables is to the router, if not, you need the wi-fi adapter.

Halo 3 is still the most played game online alongside Call of Duty 4... I assume these games will go strong until the next installments, although Gears of War 2 will take some of that audience.

Just get an Elite (or Pro if you really have to)... at Best Buy and pay for the protection plan, that way, if you system RROD's you can bring it back for a new one and they will let you switch the hard drives so you can keep your old one, eliminating not being able to play arcade games offline (something I don't understand why people care... my 360 is always logged into Live)

that's my suggestion...worked great for me.

EDIT:

Apparently I am not aware you don't need to hook the 360 directly into a router, didn't think that was possible...

I'm having connection issues.
It's not passing on "IP address"
What can I do? This is driving me crazy with this bullshit.

Can someone respond soo? I just got the HD DVD player and it needs to be updated in order for it to be installed...and I cant even fucking connect!

Saturday night, I took my 360 to my friend's house and a bunch of us played Gears of War. While playing, one of my friends wanted to get it off the carpet just incase something fell and put it on the table. Now, you obviously aren't supposed to move the 360 console with the game still playing, so when he did that, the disc drive made the BRRRR noise. Anyhow, it was only for like 1-2 seconds. We continued playing throughout the night and it didn't have any problems. When I brought the 360 back to my house, I booted it up to play CoD4 and I noticed that whenever I play a game, there's a high-pitched beeping sound that comes from the back of the console. It's not loud, but it's faint. This beeping sound doesn't happen whenever I go to the dashboard or w/e, it seems to only make the sound when I boot up a game. Is there any way I can fix this? The Disc Drive seems to work fine. However, now, whenever I move my 360 from vertical to horizontal mode (with a game still playing), it adjusts fine. It doesn't like make a BRRR sound or anything.

[quote name='ihadFG']As far as RROD goes, you don't lose anything on your hard drive, you only have to replace the system. Most 360s now though should be RROD free. It's really not a huge deal, it's just that you have to wait a month for the replacement 360 if it happens.

Buy a pro. And yes the communities are still strong and will be strong until the sequels comes out - and even then they should still be good. (Most people, including myself, would probably recommend COD4 over Halo 3 for multiplayer though)

For your connection you can connect an ethernet cable from your 360 to the computer in your room. That is exactly what I'm doing because it's a lot cheaper than buying a wireless 360 adapter. There is one setting you might have to turn on on your computer though to enable the connection.[/quote]

Yeah I already have COD4 on PS3, so I would probably pick up Halo instead. How is Gears of War? Is the online dead for that?

How much does it cost to go the ethernet cable route? Is it easy to hook up?

[quote name='lilboo']I'm having connection issues.
It's not passing on "IP address"
What can I do? This is driving me crazy with this bullshit.

Can someone respond soo? I just got the HD DVD player and it needs to be updated in order for it to be installed...and I cant even fucking connect![/quote]
Check this thread (which needs to be stickied).

[quote name='janglypangly']Can anyone link me to the best value hdmi cable? I'm looking for one that's less than $10. Thanks in advance![/quote]monoprice.com. I'd link, but I'm too tired. I'm sure you can find what you need there.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Saturday night, I took my 360 to my friend's house and a bunch of us played Gears of War. While playing, one of my friends wanted to get it off the carpet just incase something fell and put it on the table. Now, you obviously aren't supposed to move the 360 console with the game still playing, so when he did that, the disc drive made the BRRRR noise. Anyhow, it was only for like 1-2 seconds. We continued playing throughout the night and it didn't have any problems. When I brought the 360 back to my house, I booted it up to play CoD4 and I noticed that whenever I play a game, there's a high-pitched beeping sound that comes from the back of the console. It's not loud, but it's faint. This beeping sound doesn't happen whenever I go to the dashboard or w/e, it seems to only make the sound when I boot up a game. Is there any way I can fix this? The Disc Drive seems to work fine. However, now, whenever I move my 360 from vertical to horizontal mode (with a game still playing), it adjusts fine. It doesn't like make a BRRR sound or anything.[/quote]

You shouldn't ever have it on a carpet. That, and moving it around with a game inside is only asking for trouble.

Both of these things will almost certainly destroy your Xbox 360, at some point in its life.

I know I would need to use a VGA cable to get DVD's to upscale to 1080p (don't have the HDMI connection on my xbox) but would I also need the HD-DVD drive? I'm trying to find a definitive answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back