XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just got the HDMI Pro unit, and I was wondering if a monoprice.com HDMI cable will work or does he have to get the Microsoft one? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Blackout542']Yeah I already have COD4 on PS3, so I would probably pick up Halo instead. How is Gears of War? Is the online dead for that?

How much does it cost to go the ethernet cable route? Is it easy to hook up?[/quote]

Its very cheap to go through the ethernet cable. You just connect one side to the 360 and the other to the router. It costs about $20 shipped for 100 ft and about $15 shipped for 50 ft. I recommend the 100 ft, even though you might not need all of it, $5 more gets you twice the length.

I recommend you get Gears of War. Its a great game with great online. However it'll probably die down near the end of the year when Gears of War 2 comes out.

[quote name='machoman_93']Its very cheap to go through the ethernet cable. You just connect one side to the 360 and the other to the router. It costs about $20 shipped for 100 ft and about $15 shipped for 50 ft. I recommend the 100 ft, even though you might not need all of it, $5 more gets you twice the length.

I recommend you get Gears of War. Its a great game with great online. However it'll probably die down near the end of the year when Gears of War 2 comes out.[/quote]

There's no way to put it through your computer? My router is all in the basement so it might be a pain to get it going. I'm dumb when it comes to these things.

Long thread and the FAQ's is missing but a quick question

If you send in your 360 for repairs due to disc drive failure do you tend to get back the same system or do they tend to send back a different one? Since I have a fair amount of online content downloaded I was concerned about not being access it offline if they sent a different machine.

[quote name='Blackout542']There's no way to put it through your computer? My router is all in the basement so it might be a pain to get it going. I'm dumb when it comes to these things.[/quote]

If you have two ethernet ports on your computer, you can attach the 360 directly to the computer with no problems. If you only have one, you would have to disconnect your Internet, which probably wouldn't work for you (since you are wanting to play online).

Assuming you can't just plug it into your router, you can pick up a PCI ethernet port for the computer for $10 or so, and they are really easy to install.

Hey, sorry if this has been addressed before but I am waiting for my RROD xbox to come back and wanted to play online, so I bought a couple of pc games but when I try to log on I keep getting an error. Are these 2 totally different subscriptions? Or am I just having bad luck?
Thanks in advance, Dubz

Ugh. So I have the hdmi hooked up, and then the L/R article through the basic component/composite adapter. The dashboard and games have sound, but when I try to play DVD's it doesn't. Anyone know why?

Someone mentioned something in a thread that provoked this question: Is there a difference in performance, and, subsequently Red Ring of Death prevention, in having one's 360 vertically or horizontally?

*takes out pad to take notes*

Thanks in advance to who ever answers. ^_^

The consensus is that it's better to keep the 360 horizontal. Don't put it on carpet -- make sure all of the vents are getting their circulation.

Yep, though vertical's downside isn't more likely RROD, just that it's more likely to scratch discs.

For RROD all you can do is make sure it is well ventilated (i.e. has a lot of room) in the sides, back and top where all the vent wholes/fan exhaust is. I suppose you could put a little fan blowing on it when it's on, but that's too much hassle for me.

Also, keep your room a reasonable temp. If you don't have AC and it's 90+ in your house in the summer, the 360 is going to get MUCH hotter than it would if you had the AC set at 70-75 etc.

Will USB cameras other than the Vision Cam work on the 360? I assume they won't, but I just got an old Logitech USB webcam from a friend and I'm curious. I'd try it myself but my 360 is currently in its coffin on the way to meet its maker.

[quote name='garfep']Will USB cameras other than the Vision Cam work on the 360? I assume they won't, but I just got an old Logitech USB webcam from a friend and I'm curious. I'd try it myself but my 360 is currently in its coffin on the way to meet its maker.[/quote]

I just tried with my crappy labtec and nope.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Also, keep your room a reasonable temp. If you don't have AC and it's 90+ in your house in the summer, the 360 is going to get MUCH hotter than it would if you had the AC set at 70-75 etc.[/quote]

If it's 90+ degrees in your house, the 360 red-ringing is the least of your problems. Trade it in and get a window AC unit for God's sake!

Is it generally okay to turn the system off with a game still in the tray and come back to it later? I don't myself, but I know a lot of people who do. I always thought you ran the potential of messing the disc/drive up by doing this.

Anyone know one way or the other?

[quote name='Tybee']If it's 90+ degrees in your house, the 360 red-ringing is the least of your problems. Trade it in and get a window AC unit for God's sake![/quote]
Yeah i would also say that the room temperature is rather insignificant for the system to operate properly. I mean.. If the 360 has room to breathe, and the sun doesn't shine on it directly then i cant really see anymore precautions to take. (Other than the carpet thing)

[quote name='BernardB89']What is e 68? I got that error just yesterday.[/QUOTE]

E68: Voltage Error... This error means that the Xbox 360 has insufficent power to function properly. This can be caused by an error in the hard drive or the fans that make them suck up too much power, it can also be caused if you have unnecessary accessories attached to the console like an external fan unit. Attempt to remove unnecessary accessories first, and then necessary components such as the hard drive and USB devices. If you have any case mods you may want to investigate those as well.

will the wi-fi adapter pick up any open signal without having the software installed on a pc? ie, if you just plug in and set up wi-fi adapter will it be ready to go after you just set it up on the 360? just want to know before i plunk down a good chunk of change on it.

I am thinking of buying a 360, and I have a few questions.

Does the elite have built in wifi? Are the anything special I should look for when buying.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Is it generally okay to turn the system off with a game still in the tray and come back to it later? I don't myself, but I know a lot of people who do. I always thought you ran the potential of messing the disc/drive up by doing this.

Anyone know one way or the other?[/quote]

The only problems I have heard coming from this were people that moved the console with a game still inside. I wouldn't see it hurting the console just sitting in the tray.

I usually keep a game in my console. But I also never move my console.

[quote name='TomCloud9']I am thinking of buying a 360, and I have a few questions.

Does the elite have built in wifi? Are the anything special I should look for when buying.[/quote]

No, the wifi "network adapter" cost an extra $100.

So is there a reason why i keep on getting "Your credit card information is not valid. Please verify and try again." when i clearly have a valid card....

Quick question to anyone who uses VGA connection.

I am running out of component connect on my TV and do not have an HDMI 360. If I hook the console up through the VGA cord, will it still be able to output in 1080p? The back of the VGA box says that the only supported resolution is 720p.

Also, is there any image quality downgrade if going from component to VGA ?

[quote name='lilboo']I just put in 3 games.
All came up as "Unplayable Discs"
Do I need to call India? :cry:[/quote]

Most likely yes.

First of all, has the XBOX360 been able to play these 3 games before? If not, are they dirty or scratched? Actually come to think of it, either way, you would most likely need to call them. I've only had this issue with OXM discs in the past.

[quote name='lilboo']I just put in 3 games.
All came up as "Unplayable Discs"
Do I need to call India? :cry:[/quote]

Yup... that's what mine did. And the first replacement I received.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Most likely yes.

First of all, has the XBOX360 been able to play these 3 games before? If not, are they dirty or scratched? Actually come to think of it, either way, you would most likely need to call them. I've only had this issue with OXM discs in the past.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sp00ge']Yup... that's what mine did. And the first replacement I received.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, DDR 2, Overlord and Mass Effect have been getting playtime everyday from one of us here.

But the good news, it's working again. I opened & closed the tray really quick (as in I hit it open and closed before it even open) and it began to read the discs. It also works when I turn on the 360. It hasnt messed up since. SO MAYBE, JUST MAYBE (and I'm being EXTREMELY optimistic right now) it was just a fluke and everything will be fine.

For some reason when I open my 360 tray after I'm done playing a game the disc sometimes spins as the tray is opening. My old 360 never did this; my cousin's 360 and mine does this, however. What the hell is going on? It's scratching my discs. :bomb:

For some reason only while playing Halo 3 my controller likes to shut itself off for no apparent reason. This can be quite frustrating since it typically gets me killed.

Just curious if anyone else is having a similar problem as I am. I've changed the batteries to some brand new ones but the same thing still happens. Any advice would be helpful.

Damn, I was gonna say change the batteries....but guess that's out. Never had that happen to me personally. Is it only Halo 3? Cause I mean if it is just with that game, then should the problem not be the game and not the controller?

Something might cause this outage...since the controller works with other games that is. Any specific moments it turns off? Multiplayer, solo, campaign, only online?

I sent my 360 in because of RRoD. When I got it back, my warranty was extended by 3 months. Is this only for the RRoD Warranty or all? For example, if my disc drive breaks down, can I send it back for warranty?

I've just been playing multilayer at the moment and I'm sitting almost as close as possible with out anything blocking it. I went back to the wired controller and everything works fine. Eh

I've had that happen to me as well. It happend quite often in Halo 3 and only once in COD 4. I've never had it happen in another game.

dont know how to word these Q's but ill try my best :
are arcade games and DLC attached to the GT that XBL was signed on with?

Is there a reason why XBL dashboard isn't loading? the router is less then 20 feet from the conceal,yet the dashboard dosn't load at all.

I think my falcon 360 I got 2 month ago is starting to give me problems. It's giving me disc read errors (DRE) when I play Rock Band or Halo 3 (haven't tested others yet). I can get about 3 minutes to around a hour before it gives me the DRE message. This sucks, because Rock Band in on 360 and it's a relatively new falcon 360.

Edit: Now it works again...

Happened to me in Halo 3 for a while, I tried some "used batteries" and it still happened, finally got some lithium energizer batteries and it never happened again. Now I just use a play and charge kit.

I have the same problem from time to time (when it happens, it happens quite a bit over the course of the gaming session), but don't think its battery related, as the controller doesn't turn off. I just get a blinking light in the "controller 1" segment on the controller. Once I hold down the "X" it syncs back up, but it does take 15 seconds or so to complete. Its almost as if something is interfering with the wireless connection, or the problem is due to the 360 its self.

Regardless, it is very, very, very frustrating.

Okay, so I have some questions about my crazy 360. I've had the 3 red rings since I've opened the box, and its been 5 months later but my 360 hasn't completely died yet. As long as I let it run for a couple minutes with the 3 red rings and then do a restart, my 360 will work fine. Can anyone explain this phenomena?

Secondly, my 360 doesn't work unless my TV is on. If I turn on the 360 while the TV is off I only get a green power light, but once I turn on the TV I get the green rings. Does anyone else have this problem?

A friend told me a store has a Pro 360 that someone returned going for $200. It has everything included ( not sure about the free one month online). Now, this seems like a sweet deal, and I might just pick it up today if the store still has it. If the system red rings, or whatever might happen, will Microsoft or the store give me a new 360 free of charge? My friend told me it has the same warrenty as an unopened 360.

Is there a way to switch between the HDMI and composite video connections in the settings menu? I want to watch streamed video through the TV instead of my monitor without having to completely remove my HDMI cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back