Xenoblade Chronicles X Special Edition $89.99 - Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why these are going out of stock so quickly?  I've been preordering Xeno games to secure preorder bonuses since Xenosaga, and I've never seen anything similar.  Are they just not allotting many of the special edition to each store, or is there massive demand?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why these are going out of stock so quickly? I've been preordering Xeno games to secure preorder bonuses since Xenosaga, and I've never seen anything similar. Are they just not allotting many of the special edition to each store, or is there massive demand?
Because people know they can resell it for double because a lot of collectors have deep pockets.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why these are going out of stock so quickly? I've been preordering Xeno games to secure preorder bonuses since Xenosaga, and I've never seen anything similar. Are they just not allotting many of the special edition to each store, or is there massive demand?
It's the first (low allottment). Don't expect Nintendo to make massive quantities of special or collectors editions these days. Your comparing to Xenosaga, that was a long time ago where video game companies massively overproduce on everything. Now it's different, especially with Nintendo who likes to limit supply to create hype. Seems like other companies are following suit this year with the rarity of many CEs we see this year.

People are complaining it sold out so fast? It was up for nearly half the day. I managed to order another one my first being off amazon. Ill probably be able to get a third off best buy. Nobody to blame but yourself if your too slow.

People are complaining it sold out so fast? It was up for nearly half the day. I managed to order another one my first being off amazon. Ill probably be able to get a third off best buy. Nobody to blame but yourself if your too slow.
To be fair, many on here still have not caught on with how quick most CEs sellout these days. People are still expecting you'll be able to preorder anytime you want like a few years ago. Heck I saw multiple people on CAG yesterday mentioning they will wait for the MGS V CE to go on clearance to pick it up when it was up at Bestbuy yesterday. The fact that they think these will even come close hitting the clearance rack kinda shows how out of touch with reality some are on here.

It's the first (low allottment). Don't expect Nintendo to make massive quantities of special or collectors editions these days. Your comparing to Xenosaga, that was a long time ago where video game companies massively overproduce on everything. Now it's different, especially with Nintendo who likes to limit supply to create hype. Seems like other companies are following suit this year with the rarity of many CEs we see this year.
Well the amount of CE that is available is based on what is ordered by the retailers. Retailers are only ordering certain amount of CE that they know will sell. Retailers don't want to be stuck with excess bulky CE like the previous gen where they have to regularly discount them just to clear stock or space. Most CE are not even sold in-store anymore because of this reason. Stores are just not ordering that much CE anymore. That determines how much products get produced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing this out there ...

I think it is really funny that the people dogging this special edition are still hanging around this thread. 

Like, you say the thing sucks, and then stick around and shoot the shit with everyone and when you just flamed people for getting it. 

I don't get it. I really don't. I mean, we're on page 23? and you're still here? 

Because people know they can resell it for double because a lot of collectors have deep pockets.
And because, as Nintendo has proven time and time again, they are laughably incompetent when it comes to calculating production numbers.

You can't be fucking serious? Because it was up for half a day then fuck you if you can't get one?

Believe it or not a lot of us don't live in front of a computer 24/7. By the time I learned this even existed it was OoS and by the time I heard it was on Gamestop it was OoS. But because I haven't dedicated my entire existence to Nintendo it's my fault for missing it.

I swear, some of you fanboys......

Production number is based on what retailers are ordering. The concept is not really that hard to follow.
Then you should know that retailers would order more if they were available. Amazon in particular pushes for restocks on stuff like this all the time.... whether or not they get it is up to Nintendo.

I can't speak to Gamestop but I'm sure their company is the same way.

Last edited:
Then you should know that retailers would order more if they were available. Amazon in particular pushes for restocks on stuff like this all the time.... whether or not they get it is up to Nintendo.

I can't speak to Gamestop but I'm sure their company is the same way.
No, some products are produced on what was ordered by the retailers in the first place. There will be more available soon from different retailers.

I'll put this out there ... if you're an awesome CAGer and BB gets it's PO up, and I get one, I will gladly sell my GS PO at cost + shipping. PM me whenever that happens. 

No, some products are produced on what was ordered by the retailers in the first place. There will be more available soon from different retailers.
It's kind of nuts to think that Nintendo would just make more to satisfy the demands of any retailer submitting orders for them. If Nintendo made enough to provide retailers with their initial stock, and those retailers sold out only to turn around and ask for more, Nintendo could just say "Nope, all gone" and that'd be that.

Nope, I am aware of the 3rd party sellers and that's not at all what I meant. Amazon itself pushes for restocks on stuff like this all the time. I had this discussion with a friend just the other day who is working for Amazon regarding their current feud with Figuarts who is refusing to restock certain items that are in high demand for whatever reason. But Nintendo is a much larger company and should have the staff that can halfway estimate the quantities that are needed to meet demand, but they fail spectacularly again and again.

I was wrong when I called it incompetence though. They know full well what they are doing, taking a page from Disney's book and creating artificial scarcity to put more power behind their brand name and create a false sense of value. It's a really shitty practice but that's what you get I guess.

While on the topic, my friend actually mentioned amiibos by name as another example of a product Amazon has fought to get restocked. That was worth a quick laugh.

Last edited:
Nope, I am aware of the 3rd party sellers and that's not at all what I meant. Amazon itself pushes for restocks on stuff like this all the time. I had this discussion with a friend just the other day who is working for Amazon regarding their current feud with Figuarts who is refusing to restock certain items that are in high demand for whatever reason.
I actually have background in the production side and I know it's simply not a we need more stock case and boom there is your stock. There's a lot more logistic that goes behind it and there is a difference between refusing and not able to.

I actually have background in the production side and I know it's simply not a we need more stock case and boom there is your stock. There's a lot more logistic that goes behind it and there is a difference between refusing and not able to.
I get that, but lets be real here: In this particular case we are talking about a USB drive and artbook/card. There's nothing prohibitive about making more of either, especially when the company is Nintendo's size.

To be fair I don't know that Amazon is asking for more anyways. But if it sold out in under half a day I can't imagine that they wouldn't be interested in a restock, and if it was profitable to make it the 1st time around why wouldn't it be for the 2nd?

Last edited:
You act like the game is coming out next week. There is still more time for other retailers to open their preorders.
I'm not acting like anything, and I am keeping as much of an eye on the other retailers as I can. But I do have a life outside of Nintendo and when pre-orders only last hours there's not much I can do. I'm not the biggest fan of Xenoblade but this would be nice to have (for the soundtrack if nothing else); but for other products this crap becomes a lot more frustrating.

Here's hoping I can get a PO in with somebody.

I'm not acting like anything, and I am keeping as much of an eye on the other retailers as I can. But I do have a life outside of Nintendo and when pre-orders only last hours there's not much I can do. I'm not the biggest fan of Xenoblade but this would be nice to have (for the soundtrack if nothing else); but for other products this crap becomes a lot more frustrating.

Here's hoping I can get a PO in with somebody.

Implying that those able to pre order are glued to computer monitors 24/7 awaiting Nintendo products.

Really? Only had to put $25 down on it? I'll cancel my GS.com one if so as I'm probably moving again before it launches and I don't trust their system to change my address without cancelling it.
yup, i can confirm this as well. I just placed my pre-order in store today at noon with $25 down.

Managed to get a reservation in-store today, but was told that to hold it I needed to put down $25 instead of the usual $5. Is...this customary for CEs?

Managed to get a reservation in-store today, but was told that to hold it I needed to put down $25 instead of the usual $5. Is...this customary for CEs?
Same thing just happEned to me. It's kind of annoying but less so than missing out on this all together. Less frivolous special edition preorders from now on I guess

Thanks @Youngnoble and @jeffcrazy !! I missed the last couple of times these pre-orders were up on Amazon and GameStop, but I was finally able to snag a pre-order with all the die-hard fans focusing on the new amiibos XP

Glad to finally get on locked down.  Hopefully BBY posts too and I can cancel the GS order.

This might actually end up being the first USB drive that's come with a collector's edition that I'll end up using.  It looks pretty great.

Preordered at Newegg. So now I have one for too much from GS, one from newegg that's cheaper (no tax), and hopefully waiting on the one from Best Buy to get it cheapest, even with tax, - after GCU! Then, the other two will be cancelled. :D

Preordered at Newegg. So now I have one for too much from GS, one from newegg that's cheaper (no tax), and hopefully waiting on the one from Best Buy to get it cheapest, even with tax, - after GCU! Then, the other two will be cancelled. :D
I wouldn't hold out much faith that NewEgg will work out, as they've advertised CEs/LEs in the past and failed hard on fulfilling them.

Damn, 11 dollars more than amazon, gamestop charge tax + shipping.. I think I'm going to have to pass. I'm starting to think its not even worth the 89.99 price tag.

fuck Newegg. It's the worst because they never fulfill the amount of orders they take for popular titles. Good luck to those who ordered there.
I've been lucky with them, as I've never had a rare item preordered there, so I haven't been screwed yet. I have preordered tons of items over the years, but no issues with them thus far. I mainly like them due to no taxes, as they are the last place left I can order from and not have it applied.

bread's done
Back