Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name='guinaevere']i'll move it in a second and put a redirect.

second question- a store about 40 from here has used copies at $60. would that be worth picking up for anyone here? keep in mind I have to factor in gas, paypal fee and shipping. and I don't even know the condition of the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested if its in a great condition. Lmk how much in total you were thinking. Thanks.

it's supposed to, but it has some issues where the online inventory doesn't always reflect store inventory. I made two trips out to Rome (GA) because it said it had a Franklin (the turtle) ds game I wanted. (don't laugh, I have the most absurd ds collection.)

I don't get how their inventory works completely. my hunny says his store is always accurate, and that wouldn't surprise me. but the other managers in the area- there's no telling.

[quote name='guinaevere']it's supposed to, but it has some issues where the online inventory doesn't always reflect store inventory. I made two trips out to Rome (GA) because it said it had a Franklin (the turtle) ds game I wanted. (don't laugh, I have the most absurd ds collection.)

I don't get how their inventory works completely. my hunny says his store is always accurate, and that wouldn't surprise me. but the other managers in the area- there's no telling.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, whoa. Don't bury the lead. How bout some pics of the ds collection in the collection thread?

I walked into an out of town Gamestop and I see eight copies of Xenoblade Chronicles. I nearly had a heart attack.

55fba1fd-d61a-450b-bf58-d35a75bc620c_zps0fb279fb.jpg

Then I looked closely and discovered it was just some dummy "advertising" boxes, and they didn't have it in stock. Figured it was too good to be true.

[quote name='Taren Fox']I walked into an out of town Gamestop and I see eight copies of Xenoblade Chronicles. I nearly had a heart attack.

Then I looked closely and discovered it was just some dummy "advertising" boxes, and they didn't have it in stock. Figured it was too good to be true.[/QUOTE]
This was very likely the case for a LONG time in many locations. When people, particularly in this thread, say they saw plenty of them sitting around for a while this is what they were seeing and not actual stock. The dummy cases seen were likely either around the sales counter or somewhere else pretty visible, like this.

[quote name='JCrichton']This was very likely the case for a LONG time in many locations. When people, particularly in this thread, say they saw plenty of them sitting around for a while this is what they were seeing and not actual stock. The dummy cases seen were likely either around the sales counter or somewhere else pretty visible, like this.[/QUOTE]

When I bought my copy about 3-4 months ago, the store had about 20 of those boxes on the Wii shelf but they only had 2 in stock.

[quote name='guinaevere']it's supposed to, but it has some issues where the online inventory doesn't always reflect store inventory. I made two trips out to Rome (GA) because it said it had a Franklin (the turtle) ds game I wanted. (don't laugh, I have the most absurd ds collection.)

I don't get how their inventory works completely. my hunny says his store is always accurate, and that wouldn't surprise me. but the other managers in the area- there's no telling.[/QUOTE]

Even way back in the 90's I got the Garfield sega genesis game and still have it to this day complete. I think there was a pc version and even a game gear one. Called Garfield: Caught In The Act. Was a huge huge fan then and still like Garfield now. I even bought the Kitty Luv? I think it was pc game years ago and still have it. So I know how you feel about the absurd part. I've always had that kid side to me that I'm sure a lot here still have too. Sorry for the rambling too.

And yeah one time I was looking for a official DS usb wifi stick once and it kept saying it was at one gamestop days after it was gone. I've seen some used copies of Xenoblade actual ones around here too but that's been a while. And I haven't been to a gamestop in weeks. Most likely never going there again unless they have a game for a good price there which would be rare.

Here's another weird fact about a store here too. When they got Ni No Kuni at release they ONLY got enough for preorders too. I wonder if that was Digital River strikes again too. Ended up going with amazon the same night and getting the game tax free, free super saver shipping I think and that promo DLC that was amazon only. I would think gamestop likes money too and they usually get at least a few extra with the preordered ones.

Would anyone be willing to match Guinaevere's offer to pick up a game from their local Gamestop and mail it? I've looked in my state an all the surrounding states and I can't find a copy - new or used. At this point I just want to play the game!

I would glady cover the cost of the game, gas to drive to it, and mailing costs (and maybe a little bonus for being so nice!)

Please let me know if your local Gamestop has a copy and this is something you would be willing to do!

Thanks =D

So...gamefly sent me a second case for Xenoblade for some reason, unused club nintendo insert and everything. Too bad disk only games are still going for a ton or I would be tempted to complete a 2nd copy

[quote name='Taren Fox']I walked into an out of town Gamestop and I see eight copies of Xenoblade Chronicles. I nearly had a heart attack.

Then I looked closely and discovered it was just some dummy "advertising" boxes, and they didn't have it in stock. Figured it was too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah. A gamestop employee argued with me over the fact that they had Wii boxes out when it was rare. He was smug, saying "we don't have a sign that says Wii available." I mentioned that they had the boxes on the shelf behind him. "Those are empty" he said. Smart.

Where do they even get these? Custom made empty boxes?

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Haha, yeah. A gamestop employee argued with me over the fact that they had Wii boxes out when it was rare. He was smug, saying "we don't have a sign that says Wii available." I mentioned that they had the boxes on the shelf behind him. "Those are empty" he said. Smart.

Where do they even get these? Custom made empty boxes?[/QUOTE]

They just send us a ton of cover art to display as advertisements. They tell us which ones to display so we have no power to change it even if the game is not available. Kind of retarded how every store has 6 of these out and no store within 100 miles has the game :/

[quote name='shadowkast']i think his point you missed. they will simply charge you for the game. then contact them and say "heysince you charged me, can i get the case for my $60 purchase".

more like a white lie rather than trying to cheat or steal from gamefly.[/QUOTE]

Oh... yea. I did miss the point. At this point though, I'm not sure they would send out the case after I would report a damaged game, because from their viewpoint, why would I need a case if the game is damaged?

I dunno, I'll probably get charged the $60 and be left with the disc only if I did that.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Someone fairly new to Jrpgs could not know FF.

I was just going by what you said which was well known PS2 jrpgs which are X, XII. Not starting an argument, just saying.[/QUOTE]
I'm well aware of FF, though I must say I've never played one.
[quote name='Hemi']Didn't forget, but who doesn't know final fantasy? Besides It's soo well known I didn't feel the need to push onto him, and I tryed to keep it to PS2 games (besides digimon world), and FF is mostly PS1.[/QUOTE]
I've been thinking of picking one up with the PSN sale, where should I start? I'm hearing 7, but I've also heard that it's people's least favorite (lots of passionate opinions)
[quote name='PancakesAreLove']I'm surprised you forgot Final Fantasy but I love all your choices. Digimon world is probably my favorite game just because it has so much meaning to me. I must have bought at least 4 copies since they keep getting scratched up. I wish they would release it on PSN as it isn't getting any cheaper.[/QUOTE]
Somehow I always thought Digimon was just a dumb cartoon trying to rip off Pokemon. I'll definitely keep an eye out for them now:)
[quote name='Hemi']Some of the more well known JRPG'S for PS2 are Dark cloud 1 & 2, Persona 3 (theres 2 versions of 3 odd enough) & 4, Xenosaga I II and III, and the .Hack's, I would reccomend them to ANYONE with a PS2, HECK while your at it, the PS1 games Digimon World 1 2 & 3 are fantastic as well! The best way to get into it is watch a few gameplay videos, see if you can get into it a little, if it looks fun then, pick it up, the great part is (minus digimon world) you can find the first game CIB for real cheap and easily. Most of them it's a $10 investment for the first one, so why not? (Persona 4 you can pick up new/sealed for about $20+)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm watching the Persona 4 anime right now and really liking it, so I'm tempted to pick it up, though I wonder if it would ruin it if I know what happens:/ Dark Cloud has been on my list, but I'm having trouble finding it for a good price. What I was really asking though was how easy Xenoblade was to get into (must have missed something that was posted before me). I really want to try some of these out now though, after I get through my backlog (it's becoming alarming)

Okay so a Xenoblade popped up within 30 minutes of my house. I put in an @store request. It's Sunday and the store doesn't open until 11. Should I be waiting at the door as the store opens, or should I wait for the email? I'm afraid someone will pick it up if I wait. D:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I'm well aware of FF, though I must say I've never played one.

I've been thinking of picking one up with the PSN sale, where should I start? I'm hearing 7, but I've also heard that it's people's least favorite (lots of passionate opinions)[/QUOTE]

How far are you looking to go back? I know you talk about backlog (and don't we all have too much of a backlog) but why not start at the "beginning" of the plot-based ones? Start with downloadable FF 4 (PSP section) then FF 5 and 6?

SI

In the interest of full disclosure, FF4 is my personal favorite for story but some of the game mechanics will certainly be dated. However, it's eminently approachable for even a modern audience. But it's also like watching an older movie: many things will be very cliche. The thing to keep in mind is that some of those older works are the place where those cliches were invented or popularized.

Much as I dislike the characters and story in 7, it's going to be another good starting point in terms of mechanics. The thing is, hope you're ok with late 90s characters who are hard to like because you'll be inundated with them from angsty to annoying to pointlessly mysterious. To be fair, FF6 suffers from a fair amount of this as well, hence the preference towards FF4, where all playable characters have significant plot heft (except for one and he's not really a playable character for long).

SI

[quote name='sterlingice']How far are you looking to go back? I know you talk about backlog (and don't we all have too much of a backlog) but why not start at the "beginning" of the plot-based ones? Start with downloadable FF 4 (PSP section) then FF 5 and 6?

SI[/QUOTE]

Is 4 only on PSP? I've only got a PS3 (well, that applies to this sale that is), so if so I won't be able to get it. I'm kinda a graphics snob, so I does anyone know how these look upscaled on PS3? I tried playing Crash 3 and it wasn't so bad, but I'd prefer something 2D simply because I think they age better. Obviously I'll choose gameplay over graphics, but it's something I take into consideration.

Honestly, not sure how PSN works as my PS3 has been in storage since I moved: only room for one console in this apartment and that's going to the Wii so I can play the RPGs for it, most notably Xenoblade Chronicles (see! on topic!)

It's listed on this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_PSP_games
Don't know if this means you can get them on PS3 or not.

Looks like it has the old school 2D sprite graphics, tho, if it's like the PSX or some of the other remakes, it might have some cheesy PSX-era cutscenes.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/16/final-fantasy-iv-the-complete-collection-review

SI

I recommend starting on 4 and just going forward. Don't skip 5, it's my favorite though the story's not great. Choosing and mixing your own classes is the best. No idea why they didn't localize it originally.

[quote name='Taren Fox']Okay so a Xenoblade popped up within 30 minutes of my house. I put in an @store request. It's Sunday and the store doesn't open until 11. Should I be waiting at the door as the store opens, or should I wait for the email? I'm afraid someone will pick it up if I wait. D:[/QUOTE]

I hope you got it!

A copy popped up in my area, but between the new used price, gas, tax, a toll and not being able to use the CAG16 code, it's not worth the drive. I got my own like new used copy for $34.xx from the website before it disappeared, now it would cost at least twice that.

Just bought a disc only, good condition Xenoblade off eBay for $78, including shipping.

Still kinda pricey, but cheapest I've seen on there. I'm sure GameStop will now have copies on their website this week.

[/QUOTE]

Don't leave us hanging. Was the Franklin game any good?

[quote name='DQT']Don't leave us hanging. Was the Franklin game any good?[/QUOTE]

FYI, I was in People Play Games in Chicago today and they do have a complete used copy for $84. If anybody is in the area, that's an option if you don't mind paying higher than MSRP for a used copy.

Alright guys, I need to know if this game is worth $59.99 used PLUS driving 2 hours away to get it (1 hour there and 1 hour back) since I finally found a store that is holding it for me! :headache:

I guess the way I'm justifying it is I can trade some stuff in to offset the cost, but it won't be the entire amount. What to do!

Edit: I calculated how much in gas I'll actually need, about 3.5 gallons @ $3.84/gallon comes out to about $12, so I guess it's not too bad IF I can bring the cost of the game down to about $30 after trade-ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tylerdurden10']Alright guys, I need to know if this game is worth $59.99 used PLUS driving 2 hours away to get it (1 hour there and 1 hour back) since I finally found a store that is holding it for me! :headache:

I guess the way I'm justifying it is I can trade some stuff in to offset the cost, but it won't be the entire amount. What to do!

Edit: I calculated how much in gas I'll actually need, about 3.5 gallons @ $3.84/gallon comes out to about $12, so I guess it's not too bad IF I can bring the cost of the game down to about $30 after trade-ins.[/QUOTE]

I loved the game FWIW.

I loved the game that much but I can't guarantee you will. It ate my life for a few months. 130 hours or something finishing it, and I didn't even do all the bonus stuff at the end.

[quote name='tylerdurden10']Alright guys, I need to know if this game is worth $59.99 used PLUS driving 2 hours away to get it (1 hour there and 1 hour back) since I finally found a store that is holding it for me! :headache:

Edit: I calculated how much in gas I'll actually need, about 3.5 gallons @ $3.84/gallon comes out to about $12, so I guess it's not too bad IF I can bring the cost of the game down to about $30 after trade-ins.[/QUOTE]

It's probably my second favorite RPG this gen. It's a lot like an MMORPG (but offline) with a huge world to explore and lots to do.

And if you don't like it, you can probably easily sell it for $80 for just the disc which would re-coup the cost of the game and gas.

[quote name='Vinny']It's probably my second favorite RPG this gen. It's a lot like an MMORPG (but offline) with a huge world to explore and lots to do.

And if you don't like it, you can probably easily sell it for $80 for just the disc which would re-coup the cost of the game and gas.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly my thoughts as well! I'm going to do it since I'm a die hard RPG fanatic (I realize that I should've already had it to begin with, but my backlog is over 100 games!).
I also mustered up a bunch of stuff to trade in, so I actually won't have to pay for the game, just the cost of gas. :)

Thanks for the input guys! :applause:

I'm late to the game, but I'll ask this question: In your life, how many games are worth that much time and money? If the answer is 0-5, then it's probably not worth it just because it would then have to be in your time 5 games ever. But I could see this in a lot of people's top 20-50 list (i.e. top couple RPGs this gen, top couple games they played last year, etc).

SI

Just got home after my 2 hour trip, ended up paying only $21 for it after 20% off coupon & trade-ins. So relived to finally have it, now I can stop my endless refreshing of the Gamestop website hoping that a copy shows up in my area! :)

Now is the best time to look for rare games with the 50% bonus going on. I was able to pick up Mario All-stars with disc and in mint box today.

[quote name='Deader2818']Now is the best time to look for rare games with the 50% bonus going on. I was able to pick up Mario All-stars with disc and in mint box today.[/QUOTE]

What is this 50% bonus of which you speak?

[quote name='Drclaw411']What is this 50% bonus of which you speak?[/QUOTE]

50% bonus trade in. People will trade stuff like this in because it has high value

[quote name='blindinglights']GameStop sent me an email this morning telling me that my copy of Xenoblade is worth $45.[/QUOTE]
Apparently some people fell for this. Two showed up in stock (used obviously) in my area.

[quote name='tylerdurden10']Also just out of curiosity, do you already have the game? Is that why you won't bother to drive to get it? 16 miles is less than my work commute! lol[/QUOTE]

Well, I had it, sold it on ebay for $100, and don't care to get another copy to resell it. My reasons for selling are long and really have nothing to do with the quality of the game.

[quote name='yantelope']Well, I had it, sold it on ebay for $100, and don't care to get another copy to resell it. My reasons for selling are long and really have nothing to do with the quality of the game.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I was just thinking if you were looking for it, 16 miles to get it would definitely be worth it. ;)

I'm (very) slowly working my way through Xenoblade, and although I am tempted to sell my copy for $100+ before finishing it, there are just too many hooks in here that I just want to be patient with the limited gaming time I have for it.

The fact that I can play for 20-30 minutes at a time, make some progress, and then save anywhere I'd like is something I wasn't able to do as easily in past RPGs I've played, so it's staying on the shelf for now.

I also did notice a copy pop up not too far from where I'm at (after a month solid of no copies avaiable), but I have no interest in rushing out for another one.

bread's done
Back