XNA Community Games Thread--Check out OP for January's Games, Top 10, & Master List

I thought CaveIn was one of the better ones. The graphics are nice, the sound effects don't feel cheap like they do in some community games, the music and sound effects have good timing and pacing, and the multiple methods of control are well done.

I also hate how in many commu-games, the characters feel disjointed from the world, due to overtly-slidey walkign animations, or lack of sound effects/graphic effects to show contact. I didn't get that with CaveIn, it really felt like Johnny Death knew how to make a decent game!

Biology Battle, Wep of Choice, and CaveIn are probably my top 3 ATM.

Edit: And CaveIn is 400 Pts, not 200. For a community game, it looks like it should cost more than that, really...

So how can we CAGs rate all the games and see what they would score from all of us? Would we have to create multiple threads with a poll for each game and then post links to those threads in 1 main thread? I'd be willing to create the threads. Unless there is a better way to do it?

[quote name='fart_bubble']The trial is supposed to be going to 8 minutes in the near future (I would expect that this will only effect new games).[/QUOTE]

Haven't tried it out, but this should be in effect now.

Also this will effect all the games, not just new, since the time limit was seperate from the actual games. Though some of the games do have coded limits on what's locked in the trial.

Yeah the blackjack game I tried yesterday definitely had a longer time limit.

Anyway, how is it that I jut now saw this thread? Did it get moved here from somewhere else? Nice to see, especially since I've requested one a few times.

Edit:

So for those that bought Weapon of Choice, is it worth it? The demo isn't long enough to really know.
Also considering Blow, looks really fun, but again the demo wasn't long enough.
Need to check out Biology Battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thrustbucket']Yeah the blackjack game I tried yesterday definitely had a longer time limit.

Anyway, how is it that I jut now saw this thread? Did it get moved here from somewhere else? Nice to see, especially since I've requested one a few times.

Edit:

So for those that bought Weapon of Choice, is it worth it? The demo isn't long enough to really know.
Need to check out Biology Battle.[/QUOTE]

I love Weapon of Choice and did a write up of it Here: http://diehardgamefan.com/2008/12/15/community-games-actionadventure-genre

I think it's more fun than a lot of the XBLA 800 point games.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
Need to check out Biology Battle.[/QUOTE]

I can understand if the try till you get it right gameplay might turn some people off, I think Blow is awesome. The puzzles are extremely creative and there is a lot of game there (80 set stages and then there is a a game where everything is randomly created). The soundtrack is really good to boot.

Biology Battle I really love. It might be a Geometry Wars clone but I Biology Battle out does them in quite a few regards.

Still wish they would fix the online bugs in the Blackjack game. It would be perfect for what it is if it wasn't for the glitches. Plus it is pretty cool that no matter what time of the day is, you will always find at least one game going on.

edit:

a few more games

Dr. Popper for 200 points. Its a Collapse clone

Writer's Block for 400 points. Its our first point and click game

Hexothermic for 200 points. Looks like an interesting puzzle game

[quote name='J7.']So how can we CAGs rate all the games and see what they would score from all of us? Would we have to create multiple threads with a poll for each game and then post links to those threads in 1 main thread? I'd be willing to create the threads. Unless there is a better way to do it?[/quote]

I think that would cause a giant cluster fuck of threads. Why don't I add in the links to the specific games at jigsawhc 's site: http://www.xblaratings.com/

There we can add in reviews and rank the games. After they get a few more reviews posted, I could even list the average score. Just an idea...but we are at over 80 games now and one month into the community games being available. That means potentially 100s of threads.

Edit:

So, for example, Biology Battle's Entry in the Op would be:

Biology Battle (Action & Adventure) Price: 800 Microsoft Points (11/19) 8.8

You could click the score and it would link to the xblaratings page for Biology battle and see all of the user reviews submitted.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I think that would cause a giant cluster fuck of threads. Why don't I add in the links to the specific games at jigsawhc 's site: http://www.xblaratings.com/

There we can add in reviews and rank the games. After they get a few more reviews posted, I could even list the average score. Just an idea...but we are at over 80 games now and one month into the community games being available. That means potentially 100s of threads.

Edit:

So, for example, Biology Battle's Entry in the Op would be:

Biology Battle (Action & Adventure) Price: 800 Microsoft Points (11/19) 8.8

You could click the score and it would link to the xblaratings page for Biology battle and see all of the user reviews submitted.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I don't understand the need for us to separately rank the games. xblaratings is a perfect site to link to if you don't think us talking about the games in this thread gives you a good idea. Shit, there is only one community games thread on here for this reason. too much fucking clutter if we went the other way

Im Diggin The Black Jack Game Even Though It Nds After A Certain Amount Of Time I Dont Just Start A New Game

I loved to play Crystal Crush that anyone seems to tryed before. I think Crystal Crush is a very enjoing and polished puzzle game. I discovered it for a chance because I haven't see it in any tread. I'm surprised of it.

I'm wondering if anyone else tryed it. Is this crystal so mud covered?

[quote name='J7.']That sounds good, so you'll be adding the ratings soon?[/quote]

Well, some are at a couple user ratings and some are at no ratings at all. I can go through and provide a link to the review site for each...however, I'm not going to keep changing the percentage each time a game is reviewed. I have a couple things due tomorrow for my master's course, so I'll try and add it in Monday or Tuesday.

Hexothermic is fucking awesome. Really simple (game is based on chain reactions) but a whole lot of fun. Only thing that sucks is that its a bit buggy. It has awards but it tends to delete the ones that you have already completed so you have to do it all over again. Other than that and no online leaderboartds, its fantastic.

The music program though simple, is pretty fun. Its a bit bare bones but you can actually create some decent music. Only thing that sucks is there is no way to share songs and no way to export them to something else. In the game, the creator says that he is hoping to continually update it with new loops. Hell, you really don't even need to buy it as you can save your songs in the demo and edit them on the next time you boot it up.

Only played the demo of Writer's Block but it seems pretty cool but the demo hinders your ability on getting a feel of it. Point and Click games just doesn't lend it self to a timed demo. The writing you do see is pretty good though. I'll probably buy this one in the near future and see what is up. If nothing else, maybe if it sells, it will lead to more people putting point and click games out on the service

[quote name='alcart1']I loved to play Crystal Crush that anyone seems to tryed before. I think Crystal Crush is a very enjoing and polished puzzle game. I discovered it for a chance because I haven't see it in any tread. I'm surprised of it.

I'm wondering if anyone else tryed it. Is this crystal so mud covered?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get into that game but then again, I didn't play much of the demo (some games got overlooked by myself when the first huge batch was dumped onto the marketplace)

two more games released

Falldown for 400 points. Another game where you need at least 1 other to play
Starfield for 400 points. its a shmup that clocks in at a whopping 110 megs. The developer's name is awesome, iworkedatsubway

Writer's Block seems pretty cool, I might get that as well. Surprised there's only one point and click game so far.

The do for Crystal Crush was ok, it certainly is an interesting spin on the match three puzzle. I actually thought that Crystal Crush might be sort of fun as a DS game using the touch screen to move the grid.

EZMuze is sort of limited at the moment, but he plans on updating it for free.

And Fireplace for 400 points? Seriously, $5?

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Well, some are at a couple user ratings and some are at no ratings at all. I can go through and provide a link to the review site for each...however, I'm not going to keep changing the percentage each time a game is reviewed. I have a couple things due tomorrow for my master's course, so I'll try and add it in Monday or Tuesday.[/quote]
That's the only problem with relying on that site. We won't really know how good each game is, but it is better than nothing. I'll change my other thread into something that will work. I'll accept ratings from CAG users for any XNA game and once I get 5 ratings for a game I will post that game's rating. I've posted my ratings so far, please post yours. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5280892#post5280892

carneyvale looks pretty good
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855014d/?p=1&of=0&sb=1

screen2.jpg

OP updated...sorry for the delay in getting the recent releases on the list.

[quote name='J7.']That's the only problem with relying on that site. We won't really know how good each game is, but it is better than nothing. I'll change my other thread into something that will work. I'll accept ratings from CAG users for any XNA game and once I get 5 ratings for a game I will post that game's rating. I've posted my ratings so far, please post yours. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5280892#post5280892[/quote]

J7, that's what I was getting at though: If we all went to xblaratings.com and reviewed the games there all of the CAG community's thoughts, as well as the xblaratings community's thoughts, would all be in one spot. That way we would get to that magic "5" reviews quicker. Plus, they run contests regularly to give away ms points...Personally, I just feel like it is a better system. Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow I will add in a symbol at the end of each entry...perhaps a "X" and those interested can click on that to link to the ratings page and get or leave their review.

I bought Carnyvale. It very much seems it was meant to be an XBLA at some point. The screenshot posted above lists "achivements" but in the game its "Rewards".

Very polished. I wonder if the developers just decided MS certification was too expensive and decided to hail mary it on Community Games.

Anyway, I bought it. Great game for $5.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']OP updated...sorry for the delay in getting the recent releases on the list.

J7, that's what I was getting at though: If we all went to xblaratings.com and reviewed the games there all of the CAG community's thoughts, as well as the xblaratings community's thoughts, would all be in one spot. That way we would get to that magic "5" reviews quicker. Plus, they run contests regularly to give away ms points...Personally, I just feel like it is a better system. Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow I will add in a symbol at the end of each entry...perhaps a "X" and those interested can click on that to link to the ratings page and get or leave their review.[/quote]
Hopefully CAGs decide to register with that site. If they don't we will have my list to fall back on. I will continue to add ratings to my list either way. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208214

Added in a rating "X" for the first half of the games in the op...let me know if anyone has any opinions about this.

Couple things I noticed while doing this. WHERE is Culture? It's not on my list (wtf?) and it's not on the marketplace...however, I remember this game coming out. Why didn't I put it in the OP and where did it go?

Another thing is Beat it! does not have a page on http://www.xblaratings.com/

Edit: Oh yeah, had a blast with the demo for Carnyvale last night...def. picking this one up. This game, by the way, was this year's Dream-Build-Play winners. Joystiq.

Also, I thought for sure I read that this was going to be an XBLA game priced at 800 points. I can live without achievements for half the price.

[quote name='fart_bubble']two more games

Beat it: The Christmas Edition for 200 points. Like the title says, its just Beat It in a winter theme

Puzzle DeFusion for 400 points[/quote]

[quote name='fart_bubble']couple more games:

Block Fight! for 200 points. It looks like a longer version of Pong

Ultratron for 400 points. Thats a whole lot of neon[/quote]

[quote name='fart_bubble']another game has been released

Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp for 200 points[/quote]

OP is updated with these and the rating "X"s that link to the xblaratings site. Thanks fart_bubble for posting the new additions in the thread.

People, if you play/purchase a game...please click on the "X" and rate the games. The "X" will link you to www.xblaratings.com and is the best(only?) community game reviews done by a community.

Determining quality of these games can be difficult when the review/demo period of a game is only four minutes. Other review outlets have issues such as Destructoid "challenging" the xna community's developers to give them enough points to download the developer's game in exchange for reviewing the game on their site. Other review sites only rate the demos (i.e. XNPlay).

Therefore, if there are any ideas out there that seem better than linking to the only community driven review site for these games, please let me know. Until then, let's rate and contribute. Thanks.

Edit: Apparently I completely missed that trial modes have been extended to 8 minutes. link

GamerBytes and XNPlay have announced their top ten Community Games for 2008 here:

10. Galax-E-Mail (BogTurtleStudios) - 200 Points
9. Monaco360 (Cognatus Systems) - 200 Points
8. CaveIn (Johnny Death) - 400 Points
7. Star Pilot (jsmars) - 400 Points
6. Weapon Of Choice (Mommy's Best Games) - 400 Points
5. Hexothermic (David Webb) - 200 Points
4. Duotrix (Caffeine Monster Software/Binary Zoo) - 400 Points
3. Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp (Ishisoft) - 200 Points
2. Ultratron (Pumpkin Games/Puppy Games) - 400 Points
1. CarneyVale Showtime (Gambit) - 400 Points

Check out the article for descriptions and why the games ranked where they did.

Also, Major Nelson's list for Dec. 15:

Top Community Games NEW! (Full Versions purchased)
1 Golden Royal Blackjack
2 Snowmans Dilemma
3 Word Soup
4 Weapon of Choice
5 Tower Revolution
6 World Molder
7 Couples Sudoku
8 Petank Party
9 sin(Surfing)
10 Classicard

[quote name='fart_bubble']yeah, I'm surprised about Ultratron being on the list. I just didn't see anything in the trial that screamed for me to buy it[/quote]

I haven't played it...but they seemed pretty hyped for it and did a preview article before it came out. I'm happy with CarneyVale and will now try Ultratron, Biscuit Romp, and Hexothermic when I might not have before.

Added:

*Aceball (Classics) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X
*The Collector (Other) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X
*Constrictor (Other) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X
*Indirian Solitaire (Card & Board) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X
*Machiavelli's Ascent (Platformer) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X
*Quarx (Puzzle & Trivia) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X

I do believe we are at 100 games/entries in the community games.

Yeah I don't get it that game was pure trash sorry but it was there was nothing done other than creating a menu system that was it.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Hexothermic when I might not have before.[/QUOTE]

That game is definitely worth checking out. I think its the best puzzler on the there.

Quite a bit of games got released this morning didn't it. I want to check out that Machiavelli's Ascent, the style and graphics look pretty good from the screenshots

[quote name='fart_bubble']That game is definitely worth checking out. I think its the best puzzler on the there.

Quite a bit of games got released this morning didn't it. I want to check out that Machiavelli's Ascent, the style and graphics look pretty good from the screenshots[/quote]

I thought Machiavelli's Ascent would be cool based on the style/graphics...but it turns out it is a worse version of Orisinal's Winterbells.

I played Quarx and it seemed like a competent Dr. Mario clone. I didn't pay much attention to the features cause I'm not going to pay 400 points for puzzle clones that I suck at.

I also played the demos for Biscuit romp and Ultratron. I really enjoyed the Biscuit romp and I think it is a must buy for 200 points. I enjoyed the concept of Ultratron...sort of a PacMan CE meets robotron. I doubt I'll buy though.

Yeah, I'm kinda wishing I didn't impulse buy Machiavelli's Ascent. I think its cool but I don't know if its worth the 200 points.

Aceball is okay if you dig pong. Its nothing that you need to play but its not bad either.

I don't like The Collector, IMO, its a bad flash game.

They broke the only rule that counts in a snake clone in Constrictor, to have competent controls.

Indirian Solitaire is what you would expect it would be. Not flashy but a decent Solitaire game. I would buy it if it was 200 points and I didn't already own that solitaire game on Live

Didn't like Quarx but then again, I was never a big fan of Dr. Mario

Added: *Joint Strike Future (Shooter) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (12/29)...X

They keep a comin'!

Tried to play *reTension earlier, but there was a glitch where the top half of my tv was flickering so I quit and deleted it. Anyone else have this problem? I really wanted to play to find out how a card/board game got 3/3 in both sex and mature content!

Ok i've tried several of these community games and never really been impressed. I played my share of shareware games many years ago on the pc and that's what most of these remind me of.

That being said I browse through them occasionally checking screenshots and etc. I did this earlier and found a game called Johnny Platformers Biscuit Romp. It kinda looked like Mario so I tried it out. Long story short I just bought it and i'm on level 31 or 32 taking a break right now. VERY fun little game and actually requires a little strategy here and there once you get further into it. It's only 200 points and well worth the $2.50 price tag so be sure to give it a try. :D

[quote name='$hady']Ok i've tried several of these community games and never really been impressed. I played my share of shareware games many years ago on the pc and that's what most of these remind me of.

That being said I browse through them occasionally checking screenshots and etc. I did this earlier and found a game called Johnny Platformers Biscuit Romp. It kinda looked like Mario so I tried it out. Long story short I just bought it and i'm on level 31 or 32 taking a break right now. VERY fun little game and actually requires a little strategy here and there once you get further into it. It's only 200 points and well worth the $2.50 price tag so be sure to give it a try. :D[/quote]

$hady, yeah, there's not much to be impressed about, but I cannot recommend CarneyVale enough. It's 400 points but worth it. Check it out here: CarneyVale Showtime. Download the demo if you have time....I believe it's the best game of the bunch right now.

bread's done
Back