XNA Community Games Thread--Check out OP for January's Games, Top 10, & Master List

[quote name='m3talst0rm']$hady, yeah, there's not much to be impressed about, but I cannot recommend CarneyVale enough. It's 400 points but worth it. Check it out here: CarneyVale Showtime. Download the demo if you have time....I believe it's the best game of the bunch right now.[/quote]

That looks really polished and pretty i'll give it a try for sure after I finish Johnnys. I'm stuck on level 50 right now. This thing gets hard but luckily every 5 levels it creates a checkpoint letting you start there next time. You won't need it prolly till you hit the 30's but the 46-50 levels are nice. ;)

Does anyone know if the XNA Community games always stay as a community game or if they will eventually be put on as an official XBLA game?
Also, are the prices fixed? I assume that they are, but I just want to be sure.

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']Does anyone know if the XNA Community games always stay as a community game or if they will eventually be put on as an official XBLA game?
Also, are the prices fixed? I assume that they are, but I just want to be sure.[/QUOTE]

They always stay as a Community Game, and the only way for one of the people to change their game's price is to resubmit the game again, which isn't something many are likely to do except for bug fixes.

[quote name='Goodeye']Yeah I don't get it that game was pure trash sorry but it was there was nothing done other than creating a menu system that was it.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you are talking about Weapon of Choice, the awesome side scrolling shooter, or Swords and Monsters, the POS 1-second long game?

[quote name='fart_bubble']Yeah, I'm kinda wishing I didn't impulse buy Machiavelli's Ascent. I think its cool but I don't know if its worth the 200 points.
[/QUOTE]

Haha, you ARE a cheap ass gamer. Honestly I think it's one of the better/best XBLCC games. I've played it for at least two hours over the past day and I think that's worth $2.50!

The game is simple and fun, isn't that what we should be hoping for in the cheapest game I've ever bought? There's a lot of games this year (well at least 2) I've bought for $50 this year that I've played less. If it's a simple game at least it's pretty :lol:

[quote name='JDSapphire']Haha, you ARE a cheap ass gamer. Honestly I think it's one of the better/best XBLCC games. I've played it for at least two hours over the past day and I think that's worth $2.50!

The game is simple and fun, isn't that what we should be hoping for in the cheapest game I've ever bought? There's a lot of games this year (well at least 2) I've bought for $50 this year that I've played less. If it's a simple game at least it's pretty :lol:[/QUOTE]

I just tend to regret anything I buy on Live at first. I've definitely spent enough time with it to justify the purchase...though I seemingly did better right after I bought than what my scores have been recently (having a hell of a time beating my 128,067 score). Its a gorgeous game and the use of sound is really cool

Haha I've been playing it since I made my last post.

1.9 million :applause:

The game's getting harder somehow the higher you go but I can't figure it out why. Do you know? Also, have you noticed how bright it gets?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Anyone else notice that Weapon of Choice showed up in some of IGN's top games of the year nominees?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that. I was surprised that the Community Games even got a consideration in their "Best of 2008" stuff. Then, I though I should go check out GameSpot and see what they did and... no mention of Community Games at all. Although they did seem to be pimping out Braid something fierce.

I guess they don't recognize anything below XBLA...

Speaking of Community Games, did anyone get the January issue of OXM? (Halo Wars on the cover.) They had a HUGE writeup on Community Games, covering Weapon of Choice, Carneyvale, and some others. There's a pretty big lead time for print publications, so I don't know if we'll be seing anything else in the other magazines, but I was surprised to see such a big layout in OXM.

OXM has done probably the best job out of all the magazines at covering the Community Games, and I believe they plan on continuing coverage based on comments from the official XNA boards.

Yeah, at the bottom of one of the pages they wrote that they (OXM) would interview one community games developer each month. I think this might be enough incentive for me to renew my subscription. Anyway, one of the games they covered isn't out yet, but it looks great. It is a "Off-Road" top-down racer. Probably one of the first good community games of the new year.

[quote name='TooShort4']hopefully my game passes review :) its called jordans asteroids[/quote]

Nice to see another cag game making its way to the community games. I'm undertaking the long process of learning to make a game of my own. I hope to have it up for submission by August 1, 2009. I'm taking it slow and, hopefully, will be able to produce a game worthy of people's gamerpoints.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Nice to see another cag game making its way to the community games. I'm undertaking the long process of learning to make a game of my own. I hope to have it up for submission by August 1, 2009. I'm taking it slow and, hopefully, will be able to produce a game worthy of people's gamerpoints.[/quote]
it's a long process, and the submission process of the game can actually be more complicated than actually creating the game itself, haha. Good luck with your game!

[quote name='TooShort4']hopefully my game passes review :) its called jordans asteroids[/quote]
Downloaded, I'll review it today :D

[quote name='Bretters']Downloaded, I'll review it today :D[/quote]
Ah, thank you so much :)
I can't say its the greatest thing, but hey, it keeps me entertained to be honest ;) I'm more of a classic games kind of guy anyways, and what better than a retro multiplayer asteroids.

EDIT: it shows as 25% complete now. Did you review it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I reviewed it shortly after I posted, any idea how many people have to review it for it to get published?

It's a fun lil asteroids game, the beauty of Community Games - 2D doesn't have to die. :D

[quote name='Bretters']Yeah I reviewed it shortly after I posted, any idea how many people have to review it for it to get published?

It's a fun lil asteroids game, the beauty of Community Games - 2D doesn't have to die. :D[/quote]
I have no idea :) I guess we will find out, eh.

by the way, if anyone here is part of XNA, please review my game. I review (mostly) every game :)

sorry for the dp:

but version 1.1 of golden royal blackjack was just approved, so that should be coming out within the next 24hrs.

another asteroids clone up

Jordans Asteroids for 200 points

also, though that update to Blackjack fixed quite a few bugs and added quite a few things that I like, it sure did give it some crippling bugs. Hopefully the new update is out some time soon

[quote name='fart_bubble']another asteroids clone up

Jordans Asteroids for 200 points

also, though that update to Blackjack fixed quite a few bugs and added quite a few things that I like, it sure did give it some crippling bugs. Hopefully the new update is out some time soon[/quote]
my game :) thanks

Air Legends added for 200:

[quote name='dmelchio']Or at least Giles Evans-Pritchard's XNA Asteroids game (from Microsoft/Rare) with your name slapped on it.... (although not sure you can expect much honesty from TooShort4 who appears to be a 16 year old kid posing as an adult so he could submit "his" game)

The original XNA Asteroids is http://dl.qj.net/XNA-Asteroids-Xbox-360/pg/12/fid/24557/catid/506.[/quote]
See this is where your wrong :)
I had full permission from Giles to use this, and I gave credit where needed. Thanks :)

[quote name='dmelchio']Issue resolved, game has been pulled[/quote]

ah, that's what happened ;)

Anyway, added:
*Air Legends (Racing & Flying) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (1/3/09)...X
*Happyface (Puzzle & Trivia) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (1/3/09)...X
*Landmark (Puzzle & Trivia) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (1/4/09)...X

Played Air legends...fun but really hard to distinguish between axis and allies.

World Revolution is a pretty good Missile Command clone. Instead of having a flat map, its an actual round globe. Not bad for 200 points

two new games are up

A.I.R. Play for 400 points

Sudoku X for 200 points. Figured someone would try to make sudoku XTREAM!! sooner or latter

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']Any other awesome games like Biology Battle? I've been looking, but it seems to be one of the best ones, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

only one of that ilk on the service right now. Only one close to it is Galax-E-Mail

I've played about 5 Community Games so far, and I've had every single one of them crash me back to the Dashboard. I think these games need a little more fine tuning, you know?

I posted this on the CAG Contest board today, and figured I'd give you guys a heads-up as well...

Mommy's Best Games, the makers of the Community Game Weapon of Choice, are having a speed run contest. It's called General Grier's Speed Run Skirmish. Basically, you just play through the first level as quickly as possible, and post a video of your run on YouTube.

The rest of the details and official rules are on the company's website:
http://www.mommysbestgames.com/speedruncontest.html

Top Prize:
4,000 MS Points and original production art signed by the artist

2nd Prize:
Black Weapon of Choice T-Shirt with your Speed Run completion time

3rd Prize:
Weapon of Choice 2009 calendar, signed by the artist

Updated OP with XBLAratings.com top ten community games based on rating. If your favorites aren't on the list go to http://www.xblaratings.com and review the games you've played.

Top Ten List at XBLARatings.com as of 1/11/09
1. CarneyVale Showtime (Platformer) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/22)...X
2. Classicard (Card & Board) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/22)...X
3. Biology Battle (Action & Adventure) Price: 800 Microsoft Points (11/19)...X
4. CaveIn - Miner Rescue Team (Action & Adventure) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/17)...X
5. Blow (Other) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/19)...X
6. Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp (Platformer) Price: 200 Microsoft Points (12/26)...X
7. Easy Golf (Sports & Recreation) Price: 800 Microsoft Points (11/20)...X
8. Weapon of Choice (Action & Adventure) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/19)...X
9. Crystal Crush (Puzzle & Trivia) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/20)...X
10. DUOtrix (Puzzle & Trivia) Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/19)...X

I have been thinking of starting a new thread in February so I can split up the OP into different sections. Since MS isn't adding a user review system for the community games, I hope that the discussions here and directing people to the xblaratings site will help our community separate the good from the bad. But, please, give me any ideas or suggestions to make this thread and the OP better. I'm feeling underwhelmed by the wall of text in the original post and don't know how to "spice it up."

Thanks for the ratings and top 10 list m3talst0rm! Is there any way you can abbreviate "Microsoft Points" to "MS Points" or "MS Pts" or "MSP" or something because it makes it hard to read with all that text when the games are all listed. It would save you time on future additions too. Or even just say price 200, etc, not needing to indicate MS Points at all.

Added:

*Bat-L-Blocks (Puzzle & Trivia) Price: 200 MS Points (1/14/09)...X
screen1_Web.jpg

*Chromatism (Racing & Flying) Price: 200 MS Points (1/13/09)...X
screen3_Web.jpg

*Exhaust (Racing & Flying) Price: 400 MS Points (1/14/09)...X
screen2_Web.jpg

*Foosball For Two (Sports & Recreation) Price: 200 MS Points (1/11/09)...X
screen4_Web.jpg

*Poker Squares (Card & Board) Price: 200 MS Points (1/14/09)...X
screen3_Web.jpg

Also changed Microsoft Points to MS Points. I'm still not happy with it but it's a little less cluttered in the op. I'm gonna try adding a pic in the thread for each game I add...hopefully that'll help in the whole "Yay! I posted game X...so what!" aspect of this thread.

Edit: I might change MS Points to
MSpoints_12_12.png
. Thoughts?

Edit 2:
I think it would be a good idea to check out this article: Xbox 360 Community Developers Still Don’t Know Sales Figures
It addresses the issues some of the developers have mentioned in this thread...like Sharky (developer of Air Legends addresses in an above post)http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=189699

Thanks, you're doing a great job with this thread. I wonder if there is some way to get the games text to line up with eachother. That would definitely make it perfect. Like this:

1. CarneyVale Showtime (Platformer) -------- Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/22)...X
2. Classicard ---------- (Card & Board) ------ Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/22)...X
3. Biology Battle ------- (Action & Adventure) Price: 800 Microsoft Points (11/19)...X

[quote name='J7.']Thanks, you're doing a great job with this thread. I wonder if there is some way to get the games text to line up with eachother. That would definitely make it perfect. Like this:

1. CarneyVale Showtime (Platformer) -------- Price: 400 Microsoft Points (12/22)...X
2. Classicard ---------- (Card & Board) ------ Price: 400 Microsoft Points (11/22)...X
3. Biology Battle ------- (Action & Adventure) Price: 800 Microsoft Points (11/19)...X[/quote]

Thanks for the idea, J7. Actually, CokeCola sent me a pm that I just read that explained how he used a spreadsheet to help with that issue in the XBL Gaming group thread. I hope to have that figured out and up by the February update/new thread. I really like how the different categories are all lined up and in different colors in that thread.

Keep the ideas rolling...

bread's done
Back