YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

I wonder if supply would continue trickling in for the foreseeable future or if this is it. i can imagine demands and secondary market value would probably shoot up again if this is nintendo's last hurrah producing nes classic. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if supply would continue trickling in for the foreseeable future or if this is it. i can imagine demands and secondary market value would probably shoot up again if this is nintendo's last hurrah producing nes classic.
As long as people keep buying, they'll keep slowing releasing stock.

Considering tomorrow is the start of the Chinese New Year and the Switch coming out in March I expect this to be the last until the spring.

Only 2 stores near me both 10-15 miles away got some and sold out immediately. I am expecting them to hit more stores in San Jose tomorrow or Monday.

Waiting for my home store, too lazy to drive out of my way for this thing.

I was also able to get one during my lunch break. I was going for coffee and Gamestop is next door to Starbucks, so I decided to walk in and there they were.

Finally I was able to get one on this weeks shipment. My store that's 4 mikes away has showed stock since Tuesday. Tried to get one but they were going by "the list", I was #19. Well they called me today so yay.

Any of these will work. Make sure the 9 ft and stick are V2.

quote name="Tora Chan" post="13612958" timestamp="1485547419"]Which controller (other than the Nintendo licensed one since its hard to find) is the best to buy in order to have a second one? There are some games that my girlfriend and I would like to play together, so I'm looking to buy a good second controller that works well.[/quote]
Which controller (other than the Nintendo licensed one since its hard to find) is the best to buy in order to have a second one? There are some games that my girlfriend and I would like to play together, so I'm looking to buy a good second controller that works well.
[attachment=25300:IMG_4269.JPG][attachment=25300:IMG_4269.JPG][attachment=25301:IMG_4269.JPG]

Finally I was able to get one on this weeks shipment. My store that's 4 mikes away has showed stock since Tuesday. Tried to get one but they were going by "the list", I was #19. Well they called me today so yay.
ha I remember you talking about that list. I didn't think you had a chance at #19 :p

nice to her you got it

Dudes, we got to get 1 for his Holiness BLackBeard. I will throw down some trade credit. If rngesus is with me, Oakland will have some in stock tomorrow'.

2 wiis traded. 2 to go. Waiting for that inevitable February 50% bump To load up.

Waiting for that inevitable February 50% bump To load up.
Just ran out of trade credit yesterday, so hopefully that's true. Have to pay off $490 worth of pre-orders, and it would hurt to have to pay outta pocket for those, especially since I have probably $500 worth (after the 50% bonus) of games/controllers/etc sitting on my shelf just waiting to be traded in.

From 11 PM to 4 AM I tried to load additional games on my Classic. Between not being able to load a drive to not being able to consistently save games as non zips I was so frustrated. I will pay someone to do this for me to avoid the frustration. When I lived in Jersey I had a local game shop that added games to my Vita via memory cards. I'd rather spend the money to avoid the hassle. There is a video of a guy that loaded 655 games!!!!

From 11 PM to 4 AM I tried to load additional games on my Classic. Between not being able to load a drive to not being able to consistently save games as non zips I was so frustrated. I will pay someone to do this for me to avoid the frustration. When I lived in Jersey I had a local game shop that added games to my Vita via memory cards. I'd rather spend the money to avoid the hassle. There is a video of a guy that loaded 655 games!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=gizmodoamzn-20&ascsubtag=61c7bb88de6e6ce3b8916517b44a0331a3cb4731&rawdata=%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1790156604%5Ba%7CB01C6Q2GSY%5Bau%7C5742923534536640995%5Bb%7Cgizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-build-your-own-mini-snes-1790156604

So weird suggestion.. was considering a nes classic but have you guys played the games .. I mean they are cool but Google emu paradise .. you can play any of the games directly from your browser with your keyboard or controller free lol.. anyways after playing some games for a few minutes I started wondering why I wanted to even get this thing lol so please use that site as a demo before making long ass trips looking for this thing

I really wanted a NES classic and so did several people I know.  However it's just impossible to find at this time.  Nintendo really missed the mark on making these fast enough and now that the holidays are over demand is dropping.  Everyone I know has purchased a Raspberri Pi now and seems happy playing their NES games on that.  

I really hope they release these games on the Switch for a reasonable price.  If they would offer these games as a subscription or to purchase for $1 to $3 ea I think they would see people lining up to buy the switch.  

So weird suggestion.. was considering a nes classic but have you guys played the games .. I mean they are cool but Google emu paradise .. you can play any of the games directly from your browser with your keyboard or controller free lol.. anyways after playing some games for a few minutes I started wondering why I wanted to even get this thing lol so please use that site as a demo before making long ass trips looking for this thing
I don't mean to be that guy but come on, that isn't exactly legal.

The NES Classic is a cool little device and the emulation/video is really good - way better than what they did on the Virtual Console. But, it does have limited use - if you are one of those people that play retro NES games obsessively, then it is a good purchase. If you are just thinking about how much fun you had with the NES as a kid, but don't really play retro games now - then it probably isn't worth the effort (while it is still hard to get). That's because NES aren't as good as you remember - most people are spoiled now, of course they are fun - but if you haven't sought them out before now on emulators/etc, you probably aren't going to spend hours with this thing. Wait until it is easy to find.

Now, I see a bunch of people that want to hack this thing, well if you are going to buy to hack the NES Classic, you are better off getting a Raspberry Pi 3B $50 kit, a 32 MB micro SD and a Buffalo SNES USB replica. It is much simpler to do than hacking a Classic and opens up way more options. Follow the LifeHacker guide and you are good to go. Maybe even splurge on a 3D printed case if the form is important to you.

The value in the NES Classic is the cool package, plug and play operation for people that don't want to mess with tech stuff. If you want more and don't mind tech stuff, go with the easier, more flexible option.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of any -really good- SNES Raspberry Pi 3 cases?  I've seen several that are pretty rough. 

Thank you to those that guided me through "the process" via link suggestions. After multiple attempts I have 97 games on the NES classic. It is nice to have such a small device filled with games that looks like the old skool NES. The save states work for all 97 games. The only game that I had issue with is Airwolf. Someone posted a video w/ 655 games. I am not sure how many more I will add. I was lucky enough to purchase two Classics so I may just keep a nice round number of games on each unit. I wld not pay eBay prices b/ if you find a system "the process" really adds dimensions to the little box. I have not attempted to play all 97 games b/ I assume they are fine. Rediscovering Duck Tales, Dark Wing Duck, Prince of Persia, Kung Fu, Rambo, Spy Hunter, etc is so cool. Typing this i want to see if there is a Gargoyles game. My fiancée will probably want me to pitch my cartridges if she finds out about all the games on the Classic. My response will be a resounding Hell 2 the No.

I don't mean to be that guy but come on, that isn't exactly legal.
true, but half the guys on here are talking about adding more games to the nes classic, which isn't either. I just "stumbled" across the site so happened to try mario for a bit, just saying its cool but I think the demand is being driven up by how rare this console is. I'd still buy it if it was at the store casually but actively searching for it may not be the best idea.

true, but half the guys on here are talking about adding more games to the nes classic, which isn't either. I just "stumbled" across the site so happened to try mario for a bit, just saying its cool but I think the demand is being driven up by how rare this console is. I'd still buy it if it was at the store casually but actively searching for it may not be the best idea.
I agree. Thinking back I am not really even sure why I posted that to you, we both feel the same. Must've just been having one of those moments lol.

I love my nes classic even more now. Everyone should be trying to get this as I'm sure nintendo will be working on fixing this exploit soon enough. Just last night I uploaded nearly the entire catalog of games onto the console. Little guy is now sitting at 686 games.

I love my nes classic even more now. Everyone should be trying to get this as I'm sure nintendo will be working on fixing this exploit soon enough. Just last night I uploaded nearly the entire catalog of games onto the console. Little guy is now sitting at 686 games.
Isn't there not enough space to save a lot of games though?

Are they in HD? Cause comparing NES Classic games and the Raspberry Pi games, there is a difference in video quality.

Target stores got a shipment this morning. At the first store I went to, I witnessed a sixtysomething year old woman buying the last one. I got the last one at the second store I hit.

Isn't there not enough space to save a lot of games though?
It's said the system has 512mb of space and the entire NES libraray clocks in around half that. I believe the save states issue was previously to do with the size of image files people were loading for each game. With the latest release, the folders have alleviated that problem as you're only loading about 30 games per folder; same as the console is prepared to handle. I haven't heard of any limits yet for save files.

It's said the system has 512mb of space and the entire NES libraray clocks in around half that. I believe the save states issue was previously to do with the size of image files people were loading for each game. With the latest release, the folders have alleviated that problem as you're only loading about 30 games per folder; same as the console is prepared to handle. I haven't heard of any limits yet for save files.
Save files for the NES Classic are likely really, really small. All you are doing is saving the register values and RAM which point to the location of execution in code and what is currently loaded into RAM and on the NES that is tiny.

Also, video quality has nothing to do with the games, they are not remasters. It has to do with the emulation and after effects added and in some cases, the quality of the hardware outputting the signal.

As far as legality, I agree with the others, if you are hacking the NES Classic, you have already bailed on that whole legality thing - even if you own the carts, it is still questionable grey area.

I've got an NES Classic, and I LOVE it. It is a great little package for what it is. I thought about hacking more games into it, but instead just went with the Pi 3 for my expansion needs - I'd rather not risk messing up the NES Classic. My son spent the whole day yesterday playing SNES games on it. I have pretty much all of the games on the NES Classic also on the Pi, but the video quality and interface (short cords notwithstanding, I bought some extensions) is better on the NES Classic.

Does anyone know if there has been anyone who dumped the entire NAND image off this thing yet? Just wondering if I can tweak it to work on the rpi.

bread's done
Back