YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

No way, fake news!!! Cause the expert analysts here on CAG swore Nintendo would keep supplying the NES Classic until stores are flooded with them.
I apologize for the alternative facts. I just wanted to fill this thread back up with the vimm and vigor it deserves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet there will be a new version really soon that either greatly reduces the storage from its already meager but excessive size or some other fix that prevents people from hacking and putting 700 games on it.  That is really the only reason I got mine.  And still haven't gotten around to doing it.  OCD to get good covers for all games and curate the list first.

I bet there will be a new version really soon that either greatly reduces the storage from its already meager but excessive size or some other fix that prevents people from hacking and putting 700 games on it. That is really the only reason I got mine.
I bet they're sick of making this device with little profit margin and insane demand ...a demand that apparently exceeds the demand for the switch.

Is it just me or is the google doc dead? I'd really like to pick one of these up before they are all gone. CL has them at $100-$120 around me but at that price I'd rather just keep using my raspberry pi or buy them on the switch VC when it opens up.

The real rarity is the controller.  From a collecting standpoint, new in box, that should be going for $200 alone based on how rare they seem to be, but aren't.

Is it just me or is the google doc dead? I'd really like to pick one of these up before they are all gone. CL has them at $100-$120 around me but at that price I'd rather just keep using my raspberry pi or buy them on the switch VC when it opens up.
It's still there and being updated.

How hard exactly are these to hack? I know next to nothing about software and moving files around, but I'd rather take steps to avoid tempting myself to resell my unopened one.

The real rarity is the controller. From a collecting standpoint, new in box, that should be going for $200 alone based on how rare they seem to be, but aren't.
For real. I've had a dozen chances to score a NES classic but I haven't seen heads or tails of the official Nintendo NES controller since Target and Walmart pre-orders.

Pmsc.jpg

The real rarity is the controller. From a collecting standpoint, new in box, that should be going for $200 alone based on how rare they seem to be, but aren't.
the official nintendo one - pretty rare

but there are also a ton of alternative controllers that are in stock and easily obtainable

How hard exactly are these to hack? I know next to nothing about software and moving files around, but I'd rather take steps to avoid tempting myself to resell my unopened one.
The most difficult part is getting the roms, and that takes all of a few minutes if you know where to look. There's video's on YT that walk you step for step through the process, and the hack is a self contained program that does everything for you, except acquiring the roms.

I've modded many devices over the years, and this one is very easy, and works very well.

Well.  Nintendo just opened the floodgates for things like Pitendos and hacked Wiis to explode in popularity by disgruntled NES fans worldwide. We'll probably even see a resurgence of those shady N64 controller-shaped plug-and-play NES clones that were all over malls like a decade ago. April 2017 must be the month of horrible decisions for corporations and government alike.

Surprisingly easy. I was worried about messing mine up but wow it was not hard at all. I'm confident my 11 year old could have done it while I read her the directions.

Which I'm sure is one of the reasons this is getting discontinued. $60 and simple hack gets you a cool toy that runs NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, TGfx16, and N64 games? Would leave no reason for an SNES mini or N64 mini down the road.

So that's why the Classics I had up on eBay for about a week sold right away this morning....and I could've made way more, dammit. At least I finally picked one up to keep this last restock :)

Yes!!!!! Just picked up a NES classic from the Panorama City, CA Gamestop. I called first and they said they had one but would not hold it. Drove over there in about 15 mins and got the one behind the counter. Thanks for the list Blackbeard4886. I had already been out to this mall last week when the Walmart was showing they had two in stock (which they still show they do but it was open box returns they can't sell). 

Pretty crazy how right when this was announced I checked eBay prices and most listings were sitting around $140-150. Just checked and now seeing a lot of listings around $180-200.

That feel when you hunted one down for your brother for Christmas instead of yourself, and he won't even open the damn thing while you can't snag another one.

Well if anyone really want's this, the Famicom version is on Amazon from many sellers for under 100 shipped(maybe cheaper elsewhere). While I don't think this was worth it at $60, with the mod, I will confirm it's a solid buy at $100. I'm not sure if you can change the Japanese language in the select menus, but you can mod it just like the NES, and put any region games on it, so this could be an option for some.

Well if anyone really want's this, the Famicom version is on Amazon from many sellers for under 100 shipped(maybe cheaper elsewhere). While I don't think this was worth it at $60, with the mod, I will confirm it's a solid buy at $100. I'm not sure if you can change the Japanese language in the select menus, but you can mod it just like the NES, and put any region games on it, so this could be an option for some.
At that point just build a raspberry pi

Aren't the controllers on those smaller and hard wired to the system?

At that point just build a raspberry pi
I agree there are much better & cheaper options, but $100 is a heluva lot better than $200+ for pretty much the same device. There is obviously a crowd willing to give "N" their first born and then some, so I'm just giving possible options.

Aren't the controllers on those smaller and hard wired to the system?
Honestly, I don't know, but they may be, as the original Famicom was that way, so stands to reason the mini would be similar.

Yes!!!!! Just picked up a NES classic from the Panorama City, CA Gamestop. I called first and they said they had one but would not hold it. Drove over there in about 15 mins and got the one behind the counter. Thanks for the list Blackbeard4886. I had already been out to this mall last week when the Walmart was showing they had two in stock (which they still show they do but it was open box returns they can't sell).
Looks like they are still holding out on some.

Thanks for the awesome list Blackbeard.  was able to score one at Gamestop for my brother.

Eurogamer is reporting Nintendo is discounting discontinuing the NES Classic. 

I just don't get Nintendo. 

Looks like they are still holding out on some.
Has to be an employee holding it to buy at end of shift.

I can say the one I got was just sitting behind the counter (and was the only one out). The employee was very specific with the store "only having one" and that being the reason they wouldn't hold it. When I literally ran in the store and asked about it the employee grabbed it and handed it to me (then tried to sell me the extender cables and a second bootleg controller) he even said "this is our last one" but most likely mumbled "except for the ones I am putting on ebay after shift".

About as hard as using the correct form of sell/sale.
Lmao.

ha ha ha. "So what if people hack it? Nintendo doesn't care as long as they're moving units!"

Nintendo prizes the integrity of their IP more than anyone else in the world. I would bet dollars that the hack had a lot to do with it. Two months ago, Kimishima* said they'd be ramping up production. Now all of a sudden they've discontinued it.

*source https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf page 9.
Im personally glad if they canned it, or at least decided to revise it to stop the people from selling hacked systems at a large profit.

Them discontinuing the classic is easily the dumbest thing I've seen in awhile! I really wouldn't have gotten one if I wasn't all over it on launch day. Makes me want to put it away now but instead I'm going to play bubble bubble. Horrible move Nintendo

Well, guess that means I'll sell both of my NIB classics. I was going to keep one and play it but if I can make 4-5x profit on each one then no sense in keeping it.

They're selling on eBay for $300+ now.

Lol there's quite a few people on reddit and nowinstock pissed off at people who told them not to buy from scalpers @ $120 just a week ago, convincing them Nintendo will keep pumping these out. Now they have to pay $300+ if they still want one.

I hacked mine lastnight . It took like a half hour. Super easy. A CAG directed me to look up syndrome208's video on youtube. Select the most recent hackchi tutorial and there is a download with program and games in the comments. Super easy. Super worth it.

I hacked mine lastnight . It took like a half hour. Super easy. A CAG directed me to look up syndrome208's video on youtube. Select the most recent hackchi tutorial and there is a download with program and games in the comments. Super easy. Super worth it.
Yeah, I was very impressed with the final product. While I had no interest in it, I must say I did play some games, maybe more than my son, as they look so damn good in HD.

I Looked for the videos and they were all 20-30 minutes long and seemed daunting so i could not do it and since im no tech guru I'm afraid I'll brick my nes mini.

I Looked for the videos and they were all 20-30 minutes long and seemed daunting so i could not do it and since im no tech guru I'm afraid I'll brick my nes mini.
I've soldered systems in the past, and once you've done that, most things are easy. I've also changed DS & PSP cases as well, so while I'm no expert, I do have expericane in taking things apart, and modding to certain degrees.

The very first thing the Mini program does is back up your system image, in case of any issues, it can be restored back to normal. In the end, you have to feel comfortable with it, but like I said, this is one of the best system alteration programs I've ever used, very well done project.

Just how desperate are people for Nintendo stuff? If you're paying even $10 over MSRP for this thing, man, I don't know... At $200+, they need to check your pulse.

bread's done
Back