YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

I love all the people who are mad at Nintendo and saying they'll never buy another Nintendo product.

Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. They didn't have to create the NES Classic in the first place.

Why do you want one so much? The NES Classic is adorable to look at, sure, but it does little else. A million people have already said that the games can be played other ways.

If you're a "collector" and must have one for your collection, buy one from eBay. If you won't pay a "scalper" out of principle, then that's your problem; fuck you. If the eBay price is too high for you, then you probably shouldn't be spending $59.99 on a collectible either and/or find a way to make more income.

If this thing had no resale value (literally $0), would you still be interested? I'm guessing the majority of people would answer no if they were being honest with themselves.

Also, this is a troll post. I'm bored. Actually, I just realized I'm not bored. I'm procrastinating. Thank you for allowing me to put off work for a few more minutes.
Ouch, that's cold man!!! But yet, lots of truths in that post.

Lol. All of you guys are seemingly underpaid for your expertise.
What are you talking about?

Everyone on cag makes at least 100k a year, has a hot model wife, knows more than the next person, and never shits their pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you talking about?

Everyone on cag makes at least 100k a year, has a hot model wife, knows more than the next person, and never shits their pants.
Now that I know the actual costs involved in getting my pants on the shelf I'm certainly gonna stop shitting them.

I’m perfectly happy to be edified because I don’t have your experience and I’m not going to pretend otherwise.

That said, you and I both know the notion that Nintendo was only making five bucks per unit is bullshit and highly unlikely.
Sure the five bucks line from Dude was hyperbole. But don't kid yourself that they were making enough to justify the long term costs of mfg and inventory etc when that money could produce a better overal return elsewhere.

If I had to wager they probably made ~$10-15 per unit. Blindly guess they sold these through their distribution channels to retailers at roughly $40 cost to retail, so they probably charged their distribution (many people forget that Nintendo still uses a lot of 3rd party distributors) $30-$35, and costs with shipping per units probably were in teh $20-$25 range.

Those are all coming right out of my ass, but you have to understand how a lot of Chinese mfg & shipping works. A lot of times you have to order in large allotments and you have to ship in full containers across the water which takes 8-12 weeks. All of that adds up to money tied up in inventory that doesn't give you the best gross margin roi.

I hope that helps you guys grok it. People are so quick to call Nintendo incompetent etc or to say they don't get it, and for a lot things they're right, but making products is very complex and difficult and Nintendo isn't that big of a company where they can risk a huge hit on inventory like they did with the Animal Crossing Amiibo etc.

And yes I like espousing whatever garbage knowledge I have on the internet while taking a shit at work or waiting for a report to finish running. Doesn't mean some of us shouldn't share our expertise.

I could stick my head up a bull's ass to get a good look at a steak, but I'd much rather take the butcher's word on it.

Too soon?

QuPfIm1.jpg

Anyways, has anyone contacted BB this week to see if they are holding NES classic till the 24th? I have a feeling some will sell them before that date.

See, folks, if Nintendo was truly making 'bank' as many of you claim, they wouldn't have stopped making it. Thats not how corporations make decisions. It is very evident that something changed the cost calculation and made a better investment of capital somewhere else. Like, I dunno, the mfg and inventory of Switch devices they just upped their estimates on. Hmmm.
Instead of being antagonistic, I am going to suggest you consider the possibility that not all corporations employ the same criteria for how decisions are made and that the Japanese specifically have a very different philosophy in how and why they make business decisions.

For example, have you read the book Console Wars, which chronicles the 16-bit battle between Nintendo and Sega? That book provides copious insight into the many flawed methodologies and ideologies that caused both companies to make massive, objective errors.

Have you seen the myriad of missteps Nintendo has made over the course of the last three decades? Many of their decisions belie even a rudimentary understanding of business and they practically handed Sony their throats with choices that were clearly egregiously foolish even back then.

I don’t know why Nintendo is discontinuing a product that is clearly very successful but to assume that decision was predicated on sound business acumen is to largely ignore their history, which includes all sorts of blunders and missteps.

Sure the five bucks line from Dude was hyperbole. But don't kid yourself that they were making enough to justify the long term costs of mfg and inventory etc when that money could produce a better overal return elsewhere.

If I had to wager they probably made ~$10-15 per unit. Blindly guess they sold these through their distribution channels to retailers at roughly $40 cost to retail, so they probably charged their distribution (many people forget that Nintendo still uses a lot of 3rd party distributors) $30-$35, and costs with shipping per units probably were in teh $20-$25 range.

Those are all coming right out of my ass, but you have to understand how a lot of Chinese mfg & shipping works. A lot of times you have to order in large allotments and you have to ship in full containers across the water which takes 8-12 weeks. All of that adds up to money tied up in inventory that doesn't give you the best gross margin roi.

I hope that helps you guys grok it. People are so quick to call Nintendo incompetent etc or to say they don't get it, and for a lot things they're right, but making products is very complex and difficult and Nintendo isn't that big of a company where they can risk a huge hit on inventory like they did with the Animal Crossing Amiibo etc.

And yes I like espousing whatever garbage knowledge I have on the internet while taking a shit at work or waiting for a report to finish running. Doesn't mean some of us shouldn't share our expertise.

I could stick my head up a bull's ass to get a good look at a steak, but I'd much rather take the butcher's word on it.
See, that figure makes far more sense. Maybe it’s higher, maybe it’s lower, and maybe you’re right about some of the reasons why they opted to dump this model and move on but regardless, what you’ve posted is not only far more nuanced and demonstrative of somebody far more knowledgeable about production than me but you’ve also given me a profit margin that actually aligns with logic.

That said, I do think you overestimate Nintendo’s business acumen, which I address in another post, but regardless, I do sincerely appreciate the insight.

I’ll say it again: You know a hell of a lot more about manufacturing than I.

For anybody who found a NES classic at BB... Were they behind the counter or on display in the Nintendo section?

Instead of being antagonistic, I am going to suggest you consider the possibility that not all corporations employ the same criteria for how decisions are made and that the Japanese specifically have a very different philosophy in how and why they make business decisions.

For example, have you read the book Console Wars, which chronicles the 16-bit battle between Nintendo and Sega? That book provides copious insight into the many flawed methodologies and ideologies that caused both companies to make massive, objective errors.

Have you seen the myriad of missteps Nintendo has made over the course of the last three decades? Many of their decisions belie even a rudimentary understanding of business and they practically handed Sony their throats with choices that were clearly egregiously foolish even back then.

I don’t know why Nintendo is discontinuing a product that is clearly very successful but to assume that decision was predicated on sound business acumen is to largely ignore their history, which includes all sorts of blunders and missteps.
I can make thise assumptions for a couple of reasons, Nintendo is publicly traded in Japan and is thusly subject to using international accounting standards and methods and reporting requirements. That at the least means they use these methods to get costing and do analysis. It doesn't mena they make the right decisions alm the time, and it definitely doesn't mean their marketing teams don't fuck up.

However sourcing a book written about what happened 30 years ago, that only tangentially sources one side of the arguement, and generally pertains to people who no longer work at that company with decision making power is much less grounded in fact.

To people on the outside esoteric decisions based on financial analysis can look dumb and weird. Nintendo has proven one thing over decades if nothing else and that is a slavish adherence to strict and sound financial decisions. You can see that through their earnings reports and investors meetings. They are a conservative Japanese company which means they do shit a lot stricter than a lot of companies in the west. It also mean a lot of their decisions are going to seem wrong headed to us, but to th it keeps them fiscally secure.

I am not saying you are wrong to question them or wonder what the hell they are thinking. Nintnedo drives me crazy as a fan of a lot of their games, but I am trying to say don't assign stupidity or malice to a decision that usually driven by a hardline fiscally conservative decision makig process.

Also, I am glad we could pull the discussion back from
Being antagonistic, not trying to point fingers at anyone directly, but it is far too common and easy to blame them for being dumb and it happens too much on the internet. I usually ignore but if I can give some insight I will.

Its hard to not come off as an ass on the internet when you're explaining difficult shit since you can't get tone and context from my face and voice.

Now you're getting it! Stop being so easily triggered dude. It's the internet.
You're literally too dumb to see the irony, aren't you?

No worries. I actually had an interesting exchange with somebody who knows about manufacturing versus somebody like you, working in the back of Walmart and thinking that gives you expertise.

If you cleared 5$ on a product and sold 1.5 million as of two months ago-

7.5$ million in four months. Macroeconomics is built on small sums in large volume. They ARE banking on these. It's free money until demand disappears.

Folks arguing that there's no money made on these things are likely off.

I learned this in college. Not my original ideas.

If you cleared 5$ on a product and sold 1.5 million as of two months ago-

7.5$ million in four months. Macroeconomics is built on small sums in large volume. They ARE banking on these. It's free money until demand disappears.

Folks arguing that there's no money made on these things are likely off.

I learned this in college. Not my original ideas.
Not when the $30 million spent on that 1.5 in sales could have made more than 7.5 million. Thats how business actually operate, using accounting and financial principles not Macroeconomics.

But thats it, I am out. Done makin the thread a boring discussion on how many corporations work in the real world.

Need more funny gifs.

You don't understand what 5$ cleared means.

But correct that's more microeconomics on a world scale.

i call for a NES classic thread ban
But Nintendo runs on salt. They used to run on the hopes and dreams of their fans hoping for a sequel to whatever, but now they've discovered a greater power source in people being all bitter and angry about not getting their products and constantly refreshing pages to argue their point.

I can make thise assumptions for a couple of reasons, Nintendo is publicly traded in Japan and is thusly subject to using international accounting standards and methods and reporting requirements. That at the least means they use these methods to get costing and do analysis. It doesn't mena they make the right decisions alm the time, and it definitely doesn't mean their marketing teams don't fuck up.

However sourcing a book written about what happened 30 years ago, that only tangentially sources one side of the arguement, and generally pertains to people who no longer work at that company with decision making power is much less grounded in fact.

To people on the outside esoteric decisions based on financial analysis can look dumb and weird. Nintendo has proven one thing over decades if nothing else and that is a slavish adherence to strict and sound financial decisions. You can see that through their earnings reports and investors meetings. They are a conservative Japanese company which means they do shit a lot stricter than a lot of companies in the west. It also mean a lot of their decisions are going to seem wrong headed to us, but to th it keeps them fiscally secure.

I am not saying you are wrong to question them or wonder what the hell they are thinking. Nintnedo drives me crazy as a fan of a lot of their games, but I am trying to say don't assign stupidity or malice to a decision that usually driven by a hardline fiscally conservative decision makig process.

Also, I am glad we could pull the discussion back from
Being antagonistic, not trying to point fingers at anyone directly, but it is far too common and easy to blame them for being dumb and it happens too much on the internet. I usually ignore but if I can give some insight I will.

Its hard to not come off as an ass on the internet when you're explaining difficult shit since you can't get tone and context from my face and voice.
Well, you’ve made some damn solid points and it’s always good to pull back and consider different scenarios and points of view.

I slam Nintendo A LOT but there is no arguing with their sustained profits and continued solvency.

Also, I appreciate knowledge and to pretend I know your business would be disingenuous and disrespectful. What I know about manufacturing logistics would fit on a Post-It.

So again, thanks for the education. :)

But Nintendo runs on salt. They used to run on the hopes and dreams of their fans hoping for a sequel to whatever, but now they've discovered a greater power source in people being all bitter and angry about not getting their products and constantly refreshing pages to argue their point.
Do you think most people actually spend much time actually playing the NES Classic?

I think it's a cool little device but honestly, if I found one to buy, I think I'd play it for twenty minutes and move on.

How else are we gonna learn about mortgage calculation, the morality of scalping, and the manufacturing process?

I learned so many big words.

Too soon?

QuPfIm1.jpg

Anyways, has anyone contacted BB this week to see if they are holding NES classic till the 24th? I have a feeling some will sell them before that date.

I was at Best Buy when they opened. The manager double checked inventory and said they had none. She said if they do get some tho it's standard for BB to hold it for a certain date. Her guess was the 24th but she said they still haven't gotten any.

Do you think most people actually spend much time actually playing the NES Classic?

I think it's a cool little device but honestly, if I found one to buy, I think I'd play it for twenty minutes and move on.
I Think most people buy it just to force their childhood on their kids. Kids gotta know of about frustration, limited lives and game developers who hate children.

Glad I kept mine. I was offered $125 for it a few times and boy glad I didn't take it. I didn't sell because I knew nintendo would discontinue it because why would they want a product like this which is easy to hack with all the games & have it cutting into their virtual console market $5-10 games which require no extra hardware or stocking to worry about. Made no sense financially & not even sure why they released it to begin with. At any rate I expect these things will be bring so much money by Christmas it is going to take scalpers to a whole new level giving them more incentive and $$$ to hoard up the next popular nintendo product.

You're literally too dumb to see the irony, aren't you?

No worries. I actually had an interesting exchange with somebody who knows about manufacturing versus somebody like you, working in the back of Walmart and thinking that gives you expertise.
Funny. Because he writes he has 15 years in the business you suddenly take what he said as proof positive of what I'm saying yet you discredit my points because you think I have no knowledge of manufacturing.

The irony is that you write novels in response to the smallest button-pushing, and yet I'm the one easily triggered?

Go back to whatever gutter you came from.

How else are we gonna learn about mortgage calculation, the morality of scalping, and the manufacturing process?

I learned so many big words.
I agree. This thread was probably about everything BUT the NES Classic being in stock at GS or BB.

It was like its own off-topic sub-sub-forum.

Where are you getting this from?

There’s nothing to the NES classic hardware and Nintendo owns most of the games loaded onto it. The stuff they don’t own is ancient and I’d be shocked if the licensing fees they pay out are anything substantial.

And even if they were, they could just as easily release newer units with different games, inserting their own software instead of third party titles.

I’m willing to bet Nintendo was spending maybe 10-15 bucks per unit, licensing fees included. And that’s a highball estimate.
So, your postulation is that Nintendo – a company that has always released hardware with solid profit margins – decided to abandon this precept for a retro-console for no apparent reason other than just for the hell of it?

Really?

As to research and development, there is no notable R&D cost for this product because it’s a BASIC, CHEAP EMULATOR wrapped up in a nostalgic little NES package utilizing existing ROMs. The deign trajectory you allude to in regards to this product literally does not exist.

The rest of your inane blather about manufacturing costs is obvious to the point of banality but does nothing to negate one very prominent and irrefutable point:

The notion that Nintendo was only making five dollars per unit materialized entirely from your ass and is thusly without substantiation.

Clearly, Nintendo wouldn’t have bothered releasing something like this for such a tiny profit margin, especially because it was intended to be closed box and has no ancillary sales potential save the extra controller. The console itself was the revenue stream so clearly, it was manufactured and sold to be a hell of a lot more profitable than five bucks per unit. (Which again is a number you simply conjured up.)

Also, did you really just try and factor in advertising costs?

There was no advertising for this thing.

Like, literally none.
That seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. They weren't planning on making this a long term product but regardless, I doubt they weren't making a solid profit per unit, otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered given the limited run.

Hopefully they approach the SNES classic with a better strategy.
Oh, we’re doing lists now.

Well allow me to retort using your modality.

1. I responded specifically to your bullshit claim that the NES Classic would only net Nintendo a five-dollar profit, which is not only entirely unsubstantiated but would also represent a massive paradigm shift for a company that has always – almost without exception – made significant profits on hardware. Even more interesting is that nowhere in my post do I mention – either directly or indirectly – anything about why they stopped manufacturing it. You either cannot hold the central thread of this discussion in focus or you’re trying to deflect now.

2. For my words to be superfluous, they’d have to be entirely unnecessary, yet my words do precisely as intended and communicate my point and they do so in a relatively concise and truncated manner, so either you don’t know what that word actually means or your grasp is so tenuous as to have caused you to misuse it. Also, attacking my wordplay is trite and juvenile, especially when nothing I’ve written is particularly erudite.

3. As to proof, I have the storied and documented history of the company as well as hardware breakdowns of the NES Classic, such as this: http://gizmodo.com/the-new-mini-nes-guts-are-just-a-tiny-linux-computer-1788664102

I don’t pretend to be an expert in such things but there is at least some measure of common sense and logic that would suggest Nintendo didn’t go through all of this trouble for a few bucks per unit, especially given what’s actually inside the box coupled with the company’s philosophy on profit.

But it’s fine if you want to keep waxing intellectual because I can bust up bloviates like you all day.
Found the idiot!

You have no idea what you're talking about dude. Margins are thin on this product, known by anyone who went to business school, works in manufacturing, or is familiar with OMS and the costs associated with materials, manufacturing, licensing, shipping, and retail. Give it a rest.

If I had to wager they probably made ~$10-15 per unit.
Bingo. This is exactly what it was. I'm leaning closer to $10, too.

If you've been following the industry climate and reading articles since last year you'd know that the NES classic was very much a tide-you-over release by Nintendo, so that they'd have something to offer during the holiday season. Keeping Nintendo and their brands relevant until the Switch release. The factory resources spent making these classics simply aren't worth it anymore. Nintendo needs to put all of their factory contracts towards making Switches and peripherals.

You can count on the alleged SNES mini being msrp $100 as well.

Considering selling my NES classic now with the SNES classic rumor

To do eBay and risk charge back or craigslist to possibly be scammed/fake money/robbed. That is the question.

Even used the sucker is going for $240.

Can't imagine how much profit the scalpers are raking in on Nintendo's inabilty to produce more.Gheeze.

Well Shrike was the only hardass on here that really did anything, but if you can't beat'em, join'em. ;)

Quite honestly though, us trolls police well enough and run off a majority of crytits that slip on their own drool around here. Since it has become more lax and chill on this site, there really hasn't been any huge issues that I've seen.

Even if Nintendo decides to produce way more SNES units than the NES; pandora's box has already been opened.  

Everyone and their grandma knows about this and scalpers will be even more vicious this time around.

Even if Nintendo decides to produce way more SNES units than the NES; pandora's box has already been opened.

Everyone and their grandma knows about this and scalpers will be even more vicious this time around.
Perhaps. But it's going to be much harder to scalp with a bigger supply and (if it has) a $100 price tag. I don't think it will be as big of an issue. Nintendo obviously left money on the table with the first NES classic.

I think it could possibly end up more like the Amiibo issue where they went from impossible to get to too many on shelves. Ample supply will kill the resellers.

Do I have confidence that Nintendo will nail that? No. Honestly they should start a preorder campaign right after E3, take preorders for a solid month, and then place their first mfg run based solely on preorders plus 10-20% give or take. That way everyone who wants one can preorder it in that month at any partner retailer, and Nintendo gets a full 2-3 months to deliver the product by November.

Like thats one thing I don't get with this industry, stuff like Amiibo, Nes Classic, PSVR whatever it is can be guaged pretty smartly using good marketing and by enforcing a months long preorder campaign. Yeah preordering sucks but in instances like this you can almost perfectly match your supply to initial demand. You can manage inventory costs better, schedule mfg better. But its like the companies refuse to work like this with retailers, and instead hew to the old ways and trusting that buyers have a fucking clue on what they need to order.

Is the illuminati responsible for the cancellation of the NES Classic? #sandyhook #goldmansachs #whitepeoplerealminorities #911 #hentaibodypillow

The government wanted Ninty to walk away from the money, cuz the Classic could not only run ROMs it could also be used by North Korea!

Subscribe to my channnel...

bread's done
Back