YMMV: PSone LCD Combo $50 at Toys 'R' Us (LCD Monitor $35)

Unassuming Local Guy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Just for shits and giggles we stopped in TRU tonight. I noticed the Sony LCD monitor was $35 and was this close to picking it up when my girlfriend noticed the combo was only $50. She ended up buying it for me as an early birthday present. So here I sit, Strikers 1945 in my lap, giddy as a school girl.

The TRU was the one on Alexis RD in Toledo, OH. They had two combo's left that I could see through the "game storage window" and three or four LCD monitors.

San Diego CAGs

Toys R Us on Mira Mesa BLVD.
The screen is going for $49.98 and they have 5 in stock. No combos.

$75 for the combo at my TRU, pretty sure the screen was $38.

are these included in the Green Tag sale? Didn't see that mentioned, but if so, it would be a great price either.

How big is the screen? Would I be able to play text RPGs (no voice) on the screen? How about shooters like Halo 2? Has anyone played any current games on one of these screens?

It's 5 inches. I have no problem playing games like Ridge Racer Revolution, extreme sports games, and puzzle games on the system. I'm not sure about RPG's though.

If anyone can get one 50.00 or under I will easily pay for it, and extra for your time as well, i dont care if the package was opened so long as it is new. Thanx in advance

I play only RPGs on the screen and have no problem at all. The text is extremely clear and the sound quality is great.

so i got mine and just tried it out

it's messed up

i've heard of my problem before
just a very dark screen / bulb must be shot

i'll exchange it tomorrow and test it in the parking lot :p

Just got one from the Phillipsburg, NJ TRU. There were two left with no price listed. I had the guy check it, and sure enough it was $50. I grabbed one, but I haven't checked it out yet. Looks like a sweet little piece of technology though. Good deal!

Hopefully it works OK and the screen isn't messed up. I'll let you guys know what happens.

$119.98 here in Columbus, OH! \:D/

And yes, that's what it scanned at. The good news is they had two copies though!

Went across the street to Sears and they are selling the car adapters for $7.98. ](*,)

Well craps. I got one of these as a backup unit from Sears 2 weeks ago for $40. After reading about some of your experiences with non-working screens, I opened up this one and tried it. Sure enough: black screen. Guess I'm on my way to TRU tomorrow.

Even if you don't see the combo pack at your TRU, it might not hurt to ask. Tonight I went to a TRU who had the screen on sale for $35, but no bundle. I asked someone at customer service if they had any of the combos and after checking, they said no, but would sell the system and screen together for the price of the combo, $50. It boiled down to $49.99 for a PSOne and $0.01 for the screen.

Again, it's surely YMMV, but it's worth trying.

got mine for 39.99 plus tax..the flyer had it listed at 149.99..they werent sure and checked..finally got it..what good games should i get for psone?

Anyone who can find one of these for me be it 50.00 or under please PM me, I will pay extra as well for your time. Thank you in advance.

i called several places for the PSOne car adapter..tru is selling it for 20...ive seen the cheapest online is for 10 but from sites i never heard of before...i went on bestbuy.com but that 2.95 car adapter isnt listed under psone acessories..anyone know where i can find the cheapest price? also do they sell portable battery packs for the psone? thanks

For anyone who cannot find car adapters cheaper elsewhere, I have seen the Sony brand at Circuit City for $10.

how much is it for a mod chip to get installed in the psone...i have about 30 copied games for my old playstation that has a mod chip...ould it be hard to install a mod chip on the psone?

I would suggest not getting a car adapter unless it is the Sony one. I plugged some 3rd-party adapter in and it played fine for like two minutes, then my screen went very light, and the adapter started smelling like it was burning. So I trashed it. Thankfully no damage to my system. I may have to check CC, $10 is about the most I'll pay for a car adapter.

I'm also curious to thoughts about any battery packs, since Sony doesn't make any. What's the best?

[quote name='Wshakspear']Novi TRU is cleaned out. 1 screen left, and its now mine for "Fusing" with my cube[/quote]

How exactly would you go about fusing this to a GC?

[quote name='Vicious']I had no luck with this. If anybody can pick this up for me, I'll pay through PP[/quote]

I've had no luck either here in IL. I might check one more store, but I am not counting on it being cheap! Damn!

[quote name='neonglow'][quote name='Wshakspear']Novi TRU is cleaned out. 1 screen left, and its now mine for "Fusing" with my cube[/quote]

How exactly would you go about fusing this to a GC?[/quote]

Basically, buying a used cube, drilling/cutting holes into screen/cube, splicing cables, getting a nice paint job. EXACTLY how? i dont know yet, but it sounds fun learning how.

i checked up today.. (start am 9 - finished pm 4) :( ... i check my area (5 toysrus and 4 sears:( ) but they got only screens.. 39.98$... they doesn't have combo..also ps1 but when i check up last store(sears) rang up 28.84$+tax -5$off i use coupon.. so i just paid...23.84+tax.. last sears also have ps1 .. but they said " they can't make combo price..that's sux.LA CA

Our TRU has them for $44.99 (rung up price).

But I did check EB, and you can get them used there for $29.99, provided you can find one in stock and in good condition. GMR discount should apply as well. Good luck, though. No EB's in my area had them.

[quote name='shrike4242']Defiance_17 found me one at $39.99, and it should be on the way to me soon.[/quote]

defiance_17 found him the last one at $39.98, so he can't get anymore. He's sorry, but stop PMing him! :)

[quote name='defiance_17'][quote name='shrike4242']Defiance_17 found me one at $39.99, and it should be on the way to me soon.[/quote]

defiance_17 found him the last one at $39.98, so he can't get anymore. He's sorry, but stop PMing him! :)[/quote]

Wow, sorry, didn't know it was the last one. :shock:

Here I was trying to be nice to my fellow CAGs and I find out that I'm the lucky last one.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='defiance_17'][quote name='shrike4242']Defiance_17 found me one at $39.99, and it should be on the way to me soon.[/quote]

defiance_17 found him the last one at $39.98, so he can't get anymore. He's sorry, but stop PMing him! :)[/quote]

Wow, sorry, didn't know it was the last one. :shock:

Here I was trying to be nice to my fellow CAGs and I find out that I'm the lucky last one.[/quote]

Yeah, I PMed him the other day trying to get one. Oh well. Anyhow, three cheers for defiance_17 for getting what he could for CAGs -- as far as I'm concerned, that is what the site is about.

I really wish I could have picked up more. They had a ton of slips, but nothing to back them up with. I nabbed the last two on Saturday night, but one was the display copy (of course they didn't tell me this when I bought it). It was yellow and dirty and scuffed up and had a copy of March Madness 99 inside...oh, and it was missing the AC adapter.

Still looking for one guys. If anybody gets an extra one please LMK. You ur will get paid for price + tax + shipping in full, and of course extra for your money.

[quote name='escapekey']Our TRU has them for $44.99 (rung up price).

But I did check EB, and you can get them used there for $29.99, provided you can find one in stock and in good condition. GMR discount should apply as well. Good luck, though. No EB's in my area had them.[/quote]

Has what? The LCD screen or the Console Bundle? Let us know.

for anyone who picked up the bundle w/ the screen (or just the screen itself), I have a brand new car adaptor for trade in my CAG tradelist.

today i was at target and found PSone combo. it costs 79.99. it comes with the system and 3 ps1 games. i dont remember exact name of hte games. crash, cool boarders, and ..... i dont remember.

I just picked up the Combo for $49.98 myself. What a great deal!!
I got mine at the TRU in Woodbury, MN. They had about 10 more for anyone else that's interested.

Anyone know if there is any remedy for dark or black screens. I thought that my hook-ups were bad, but I think that this screen may be shot. Any suggestions, besides wisecracking comments to return it.

[quote name='trunks982']today i was at target and found PSone combo. it costs 79.99. it comes with the system and 3 ps1 games. i dont remember exact name of hte games. crash, cool boarders, and ..... i dont remember.[/quote]

Yeah i saw it yesterday too, $30 for gamesa that really should cost 10 altogether

[quote name='lurknomore']Anyone know if there is any remedy for dark or black screens. I thought that my hook-ups were bad, but I think that this screen may be shot. Any suggestions, besides wisecracking comments to return it.[/quote]

to be honest, try the two buttons on the left (speciffically the right one) to get it brighter, as well as different angles effect how it looks. Im guessing you screen is shot though

EDIT: That 3rd game was Stuart Little

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='lurknomore']Anyone know if there is any remedy for dark or black screens. I thought that my hook-ups were bad, but I think that this screen may be shot. Any suggestions, besides wisecracking comments to return it.[/quote]

to be honest, try the two buttons on the left (speciffically the right one) to get it brighter, as well as different angles effect how it looks. Im guessing you screen is shot though[/quote]

Yup, I tried it every which way...and it really shouldn't take this much effort. You know. Anyhow, I have to see if TRU still has something left for me.

my lcd screen works fine, but anyone notice the brightness button..even if i press it all the way, w/ full bars...i dont really notice any change..same if its down to no bars at all...other than that the screen looks great..best $40 i've spent

For those who have faulty LCD screens that don't "light up":

I experienced the same problem a few months ago when Target was clearing out their screens and combos. I even sold one to a fellow CAG that was DOA on arrival.

I was able to send the fellow CAG my receipt which he then used to do a warranty exchange with Sony. As far as I know, it was a pretty simple process.

Well, after that, I opened my other screen and surprise surprise, it did not light up either. I didn't have much to lose, so I got out the screwdriver and disassembled the case. After looking at the innards, I put it back together and IT WORKED!

I never figured out exactly what I did, but the screen was fixed. Many of the screens have been on the shelf for well over a year and have probably been subjected to various abuses as they were moved lower and lower on the shelves.

Conclusion: Check your screen for any loose connections before you panic. If you know what you're doing, open it up and tighten it up.

I finally opened up my LCD combo and I am a little disappointed with it.

I like the overall size and the console itself is almost totally silent. The sound from the tiny speakers is more capable than I expected. The screen is bright and I have zero bad pixels.

My main complaint is that some games look odd on it. Text in games is usually wacked, especially if the letters are drawn one pixel wide. It makes some letters look all distorted. For example, if there was the word "food" on the screen, part of the second "o" will be shifted one pixel over, causing that "o" to be extra wide. This is probably caused by the low resolution of the screen. Also, in games that scroll, there is very noticable blurring, which is to be expected with older LCDs. Another complaint is 5" is just a tad too small for my comfort.

Maybe Sony will come up with a nice 7" screen with higher resolution and

bread's done
Back