YMMV: PSone LCD Combo $50 at Toys 'R' Us (LCD Monitor $35)

Unassuming Local Guy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Just for shits and giggles we stopped in TRU tonight. I noticed the Sony LCD monitor was $35 and was this close to picking it up when my girlfriend noticed the combo was only $50. She ended up buying it for me as an early birthday present. So here I sit, Strikers 1945 in my lap, giddy as a school girl.

The TRU was the one on Alexis RD in Toledo, OH. They had two combo's left that I could see through the "game storage window" and three or four LCD monitors.

What games are you playing on it? PS1 games? I noticed they looked kinda crappy on the screen...mainly because they looked kinda crappy anyways. I've been playing Wind Waker for the last 2 days (finally going to beat the damn game...) and have had no graphical problems, and the text is easily readible, no matter what siZe

[quote name='Slimeyface']went by a TRU that had only screens left

are they rly worth it at 35 bux?[/quote]

Yes and no. Chances are, there will be newer LCD screens to be released in the near future of better quality. Why else would there be a PStwo? Obviously though, you'll be paying a bit more, but they will be more reliable, chances are.

for the PStwo, they will probably be a bit bigger, but quality wise, it'll bne hard to make the screen itself look nicer

Screens were $34.98 at the TRU (that time forgot, you still have to pull tickets to buy games!) in Vienna, West Virginia.
Combos were $50 something.
Don't ask me what I was doing there.
Just don't.

[quote name='Wshakspear']What games are you playing on it?[/quote]

So far I have tried Tekken, Raiden Project, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tekken has very obvious text distortion. I notice it right away while playing the Galaga start up game. Even the large in-game bubble letters have bulges. Tactics also has very obvious text distortion. I notice it right away in numbers. Raiden Project really brings out the blurriness due to the scrolling. I pause the game and the image looks really nice. Unpause, and it becomes blurry and actually strains my eyes after a while.

You can notice the text funkiness right away on the PlayStation start up logo text. The LCD just doesn't seem to have the resolution to display text very well.

I just picked one up for 35 bucks, and I hooked up to the Gamecube to play Paper Mario 2. I had no problems whatsoever with the text. It looks very, very bright and also very sharp. Its worth the money.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Screens were $34.98 at the TRU (that time forgot, you still have to pull tickets to buy games!) in Vienna, West Virginia.
Combos were $50 something.
Don't ask me what I was doing there.
Just don't.[/quote]
I live in Athens, Ohio, and yet this is the closest TRU, so I went there. They now have 2 LCD screens left (I Bought one) but no combos :(

EDIT: Wait a minute... the LCD screens are only $22.48 there.

Check at the Rockford, IL TRU and they only had the screens but they're $50. They didn't have any PSone + screen combo.

[quote name='Engineer_J']Here in Dallas one the TRU in Mesquite had over 10 PS1 combos for $40, picked one up for myself :)[/quote]

Can you pick up one for me? I will gladly pay you for your troubles.

I would but unless you sent me the check and it was still in stock, I couldn't afford to get it right now, spent all my money this weekend :(, sorry

My TRU, for some ungodly reason, still says it's 109.99, which is bull. If anyone can snag an extra, or has an extra, pm me.

I've got solid rep on digitalpress.com

[quote name='Engineer_J']Here in Dallas one the TRU in Mesquite had over 10 PS1 combos for $40, picked one up for myself :)[/quote]

Hey! Im in dallas also, could you please inform me what location this PS1 Combo is at. Would GREATLY appretiate it. Thanks!

[quote name='grayfox']My TRU, for some ungodly reason, still says it's 109.99, which is bull. If anyone can snag an extra, or has an extra, pm me.

I've got solid rep on digitalpress.com[/quote]

take it to the register for a price check. Ignore the posted prices at tru and especially circuit city. Those stores dont bother updating their prices

I go tthe cable from radio shack and i got the couplers and on the psone screen it just shows a black screen?!?!? this is my setup, i connected the camcorder cable into the AV IN hole of the psone and then the end of that cable into the couplers then the xbox av cables go into the other end of that and it just shows a black screen,, wtf has this happened to anybody else?

[quote name='dracula'][quote name='grayfox']My TRU, for some ungodly reason, still says it's 109.99, which is bull. If anyone can snag an extra, or has an extra, pm me.

I've got solid rep on digitalpress.com[/quote]

take it to the register for a price check. Ignore the posted prices at tru and especially circuit city. Those stores dont bother updating their prices[/quote]

I did, I told her to ring it up, then I told her to check out it. Rang up 109.99. Bah. My luck, of course.

[quote name='Worldcup08'][quote name='Engineer_J']Here in Dallas one the TRU in Mesquite had over 10 PS1 combos for $40, picked one up for myself :)[/quote]

Hey! Im in dallas also, could you please inform me what location this PS1 Combo is at. Would GREATLY appretiate it. Thanks![/quote]

Check the toysrus.com site, it is on 635 near I-30, by the mall in Mesquite

[quote name='Worldcup08']Thanks! Ill probably go pick noe up tommarow. I called and everything seems to be in order.[/quote]

Can you pick a combo up for me? I will gladly pay you for your troubles. ;)

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Decided to check this out at my local TRU today:

PSOne Combo Pack: $74.98

PSOne LCD Screen: $11.98, $13.06 after tax! :D[/quote]

Wow. Shall we assume you got the last one?

You would think the prices are all the same across the stores? I wonder why there is such a difference in the pricing. In this thread the price ranges from 11 - 35

Dustin

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='darkwingduck13']Decided to check this out at my local TRU today:

Wow. Shall we assume you got the last one?[/quote]

No, I did not get the last one, but I've already had two people I know personally that have asked me to pick one up for them...so after that, I'm not vouching that there'll be any left.

[quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='darkwingduck13']Decided to check this out at my local TRU today:

No, I did not get the last one, but I've already had two people I know personally that have asked me to pick one up for them...so after that, I'm not vouching that there'll be any left.[/quote]

Well, if there are any extras, you could make some people here very happy.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='darkwingduck13']Decided to check this out at my local TRU today:

No, I did not get the last one, but I've already had two people I know personally that have asked me to pick one up for them...so after that, I'm not vouching that there'll be any left.[/quote]

Well, if there are any extras, you could make some people here very happy.[/quote]

When I go back, I'll see how many there are left...if any. They certainly haven't been flying off the shelves BEFORE today.
I just wish that combo had been the cheap-ass price. :(

I just called the mesquite store and they said they were out. So, does anyone know where there may be more in the Dallas/FW area?

The stores that I have called have really been no help. I've been on hold with an average of 10 minutes at each store I have called.

My TRU is sold out - could really use a combo for my night audit work 11P-7A. If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful. Thanks.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']hey madd u need to switch ur cords

If you reverse these plugs, the screen will remain black, and you will have a negative reaction to the whole thing wereby you got your hopes up. If you plug them in to the right sides then ...

thats from this faq http://theinfamousj.dreamhost.com/archives/000110.html[/quote]

thanks but,the screen wasnt working properly it didnt show any video so i returned it already, it was making my brain hurt, heh

I got one of these sceens cheap but i have no PSOne, does anybody have any jury-rigged stand ideas to share.

None left in Vallejo, Stockon, or Modesto (CA).

I did see some laughably cheap original GBA accessories, though ($0.48 for a magnifier/light combo).

Still looking for a combo psone and LCD. If anyone finds a spare one at this cheapass price I will be glad to compensate them. ;)

bread's done
Back