Your biggest let-down this gen?

[quote name='TC']MechAssault 2

I played the hell out of MA1 on LIVE. In fact most of my friends list is still made up of people who I met playing MA1. Instead of simply adding a mech builder and adding some new maps the developers churned out an abortion that none of us played a week after its release.[/quote]

Mechassualt 2 is still widely played online to this day... and it's a great game too.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Gamecube

I've played it at least a certain amount but it is easily the current gen system I use the least.[/QUOTE] For me it's the most used, followed by the ps2 (due to owning it first, mostly), a finally the xbox in a distant 3rd.

Conker for the Xbox was really disappointing. I'm still willing to play it though.

Also True Crime: Streets of LA was a HUGE dissapointment.

I heard 'Enter the Matrix' was a dissapointment to all my friends but I never played the game. I haven't seen that mentioned here though...

Socom 3 was the biggest let down.

Played Socom 2 online nonstop for a year, and they screwed up the online in 3 so bad.

cps2's-appleidog;2284124]Not that it was my biggest dissapointment but the xbox sucked and i like how the majority of the games on your list are xbox. my biggest dissapointment was probably wave race blue storm said:
Damn it, you took my answer.

My Gamecube hasn't been plugged in since Resident Evil 4 came out.

This is the main reason I'm waiting on the Wii, I wasn't a fan of the direction the N64 or GC went in and I need to see for myself if history is going to repeat itself for me.
My GC has been plugged in, but I cannot deny that if Tales of Symphonia came stateside for PS2 (to basically cancel out what really helps my GC against the competition), my GC would have struggled even worse than it already did (Too much of the stuff disappointed me, and only a few certain third party games did good). I'll admit that I liked the 3rd party games on GC better, but I felt the quality of Nintendo's first party games went downward, compared to N64 (which I was also extremely disappointed in, due to lacking games in most all my favorite genres).

That's the same reason as to why I'm not excited one bit about the Wii right now, due to being disappointed with the GC and N64.

Metroid Prime - Huge Metroid fan, love all of them except metroid prime 1 and 2. Hate the FPS aspect of it.

Final Fantasy X-2 - Like the battle system but hated the story.

Zelda Wind Waker - Too easy and sailing parts was really boring.

Conker on the Xbox...wth was this, blood and gore and him shooting. I wanted them to keep his Diddy Kong Racing attitude...I've always liked the character but I absolutely hate how they represent him. In my opinion they could make a truly great platformer out of him, like Jak, Ratchet, or Mario style.

Also Tales of Symphonia...I was expecting a game I'd absolutely love, but do to the STORY I didn't really like it. More of a let-down due to the hype.

Oh and I thought Sunshine was awesome and Luigis mansion too, Double Dash was also great as I had a lot of fun with my siblings that are younger and can't really play good. I'd always give them the back and narrate =p

[quote name='Spades22']
Also Tales of Symphonia...I was expecting a game I'd absolutely love, but do to the STORY I didn't really like it. More of a let-down due to the hype.
[/quote]Sounds more like a let-down due to horrible taste in RPGs. ;)

[quote name='Spades22']Conker on the Xbox...[/quote]With the complaints you listed, it sounds like your complaint is more with the original game and not the remake.

ZELDA WIND WAKER - the frickin sailing... WHY?!?!? This could have been MUCH more entertaining than it was. It felt like a chore where other parts of the game were pretty cool. Plus the art style and direction was a let down after the E3 showing of the "adult" Ocarina of Time style Link battling Ganon. Then they did the bait and switch and showed us the cartoony video of the winking cartoony link a year or so later. BLARGH! Fan boys rioted in the streets.

THE DEATH OF WORKING DESIGNS - Im probably in the minority but was deathly disappointed in their demise. Alot of people didnt like their localizations: well fine. But I found their farking with the scripts and Americanizing them to be hilarious. In jokes and so forth went over big with me. And potty humor? Bring it on. Im sick of dry stories like Baiten Katos and whatnot. Zzzzzz

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']ZELDA WIND WAKER - the frickin sailing... WHY?!?!? This could have been MUCH more entertaining than it was. It felt like a chore where other parts of the game were pretty cool. Plus the art style and direction was a let down after the E3 showing of the "adult" Ocarina of Time style Link battling Ganon. Then they did the bait and switch and showed us the cartoony video of the winking cartoony link a year or so later. BLARGH! Fan boys rioted in the streets.[/QUOTE]I see many others listing the game also. It was another GC game I was disappointed in; however, I haven't really been a Zelda fan over the years. The long sailing really hurt the game (I found Suikoden IV sailing more entertaining, because at least I battled along the way).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I see many others listing the game also. It was another GC game I was disappointed in; however, I haven't really been a Zelda fan over the years. The long sailing really hurt the game (I found Suikoden IV sailing more entertaining, because at least I battled along the way).[/QUOTE]

Zelda is one of the series I'll always love in 2D more. While Wind Waker was a drag, I was awed by Minish Cap on GBA.

My biggest let down was the newer RPG games. I mean come on could they not make them any more boring then they allready are. When you put them on a lower case level side by side you will see that RPG's of the previous years was so sweet compard to the ones of today.

The Megaman colection for GBA is a let down since they never released it.

Then the fact that Nintend could ahve played the enhance the GCN game like the N64 but instead they dicided to drop the GCn and pull this Weed crap.

Also the 360 is crap and so is the X-Box. They have games on the X-Box that looks like swiss cheese formt he Win95 days.

The NDS is cool I guess but the PSP is just dumb. For a standard handheld it pretty much match the Gameboy Advance but the Wii gives a new twist on things. Maybe thanks to the Wii somebody will become a great doctor and not a Hunter who played duck hunt.

Also the fact they are trying to push E3 into NY is scary. I mean god almighty NYC is one big grease spot. Move it to Seattle and have tours at the work place.

Lastly whatever happen to when games was in brilliant cases with artwork instead of some plastic case. The PSX, Sega Saturn and the N64 was probably the last good systems around. When I buy these games I feel like I am wasting my money for plastic.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']ZELDA WIND WAKER - the frickin sailing... WHY?!?!? This could have been MUCH more entertaining than it was. It felt like a chore where other parts of the game were pretty cool. Plus the art style and direction was a let down after the E3 showing of the "adult" Ocarina of Time style Link battling Ganon. Then they did the bait and switch and showed us the cartoony video of the winking cartoony link a year or so later. BLARGH! Fan boys rioted in the streets.[/QUOTE]
I agree with Wind Waker being a let down. I couldn't even make it all the way through the game, between all the sailing and them trying to make the game artificially longer by making you get all those tri-force pieces...the game felt more like work when it should have been the opposite.

Lol ya I admit I hated conkers bad fur day AND Conker for Xbox. I always remembered being so excited as a kid for like a year for a game I thought was called "Conker's Quest" Which I thought would be a donkey kong/super mario 64 mix platformer. Then Bad Fur Day came out, rated mature, and I actually rented it, and it was just...awful. I tried this one in a store as well and it sucked. Yep but its still a let down for this gen more. Gen before this I at least had diddy kong racing with him in it.

And for ToS...I mean it was great except for the story. The story is just too weird for me, I like them deep but not so...out there. I like more Fire Emblem type stories...or final fantasy

And I loved Wind Waker...probably one of my top games. I think I beat it about 4 times in 2-3 weeks... I would play it non-stop and loved it. I wasn't the person who always said the graphics sucked though...I was amazed when I first saw them in my Nintendo Power =P

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I actually like Final Fantasy X-2, and I thought it got a lot better after the halfway mark. I pretty much think of X and X-2 as one game.

That said, I was surprised that FFTA did not have a good storyline.

Hard to say really on my biggest disappointments.

I was disappointed some in FFX-2, but it isn't because I didn't like that game, I just loved FFX. Might be my favorite game I've ever played, so any sequal was bound to fail.

People disappearing in Morrowind was disappointing, only cause I loved the game so much, but to play for 60 hours, and now a critical person is gone, hurts the experience. Once again though, one of my favorite games this generation.

Shenmue II not selling well enough for a sequal. Come on, at least put something together Sega and wrap it up here.

Games with cliffhanger endings as a whole. I can live with Halo II doing it, since you know Halo III is coming. But, if you aren't sure your game will sell, make sure you wrap it up (like Episode IV in Star Wars) so if the sequals aren't made, it stands on it's own.

Tomb Raider- Angel of Darkness. I knew it would be bad. But, a family member went up and saw it for $10 at Blockbuster, bought it for me, and made me pay them back. I should have forced them to take it back, but I didn't. I was going to pay $5 for it, wish I had my other $5 back. I tired to force myself to like it (to the point where, at the disco, I was convinced it was getting better). It wasn't, I bailed 30 minutes later.

Pirates of the Caribbean. Suppose to be Sea Dogs II I believe. I wanted to like the game, but the difficulty scale ramped up way too fast (I heard it was way off-balance in reviews). In many ways, if felt like Morrowind lite, having many of the issues of Morrowind, but the pluses just weren't there.

The Death of the Shooters: Sure, there way R-Type Final, Ikaruga and Gradius V, but where are the old school shooters. Will there be any in the next generation (I sure hope so).

But, overall, I don't think I ever had that one moment this generation where I was truely crushed, where I hoped that something would be great, and then it really wasn't.

[quote name='lordxixor101']People disappearing in Morrowind was disappointing, only cause I loved the game so much, but to play for 60 hours, and now a critical person is gone, hurts the experience.[/quote]Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some sort of warning that comes up after killing a critical character? Unless you played for 60 hours without saving, you could just load up your last save. Better than starting over, even if you hadn't saved for a couple of hours.

[quote name='megabadd']I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I actually like Final Fantasy X-2, and I thought it got a lot better after the halfway mark. I pretty much think of X and X-2 as one game.

That said, I was surprised that FFTA did not have a good storyline.[/quote]

FF X-2 is a great game.

My biggest disappointment was also my biggest surprise.

kill.switch

The game was so close to being a true great (the combat was VERY satisfying), but the save system really is awful. I still love the game, but a little more work would have made it superb.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some sort of warning that comes up after killing a critical character? Unless you played for 60 hours without saving, you could just load up your last save. Better than starting over, even if you hadn't saved for a couple of hours.[/QUOTE]

It's been awhile, so forgive me if I get something wrong. Spoilers below also, so please don't read if you don't want to hear:

During one of the final Thieves Guild missions, you have to go to one of the Vivic Cantons (the temple canton maybe) to visit someone to complete the mission. This is the same person you have to talk to during the main quest to talk to Vivic. Well, he wasn't there during the Theives Guild mission. I haven't gotten to that point in the main quest (read ahead in the book), but I can't beat the main quest the right way without having him.

So, I didn't kill him. If I did, then it's on me, not the game. He just isn't there. I've read guides, asked online, he just isn't there.

As I said, I loved this game, probably put in 150 hours into it in total, usually playing it for 3-4 weeks, then taking 6 months to a year off, then going back. With a game that big, there will be bugs. I can live with them, but when they are huge ones that crush you late in a game (and I went back to previous saves, and he wasn't there either), it takes the poverbial wind out of your sales, sort of speak.

Final Fantasy X & X2- Compared to the PS1 games, these came off as too linear. Also was disappointed that they didn't change the battle system for FFX, since it was the same battle system they used since FFVII. Didn't like FFX-2's garment grid, it was annoying to switch clothes in the middle of battle cause I want to heal.

Star Fox Adventures- It had potential to be like a Legend of Zelda game, but felt it leaned too heavily on keys and dungeons. Even Wind Waker lightened up on that stuff compared to this game.

Sonic Heroes/ Shadow the Hedgehog/ Sonic Riders- instead of giving us a true sequel to Sonic Adventure 2, we get these three crappy spin-offs.

Jet Set Radio Future/ Shenmue 2- selling so poorly that they haven't even been given sequels. In Jet Set Radio's case, Sega has confirmed there will be no new JSR games.

WWE Games- for taking too long to upgrade to current gen consoles. Anyone who played Raw, Wrestlemania X8, Smackdown SYM & JBI knows what I mean with the lackluster graphics, terrible controls and mediocre season modes(even the N64 & PS1 WWF games had better season modes).

Final Fantasy X-2
State of Emergency (I bought into the hype)
Super Mario Sunshine
WrestleMania XXI
Metriod Prime (I tried...I really tried!)

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']
THE DEATH OF WORKING DESIGNS - Im probably in the minority but was deathly disappointed in their demise. Alot of people didnt like their localizations: well fine. But I found their farking with the scripts and Americanizing them to be hilarious. In jokes and so forth went over big with me. And potty humor? Bring it on. Im sick of dry stories like Baiten Katos and whatnot. Zzzzzz[/quote]Those people who bitches about the scripts need to shut up. Would they rather have not played the game at all? Working Designs was probably my second favorite RPG publisher of the PSOne/PS2 days, since they gave me such awesome games as Alundra, both Lunar's, and the vastly underrated Vanguard Bandits.

Those are all PS1 games. Except for Lunar, that's a re-release which was neutered from its original version.

They only released Growlanser, GunGriffon Blaze and Silpheed on the PS2. Not exactly a stellar lineup.

Their heyday were the SegaCD and TurboCD days. Once they started delaying Magic Knight Rayearth for 3 years, that was the beginning of the end.

We have Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and even more houses now that fill the gap that used to be Working Designs. They're better at putting things out regularly too.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Zelda is one of the series I'll always love in 2D more. While Wind Waker was a drag, I was awed by Minish Cap on GBA.[/QUOTE]I could say that I liked most of the 2D Zelda games, but I never liked a 3D Zelda. That's why I have no interest in Twilight Princess, no matter how good it looks graphically.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Jet Set Radio Future/ Shenmue 2- selling so poorly that they haven't even been given sequels. In Jet Set Radio's case, Sega has confirmed there will be no new JSR games.[/QUOTE]I agree with those too. I absolutely loved Jet Grind Radio on Dreamcast, and part of the reason I bought an Xbox was for JSRF. I didn't like JSRF anywhere near as much (actually, I don't really like it much) and I cannot trade the game (due to its extremely low value due to being a pack-in game).

I was a fan of the first Shenmue, but the 2nd one just didn't appeal to me, so I traded it in.

Biggest let-downs? Hmm, MLB 2K6 has to be right there. 2K5 was great, then 2K6 just stunk it up. Morrowind, because I couldn't get into it. I like RPGs, but this one didn't work for me.

As far as hardware, the PSPs loading times and the inability for people to port to the DS worth a crap.

Pretty much all the WWF/E games for XBox.

Biggest let-down from a sales standpoint - it's already been said, but having no more Jet Set Radio games for the forseeable future is a fucking crime.

Reality's Fringe;2281752]True Crime (thought this was going to be a badass GTA style game...not so much[/QUOTE]I weep for the un-loved Nick Kang. [quote name='Z-Saber']Why didn't I like the second campaign? I didn't like the arbiter side of the game at all. Very long and boring said:
Not as likeable, but I feel they did more for his story with the NPCs and such than they did for MC. And I grew to feel for him. A bit. Not a lot. But I'll say that I wanted to play as MC. I didn't like that much of the time, I wasn't allowed to.

I also hated how the game was originally an earth campaign, but they changed for some reason that escapes as of this post.
Definately. You really feel that towards the end when the game suddenly gives up and walks away and you're sitting there saying, "hey, where's my ending? don't I get to friggen get another Earth level at least??!"

What I disliked most was the treatment/rewriting of Cortana. She was cool in H1. Halo 2 watered her down way too much.

[quote name='msdmoney']The library level in Halo 1 was incredibly tedious.
I swear, I'm the only person on this planet who didn't have a problem with the Library.

But my number one let down is the .hack series. I was sucked in by the anime, even if it made zero sense.
Heh. My younger bro has just started the series. He watched some of .hack/whatever the short 12-episode seriest was and found Ouka to be a very likeable character for reasons I don't need to go into. So he started the game and... well I don't think she's even in the game series for one, but dang... I walked in as he was playing and talk about square rooms and flat empty environments.

[quote name='rabbitt']Normally, I'd say it everyone has an opinion, but this is ridiculous. How you can't recognize this as a pinnacle in gaming, I don't know. At least respect that RE4's gameplay is above that of 99.9% of other video games.[/QUOTE]
Eh. The guy doesn't like it. He hears gobs of hype about it and he doesn't enjoy it. That's a let-down. At least he's not being fake and a hypocrite and saying "Oh, it was the best thing ever" when inside he's saying to himself, "it's boring."

Me? I like the AI. The AIs brilliant. Graphics are about as nice as REremake. And it's longer than all other biohazard games. Other than that, I really don't like Leon... partly because I remember laughing at him whining all the time in RE2 and being a goof. Ada doesn't really fit in there and blah blah blah... still, character writing has often been weak in the franchise.

RE4 got a few GotY and it deserved it. But that doesn't mean it's flawless or that everyone is going to enjoy it.

[quote name='dastly75']Everyone mentions Halo2's ending but nobody mentions Half-Life 2's ending? [/QUOTE]
What didn't you like about HL2s ending?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Zelda is one of the series I'll always love in 2D more. While Wind Waker was a drag, I was awed by Minish Cap on GBA.[/QUOTE]I wasn't huge on Minish. It was better than Zelda DX (I know that's not current gen, but I'm only comparing zelda handhelds) but it did disappoint me. My favorite handheld zelda would have to be Four Swords as LttP is on of my all time favorite games.

As for personal disappointments I'll have to go with Shenmue II. Big time. The original was interesting and different. Shenmue II was really weak and a cop-out. "Left Right Left uhhhh uhhhh uhhh... We're putting it down here!" I'm moving boxes and books around with this moron who takes the longest possible route to go from A to C to D to G and finally to B.

Shenmue was supposed to be a believable "it could totally happen to this kid" story... And then the cave at the end killed it. I guess I'll go back to beating the crud out of poor Fuku-san.

I know I have more let-downs but I can't think straight right now. I'm all drugged up to fight this stoopid flu.

[quote name='dastly75']Everyone mentions Halo2's ending but nobody mentions Half-Life 2's ending?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='guinaevere']What didn't you like about HL2s ending?[/QUOTE]

Bless you Dastly75, that annoys the hell out of me too. Don't let anyone fool you - both endings are "What the hell, that's it??" endings, and at the same time both are perfectly acceptable. There's a double-standard here that people have where flaws in PC FPS games are overlooked, while console FPS games get ripped to shreds since they "aren't real FPS games."

Halo 2's ending was fine, and I'm sick of hearing people bitch about it. It's not like Halo 2 was a 4 hour game and you're suddenly staring at a credits screen. It leads into the next game perfectly. Half-Life 2's ending was even MORE abrupt as it essentially ends in the middle of an activity, but again, it's fine.

Wow, this thread pretty much dissovled into "What Highly-Rated game do you not like this generation"

My top ten let-downs:

1) Dreamcast dies before hitting the current-gen -- It was such an awesome system that rivaled the PS2 . . . for all of six months, then it died a horrible death.

2) WWF Smackdown! Just Bring It! -- Going from SD! 2 to 3 was like going from Super mario World to a 3-d version of the original (non-super) Mario Bros. Yes it looked better, but was completly stripped down.

3) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles -- It was supposed to be the start of a happy reunion between Nintendo & Square, but the end result was a cross-marketed bore.

4) Devil May Cry 2 -- Horrible sequal to one of the best action series ever.

5) PSP -- What should be an awesome protable system with tons of awesome triple A titles is nothing more than a mess.

[quote name='lordxixor101']
The Death of the Shooters: Sure, there way R-Type Final, Ikaruga and Gradius V, but where are the old school shooters. Will there be any in the next generation (I sure hope so).

[/QUOTE]

Well, there's always a chance they can pop up on XBLA / Wii Shopping Channel / Playstation Store.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Bless you Dastly75, that annoys the hell out of me too. Don't let anyone fool you - both endings are "What the hell, that's it??" endings, and at the same time both are perfectly acceptable. Half-Life 2's ending was even MORE abrupt as it essentially ends in the middle of an activity, but again, it's fine.[/QUOTE]Ah, I getchya.

I didn't care for H2's ending because like KOTOR2 it felt like they just said, "that'll do for now, let's go home."

HalfLife2 though, I feel different. You're right in that it is probably the most abrupt ending I can remember. But owing to the number of levels/stages and the time spent in the game, it didn't feel too short. Plus, HL has good writing and storytelling. The ending fit the series, IMO so I actually liked it.

Plus, I like when an author takes a chance with not wrapping up everything in a pretty package. Take the story which Hitchcock turned into the movie, The Birds. The ending doesn't explain what happened or why. I see taht as real to life. We don't always know why X happened. We can theorise about it, but often times people do things for inexplicable reasons. So when I come up to a story with such an ending, if the writing througout the story is solid enough, I won't see it as the author copping out.

Personal preferences. =)

huge letdowns this generation are.

zelda the wind wanker.
mario sunshine.

just shows nintendo should quit gaming for good.

Ico. It is crap even though about 99% of the people on these boards praise it. Don't give me the "it's great because of its beautiful art" argument. I bought a game and, as a game, it is crap.
Fable. It is good, but who wasn't disappointed after Peter Molyneaux praised it for so many things that didn't even make it to the game.
King Kong. All that praise and it's in 1st person. I should have known better than to play it. I hate the 1st person view.
Anything 1st person. Show me who I'm controlling. 1st person is the easy way out. No worries about how the character looks when it moves or how it reacts in different situations.
Rogue Ops and Splinter Cell. Why use 1st person controlls for an otherwise decent 3rd person adventure?

Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams on XBOX.

Everyone had hyped up the Silent Hill series as being "so scary" and "better than Resident Evil" so, being a huge RE fan, I had to see what the fuss was all about.

The game looked pretty, but it just plain SUCKED.

Running around a foggy town full of handicapped people trying to vomit on you is NOT SCARY.

Probably the highlight of the game for me was when Maria (?) joins you and I was like "I wonder if I can shoot her..." and I did and got game over. Hilarious.

And if anyone cares, YES, I DID finish the game and I still hated it.

That being said, I recently played through the first game on PS1 and enjoyed it a lot. I'll give 3 and 4 a shot eventually.

My biggest let down was Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I loved SoT to death and the sequal was just so blah compared to the first one. The literal gameplay was still fun, but the whole lets add ultra violence to make it sell better didn't sit well with me.

Super Mario Sunshine was somewhat dissappointing as well. Good game, but didn't feel like it had progressed from Mario 64.

Halo 2's single player, was a let down. Liked the story, but the gameplay was lacking. However, Halo 2's multiplayer on live being so much fun is probably my biggest suprise of the last generation. So I still love Halo 2.

[quote name='ragtop70']Ico. It is crap even though about 99% of the people on these boards praise it. Don't give me the "it's great because of its beautiful art" argument. I bought a game and, as a game, it is crap.[/quote]
I have to agree. My friend got it close to launch, played it once, and never tried it again.

I got a PS2 this summer and picked it up for ~$10 or $15 at a local shop. Played it for a few hours. It was a slow moving, awkwardly controlled game totally based around a protect mission, my single least favorite component of any game.

Yet ICO is an interesting anaomly for people in the Gameplay > Graphics argument. Very few games keep getting praised for their eye candy (or art style) after the inital "wow" buzz wares off and its seen that the game just doesn't play well. ICO tends to escape that negative vibe, but I'm not sure why. Is it because it's some kind of anti-game or something?

[quote name='richbastard']huge letdowns this generation are.
zelda the wind wanker.
mario sunshine.
just shows nintendo should quit gaming for good.[/quote]
You win at logic.

[quote name='ragtop70']Ico. It is crap even though about 99% of the people on these boards praise it. Don't give me the "it's great because of its beautiful art" argument. I bought a game and, as a game, it is crap.[/QUOTE]
I tried both it and Shadow of the Colossus, and quit both at around the 2-hour mark. I just couldn't get into either one -- despite their universal praise and innovative style. If something not fun for me to play, I won't waste my time. I also feel the same about Kingdom Hearts -- another fan favorite.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I tried both it and Shadow of the Colossus, and quit both at around the 2-hour mark. I just couldn't get into either one -- despite their universal praise and innovative style. If something not fun for me to play, I won't waste my time. I also feel the same about Kingdom Hearts -- another fan favorite.[/quote]
How far did you get in SotC? I understand if it's not for your style of game, but I loved it and felt it didn't suffer from ICOitis at all.

[quote name='daroga']How far did you get in SotC? I understand if it's not for your style of game, but I loved it and felt it didn't suffer from ICOitis at all.[/QUOTE]

I only played through the first two bosses. The camera bothered me, I didn't like having to start from scratch if I fell, and I was annoyed by all the travel time to get from one boss to another.

I don't really compare the two, except to say they were both highly touted, artistic games that I didn't get into. They were also both games I played while my wife watched, so it was actually unfun for two people simultaneously.

[quote name='daroga']

Yet ICO is an interesting anaomly for people in the Gameplay > Graphics argument. Very few games keep getting praised for their eye candy (or art style) after the inital "wow" buzz wares off and its seen that the game just doesn't play well. ICO tends to escape that negative vibe, but I'm not sure why. Is it because it's some kind of anti-game or something?

[/QUOTE]

it's not the graphics or story for me (though those are great)

it's all really cool environmental puzzles that make the game. I had a blast figuring them out.

bread's done
Back