ZACK & WIKI! 300k Sold! BUY!!! $29.99 Now! IGN: 9.0! 1UP: 9.0! NP: 9.0! GS: 8.5!

Can you hit enter a few times on those thumbnails, Zen? They're stretching the first pageout. It's great that you got the thumbnails working, but you still need to work on your skills with the enter button. ;)

[quote name='Sporophyte']So the source is obviously highly suspect, but on the latest Wiik in review Cassimasina, Bozon, and Chobot all say that this game is seriously awesome and a must buy. They are supposedly going to be giving it the same treatment they gave eternal darkness and pimping it non-stop in the hope that it sells. They've even been so bold as to call it one of their top 3 anticipated wii titles. I always take IGN with a large grain of salt, but I hope that this game is actually awesome.[/quote]I will buy it. Not because of them but because it looks awesome in spite of the shitty name. I do support their use of "Z&W" as the name.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Can you hit enter a few times on those thumbnails, Zen? They're stretching the first pageout. It's great that you got the thumbnails working, but you still need to work on your skills with the enter button. ;)[/quote]

Fixed homie!

Someone mentioned this, but here's a link, because citing Sources is NICE.

BUY ZACK & WIKI CAMPAIGN 2007

Not since Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on GameCube have we demanded that readers purchase a videogame, but the time has come (again) for us to take a stand. Capcom has a fantastic point-and-click puzzle-adventure on its hands. It's clever. It's difficult. It will make you think. It's also beautiful, perfectly capitalizing on Wii's strengths.

Sounds great as far as I am concerned.

I really enjoy adventure games. Its just too bad that they don't have much lasting appeal, unless you're the type that likes to replay. Hopefully they'll implement a reason to replay it.

[quote name='Sporophyte']They are supposedly going to be giving it the same treatment they gave eternal darkness and pimping it non-stop in the hope that it sells. [/QUOTE]
So we have massive hyperbole in store for us? I blame IGN for selling me on Eternal Darkness, and I have not forgiven them for it.

Wow, I had really been ignoring this game since I assumed (from the screenshots) it was just a very pretty looking platformer. The video looks fantastic though. I had no idea it was an adventure game. This is definitely a purchase.

[quote name='pete5883']So we have massive hyperbole in store for us? I blame IGN for selling me on Eternal Darkness, and I have not forgiven them for it.[/QUOTE]

Probably the best game on the Gamecube. Sucks for you. :) Bought it on release day and loved every minute of it... both times I played through it.

Pretty bold claim from IGN. I'll be buying, but I'm not down with giving my money for pre-orders.

i love these types of puzzle games. where it's just a bunch of puzzles is in a confined space. there is never any chance that you'll need and item that you'll pick up later in the game.

i definitly want this game. i'll admit that i was drawn to it by matt and bozon from ign. i wouldn't spend 50 dollars on it. 40 sounds about right. i'll reserve it once they've given it a release date.

Yeah, definitely. I was already considering picking this up on day one, but considering how well the controls work for RE4 Wii, I know Capcom gets it when it comes to the Wii controls.

[quote name='Roufuss']After seeing how well Capcom nailed the Wii controls in RE 4, I am getting this ASAP upon release.[/quote]
I hope for your sake, it's not an SOE-type situation. ;) :lol:

[quote name='Scrubking']I'm definitely picking this one up now. However, they really need to get rid of the weird naked guy in the upper corner.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry but that guy makes the game, and it the reason for all this hype. Who doesn't play Wii games shirtless anyway?

The only thing more I could ask for, is for N to allow Capcom to uses Miis for your save profiles and have your Mii show up in the corner shaking it up.

[quote name='CouRageouS']

The only thing more I could ask for, is for N to allow Capcom to uses Miis for your save profiles and have your Mii show up in the corner shaking it up.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea for any game.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm sorry but that guy makes the game, and it the reason for all this hype. Who doesn't play Wii games shirtless anyway?[/QUOTE]

I prefer to play Donald Duck style: sailor shirt and no pants.

I used to go Donald Duck style until someone got too excited during an intense WarioWare session. :joystick:

(and the neighbors kept complaining)
that their wives weren't coming home

From the Kotaku Hands-on:

The E3 demo of Capcom's Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure was a much more fleshed-out affair than what was shown at Capcom's Spring Gamers Day. It also happened to be a much more awesome affair, with an expanded set of playable locations showing off the puzzle adventure game's more diverse, non-jungle environments. I played through to completion one of the game's lava filled levels, tasked with putting out a series of fires to reclaim the room's haunted treasure, a piece of Barbaros' golden armor. How awesome was it? So awesome.

There are some frustrations that one may come across, but Capcom has largely remedied that by making the game fun, the load times short, and the attempts to retrying to finish much more palatable. It took me three attempts to make my way through the level, as the game suffers from/features trial and error attempts to unravel each level's series of puzzles. Presented with a water bottle and flowing water, I hurried back to the empty fountain vessel. That was wrong, I later discovered, as a hard hat apparently holds much more liquid.

Fortunately, Capcom's dev team has decided to reward players with getting it right the first time, giving them bonus points for a job done well and done the first time. You'll probably want to play through it a second time, just to perfect your score. The trial and dying frustration from early builds has been addressed as mulligan tickets will give you an opportunity to revive the your character.

There's a kind of playful atmosphere and cartoony logic that makes Zack & Wiki so—and I'm using this not insincerely, not in some gag-worthy way—charming. I longed for the opportunity to play it again, with a group of backseat gamers to help me through the tasks. It's really quite good.
Oops. I meant awesome.

With this and Phoenix Wright, Capcom could very well bring back the adventure genre (along with Telltale keeping it strong on PCs). God love them for taking some chances and I hope it pays off for them.

Is there a concrete release date for this?

IGN says November 2007,
EB has 10/16,
Gamespot has TBA

Is this definitely coming out this year?

[quote name='vgossain']Is there a concrete release date for this?

IGN says November 2007,
EB has 10/16,
Gamespot has TBA

Is this definitely coming out this year?[/QUOTE]

Scheduled release is for October.

I'm actually kinda happy that August and most of September is looking pretty empty for games for me right now... might be able to splurge and get this in addition to BWii, GH3, and Flash Focus in October.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yea I was thinking of preordering this today with my credit. But then I might want Dewy that comes out the month before.[/quote]

I've heard that this is the better game of the two.

August 7, 2007 - Capcom doesn't want us to show you any screenshot or movie spoilers for its upcoming Wii adventure title, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. We can understand why - this is a game, after all, whose main challenge is simply to figure out the method to completing each of its many stages, all of them presenting unique hurdles. As much as we've maintained that it would be worth sacrificing a single level in order to demonstrate just how clever and rewarding the adventure is, the studio isn't having it. But it has at least let us pull back the curtain, even if just a little bit, to show you some direct-feed movies and screenshots taken directly from some of the puzzle-heavy environments that Z&W traverse in search of treasure.

Today, we've posted almost 20 new screenshots and four new movies, all in 480p, for your viewing pleasure. Obviously, none of the media contains spoilers, so if you're been airing on the side of caution in an attempt to avoid accidental revelations, you needn't worry. Nothing you will see today will illuminate any of the puzzles - these videos only take you into the levels for a look around.

All of the media showcases four different levels from the newest demo of Z&W, sent to IGN Wii earlier today. We've played these levels before, and we've written about them. In addition to an in-game tutorial, which is featured almost in full in our media section already, there are three stages set in the stylistic Jungle Ruins and one in Barbaros' Castle.

The only relatively new stage is called the Flute of the Growlin' Goblins, and it is also the only stage that we're unable to take any videos or screens from. In it, Z&W must figure out a means to attain a treasure chest which rests on top of a pillar in the middle of a circular arena. Below it, a group of fanged cannibalistic tribals - as pictured in our top story image - guard the platform, but periodically eat from a giant pot of stew. Without giving the order away, you must do everything from stun a snake to devise a sleeping potion, knock down some coconuts and turn a crank as you ride a vehicular platform, in order to finally make it through. As always, the visual presentation, filled with over-the-top characters and a host of stunning particle and lighting effects, is second to none.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I've heard that this is the better game of the two.[/quote]

I don't think there's any question that Z&W will be the better game, based on what I have seen/read. But Dewy's Adventure looks like fun, and I frankly want both games. I think it's good to support Konami and Capcom as third parties developing robust original IPs exclusively for the Wii.

[quote name='Tybee']I don't think there's any question that Z&W will be the better game, based on what I have seen/read. But Dewy's Adventure looks like fun, and I frankly want both games. I think it's good to support Konami and Capcom as third parties developing robust original IPs exclusively for the Wii.[/quote]

I agree. I'll probably be renting the big Nintendo games since they'll have so many people buying them anyway and buying more 3rd party games.

[quote name='Tybee']I don't think there's any question that Z&W will be the better game, based on what I have seen/read. But Dewy's Adventure looks like fun, and I frankly want both games. I think it's good to support Konami and Capcom as third parties developing robust original IPs exclusively for the Wii.[/quote]

I agree. I'll probably be renting the big Nintendo games since they'll have so many people buying them anyway and buying more 3rd party games.

i've heard lots of positive things about this game from ign... but i'm not sure if this is worth buying until it actually comes out and a bunch of sites review it and say it's good....

[quote name='WiiGame']i've heard lots of positive things about this game from ign... but i'm not sure if this is worth buying until it actually comes out and a bunch of sites review it and say it's good....[/quote]
Not I. I've seen enough to know this is a Day One buy for me.

EDIT: Box art ahoy!

51Gx%2BK8mldL._SS500_.jpg

Huge fan of the price tag, tired of crappy games being charged an uncrappy price. Not that this will be crappy but I'm tried of the hype IGN is putting under this game. Yea Yea, I get it, you don't want people to miss this game, now leave me alone. Hopefully the game will speak for itself and not have to rely on an overhyped website to sell it.

But the price point is a good starting point.

[quote name='Tybee']Not I. I've seen enough to know this is a Day One buy for me.

EDIT: Box art ahoy!

51Gx%2BK8mldL._SS500_.jpg
[/quote]

Now that's snazzy!

bread's done
Back