Zelda Breath of the Wild Special/Master Editions, Amiibo- Discussion

Got the same cancellation.  Although I am a sucker for zelda, kind of glad I am not supporting the price gouging of this company by paying $50 extra for a minimally different version of a book that isn't numbered.  If print numbers are the same or even larger as the last book, these should be available on amazon 3rd party close to retail soon after anyway.

Newest issue of Game Informer has a bunch of info on the new Zelda. Lots of new overworld details and details about the first dungeon. Here's a summation from NintendoEveyrhing for those interested (there are some spoilers):

General / world

– Nintendo previously made Zelda games by making small areas and connecting them together
– For Breath of the Wild, the team first had to figure out what needed to be placed on the map
– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world
– Game Informer’s demo starts at Serenne Stable
– Yammo runs this place
– Link can rest in bed and restore health here
– Stable also lets you store horses, meet with merchants, NPCs
– Stables are located throughout the world
– Each one is run by a distinct character
– You can spend rupees on a more expensive bed, giving you an extra heart the next morning
– These hearts are yellow and can’t be recovered if you’re hit in combat
– Spending time by fires in the world passes time
– Dynamic weather system in the game, with the world reacting as a result
– Ex: when it starts raining, NPCs outside the stable quickly go inside
– Beedle is back to sell you goods
– Have to be careful during a thunderstorm, since your metal items can attract thunder
– Metal weapons and shields can be discarded or thrown at enemies
– Link can get killed by lightning
– Difficulty dips/spikes depending on where you are, since you can go around it and avoid it until you’re stronger
– Over 100 Shrines
– You can find an item that identifies Shrines
– Discover a Shrine for it to be a fast-travel point
– Shrines also give a Spirit Orb
– Trade in orbs for unknown items
– Dedicated team handled animal A.I.
– Bears, wolves, deer move through the snow
– You can get overwhelmed by enemies quickly
– Link can keep multiple horses at a time
– Affection/loyalty important with horses
– Feed and take care of horses to raise their stats
– Can call horses over to you, but horses need to be within a certain proximity to be called
– Horses can be killed by enemies
– Aonuma “wanted players to choose their own path”, so no companion character in this game
– Stamina meter encopasses sprinting, paragliding, climbing
– Meter can be upgraded, but Nintendo won’t say how
– Different shields have different speeds and level of control for snowboarding
– Can mine rocks which can be solid for rupees or used for crafting
– Can place stamps to mark areas of interest
– 100 of these symbols can be used on the map, including sword, shield, bow and arrow, pot, star, chest, skull, leaf, diamond
– Every style of weapon has a unique set of animations and feel different
– No invincible weapons in the game, Nintendo says
– Zelda can get mad at you and scold you
– Players can see the ending without seeing everything from the story
– A certain element was added in the game to make for a more cohesive storyline
– Most difficult Zelda game to make
– Aonuma is still finding new things in the world

New dungeon

– Nintendo took Game Informer directly to a dungeon
– This dungeon is constantly moving
– Game Informer says “Link must manipulate the entire enormous mechanism through his own ingenuity”
– Players can skip dungeons if they want and go straight to Calamity Ganon
– The substance known as malice covers the dungeon
– Link gets hurt if he touches it
– Can be destroyed by finding and attacking each pocket of malice’s eyeball
– Sheikah Slate serves as Link’s map, binoculars, more
– Use the slate in the dungeon to see a 3D model, tilt the entire dungeon from here
– Doing so slides blocks into place and opens up angles you can use to paraglide to new locations
– Voice tells you that you need to access terminals with the slate across the dungeon, marked on your map
– All bombs in the game are remote and don’t blow up on a timer
– Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld
– Game Informer didn’t see the familiar chest opening animation and signature music
– Never found a signature Zelda item or compass
– Wind Blight Ganon is the dungeon boss here
– Voice tells you, “It’s one of Ganon’s own. It plays dirty.”
– Wind Blight Ganon is a huge monster, has no face, gun-like arm
– Wind Blight Ganon can create tornadoes and will fire large spikes

Also some cool art, that I'm pretty sure is new:

2017_2D00_03_2D00_coverspread_2D00_610_2D00_watermark.jpg
2017_2D00_03_2D00_cover_2D00_front_2D00_610.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. And Ganon is the daddy.
How do you think there is a Link every generation?

Incest.

They have a boy and girl together.

Girl becomes new princess.

Boy is new Link.

Wash Rinse Repeat

And occasionaly, that incestuous trait pops up and they have a mutant child. Hence, Ganon.

Hopefully they re open the specialedition preorders.
They have been, Toys R Us has been putting canceled special editions back up on their site on most mornings between 5am and 6am. Usually gets snatched up in seconds though, there's tons of people over on nowinstock.com watching it every morning like a hawk. It's like Piranha feeding frenzy whenever TRU put them up in the morning.

They have been, Toys R Us has been putting canceled special editions back up on their site on most mornings between 5am and 6am. Usually gets snatched up in seconds though, there's tons of people over on nowinstock.com watching it every morning like a hawk. It's like Piranha feeding frenzy whenever TRU put them up in the morning.
I think those arnt real cancellations because I have mobile alerts set on my phone from nowinstock and literally before the page loads they are gone for me.

just curious as to why Amazon.ca doesn't ship electronics to the US but all the European Amazons do.

as of now I have c4c alerts on pretty much all the SE/ME/LE product pages. as usual it seems Best Buy has either some routine updates to their product pages or some kind of page detection to prevent constant page reloads as I'm getting false positives.

as much as people like to hate on gs, they are probably the most reliable retailer to order non-standard editions of games from. instore obviously is a crapshoot however
im not hating on gamestop. i already got my master edition preorder, my wii u version and the ear buds. i don't think my wallet would of handle it very well with the special edition

Order the guide now, the price will get adjusted later. Most of these $39.99 hardcover guides drop to about $24 before release.
That's a little more tempting. Do you all just collect guides? Or like, do you actually use the guide? I can see why a guide could be very helpful for a game like this, especially at launch. I'm sure there's something I won't be able to find or do that will frustrate me to no end. But that's part of the experience, no?

Ideally I play everything fresh but I am at the point in life where if I have to choose between spending hours solving something or lookin git up and spending hours playing the game, I will look something up.

I lose interest if I get stuck on things as game time is limited and if I don't get hooked, it is hard to finish anything.

Not even including the price of the Switch, Breath of the Wild is definitely going to end up being the most I've ever spent on one game. Master Edition, amiibos, and now possibly this as well... this game better be good.

Not even including the price of the Switch, Breath of the Wild is definitely going to end up being the most I've ever spent on one game. Master Edition, amiibos, and now possibly this as well... this game better be good.
Same here. I'm getting basically everything but the $90 F4F statue.

I paid close to $500 for Gears of War 3 in 2011. It was so worth it.

If you to collect things like guides and whatnot, you might want to scoop up the Breath of the Wild. I am a little surprised that it's Piggyback handling the guide and not Prima. Prima's guides had a nice simplicity to them.

That's a little more tempting. Do you all just collect guides? Or like, do you actually use the guide? I can see why a guide could be very helpful for a game like this, especially at launch. I'm sure there's something I won't be able to find or do that will frustrate me to no end. But that's part of the experience, no?
I barely use them. They are nice for Soulsborne games, open-world games, and RPGs just to use as a reference tool. It's also fun to thumb through one of them every now and then. I just like having a nice-looking hardcover book collection filling the bookcases in my living room.

I tend to use them for side quest stuff. My FF XV guide was invaluable. People will say you can just look stuff up, which is true. It is hard to beat a book in your lap though with all the info organized well and screenshots.

The Zelda one I probably won't use for main quest but I think I read there are 900+ koroks to see? The guide will be super useful for that.

Who uses a guide book? Not trying to be sarcastic but when I play games my cell phone is my guide book to every game ever made with a simple search on the google. What makes it better is I can find videos for stuff that isnt easily explained in text, and unlike a book the internet is constantly updated with new ways to do something, to tell me if a glitch is stopping me or whatnot. And I can do all of that for free.

I see the appeal of a book because 30 years when I first got a NES for christmas books and magazines were all you had. So I have a nostalgia for them, but Ill never waste the money on one thanks to the internet.

Who uses a guide book? Not trying to be sarcastic but when I play games my cell phone is my guide book to every game ever made with a simple search on the google. What makes it better is I can find videos for stuff that isnt easily explained in text, and unlike a book the internet is constantly updated with new ways to do something, to tell me if a glitch is stopping me or whatnot. And I can do all of that for free.

I see the appeal of a book because 30 years when I first got a NES for christmas books and magazines were all you had. So I have a nostalgia for them, but Ill never waste the money on one thanks to the internet.
This is kinda irrelevant, but I went to a Walmart in the next town over and I saw that they still sold cheat code books. I was baffled and in awe that those things still existed.

I barely use them. They are nice for Soulsborne games, open-world games, and RPGs just to use as a reference tool. It's also fun to thumb through one of them every now and then. I just like having a nice-looking hardcover book collection filling the bookcases in my living room.
I have the opposite problem. My lady and I read a bit more than we play games, so we have a library in our house with 6 full 6-shelf bookcases and a few smaller ones... and I'm dreading trying to find space to fit another one any time soon. So big hardcover books like these that require more space are always a special consideration purchase. There's only room for so many books!

I have the opposite problem. My lady and I read a bit more than we play games, so we have a library in our house with 6 full 6-shelf bookcases and a few smaller ones... and I'm dreading trying to find space to fit another one any time soon. So big hardcover books like these that require more space are always a special consideration purchase. There's only room for so many books!
Sounds like you guys might need to go the digital route with your books. Did the same myself a year or so ago after swearing I never would do it, but just ran out of space. Now the only new physical books we pick up are special or collector's editions, or if they hold a sentimental value.

Same now holds true with guides, limited to just a handful of series I've long collected and usually just the collector's editions.

Sounds like you guys might need to go the digital route with your books. Did the same myself a year or so ago after swearing I never would do it, but just ran out of space. Now the only new physical books we pick up are special or collector's editions, or if they hold a sentimental value.

Same now holds true with guides, limited to just a handful of series I've long collected and usually just the collector's editions.
When it comes to games I couldn't care less about digital vs physical, but man I can't stand digital books. I don't know why. Especially with graphic novels. Gotta feel that paper!

This is true. My bookcases overfloweth as well.

Books are books, not digits.

Does anyone know how trustworthy ebay preorders are? Has anyone bought something of that sort? I know this was probably discussed, but I must have missed it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how trustworthy ebay preorders are? Has anyone bought something of that sort? I know this was probably discussed, but I must have missed it.

Just check the seller's stats and feedback, and it should be all good.

You really don't know if you'll get the item or not should you choose to buy from eBay before release. pre-order's sometime gets cancel from retailers for various reasons and you be SOL and have to re-purchase from a diff seller. I would recommend you wait until the item is in-hand and ready to ship by the seller before committing.

Has there been any word on if stores will be receiving any extra stock of the master/special editions?  I plan on going to the midnight launch at a best buy and picking up my order.  Would be great to know if they will definitively have at least a few so I would be justified in lining up early.

Don't know about BBY but my local GS did say they will have extra stock. He could not say how much but he did tell a customer to come in early.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Has there been any word on if stores will be receiving any extra stock of the master/special editions? I plan on going to the midnight launch at a best buy and picking up my order. Would be great to know if they will definitively have at least a few so I would be justified in lining up early.
Nope.

It was limited as was mentioned before. You might get lucky...or not.

Ya know i saw this on a reddit somewhere and iy got me thinking. From what has been shown so far for BotW would it be so hyped and anticipated if it wasnt for slapping Zelda on the box. After thinking about it a bit id have to say no. So far nothing that have shown for BotW shows any kind of innovation or anything new or cool really from whats been done in previous games like Witcher and Skyrim and I know all you Nintendo Fanboys will scream foul but I think its a legit question and honestly if BotW didnt have Zelda in front of it i dont think it would be even half as highly anticipated as it is. 

bread's done
Back