Zelda Breath of the Wild Special/Master Editions, Amiibo- Discussion

It's not about what the statue would cost separately. You can't look at a Collector's Edition and come up with a value of what's inside based on what it would cost on eBay for a Chinese knockoff. The value comes from the whole package of it being an official release, and in this case being the best version of the game available. Collector's and Zelda fans want to have the best version.

Demand is and will remain insanely high because it's Zelda and this is America, where the series is biggest. We all saw what happened with the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition, and that is a much smaller series and a SE that probably had more copies available than the Master Edition. That was available at a bunch of different stores, unlike the ME.
Actually it is, since the Special Edition is the exact same thing just with the statue and different packaging. And lol at anyone who values that at $200+. I mean I'm a game collector but cmon now, I'd never pay $200+ for different packaging and a mediocre statue. The Fates Special Edition was much different, as it was and still is the only way to get Birthright and Conquest on the same cartridge, as well as the only way to get Revelations on a cartridge. This is just a statue and different packaging from the Special Edition

Man that BOTW Nendo is tempting but I need to resist that and see if it ever gets a price drop.

The eBay price for the Master Edition is higher than I expected. I thought it would go for $250 after they announced it, not $400.

Makes me wish that I kept my original order of the Special Edition so that I can sell off the ME.

If theres one thing im sure of, this game will live up to the hype. I expect almost perfect scores across the board. The new mario game looks great too. Brung back memories of mario 64. I cant wait.

Yeah, and I got one of those Re;birth 1 LEs and sold it for $400 no regrets. You know why? That was a bunch of free money and there was a much likelier chance it was going to go down in value rather than go up.

Re;Birth 1 LE, and Pandemic Edition were the two that came to mind for me as well. They are exceptions to the rule. Everything that comes out isn't the next Pandemic Edition. Just look at the prices now for the Final Fantasy UCE. You're comparing the Master Edition to things like Hyrule Warriors LE and Mario Kart LE that were basically Nintendo store/trade show exclusives and not even sold at retail. That's not even a comparison you can make.

The master edition is limited but it's not one store in the US exclusive. I wouldn't compare it to Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart.
Exactly, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it is, since the Special Edition is the exact same thing just with the statue and different packaging. And lol at anyone who values that at $200+. I mean I'm a game collector but cmon now, I'd never pay $200+ for different packaging and a mediocre statue. The Fates Special Edition was much different, as it was and still is the only way to get Birthright and Conquest on the same cartridge, as well as the only way to get Revelations on a cartridge. This is just a statue and different packaging from the Special Edition
Open the ME and try to sell the sword for $200. Not going to happen. People want the whole package sealed.

I gotta think those ones that sell for exorbitant prices are just troll bidders looking to handcuff the seller for awhile
Yeah, I thought the same. But people have paid more for dumber things.

This one is my favorite. Someone bought a $450 Special Edition, because the seller put a picture of the Master Edition on the listing. There are a ton like this. So many stupid people are going to get burned on release day.

It's not the exact same thing, that's the point. You can buy the Special Edition and import a European version with the statue, but it's still not the same thing as buying the Master Edition. Try to sell the sword by itself for $200 and see if anyone bites.

The master edition is limited but it's not one store in the US exclusive. I wouldn't compare it to Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart.
Obviously those are more limited, but it is 1 store vs online-only at 3 stores. 1 morning for a few hours at the Nintendo NYC Store vs 15 minute intervals at Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop. Not a huge difference.

Holy crap, last I checked the MK8 LE and Hyrule Warriors LE were $200 and $600 respectively....I need to buy a display case to protect these things geeze. ._. And I remember hardly anyone showing up for MK8. You could just walk into the store and get it the next morning.

What I'm really curious to see is what kind of value will this edition fetch in our aftermarket?

81w4wShsRHL._SL1500__zpsd96s2hrc.jpg

This is the EU special edition.  It has what appears to be the sword, the soundtrack and the game.  I've got a couple of these coming if they don't get cancelled on me. 

Nintendo Switch games are region free now, too.  People are going to start paying attention to the international releases in order to get what they want.  Region free is the best news that has come along with the Switch release. 

What I'm really curious to see is what kind of value will this edition fetch in our aftermarket?

-snip-

This is the EU special edition. It has what appears to be the sword, the soundtrack and the game. I've got a couple of these coming if they don't get cancelled on me.

Nintendo Switch games are region free now, too. People are going to start paying attention to the international releases in order to get what they want. Region free is the best news that has come along with the Switch release.
I almost jumped on these as well. But I thought, "Eh, I have both the Master and Special Edition preordered... what could go wrong?" :wall:

Somewhere in the world, some nerd is wearing an ugly $900 scarf and they have no idea.
They're not though. The scarf is worth $900 only when it's part of the US Limited Edition.

You can import the scarf on its own for <$50 or buy the Limited Edition from another region for much less.

This is a very good point.

I almost jumped on these as well. But I thought, "Eh, I have both the Master and Special Edition preordered... what could go wrong?" :wall:
Yeah you got your ME so you're set. Grats! and lucky you.

Open the ME and try to sell the sword for $200. Not going to happen. People want the whole package sealed.
It's not the exact same thing, that's the point. You can buy the Special Edition and import a European version with the statue, but it's still not the same thing as buying the Master Edition. Try to sell the sword by itself for $200 and see if anyone bites.
Actually I'm quite positive that after release, if you took just the Master Edition packaging and the statue and sold it, you'd get close to the difference between the Master Edition and the Special Edition. Not the full difference because it's not sealed, but still. They are very much valuing that packaging and the statue that high

The only 1st world problem is whether I should sell my ME now or later. 

$400 can feed my backlog until next year. $600 can buy me all the Switch accessories... hmmm. 

$400 can feed my backlog until next year. $600 can buy me all the Switch accessories... hmmm.
Not worth the gamble. Just dump it while the going is good. Getting greedy is what will get you in competition with people trying to dump it off their hands by undercutting.

Yep, that's what it boils down to. 9 out of 10 of them drop in peak value by 20% or more. While maybe 10% of them double in value. Are you a gambling man? :D

The answer is easy for me. Since the closer you approach to actual cost, the less money you are making, factorially. (e.g. Something cost you $25 and you sell it for $50. You make triple than that if you sold it for $100. i.e. your profit % decelerates faster than it appears when things go down in value, while shipping cost remains a flat rate giant chunk.)

damn so it seems I missed out on the LE A&A book at Bestbuy. 

seeing the prices for the SE and ME are making me really consider lining up at Nintendo NYC.  I have done so in the past more times than I would have liked, and aside from the HH LE and MK 8 LE (HW LE sold out after I waited for 2 hours) probably was not "worth" the time.

Did anybody actually get an order of the LE A&A book from Best Buy?  I saw it at 4:40 the other day, and it had been up for no more than an hour, but I couldn't complete the purchase past shipping details

I need to sell ME, the Fire Emblem and original Pikachu to make room for a move. I know it is one box b/ I have a lot of toys (collectables) in the basement and I am moving in the spring. I don't play FE but saw the hype here and ordered. I have two Pikachu 3DS and just ordered the new one. Managed to get both Zelda's. This site is supposed to save you money b/ I spend it getting excited. I even pre ordered 2 Switches and have 2 Classics. I don't buy this stuff to flip. I call myself collecting it b/ my fiancée thinks I'm hoarding. If it just sits in a box that is a logical conclusion.

I need to sell ME, the Fire Emblem and original Pikachu to make room for a move. I know it is one box b/ I have a lot of toys (collectables) in the basement and I am moving in the spring. I don't play FE but saw the hype here and ordered. I have two Pikachu 3DS and just ordered the new one. Managed to get both Zelda's. This site is supposed to save you money b/ I spend it getting excited. I even pre ordered 2 Switches and have 2 Classics. I don't buy this stuff to flip. I call myself collecting it b/ my fiancée thinks I'm hoarding. If it just sits in a box that is a logical conclusion.
Sell some of that stuff, take her out, and buy something nice for her. She will not complain about your "hobby" ever again.

It's one more character to type "but".

damn so it seems I missed out on the LE A&A book at Bestbuy.

seeing the prices for the SE and ME are making me really consider lining up at Nintendo NYC. I have done so in the past more times than I would have liked, and aside from the HH LE and MK 8 LE (HW LE sold out after I waited for 2 hours) probably was not "worth" the time.
To make your decision easier: last I asked they did not know if they would even be carrying them.

What's the odd of Gamestop.com actually coming through with delivery of the Zelda ME.  I was able to order 2 on Sat morning and i'm not entirely confident GS will fulfill the order. imo, they may/probably took took more pre-order than they are allocated. Did anyone else get their ME pre-ordered in on 1/14/17 and listing/selling it on the secondary market?

What's the odd of Gamestop.com actually coming through with delivery of the Zelda ME. I was able to order 2 on Sat morning and i'm not entirely confident GS will fulfill the order. imo, they may/probably took took more pre-order than they are allocated. Did anyone else get their ME pre-ordered in on 1/14/17 and listing/selling it on the secondary market?
This past Saturday?

What's the odd of Gamestop.com actually coming through with delivery of the Zelda ME. I was able to order 2 on Sat morning and i'm not entirely confident GS will fulfill the order. imo, they may/probably took took more pre-order than they are allocated. Did anyone else get their ME pre-ordered in on 1/14/17 and listing/selling it on the secondary market?
Check the SKU on your receipt to make sure it's not the same as the regular edition. I remember something about them consolidating the SKU sometimes late Friday and people who pre-ordered ME afterwards actually pre-ordered the regular version.

I live in New York, how crazy is the Nintendo store and are any brick and mortar stores even worth stopping by on day of to check for physical copies? We have targets etc. I know PC Richard was taking pre orders but I've never gone in one.

Sell some of that stuff, take her out, and buy something nice for her. She will not complain about your "hobby" ever again.
This! I did that with my stuff and got my wife something and I made enough to buy Christmas gifts. She never said anything after that regarding my gaming hobby/purchases.

It's a console release day. That usual line down the block and around the corner will be literally around the building and end in front of the start of the line. If they even get it that day.

Kinda hoping they'll put it off to another day after console release

This past Saturday?
Sorry, I meant Friday late morning, Jan 13th. For some reason, GS still had pre-orders avail up until close to noon that day. Knowing GS and its reputation, I'm not entirely convince they will fulfilled their part of the arrangement.

It's definitely the ME according the GS app under the "pre order" section.

JAgSlvc.png

However, the taxes looks way off. Detail order on the website shows tax charges of $2.27. I'm from ca and taxes should be around 8%.

For those that were able to pre-order on 1/13/17 at the wee hours of the early morning, does your order look similar. I'm hoping GS will not fuck me over, AGAIN.....

KIZ2ZfR.png

Can someone also confirm that their order detail on the "non mobile" site shows no references to "Master Edition" probably due to the description being cut off.

bread's done
Back