ZUNE and your X360 - ZUNE HD Now in 64GB - Latest Update Now Supports AVI/XviD

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'm assuming you mean divx/xvid. Avi is just a container.[/quote]

Whatever it is that 99% of my videos are (which the zune can't recognize).

[quote name='Maklershed']Whatever it is that 99% of my videos are (which the zune can't recognize).[/QUOTE]

If you got them off bittorent (which I'd bet you did) then yeah they are divx/xvid files. And the fact that everything in the piracy world is divx/xvid is the primary reason Zune or Ipod can't play them.

Although they eventually gave the Xbox the ability to play them (mostly because the PS3 could), so they probably will on a long enough time line.

Microsoft resists such things because it's very hard to develop and maintain partnerships with studios when your devices support the most popular piracy formats.

seriously the zune needs to be firmware updated so we can play digital copies of movies.. it's bullshit to get left out like this, but ohhh the oh so bad Ipod gets the attention and love.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Chris Cornell - You Know My Name music video is free on the Zune marketplace.[/quote]How did you know it was free? Did you just happen to see it or was there an update somewhere?

[quote name='sj41']How did you know it was free? Did you just happen to see it or was there an update somewhere?[/quote]

I was on the marketplace, clicked music videos - Top selling. Saw that it was one of the top and clicked it and it was free. Kinda odd, but I'm not complaining. :cool:

Interesting. I would be all over this if it had more storage space, but until then i really can't justify a memory downgrade from my 80gb zune since it holds more than the max memory of the announced memory storage space of the ZuneHD

[quote name='Darkchaos91']I was on the marketplace, clicked music videos - Top selling. Saw that it was one of the top and clicked it and it was free. Kinda odd, but I'm not complaining. :cool:[/quote]Okay, cool. I wish they would have a free content section on the Zune marketplace so we don't have to dig to find some cool stuff.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']What they need to do is make the digital copy on DVDs Zune-compatible.[/QUOTE]

Don't most of the digital copies on DVD include a WMV version? Shouldn't be THAT hard to make it Zune compatable.

The GotZune blog seems to think that a 120GB version is coming:

‘Confirmed’ ZuneHD specs hit the web

Posted by Adam Stafford on 04/17/09
Information is slowly getting about about the ZuneHD and what to expect from it. The most interesting is the content delivery of HD quality entertainment that will potentially be offered via Microsoft Mediaroom. Although there is also speculation over Microsoft building a type of copyright monitoring authority into the ZuneHD device that would pay close attention to your content.

If true this will definitely create a content offering with quality unlike that offered on other devices. There is no information as of yet on whether the output to TV will be able to connect to an HDTV. Now they should consider how to add Netflix content streams to the device as done with the XBox360!
Citing unnamed sources within the company, Neowin claims the Zune HD will sport a 3.6-inch multi touch OLED display and an HDMI connection on the side to stream content directly to TVs. Nvidia's Tegra graphics chip for mobile devices will be powering the new Zune, which will come in 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 120GB versions. Other features include an HD Radio, support for wireless connectivity and a web browser.

The Zune platform is also being completely overhauled and further unconfirmed rumors suggest the updated device would even support "3D Xbox Games," but it is unclear what form this will take - perhaps XBLA titles? We'll have to wait for an official announcement, but if rumors hold true, Microsoft could have a much more competitive device in its hands this time around.​

[quote name='Demolition Man']Don't most of the digital copies on DVD include a WMV version? Shouldn't be THAT hard to make it Zune compatable.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm pretty sure the WMV compatible versions (which are most of them now) allow you to use them on your Zune.[/QUOTE]

Last time I tried it, none of the digital copies would transfer or even show up in the Zune software. It stems from the problem with anything that is 'PlaysForSure' isn't Zune compatible.

Or, they changed it for everything but the 30GB.

http://www.insidethecircle.net/2009/01/why-wont-my-zune-play-dark-knight.html

http://forums.zune.net/145919/ShowPost.aspx

It's a known issue. I'm surprised you haven't run into it before.

Is it possible to remove tracks from my player but keep them on the software?

My 80GB Zune is full, unfortunately. I'd like to pull some albums off of the player but I don't want to delete them permanently.

Oh, and on another note: the new Crystal Method CD is only $2.99 in the Amazon MP3 Store today.

[quote name='bmachine']Is it possible to remove tracks from my player but keep them on the software?

My 80GB Zune is full, unfortunately. I'd like to pull some albums off of the player but I don't want to delete them permanently.

Oh, and on another note: the new Crystal Method CD is only $2.99 in the Amazon MP3 Store today.[/QUOTE]

Don't know, but thanks for the link.

[quote name='bmachine']Is it possible to remove tracks from my player but keep them on the software?

Oh, and on another note: the new Crystal Method CD is only $2.99 in the
Amazon MP3 Store today.[/quote]

Click Device(up at the top next to Collection, Marketplace, Social),
click Music,
and then right click on whatever album you want to remove
and click delete from 'whatever_your_device_is_named'.

[quote name='dastly75']Click Device(up at the top next to Collection, Marketplace, Social),
click Music,
and then right click on whatever album you want to remove
and click delete from 'whatever_your_device_is_named'.[/QUOTE]

Excellent...thanks, dastly.
I knew there had to be a way but I couldn't figure it out!

[quote name='bmachine']Excellent...thanks, dastly.
I knew there had to be a way but I couldn't figure it out![/QUOTE]

Another way I do it is I rate stuff with a broken heart. The next time I sync the rated tracks are removed.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Woot has $79 Zune 30GB today. 3 colors. sellout.woot has the car kit for $9.99.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Was able to pick up an extra for my wife. Sure it's the older generation, but for what she'll use it for it's perfect and that price was a steal!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Green Day's new '21st Century Breakdown' is $5 at Amazon (MP3)

http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-...sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1242412386&sr=8-6[/QUOTE] That's a lot of tracks for $5, I'll pick it up. Checked Metacritic, and it has a 75 average. I like Green Day, but haven't bought any of their music, and I haven't found anybody that has any of their albums besides Warning and American Idiot.

EDIT- I bought the album but didn't get the bonus track. I checked the page that I downloaded it from, and it ends at 18 tracks on it. Not mad about it, but would've definitely liked to have the extra song. Too late now I guess.

EDIT 2- It's the link that does it. Try this one to get the bonus track:

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Break..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=477113671&pf_rd_i=163856011

Last edited by a moderator:
Not specific to the Zune but here's some free (legally ;)) music that I hope some of you don't know about already:

Coldplay's new live album LeftRightLeftRightLeft
The Motorcycle Industry's entire album Electric Education on their MySpace
The Damnwells' newest album One Last Century
Empires - Howl
Nine Inch Nails - the Slip
Paper Rival's free EP (enter e-mail address, don't have to put a phone # in)
We Shot the Moon - Fear and Love
Harvey Danger - Little By Little...
Everything by Bomb the Music Industry! on this page is free
A Great Big Pile of Leaves - The Fiery Works and The Fiery Works II

Artists in red are particularly recommended by myself (for whatever that's worth :whistle2:#)

If this is helpful, there's more!

[quote name='fizzywix']Coldplay's new live album LeftRightLeftRightLeft
The Damnwells' newest album One Last Century
Nine Inch Nails - the Slip
Paper Rival's free EP (enter e-mail address, don't have to put a phone # in)
A Great Big Pile of Leaves - The Fiery Works and The Fiery Works II

If this is helpful, there's more![/QUOTE]Downloaded those, thanks for the links. If you have any other links to free albums from big name bands (like NIN or Coldplay) or bands that you really like, post them.

I'd love the Zune a lot more if they could just make it so that the tracks of multiple disc albums play in the proper order...it's infuriating how the Zune software will list multiple disc albums properly, but the Zune itself (and the 360 for that matter) pays no attention to the "Disc Number" (and yes I know I could manually edit every multiple-disc album I have, but it shouldn't be that difficult....) Obviously this is a problem that could easily be fixed, but never has been.

How do I get rid of extra tracks on the device? I have an album that has double tracks. It'll be "Hey this song rules" followed by "Audio track 1", which is the same exact song. This doesnt' reflect in the Zune software though. How do I fix this?

Anyone else get the survey? I got it a couple days ago and ignored the email all together until I read it and it said that if I completed it I'd get a $10 Amazon.com gift certificate, so I powered through it. I finished and now according to the end screen I should get my gift certificate in 6-8 weeks. Awesome.

Too bad there was no mention of the Zune HD is was mostly a customer satisfaction survey. For the record, I am not a new Zune owner.

Yeah I got the same one, I was hoping for instant gift certificate though. We will probably never see those gift certificates.

bread's done
Back