ZUNE and your X360 - ZUNE HD Now in 64GB - Latest Update Now Supports AVI/XviD

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone had a problem recently when they synched their Zune that the software redownloaded/resynched all of the files and not just the new ones? On my Zune now I have 3 copies each of some songs, but on others its normal.[/QUOTE]

I dont get extra copies of the same songs, but one artist keeps getting removed and re-synched whenever i synch. I don't get why one artist is affected...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone had a problem recently when they synched their Zune that the software redownloaded/resynched all of the files and not just the new ones? On my Zune now I have 3 copies each of some songs, but on others its normal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='humidore']I dont get extra copies of the same songs, but one artist keeps getting removed and re-synched whenever i synch. I don't get why one artist is affected...[/QUOTE]

The Library Reset Tool solved both of those problems for me in the past.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3d-9bf8-45f6-89ff-b9a6236aa37d&displaylang=en

Have they improved things(on-screen keyboard, tilt-sensitivity, etc.) since the Best Buy store display model Zune HD's were released? I had a disaster of a hands-on with the Zune HD about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't type things accurately, couldn't load up Kotaku even though that ZHD had been setup for web access(YouTube would load), the tilt controls for Audiosurf Tilt and Project Gotham Racing felt like they weren't sensitive enough. I felt I had to tilt the Zune further than I should have to get the vehicles to turn. My previous hands-ons with the Zune HD had me sold, but now I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't say mine is perfectly capable. The tilt sensor on it is wonky when viewing pages or pics. It's sometimes difficult to get it to orientate correctly and it will sometimes change its view as if it were being titled, even though I'd be holding it still.

But the tilt works fine, especially for Audiosurf, but there have been times where the tilt has flat out stopped working through a song for no apparent reason and I'd have to restart the game.

I'm really trying but I simply don't get how you guys use this software. I need a bigger mp3 player b/c I'm running out of room on my 32gb ipod touch so I tried re-downloading the Zune software. I went through all my music, re-tagged it, converted it all to the right ID3 tags (ID3v2.3), removed all bad tags, made sure every bit of information was correct and of course the Zune software can't detect it all.

It simply blows my mind that Microsoft expects to make a dent in the mp3 business when they have software that is this awful. If my music works on Itunes when it isn't properly tagged why is it that the Zune software won't detect my music that is tagged? Its completely asinine. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the software is one of the main reasons people don't switch to Zune. The software sucks. It's a real shame too because the hardware is beautiful.

Eh, I haven't had much of a problem. I went from a iPod nano to this back in December. It detected all of my music easily enough. Although, I had about 1200 songs at the time so for all I know you probably have a lot more if you were able to fill out the entire 32 gb iPod with music.

But there is this one annoying glitch that won't let me edit some album's info. It doesn't happen often, but its the only problem I truly had with the software. Luckily I found out how to fix it. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with the software in my eyes. I still use iTunes since I have an iPad, and honestly, I don't see much difference between the two when it comes to uploading music.

The biggest problem I have is that you can drag and drop any music into itunes minus wma and it works. That's simply not the case with the zune software.

[quote name='slickkill77']The biggest problem I have is that you can drag and drop any music into itunes minus wma and it works. That's simply not the case with the zune software.[/QUOTE]
I thought that at first, but I do like the way it does it. You tell it what folder you keep your music in, and it automatically updates the library with that info. And it does it instantly, which was a bit more than I expected. Like as soon as my downloading is finished, its already up in my library.

iTunes does it a bit similarly but you have to tell it to look in that folder everytime, rather than it doing it automatically(and please correct me if I'm wrong; I think it probably does have an option to automatically do that but I can't find it anywhere).

I really do like my 32 GB zune I got from live search club a while back, but I just don't like the software. I've had those issues with tagging. My main issue now is that it just doesn't want to work on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. It's laggy, uses a lot of CPU, and there is a ton of hard drive activity. I can't even tell it to ignore my videos, pictures, and podcasts. I had to sit, waiting for it to go through my items, which it said totaled over 20000 items. It just drags my system down when I run it.

I haven't been able to find a solution to this. I might just have to uninstall it and try putting it on a Windows XP VM image. I tried it on my old XP computer and it seemed to work okay.

I'm probably going to go with some other company for my next MP3 player. I'm staying away from Apple and I'm not going to support Creative any more. I really liked the first one I got from them, but my second one has not met my expectations.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']They sold the 64GB first exclusively on the Zune online store.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. Here hoping a deal comes up for the 64GB in the next coming months. I really want to upgrade my 16GB.

As for the Zune Software, detecting my new Music has been easy so far. I just put all my music in one folder and have the Zune look in that folder for any new music. Any time I drag a new folder into that one, the Zune automatically adds it in the software for me to view/edit/listen etc.

[quote name='erehwon']My main issue now is that it just doesn't want to work on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. It's laggy, uses a lot of CPU, and there is a ton of hard drive activity. I can't even tell it to ignore my videos, pictures, and podcasts. I had to sit, waiting for it to go through my items, which it said totaled over 20000 items. It just drags my system down when I run it.[/QUOTE]
The problem with the Zune software on Windows 7 is that instead of using it's own settings to determine where to look for media it uses the Windows 7 library function. I haven't found a way to use the other style of watching folders. It actually doesn't bother me at all though.

[quote name='humidore']ok i tried it...we'll see how it goes, thanks![/QUOTE]

OK, now when i rate songs on my Zune with a broken heart, they don't get taken off the Zune upon synching. I have that check box checked in device settings (along with synch "Items I choose"). When i tried switching to synch all music, things got fucked...Started removing songs real fast, so i had to stop it.

Any ideas how to get it to allow me to synch what i want, when i want, but still remove broken heart songs from the player automatically when synched?

I might pick up a Zune after Windows Phone 7 comes out. WP7 will have Xbox Live integrated. If they do the same with the Zune HD, I think I might pick one up. I'll first wait to see if games actually get made for it first.

MS launched arcade type games for GFWL, but haven't released a single one since. If they release a handful of arcade games for WP7/Zune and then stop, I won't be getting one.

I've already got a 32GB iPhone 4. So, I don't need a Zune. I'd just get one for portable gaming that gives me achievements. :)

Ok some weird shit is going on with the zune software. The other day, just before leaving for vacation I put two movies on the zune hd. There was enough room just for these two movies. Go on vacation and I tried listening to some of my cd's I ripped to it the other day and found out that the zune software either deleted the album art from the album, deleted *some* tracks from an album or deleted the entire album!

Just now as I was syncing to get the latest cag cast I learned that it started updating several of my songs for no reason. Does it have anything to do with Windows Vista? I can hear my hard drive read/write for a very long time and I am wondering if it's indexing something and moving files around or compressing them and then the zune software doesn't see them anymore and removes them from my zune hd?

What could be going on?

Finally after hours of work on my music I got it all to work. If you are having any issues with getting the zune software to recognize your music here is what I did/recommend:

Download Mp3 tag v2.46a

1. Number all tracks. It doesn't matter if you know the order or not. For some reason the software will leave songs out if they are the same length and track name.

2. Make all songs ID3 v2.3. Your Zune might add ID3 v2.1 for some reason (to some songs) but just leave it.

3. Make the album artist the same for an album even if the artists are different. So say for the Bioshock soundtrack. I made the album artist Gary Schyman even though he didn't create any of the licensed songs. It makes you life easier.

4. Tag all your music with album art. Even if the album is already tagged, copy the album art, delete it, and repaste it.

5. Make all disc numbers 1. I don't know if this actually did anything but again it just made life easier. At least make sure all tracks have a disc number

6. Make all track names and file names the same.

7. Give all albums a year and all songs a genre.

This should give you all your tracks. If your Zune ends up with duplicate music the easiest way to tell is to find the songs that don't have a size. AKA the mb space will be blank. Sometimes the zune/zune software will find or keep old versions of song and put them on the player.

The worst part of all this is that after retagging all 5,500 + songs, half of them got deleted for no conceivable reason other than to piss me off. So I've spent the better part of probably 6 hours+ re-tagging my music

Ok, things are really getting strange for my zune hd 32.

Every other time I plug it in, it auto sync my songs. It will randomly sync songs that haven't been changed. When I check my zune hd hardware, I find that a lot of album cover arts have been deleted or albums art intact but songs missing! When checking the hardware via the zune software, the software reports it's on the zune. Something really strange is going on and I am wondering if I should reformat and resync all 350+ albums to my zune to fix the problem?

I am really worried about my zune. I've had it for almost a year and it's glitching like this (deleting albums, messing with disc arts and so on). Do you guys suggest I delete all content on it and just re-sync 6500+ songs?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am really worried about my zune. I've had it for almost a year and it's glitching like this (deleting albums, messing with disc arts and so on). Do you guys suggest I delete all content on it and just re-sync 6500+ songs?[/QUOTE]

Contact Zune support, I don't recall what the warranty is but I could have sworn it was a year...maybe you can score a replacement.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Contact Zune support, I don't recall what the warranty is but I could have sworn it was a year...maybe you can score a replacement.[/QUOTE]

But see I can't tell if it's the hardware that's messed up or the software. The software is reporting little space left but the hard ware says about 2gb left. The software says the albums are there, but the hardware is messing up.

ITDEFX, I've been having a similar problem lately. Probably the last month or so.

Sometimes my Zune will delete album artwork for maybe 10-15 bands at one time. The only way I can fix them is just to Copy/Paste the Artwork into the Software and have the Zune Re-Sync those albums, since the information is changing.

Not sure why it is doing it. It's more annoying than anything.

Huh.

I'm on my second Zune 120, and BOTH of them always did that right from the start. I suspect it is the software, as the glitches would be cloned over to my library on my computer.

Eventually I just got in the habit of making my entire library read only before syncing up with my Zunes.

Anyone ever have an issue where the zune software won't detect all songs in an album. It only lists 2 out of 16. Another album has two songs that won't transfer over to my zune.

I'm getting pretty annoyed over this. It doesn't help that I was never able to get the software to run on windows 7. I have to run it from XP mode.

[quote name='erehwon']Anyone ever have an issue where the zune software won't detect all songs in an album. It only lists 2 out of 16. Another album has two songs that won't transfer over to my zune.

I'm getting pretty annoyed over this. It doesn't help that I was never able to get the software to run on windows 7. I have to run it from XP mode.[/QUOTE]

I had major trouble with this, it would rip a CD but only start on the 2nd track when it was done with the last track it would then re-rip the entire CD.
It turned out that the 1st track was being labeled as Unknown Artist/Unknown track.
Check your Unknown Artist or Unknown folder, all of the missing track ones are probably in there.
You will have to move them into the folder where they belong and right click 'find album info' and it should add all of the art to the effected tracks.

I had the problem when the Zune software was not hitting the CDDB fast enough while I re-ripped my entire collection @320 .

I hope this helps.

[quote name='Richlough']I had major trouble with this, it would rip a CD but only start on the 2nd track when it was done with the last track it would then re-rip the entire CD.
It turned out that the 1st track was being labeled as Unknown Artist/Unknown track.
Check your Unknown Artist or Unknown folder, all of the missing track ones are probably in there.
You will have to move them into the folder where they belong and right click 'find album info' and it should add all of the art to the effected tracks.

I had the problem when the Zune software was not hitting the CDDB fast enough while I re-ripped my entire collection @320 .

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, that didn't help. The one album I used some tagging software to add the album artist. That helped, but there are still a couple that aren't appearing. I'm still having an issue with add these other two songs from another album. I did check the unknowns and didn't see them.

Ok I called tech support and they suggested I delete everything on the zune and re sync everything again :| It worked. All music has been restored.

However I noticed it did not sync a lot of my songs so I am manually resyncing those. :(

So it is a software issue...oh btw how do you set your songs to read only on the zune hard ware??

[quote name='erehwon']Unfortunately, that didn't help. The one album I used some tagging software to add the album artist. That helped, but there are still a couple that aren't appearing. I'm still having an issue with add these other two songs from another album. I did check the unknowns and didn't see them.[/QUOTE]

Download MP3tag v2.46a. Make sure the album artist is the same for all songs. Make sure every song has a track number. Make sure all other information is exactly the same i.e artist, album art, year. The zune software is really god damn picky.

Does anyone know how to change the background image of a song being played. Sometimes I would have a conductor for a song that he has nothing to do with that song.

[quote name='slickkill77']Download MP3tag v2.46a. Make sure the album artist is the same for all songs. Make sure every song has a track number. Make sure all other information is exactly the same i.e artist, album art, year. The zune software is really god damn picky.[/QUOTE]
I used MP3tag to do that for album artist. I guess I should check all the other information.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Does anyone know how to change the background image of a song being played. Sometimes I would have a conductor for a song that he has nothing to do with that song.[/QUOTE]

Can you change that? Was wondering that as well.

I usually have the problem with two groups with the same name but the picture being for the other :)

You can update pictures by album, not by song...however if the song is its own "album" I'm sure you could.

Just right click the image you want on the internet, go into your Zune software, select the album, right-click it and paste.

Zune software update now available.

From what I see they changed :
Font is smaller
More apps for Zune HD (4)
Windows Mobile 7 Apps

Great...the new Zune update killed my current Zune software. I uninstalled everything and I still get install the new Zune version. The error I get doesn't come up on google search either. Something about the Language Pack (FRA) not being installed properly, and the whole thing crashes. :<

EDIT: Uninstalled the software, and rebooted and then it finally went. *phew*

Last edited by a moderator:
My zune is literally on its last legs. The unlock button no longer locks. The zune's HD is clicking. And I have to barely plug it in just to get it to sync.

I'm thinking hard to myself...do I want to deal with another zune or do I just wanna use my droid after this kicks the bucket?

I've used Aimersoft to strip the DRM from videos purchased from iTunes. The videos will play in the Zune software, but I get an error when I try to sync to my device. The software attempts the sync, then each video errors out. Any advice or guidance? Thanks.

[quote name='FluxDF']I've used Aimersoft to strip the DRM from videos purchased from iTunes. The videos will play in the Zune software, but I get an error when I try to sync to my device. The software attempts the sync, then each video errors out. Any advice or guidance? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Does it work on Digital copies ?

Oh my god Microsoft... I've had the Zune HD for over a year now and you still haven't given us a damn good library of apps!?!?!?!!? What the hell are you afraid of the Itune store?!?!?

bread's done
Back