Wrestler
lphoto41.jpg

Author
lbookcover.jpg

TV star AND Singer
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9g4Ub8gL6Q&feature=related[/media]
WWE Color Commentator

lxflgear5.jpg

Most of you know him with the last pic, acting like an undersexed old man howling about "puppies" and mastering the art of the double-entendre on Monday nights. However, Jerry Lawler is an accomplished wrestler and a legend in his hometwon of Memphis, TN.

Lawler has been involved in some of the most brutal, bloody feuds ever. Lawler was, and still is, "king" of the Memphis territory that has spawned many, MANY superstars of the NWA, AWA, and WWF/WWE. Names you all know and love(d), like Flex Kavana (AKA The Rock), Scott Levy (AKA Raven), Jeff Jarrett, Tommy Rich, and many others.

Bonus Video: Prime Time Sunday, December 1979, featuring Memphis Wrestling (and Lawler as a heel).

Part 1:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wzT59pDEHM[/media]
Part 2:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXiSnekvXY[/media]
WWE Superstar page
IMDB page
Wikipedia
The King's own home page

Lawler is great. I met him when USWA did a local high school gym show about 15 years ago. He's a nice guy. He teamed with Double J against the Moondogs.

[quote name='Sporadic']I demand that this thread be retitled The Jerry "Stupid" Lawler Wrestling Topic. :)[/quote]

Someone make a Santino topic next; I'll demand the same thing. :lol:

LOLz @ the XFL jersey. I can remember being at my girlfriend at the time's house when that debuted and walking upstairs to the living room and her dad watching it with a great "WTF?" look on his face.

I met him a few years back at a local bookstore. I think he must have a condo down here or something. There were no WWE shows here at the time, and I live more or less in the middle of nowhere.

Got a copy of his book signed. :)

I remember once when Lawler was out sick and JR was commentating by himself. There was a divas match and JR said "If King were here now he'd be shrieking 'bra and panties!!! bra and panties!!!' " Hearing JR trying to do an impression of Lawler was too much.

Lawler's still got the best punch (let alone flying punch) in the business, and still tells some incredible stories in the ring. All hail the King of Memphis, the man who sold out the Mid-South Coliseum more consecutive times than Elvis Presley - Jerry "the King" Lawler!

Also, for some non-Lawler related legendary footage, here's the infamous Black Saturday Vince-introed NWA: GCW show, and some other footage from around that time.

Black Saturday, with Vince spewing some wonderfully absurd bullshit, and Studd-Bobo Brazil, which was the first WWF match ever broadcast on WTBS. Hell of a showcase for the "best wrestling action" hyped up by Vince, as Bobo was about 60, and both he and Studd moved very slowly. Surprisingly, Bobo kept wrestling on a part-time basis for about... 13 more years.

This match was a deliberate "fuck you" to the WTBS/NWA faithful used to scientific matches, as the most scientific thing in this match was when Bobo and Studd tested the ropes before it. -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFypD9voHME

WM Promo/studio match/Steamboat interview, with the WWF using the NWA's production values. Absolutely surreal, as the WWF's style completely clashed with the NWA's production. Looking at this, it's amazing how far ahead of the curve World Class was with its production. -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUxolrasWO0

Apparently Jack Evans and company were in a car wreck tonight in Chicago due to the weather and they weren't able to make the ROH show tonight. Jack has seemed to have received a concussion. No word on the others yet. The group was perilously close to falling in a ravine. ROH staffers picked them up and brought them into the show.

Jerry Lawler's near-pedophile antics on the commentator stand over the years have gone away over recent months. He's far more subdued, and that's great, because his obnoxious flagrant perversion was killing his legacy.

And he has a helluva legacy to kill off, too.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Apparently Jack Evans and company were in a car wreck tonight in Chicago due to the weather and they weren't able to make the ROH show tonight. Jack has seemed to have received a concussion. No word on the others yet. The group was perilously close to falling in a ravine. ROH staffers picked them up and brought them into the show.[/quote]

Yeah I told you the roads were bad. All iced up. Hope they are not too messed up though.

I actually owned a San Francisco Demons hat, just because I thought the logo looked cool.

5255.gif

Too bad 'Taker didn't play for them.

[quote name='The Tough Enough Wiki Page']In the cover story from the October 5, 2002 issue of the Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter[2], it was revealed that contestant "Lisa" was removed from the show after what was referred to as a "psychotic breakdown". After being left at the house while the other contestants went out to dinner, she began throwing herself against the walls of the house, eventually breaking into the hidden MTV control room and working her way onto the roof. After being talked down by producers, she was committed to a hospital facility to receive psychiatric treatment. Her parents flew in from New Mexico to pick her up, but she physically attacked them, claiming she did not know them. She then escaped custody inside LAX, shutting down a wing of the airport until she was located. Again, she was hospitalized, but she was able to check herself out shortly after. She then contacted Tough Enough producers, claiming she was ready to return to the show. Producers informed her she had been removed from the competition due to her actions. The other contestants (and, subsequently, the audience) were initially told that Lisa simply decided wrestling "wasn't the right career for her".
Lisa then reemerged in Louisville, Kentucky at the Ohio Valley Wrestling training center, claiming that trainer Al Snow and producer John "Big" Gaburik had sent her for additional training, both in the ring and to learn further about the structure of the developmental territory system. At a series of shows in California in September 2002, she managed to talk her way backstage at a series of house shows, and was even allowed to assist with pyro for the wrestlers' entrances at a TV taping. One source even claimed that she had a face-to-face conversation with Vince McMahon, who was apparently unaware of her status with the Tough Enough program. Soon after, her photograph was circulated to security personnel and she was barred from any backstage areas.[/QUOTE]

How did I never hear about this before?

When's the next big PPV? I feel like there should be one tonight for one show or another... I guess its that I always have big papers due on PPV nights and thats usually a good distraction.

[quote name='xcoax']When's the next big PPV? I feel like there should be one tonight for one show or another... I guess its that I always have big papers due on PPV nights and thats usually a good distraction.[/quote]

You could always order the ROH Man Up PPV for 10$.

[quote name='Zen Davis']You could always order the ROH Man Up PPV for 10$.[/QUOTE]

I totally would, but the thing is I don't need to be watching anything. There just usually is something I would want to be watching the night I write papers. Its kind of a blessing in disguise that theres nothing on TV as I have no excuse as to not be writing right now.

[quote name='xcoax']I totally would, but the thing is I don't need to be watching anything. There just usually is something I would want to be watching the night I write papers. Its kind of a blessing in disguise that theres nothing on TV as I have no excuse as to not be writing right now.[/quote]

You're missing out. ;)

Regarding the car accident from yesterday, Rebecca Bayless is the one who picked up Jack Evans, Ruckus, Necro Butcher, The Human Tornado, and Tank Toland after driving for 7 hours on the icy roads to find them somewhere in Indiana.

Feast or Fired match is next.

How's this for a swerve? You pay $29.95 for a PPV and they tell you go have to watch Impact on Monday to find out what happened. This was a a Battle Royal, except nobody can get eliminated. Guys were going over the top and it didn't count. In the end, Scott Steiner, Senshi, Petey Williams and B.G. James all got cases. However, the contents aren't revealed until tomorrow's tapings. Pretty much a waste of time.

---------------------

:rofl: You have got to be kidding me.

[quote name='Sporadic']Feast or Fired match is next.

How's this for a swerve? You pay $29.95 for a PPV and they tell you go have to watch Impact on Monday to find out what happened. This was a a Battle Royal, except nobody can get eliminated. Guys were going over the top and it didn't count. In the end, Scott Steiner, Senshi, Petey Williams and B.G. James all got cases. However, the contents aren't revealed until tomorrow's tapings. Pretty much a waste of time.

---------------------

:rofl: You have got to be kidding me.[/QUOTE]
See ya, Petey. Nice knowing you.

[quote name='JJSP']See ya, Petey. Nice knowing you.[/QUOTE]

My predictions

World = Petey
Tags = Kip
X Division = Senshi
Fired = Scott Steiner

I'm going with Scott Steiner getting fired since on Impact last week there was a promo with Scott saying something to the effect of "Me... I can't get fired... I'm Scott Steiner." Just off of that alone kinda tells me that TNA is going to do some kind of angle around him getting "fired."

[quote name='Zen Davis']You're missing out. ;)

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I plan to see it eventually, just not when more than 10% of my grade is up for grabs depending on how I write tonight. the whole ladder match thing sounds too good to miss.

2 Questions:

I never played much of SvR 2007 on the 360 - does it play pretty similar to 2008? I may pick it up on the cheap since I'm kinda enjoying 2008 at the moment.

Second, as soon as someone finds a dailymotion/whatever video of the Kong/Kim match, could you link it? That sounds like it went down like hot fire, while the rest of the PPV was pretty unspectacular (really? You're shocked about there being crap in the feast/fired match?).

.... wow.

Scott Hall no showed.
Joe just did a rant on the difference between the hard workers of TNA compared to those collecting a paycheck.
Eric Young replaced Scott Hall.

[quote name='Demolition Man']
RIP Gail Kim.

Cause Of Death = Awesome Kong.

Match ended in a DQ but the DQ works out perfectly in the grand scheme of things.
[/quote]
You dick! You got me seriously concerned for about three seconds there lol.

In additional news...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Sal Hammoui's wife passed away and all future FIP shows have been put on hold. For those that don't know, Sal Hammoui is the promoter of FIP and handled [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]all of the editing and duplication for the Ring of Honor DVDs and PPVs.[/FONT]

[quote name='mykevermin']2 Questions:

I never played much of SvR 2007 on the 360 - does it play pretty similar to 2008? I may pick it up on the cheap since I'm kinda enjoying 2008 at the moment.

[/QUOTE]

Sorta. The grapple system is pretty close to the same. The biggest difference is there's none of the play styles in 2008 are in 2007. I think the big addition in 2007 was you couldn't have Mysterio sized character powerbomb Khali sized character.

Turning Point = Mixed bag. It has its good moment. The Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong match is pretty brutal. The tacks tag match is fun for what its worth. Booker T and Kaz vs Robert Roode and Christian Cage was a pretty decent tag match. The rest of the PPV isn't much to write home about.

After the last two PPVs this one is a letdown. Even then it has left a decent setup into the next PPV. We'll wait and see where TNA goes with this.

[quote name='neocisco']Go Steelers! (Cheap heat against myke;)).[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I think a team led by Barry Horowitz at QB, "Hole in One" Barry Darsow at WR, and PN News at RB would have a better chance against the Steelers than this year's Bengals. They aren't 1990's bad, but there is a complete and utter lack of chemistry on the offensive side, and a complete and utter lack of anybody on the defensive side (not to mention the misinterpretation of "special" the coaching staff had in mind when assembling the Bengals' special teams).

So Hall no-showed? Wow. Then again, no.

Thanks for the info terribledeli. I may pick it up.

[quote name='Brak']Lawler has outstayed his welcome.[/QUOTE]

This man speaks truth.

Was I the only one who actually liked Heyman over Lawler (and subsequently, pissed when Lawler took over again)?

Honestly Raw & TNA need new commentators ASAP. SD! and ECW are both fine.

[quote name='Scorch']There should be no Jerry "The King" Lawler's wrestilng topic.[/QUOTE]

fix'd that for ya ;)

So I'm guessing the next wrestling topic is going to be devoted to either Nipple H or Double J amirite?

Man Hall no showed? Wasn't it supposed to be his big comeback or something?

[quote name='Blackout542']Man Hall no showed? Wasn't it supposed to be his big comeback or something?[/quote]

It was...at his local pub.

Added to PWG's All Star Weekend 6...

NIGHT ONE

Jack Evans vs. Roderick Strong
Naruki Doi/Masato Yoshino vs. The Young Bucks
Karl "Machine Gun" Anderson vs. El Generico
Ronin vs. Scorpio Sky
Claudio Castagnoli, Human Tornado, Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Hero, Necro Butcher, Candice LaRae

NIGHT TWO
(If Hero's team wins) Chris Hero vs. Human Tornado - NO DQ
(If Tornado's team wins) Human Tornado vs. Candice LaRae - NO DQ
Naruki Doi/Masato Yoshino vs. Scott Lost/Joey Ryan
Karl "Machine Gun" Anderson vs. Alex Koslov

[quote name='neocisco']It was...at his local pub.[/quote]

Hey yo. Yo. Am I drunk or what? You know Big Kev? Yeah he's drunk too.

Those Scott Hall videos on youtube are the best. I actually wanna see him wrestle. I haven't since his WWE nWo run.

[quote name='Brak']Lawler has outstayed his welcome.[/quote]
In a world where Hogan and Hall exist, this statement is impossible. At least Lawler's mostly-retired.

(You and Never4Ever are inspiring me... the next topics will be Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell, and Tommy Rich. :p)

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']In a world where Hogan and Hall exist, this statement is impossible. At least Lawler's mostly-retired.

(You and Never4Ever are inspiring me... the next topics will be Bill Dundee, Dutch Mantell, and Tommy Rich. :p)[/QUOTE]
At least "Wildfire" is a former ECW champion. :)

bread's done
Back