The Jerry "The King" Lawler Wrestling Topic

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']He's not even 50... and regardless of age the guy is still 7 ft tall and over 300 lbs, I don't think a pudgy schmuck like Joe would stand much of a chance unless he knows some martial arts (outside of TKD) that I'm not familiar with.[/quote]

I'm of the belief that Joe could take Nash as long as Joe had some room to move. Nash's knees are shot to hell and god knows how many surgeries he's had. If Nash managed to catch Joe, that may be another thing, but I'd feel safer putting money on Joe.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I dunno, Joe has that speed, youth and actual fight training. Where as Nash could seriously injure himself trying to put up a fight.

I could picture it now: some shoving, followed by a stiff kick to side of the head from Joe. Nash crumples and promptly tears both quads on the way down.[/quote]

What we'll need to decide this is access to Xbox360s, xbox live, copies of SvR2008 and then caws of Nash and Joe. We could have a street fight to decide it :lol:

Said sadly I don't qualify for most of those conditions, save for the 360.

I, for one, am pleasantly optimistic about next week's Raw, I really think WWE is putting the pieces together for a nice show. The key has been no Cena, of course.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']What we'll need to decide this is access to Xbox360s, xbox live, copies of SvR2008 and then caws of Nash and Joe. We could have a street fight to decide it :lol:

Said sadly I don't qualify for most of those conditions, save for the 360.[/QUOTE]

That'll totally decide it.

Shame I'm pitching my copy of SvrR to a CAG member as soon his end of the trade comes in.

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']Tonight's not the 15th anniversary show?[/quote]

*checks calendar*

no. today's not the tenth.

And can someone PLEASE fix the topic title!? There should be no "the" in front of Jerry. Wrestling threads are possessive to the wrestler. It's bugging the hell out of me.

I'm going to avoid this thread for the next week.. I don't want to be spoiled on Raw next week, I'm hoping for some huge suprises.

[quote name='Scorch']*checks calendar*

no. today's not the tenth.

And can someone PLEASE fix the topic title!? There should be no "the" in front of Jerry. Wrestling threads are possessive to the wrestler. It's bugging the hell out of me.

I'm going to avoid this thread for the next week.. I don't want to be spoiled on Raw next week, I'm hoping for some huge suprises.[/QUOTE]

Good. For all the bitching and lack of substance you offer, you won't be missed.

On that note:

http://www.hustlehustle.com/free/fighters/?id=1120559985

Awesome.

EDIT: The image won't let me embed it, but it's Awesome Kong in her Hustle gimmick, "Margaret," replete with Yellow tut and basket of flowers.

APA was pretty cool to see.

You know, ever since Cena has been injured I'll have to say I've enjoyed watching RAW at least four times as much. I just hope he doesn't show up randomly next Monday.

Also, has it been decided that HHH is the only person that can possibly beat Umaga? I knew from the second Jericho vs. Umaga was announced there was no way he was going to get the win.

Edit: I just watched that Joe video a few pages back, and I have to say real or not that was impressive. I always liked Joe and that just cements my respect in him.

so off topic but i found this pic to be so hilarious

DSC03071.jpg

Spoilers for ECW/Smackdown.

ECW
Charles "The Hammer" Evans over Chavo Guerrero (dark match)
Miz/Morrison over The Major Brothers (non-title)
Video promo for Kofe Kingston - described as very Carlito-ish
Kelly/Balls over Victoria/Kenny
Shelton Benjamin over Jimmy Wang Yang
Kevin Thorne over Jobber #3
CM Punk over Mark Henry

SD
Miz/Morrison over Jesse & Festus
Batista over Elijah Burke
Jamie Noble over Chuck Palumbo
MVP Lounge with Michael Hayes ends in Hayes getting a Playmaker. Rey for the save to set up Rey/MVP at the PPV
Finlay over Deuce. Khali appears afterwards and eats Hornswoggle.
Kane over Edge via DQ. Taker and Batista interfere at the end to set up the triple-threat match.

The Shelton/Yang match and the MVP Lounge were called the highlights.

TNA Impact Taping

LAX defeated Rellik and Black Reign. Jimmy Rave & Lance Hoyt attacked LAX afterwards.
ODB over Gail Kim (non-title). Awesome Kong came out and ate them both post-match.
Christopher Daniels over Senshi to win Senshi's case. They still haven't announced who won what.
Team 3D and Johnny Devine over Jay Lethal, Sabin and Shelley in a Ladder Match.
Kevin Nash, Samoa Joe, Kaz, Eric Young, and Booker T over AJ Styles, Christian, Robert Roode, Tomko, and Kurt Angle. Afterwards, Angle and Roode beat up Christian.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I'm going to go with no.[/quote]
Good, now I know I can skip. Thanks. :) ROH Man Up, here I come...

[quote name='Scorch']And can someone PLEASE fix the topic title!?[/quote]
I'm going to go with no. :D

[quote name='JJSP']Spoilers for ECW/Smackdown.[/quote]
Six matches for ECW, and only one a dark match? Whoa.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to watch ECW tomorrow just to understand how the main event result is even possible.

[quote name='xcoax']I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to watch ECW tomorrow just to understand how the main event result is even possible.[/quote]

ECW is airing on Thursday this week.

[quote name='guyver2077']yup.. sure look like a weird bunch[/quote]

Fans? Are you sure that dude in the white in your pic isn't Samoa Joe himself?

Did anyone notice RAW's promotional images for the 15th anniversary show tonight? It seemed to have Hogan, Austin, The Rock.. and what seemed to be: Booker T.. Eddie Guerrero.. am I seeing things or what?

[quote name='mykevermin']Good. For all the bitching and lack of substance you offer, you won't be missed.

On that note:

http://www.hustlehustle.com/free/fighters/?id=1120559985

Awesome.

EDIT: The image won't let me embed it, but it's Awesome Kong in her Hustle gimmick, "Margaret," replete with Yellow tut and basket of flowers.[/quote]

Anyone ever watched a HUSTLE show? Possibly some of the weirdest shit ever...

Some matches distinctly come to mind... One was Hard Gay vs. a guy that looked like Krizalid from King of Fighters.. I think another was Hard Gay vs. the M. Bison looking fellow. Soooo bizarre.

Hmm ok my 4th post now... Just got done watching Turning Point a little while ago and caught up with the thread. Everyone seems to be pleased with Joe's shoot.. I'm actually ambivalent.

Sure.. he's right, Hall sucks. He's right, Nash is probably better as an on-air personality... or not on air at all... but making enemies with the boss simply is not going to help him win any battles.

And he's also wrong about TNA not pushing young guys. I mean look at the main event. Sure.. you've got a bunch of ex-WWE guys, but you also have AJ and Joe, and isn't that the whole point? Old timers give the rub to new guys? Another example: Team 3D/Divine vs. Lethal/MCMG.. pretty good match that did everything it was supposed to. Here's another one.. Christian/Roode vs. Booker/Kaz. Kaz has been given a major push lately.. Has Joe not noticed that?

I think he's just frustrated that he's not where Angle is...

Having just finished Turning Point, I'll say that it was a mostly mediocre show, but at least the Kong-Kim stuff was great. Kip's attire was somehow more flamboyantly manly beyond my wildest expectations than usual, as he was decked out in white/pink/red Torrie Wilson-ish garb. The highlight of both the feast or fired match and the tack match was that the methods of actually WINNING THE MATCH weren't announced beforehand, and of course, they had the non-finish for the FoF match.

The women's tag match was okay, it was lewd at times, but amusing thanks to the comedic commentary. The tack match was pointless and quite disgusting, particularly the spot where the tacks were thrust into the mouth of Raven. Boy, I bet he's glad he got to be Abyss' partner in that one. Everyone bleed like pigs, but no one in the crowd seemed to care. Shocking. The Joe promo was... something. Extremely unprofessional, for one thing, but also full of passion, which is rare in TNA. It's a shame that things have gotten so bad that TNA is now stick to resorting to mocking their own massive problems in order to try and generate interest in the company, rather than do that with compelling storylines and characters, like oh... every other successful wrestling company in the history of the business.

Quotes for Turning Point -
Tenay - So much intrigue. (30 seconds later) SO MUCH INTRIGUE, SO MUCH INTEREST IN TURNING POINT!
(Lethal elbow off the top)DW - THEY’VE GOT IT, THEY WON!
Tenay - BUT DON, THE REFEREE IS OUT!
DW - OH NO!
(3D plants opponents in a way to make it look like they went through the table, ref gives them win)Tenay - THIS SUCKS!
DW - What’s ironic about this whole thing is that they used the X division belt with the referee knocked out, they used that belt as a weapon, that belt that took both people out.
Tenay - Well, Don, we’re on Pay-Per-View, and I know you love to say it, so what does ODB stand for?
DW - One Dirty Bitch…
(on Velvet Sky’s entrance)DW - You gotta love the creativity… (she does the Keibler entrance)…and there you go!
Tenay - Still to come at Turning Point, the FEAST OR FIRED MATCH!
DW - Nice dropkick through the legs…and now she’s riding ODB!
Tenay - Excuse me!?
DW - Just calling what I’m seeing, Mike.
(Velvet gives ODB a wedgie)DW - WEDGIE TIME! HOLY COW!
(ODB smacks her ass, then grabs the ref‘s hand)DW - SHE WANTS ANDREW THOMAS TO SPANK HER!
(ODB tries to give him a wedgie)DW - SHE’S TRYING TO GIVE HIM A WEDGIE, THIS WHOLE THING HAS JUST TURNED NUTS!
(Velvet schoolgirl’s ODB)Tenay - Oh, she almost got beat there, she was too busy giving a wedgie to Andrew Thomas!
(ODB steps on Velvet’s crotch during a tree of woe) Tenay - What would you call that move? I’ll cover all the hurrancanranas and enziguris you want, maybe you can help out with that one.
DW - Well, I know it wasn’t the dirty dozen - I know that.
Tenay - No, but it might’ve been a cousin of the dirty dozen.
(to Christian)Angle - I like to think of myself as the George Bush of TNA.
Deep-voiced ad guy - James Storm takes on FORMER DRINKING BUDDY, Eric Young!
(James Storm goes for a huge jumping knee drop, and the director misses the landing, instead focusing the camera on a fan holding up a sign, missing the landing)
DW - At Impact, a SITUATION HAPPENED, with Rellik and like a DEATH KICK TO THE HEAD of Rhino has taken the War Machine out of this match.
Penzer - It is now time for FEAST OR FIRED, introducing first, representing Triple X, Senshi, Christopher Daniels, and Elix Skipper (Senshi shakes head in disgust)
(after Petey grabs his case)DW - He’s got NOTHING TO LOSE in my mind, he’s in it for the glory!
(BG catches case)BG - OH SHIT! I DON’T WANT THIS!
Tenay - HE JUST SAID “I DON’T WANT THIS!” I READ HIS LIPS!
Tenay - BG and Kip, in the 3 Live Kru days, held the TNA tag titles, Don, but we don’t know specifically if they have a championship title shot or a pink slip.
DW - We won’t find out until Impact!
DW - Kip’s going up for another case, THINK OF THE ADVANTAGE THIS COULD GIVE VKM - they could have a title shot OR a world title shot!
Tenay - Or they could have a pink slip.
DW - THAT’S RIGHT! It’s the same color as his ridiculous outfit.
Tenay - Good news/bad news situation…
DW - There’s nothing good about that!
(Gail goes for a strike flurry on Kong)Tenay - It’s like trying to chop down a tree, isn’t it Don!?
DW - YEAH, FROM JAPAN!
(Kong kills women’s division)Tenay - I’M GONNA SAY IT AGAIN, WHO THE HELL CAN STOP AWESOME KONG!? Let’s send it to J.B.!
Tenay - Raven turns his attention to Rellik, THAT’S KILLER SPELLED BACKWARDS!
(after Rellik puts tacks Into Raven’s mouth and cross faces him)DW - OH, THAT COULD CAUSE INTERIOR DAMAGE! They could cut his cheek, his tongue, HE COULD EVEN SWALLOW THEM! THAT’S SICK!
Booker - Bobby Roode…
Sharmell - Honey, it’s Robert Roode…
Booker - WHATEVA, tonight, Robert Roode, you’re gonna slip on a banana peel and TAKE MY FINISH RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT RING, and I KNOW YOU CAN DIG THAT, SUCKA!
(after Christian takes a Roode chairshot and a Booker axe kick)DW - He’s in massive SEVERE PAIN! He’s done!
(after Christian springs to life and slaps Roode)DW - OH WE KNEW THAT LIGHT BULB WAS GONNA GO OFF AND THAT THIS WAS GONNA HAPPEN!
Joe - We have two kinds of wrestlers here in TNA - die-hards, who bust their asses for YOU, the fans, and “superstars” who come and screw over every fan, no matter how OLD they are (glares at Nash)
Karen - OH SHUT UP, STOP BEING A CRYBABY!
Joe - So let me tell you what TNA is - TNA is the Motorcity Machine Guns busting their asses and trying to make a break in this business! TNA is Black Machismo doing his damndest to entertain every single fan in this building and showing what’s up! TNA is Samoa Joe coming in here and doing what he does best - wrestle, and be the best damn professional wrestler in the world. (crowd mildly chants “Joe” and slowly claps) TNA is a bunch of hard-working young athletes who are looking to change the wrestling world, guys who held down this business whiles others profiteered from it! (glares at Angle) TNA is the men who risk their lives on scaffolding, on wires, whiles others show up and pad their pensions! (glares at Nash) Scott Hall, chico, kiss my ass! You punked out, and you’re a punk! (to Dixie) You’re mad? Go ahead and fire me, I don’t care. They told me in the back that they were calling everyone to try and get me a new partner, but I told them “no, we don’t need anybody, we got everyone we need in the back right now!” So I said “hey, who wants to go out there in the main event tonight and who wants to get into a fight AND EVERY DAMN ONE OF THE X DIVISION WRESTLERS STOOD UP, every single wrestler whose first TV contract was here in TNA stood up and said “ME!”, but one in particular, bloodied, beaten, battered, bruised, and overlooked by everybody in the world looked at me and said “Joe, please give me the shot”, and without further ado, I announce MY partner, a man who will SHOW UP, a man who will be here and do what he needs to do, a man who is ready for a fight! And a man who will be EVEN WHEN HE’S AN OLD MAN (glares at Nash) I INTRODUCE MY TAG TEAM PARTNER, SHOWTIME ERIC YOUNG, GET OUT HERE AND KICK SOME ASS!
DW - What an unbelievable situation we have here, as Samoa Joe decides to get things off his chest!
Tenay - OH HE DID!
Tenay - Boy, this sure has turned into an interesting Pay-Per-View, hasn’t it!?
Tenay - Dr. Nash connects with a series of blows to Angle!
(after a super kick from Joe saves Nash from the ankle lock)DW - He killed Angle! He’s a professional! He helped Nash!
(as EY and Joe are on-screen)Tenay - ARE YOU WATCHING THE BODY LANGUAGE AS KEVIN NASH HEADS UP THE RAMP!?
DW - Kevin Nash walks out, he doesn’t want anything to do with the win!

A ZIP file of Turning Point screens, including a bunch of Tenay ones, like this gem -
tenaymouthfrownnv3.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jmiogx

Phrostbyte, others have noted that Angle and Booker were in the image, but did you really need to make four posts in a row?

I'm actually glad WWE put Angle and Booker in the image, as they're at least getting some recognition for their part in Raw's success over the years despite not being in WWE any longer.

Having not really watched TNA and seeing Nash again for the first time in years, I'd have to say he looks more like the MadTV sketch "Kenny Rogers' Jackass" than the Kevin Nash I once knew.

Example:
kenny_closeup.jpg

[quote name='neocisco']This is easily one of the best matches I've seen this year. Someone else had posted links in the last thread or two but it's so good it's need to be watched by everyone.

KENTA & Ishimori vs Marufuji & Ibushi 15-Jul-2007 1/3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JeEcetFk46o&feature=related

2/3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SJHAOH9FgDw&feature=related

3/3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BtZq9h8bSp0&feature=related
[/quote]

That someone would be me. I posted it up before but I have no clue how many of you guys gave this a chance. I seriously think it should be given a chance.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Did anyone notice RAW's promotional images for the 15th anniversary show tonight? It seemed to have Hogan, Austin, The Rock.. and what seemed to be: Booker T.. Eddie Guerrero.. am I seeing things or what?[/QUOTE]I remember a long time ago, during the Monday Night Wars, they showed a promo for this "SummerSlam Flashback" special, and they went out of their way to feature footage of people who were in WCW at the time. It was a huge WTF moment back in '97, to see this WWF commercial mention Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Curt Hennig, etc.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Did anyone notice RAW's promotional images for the 15th anniversary show tonight? It seemed to have Hogan, Austin, The Rock.. and what seemed to be: Booker T.. Eddie Guerrero.. am I seeing things or what?[/quote]

Nope, I think it's just going to be flashback clips though for most of the ones they showed. Unless Eddie Guerrero rises from his grave, that's the only way he'll be featured on the show.

Whew, skip 24 hours of CAG and everything jumps way ahead on you.

Anyhow, thanks for the info on the Rumble boxed set. I might have to skip out on getting a new GBA and scrape together funds for the set before it vanishes entirely or is edited.

Busta - I still haven't started on my Firepro edits but I will this afternoon after classes and running a few errands. I'll probably post my solution (or failure) in the PS2 Firepro thread.

I'll do a best 2 out of 3 falls Joe vs Nash match in Firepro. My feeling is that Nash will win out. He isn't a Vader-level critical monster but he's close.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Ring Of Honor's third PPV, "Man Up"....was from a wrestling standpoint, up there with the best PPVs of all time. Seriously." - Dave Meltzer, 12/3/07 Wrestling Observer Newsletter

"After hearing about this PPV for months, it was exciting to finally see if ROH could live up to the hype, and they certainly delivered. Specifically, the Briscoes vs. Steen & Generico exceeded months of hype to deliver the tag match of the year and a top five contender for overall match of the year....This might have cemented Briscoes vs. Steen & Generico as feud of the year in pro wrestling." - James Caldwell, PWTorch.com

"Order the Ring Of Honor pay-per-view. Order it. Order it. Order it....Morishima vs. Danielson is incredible to watch....I can't endorse this one enough....I really think it's worth checking out" - Buck Woodward, PWInsiderelite.com hotline.

[/FONT]
After giving it some extra consideration, it seems that Joe's outburst on Sunday had probably been building up for a long, long time, going back to as far as when Kurt Angle probably debuted in TNA. Scott Hall no-showing was probably the straw that broke the camel's back and after dealing with so many of the young guys who do their damndest to make a name in the business, only to get passed over because someone from the WWE showed up, and dealing with some of the most respectful talent around the world, and do what's best for business type mentality which he probably had grown accoustomed to in ROH, Japan, and other places, he probably wasn't going to stand for people to be blown off any longer.

At the same time, should Joe leave TNA, the odds of him being treated well in WWE are now in doubt, especially since Nash, Hall, HBK, and Triple H are known to all ride together and with Joe shitting all over Hall and Nash, I wonder how Michaels and Hunter are taking it and how the politics in the WWE would work against him.

Finally, did anyone notice that when Joe was shooting on Nash, Nash grabbed his crotch?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]

[quote name='Halo05']Whew, skip 24 hours of CAG and everything jumps way ahead on you.

Anyhow, thanks for the info on the Rumble boxed set. I might have to skip out on getting a new GBA and scrape together funds for the set before it vanishes entirely or is edited.

Busta - I still haven't started on my Firepro edits but I will this afternoon after classes and running a few errands. I'll probably post my solution (or failure) in the PS2 Firepro thread.

I'll do a best 2 out of 3 falls Joe vs Nash match in Firepro. My feeling is that Nash will win out. He isn't a Vader-level critical monster but he's close.[/QUOTE]

This brings up an interesting topic of discussion: how will future DVD releases be handled? They couldn't do a WM/RR/SSlam/SSeries box sets and omit Benoit entirely, and wrestler-specific videos will almost certainly include matches with Benoit (how could a Chris Jericho set, for instance, omit their classic matches?).

Does anyone have any idea, or know if matches w/ Benoit were included in the HBK and/or Rey Misterio DVDs?

[quote name='Zen Davis']After giving it some extra consideration, it seems that Joe's outburst on Sunday had probably been building up for a long, long time, going back to as far as when Kurt Angle probably debuted in TNA. Scott Hall no-showing was probably the straw that broke the camel's back and after dealing with so many of the young guys who do their damndest to make a name in the business, only to get passed over because someone from the WWE showed up, and dealing with some of the most respectful talent around the world, and do what's best for business type mentality which he probably had grown accoustomed to in ROH, Japan, and other places, he probably wasn't going to stand for people to be blown off any longer.

At the same time, should Joe leave TNA, the odds of him being treated well in WWE are now in doubt, especially since Nash, Hall, HBK, and Triple H are known to all ride together and with Joe shitting all over Hall and Nash, I wonder how Michaels and Hunter are taking it and how the politics in the WWE would work against him.

Finally, did anyone notice that when Joe was shooting on Nash, Nash grabbed his crotch?[/QUOTE]

Wrestling is fake. Someone should tell Joe.

[quote name='mykevermin']Does anyone have any idea, or know if matches
w/ Benoit were included in the HBK and/or Rey Misterio DVDs?[/quote]

From the lists I've seen, neither include matches that feature him.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wrestling is fake. Someone should tell Joe.[/quote]
True. Wrestling is fake. But it's also a job and most people always expect to achieve and receive a certain level of professionalism in whatever line of work they chose to do. Joe expected professionalism out of Scott Hall. He didn't get it and hence he popped a vein. Maybe even three. I'm just saying that it may come back and bite him in the ass big time down the road.

So what? Why does that suddenly give him the right to throw out not-very-thinly-veiled comments towards Angle (who has had great matches and put people over in TNA) and Nash (who...kinda did that)?

It's Hall's screwup, and that does not give him the right to take it out on other guys, just because they got more "wins" over Joe than vice versa. I think Joe's a mark for himself, like Bret Hart. Believing his own bullshit, thinking he "deserves" the belt. Thinking that it matters, and throwing a temper tantrum because the bad timing (and good fortune) of Angle's arrival took his "spot."

Cry me a fuckin' river, and forget that you get a great paycheck. If you want accolades, go earn fuck-all on the indy circuit in front of 50 fans a night. If you want "big time," shut up and wait your turn.

Yes, what Hall did was classless. What does it have to do with Nash and Angle?

[quote name='mykevermin']So what? Why does that suddenly give him the right to throw out not-very-thinly-veiled comments towards Angle (who has had great matches and put people over in TNA) and Nash (who...kinda did that)?

It's Hall's screwup, and that does not give him the right to take it out on other guys, just because they got more "wins" over Joe than vice versa. I think Joe's a mark for himself, like Bret Hart. Believing his own bullshit, thinking he "deserves" the belt. Thinking that it matters, and throwing a temper tantrum because the bad timing (and good fortune) of Angle's arrival took his "spot."

Cry me a fuckin' river, and forget that you get a great paycheck. If you want accolades, go earn fuck-all on the indy circuit in front of 50 fans a night. If you want "big time," shut up and wait your turn.

Yes, what Hall did was classless. What does it have to do with Nash and Angle?[/quote]
I think Joe was just beyond pissed and that was why he apologized the next night. I'm simply trying to rationalize, understand, and discuss why he flipped out like he did towards Nash and Angle, among others who weren't at ringside and the ramifications of his actions/words. Fact is, he put over a lot of people including the Motor City Machine Guns, Jay Lethal, and Eric Young but do you think the others felt glad that he was speaking for them or what?

I don't see the point of Joe going off on Hall, he should be having a go at TNA, probably in private would be better.

I remember when I started watching TNA maybe a year a go, I really enjoyed it. Now watching it is like watching WCW back in the mid-late nineties. Except at least then you had decent matches with Malenko, Jericho and the luchadores to even out all the crap with Hogan, Sting, Hall, Nash and the 8 different versions of the NWO.

Now the X-division is a joke and there's way too many ex-WWF "stars" who are past their prime hanging around, but thats not Hall's fault, it's TNA's. When I started watching it they kept the "skits" to a minimum and pushed the right people in some good matches. Vince must be laughing his ass-off at what TNA has become now. Or maybe he's worried they might start stealing his Katie Vick or "woman gives birth to hand" angles

ROH is getting yet another retail store DVD run - From ROHWrestling.com -
Ring Of Honor and KOCH Vision have reached an agreement to release a series of exclusive ROH DVDs. The first two DVDs are set for an April 1st release in retail outlets nationwide.
"Blood Stained Honor" and "Stars Of Honor" will be the first two releases. Both DVDs will be 180+ minutes and feature new commentary tracks on some classic matches. As a bonus the packaging will include a ROH limited edition trading card. There will be six cards total. The suggested retail price will be $14.98.
"This is an exciting opportunity for Ring Of Honor," ROH President Cary Silkin said. "This will make the ROH product very accessible to a whole new audience. We are very proud of both these DVDs and feel they will be great for any new or longtime ROH fan."
"Blood Stained Honor" will feature the violent side of ROH with some of the most crimson covered contests in ROH history. The match listing has:
-Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe in a Steel Cage - 3/13/04 (features new commentary)
-The Second City Saints (CM Punk and Ace Steel) vs. the Prophecy (Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer) in a Chicago Street Fight - 7/24/04 (features new commentary)
-CM Punk vs. Jimmy Rave in a Dog Collar match - 5/07/05
-Generation Next (Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Jack Evans, and Matt Sydal) vs. The Embassy (Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley, Abyss, and Prince Nana) in Steel Cage Warfare - 12/3/05
-Colt Cabana vs. Homicide in a Ghetto Street Fight - 2/25/06
-Team ROH (Samoa Joe, Adam Pearce, and BJ Whitmer) vs. Team CZW (Chris Hero,
Super Dragon, and Necro Butcher) - 4/22/06
-Colt Cabana vs. Jimmy Jacobs in a Windy City Death Match - 2/24/07
-Kevin Steen and El Generico vs. Jay and Mark Briscoe in a Boston Street Fight - /10/07

"Stars Of Honor" looks at how some of wrestling best known names fared in ROH. When pro wrestlers want to showcase their skills with no restrictions and limitations they come to ROH. "Stars Of Honor" will feature:
-Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk - 12/4/04 (features new commentary)
-Homicide vs. Antonio "MVP" Banks - 2/19/05 (features new commentary)
-James (Noble) Gibson vs. Roderick Strong - 4/2/05 (features new commentary)
-Bryan Danielson vs. Brian "Spanky" Kendrick - 4/2/05 (features new commentary)
-Matt Hardy vs. Homicide - 8/12/05
-Matt Hardy vs. Roderick Strong - 8/13/05
-Christopher Daniels vs. Christian Cage - 7/29/06
-Samoa Joe and Jay Lethal vs. Low Ki and Homicide - 8/13/05

Bonus material:
-The History of Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk
-Larry Sweeney confronts Bruno Sammartino
-Mick Foley and CM Punk promo

We'll have more details in the upcoming months as new ROH DVDs hit a retail store near you!!!
Excellent prices for the sets, and both sets' match listings are solid. I'm glad that TNA's DVD deal didn't restrict ROH from putting guys under a TNA contract on their national releases, which did affect the match lineups for other DVDs, most notably, Hardcore Homecoming: November Reign.

[quote name='tangytangerine']From the lists I've seen, neither include matches that feature him.[/QUOTE]

There's really no Benoit on either DVD set. It's a jarring omission on the HBK set because the later part of the documentary portion goes over his WM matches in a fair amount of detail. Pardon me if I get the order wrong but it winds up looking something like this.

WM 18 - Big match against Jericho, interviews with Jericho talking about how awesome it was to be working with the guy who he pretty much modeled his style after.

WM 19 - HBK vs. Vince. Interviews with people talking about how Shawn got a really good match out of Vince which is hard because Vince isn't a wrestler.

WM 20 - No mention of the incredible 3 way match between HBK, HHH and Benoit.

WM 21 - Lengthy discussion about the show-stealing Angle vs. HBK match.

And so on. It's very noticable when you're watching the documentary. They really need to find a way to mention Benoit in a way that separates the wrestler in the ring from the man at home.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You know, I know Benoit did unspeakable things, but WWE trying to erase him from history is pretty damn stupid.[/QUOTE]

Nevertheless, there are valid (PR) reasons for omitting him. It's a tough call for them either way, really. I feel bad for the amount of bad publicity he brought the business that the WWE is not responsible for.

I don't think the WWE is totally blameless in a number of ways, but the setbacks he's given them will be interesting to see unfold over the next few years.

WWE isn't stupid for "erasing" Benoit from history, and they do seem to be at least trying to keep his matches on DVDs without mentioning them, although I have a feeling we'll now only be seeing them on event sets, and without his matches actually being mentioned on the packaging (like the Summerslam triple pack).

As for Joe, I understand that he's frustrated, but he comes off like an ingrate for knocking Angle when it's the first match with Angle that basically made Joe in the eyes of many new TNA fans (about 30,000 going by the buyrate increase), and sure Nash is old, but it's easy for Joe to knock Nash now - let's see how well Joe's body holds up when he's about 50, particularly with the high-impact style he works.

bread's done
Back