- - - - -

Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

#1081 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

Not that any of you would have this laying around, but it popped up while I was checking guide TIVs:

http://www.amazon.co...059853&sr=1-351

More relevant TIVs:

Art of Halo 3 - $52.75
Art of World of Warcraft - $38.00

I believe the WoW book came with the original CE, so I don't think many of you would have it laying around - but I feel like the Halo 3 book is something you guys might have.

#1082 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49869 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

If it's anything like the other FFT guides, I'd snag the $24 now and look to pick it up on the cheap later on. Plus I'm pretty sure the Prima guide for ps1 covers most of the character customization tricks.

That's what I did with my FFT: WoTL guide. The FF1 and FF2 guides for PSP don't sell back for much, nothing for FF1 and $3-something for FF2.

Have to try some other random guides and see what happens.

#1083 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

That's what I did with my FFT: WoTL guide. The FF1 and FF2 guides for PSP don't sell back for much, nothing for FF1 and $3-something for FF2.

Have to try some other random guides and see what happens.

Forgot how i got there, but i just listed all books in the category of video games and scanned down the list until i found ones with a higher looking value....then looked if i had it =]

#1084 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49869 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:41 AM

Forgot how i got there, but i just listed all books in the category of video games and scanned down the list until i found ones with a higher looking value....then looked if i had it =]

Oh, you need to figure out how you did that. :D

#1085 VendettaXBL   Hunter Master Race CAGiversary!   7493 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

VendettaXBL

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

Oh, you need to figure out how you did that. :D

Here you guys go :D

http://www.amazon.co...23928572&rnid=5

All you have to do is go into Book Trade in, Computer & Technology, Game Guides. That is how I found Star Ocean TLHI and Assassins Creed 1 Artbook :D

#1086 Twilight Sparkle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Twilight Sparkle

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Here you guys go :D

http://www.amazon.co...23928572&rnid=5

All you have to do is go into Book Trade in, Computer & Technology, Game Guides. That is how I found Star Ocean TLHI and Assassins Creed 1 Artbook :D

Amazing. Thank you.

#1087 PapaSmerf   Central Scrutinizer CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

Anyone have any guide trade-in results from Amazon yet? My big batch shows delivered in tracking, so should probably have something by Monday.

#1088 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

My star ocean and AC artbook were accepted the other day

#1089 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not that any of you would have this laying around, but it popped up while I was checking guide TIVs:

http://www.amazon.co...059853&sr=1-351

More relevant TIVs:

Art of Halo 3 - $52.75
Art of World of Warcraft - $38.00

I believe the WoW book came with the original CE, so I don't think many of you would have it laying around - but I feel like the Halo 3 book is something you guys might have.

Actually I DO have that Art of World Of Warcraft. If I remember correctly I picked it up from a far off GS soon after I found CAG and found out about pennied guides.:D I even remember that it was on a very, very low shelf on the front of the counter at said store.

Scary, huh?

#1090 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   19139 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

You always remember your first.

Wait...what?

#1091 WeaponX2099   You walk on the subway CAGiversary!   5403 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

I have figured something out. Always get Harvest Moon guides.

#1092 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have figured something out. Always get Harvest Moon guides.

Yep. I noticed that too and I can't imagine how many of those I probably passed up at BB/GS stores for a couple of years just because I went after the CE/LE/SE ones first. Yet some of those guides are worth bupkiss now compared to the HM ones.:roll:

#1093 PapaSmerf   Central Scrutinizer CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

OK, Amazon rejected my Resident Evil Archives guide due to wrong ISBN #. I really hope I get my guide back in the same shape as I shipped it (packed very well). I am wondering now however if they post some inaccurate ISBN's.

I looked up the trade-in value for my Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition and my ISBN does not match the one they post. How could this be? Could there possibly be multiple ISBN's for this guide. This seems very unlikely.

Has anyone else run across this?

EDIT: I see now looking at my sealed copy, the backpage (insert) has the ISBN that is listed on the Amazon trade-in site. I am fairly certain the ISBN on the first page of the guide itself is different, but I'm obviously not going to bust open this guide just to find out.

Edited by PapaSmerf, 22 December 2011 - 01:25 AM.

#1094 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12508 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

So how are these guys finding the phantom guides on the BB website? I know the old symbol trick "*" "&" "$" , but what are they doing to find the Fable CEs?

#1095 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

OK, Amazon rejected my Resident Evil Archives guide due to wrong ISBN #. I really hope I get my guide back in the same shape as I shipped it (packed very well). I am wondering now however if they post some inaccurate ISBN's.

I looked up the trade-in value for my Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition and my ISBN does not match the one they post. How could this be? Could there possibly be multiple ISBN's for this guide. This seems very unlikely.

Has anyone else run across this?

EDIT: I see now looking at my sealed copy, the backpage (insert) has the ISBN that is listed on the Amazon trade-in site. I am fairly certain the ISBN on the first page of the guide itself is different, but I'm obviously not going to bust open this guide just to find out.

I always check to make sure trades will work by typing in the isbn/upc into Amazon's search and seeing if the guide/game i want to trade in is what comes up.

#1096 PapaSmerf   Central Scrutinizer CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:08 AM

I always check to make sure trades will work by typing in the isbn/upc into Amazon's search and seeing if the guide/game i want to trade in is what comes up.

Yes, but in this case it seems like they will never get a match or at least have an out for any trade for DAO CE. I suspect it is the same for RE Archives.

Reading the fine print however, it seems they can refuse a trade-in at any time for no reason at all.

#1097 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49869 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

Yes, but in this case it seems like they will never get a match or at least have an out for any trade for DAO CE. I suspect it is the same for RE Archives.

Reading the fine print however, it seems they can refuse a trade-in at any time for no reason at all.

How irritating that they might try to slime out of a trade. :roll:

They took my RE: Archives, Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar, Assassin's Creed artbook and Star Ocean: TLHI guides and didn't bat an eyelash at any of them.

#1098 Collectorguy00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   657 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Collectorguy00

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:35 AM

They took my Assassin's Creed (which had a mark on the cover art) and my Mass Effect with no problems. I was expecting problems with ME since the ISBN wasn't located on the back of the book but on the first page and if whoever was lazy they could of not cared and just rejected it because it wasn't right in their face. I'm happy!

#1099 lawdood   Digital Jedi CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

Got my $175 in credit for Star Ocean and the Ass Creed/ Mass Effect art books. Happy camper am I.

#1100 PapaSmerf   Central Scrutinizer CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

I got my RE: Archives book back after Amazon refused it for wrong ISBN. What do you know it matches. Like there was any doubt. Amaholes.

#1101 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9896 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

So how are these guys finding the phantom guides on the BB website? I know the old symbol trick "*" "&" "$" , but what are they doing to find the Fable CEs?

I have been wondering about that too, they are listed under exclusive product offers but when you click that category it goes to a blank page that won't load.

#1102 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

I haven't figured it out as of yet either. But if I do, I'll be sure to let you guys know....right after I order some.;)

#1103 Owen   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1591 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

I sent all my stuff to Amazon in one big box and they just sent a message that 5 of the guides are still pending and issued the gift card for the rest. Did anyone else have any issues like this?

#1104 PapaSmerf   Central Scrutinizer CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Well, I found another guide that would be nearly impossible to trade in to Amazon. I sent in the Fallout 3 GOTY Collector's Edition. I did not check the ISBN before sending it in because, hey these things are numbered. There can't be more than one ISBN right? Well there isn't, but the ISBN for the hardcover is only found on the back cover slip that is inside the plastic wrap but not attached to the guide.

The only ISBN that can be seen if the back cover slip was not saved is the one on the first printed page of the guide. Well that ISBN is for the softcover GOTY guide. Prima must have printed the same exact copy for the HC guide without bothering to correct the ISBN. :wall:

#1105 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49869 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Well, I found another guide that would be nearly impossible to trade in to Amazon. I sent in the Fallout 3 GOTY Collector's Edition. I did not check the ISBN before sending it in because, hey these things are numbered. There can't be more than one ISBN right? Well there isn't, but the ISBN for the hardcover is only found on the back cover slip that is inside the plastic wrap but not attached to the guide.

The only ISBN that can be seen if the back cover slip was not saved is the one on the first printed page of the guide. Well that ISBN is for the softcover GOTY guide. Prima must have printed the same exact copy for the HC guide without bothering to correct the ISBN. :wall:

A number of the CE guides from Prima and Brady are the same way. There's no UPC / ISBN on the back cover of the guide, and it's on the slip placed on the back cover of the guide.

DA: O CE, DA2 CE, F3 GOTY CE, ME2 CE, just to name a few.

#1106 VendettaXBL   Hunter Master Race CAGiversary!   7493 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

VendettaXBL

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Motherfucker!!
http://www.amazon.co...raising the bar

Went up $30 from when I traded mine in :bomb:

Debating trading in a bunch of my rarer guides. Uncharted 1 is hovering around $84.25, Star Ocean 2nd Evo is $36.79 among others.

#1107 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Yea, i saw a few that went up since i sent in - like Oblivion GOTY....but then a lot went down too....like Star Ocean to $4 =]

#1108 MildObstruction   then let my “insanity” be the mother of my betrayal CAGiversary!   16704 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

MildObstruction

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have been wondering about that too, they are listed under exclusive product offers but when you click that category it goes to a blank page that won't load.

I've found that you can plug a search like this in to google and at least find the two exclusive offers I've heard of:

site:www.bestbuy.com "exclusive offers" Our Price: $0.01

But that's certainly not the best way to go about hunting things like this down. It also means there's a way that search spiders end up finding them, so I imagine there's a more realistic way.

Is a guide disappearing online ever a precursor to penny goodness? The Borderlands GOTY guide (sku 1440665) just disappeared today from the online listings for Best Buy. I've been interested in that one for a while but won't be able to get to the only Best Buy with it in stock for probably another two weeks to check it.

#1109 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12508 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

I've found that you can plug a search like this in to google and at least find the two exclusive offers I've heard of:

site:www.bestbuy.com "exclusive offers" Our Price: $0.01

But that's certainly not the best way to go about hunting things like this down. It also means there's a way that search spiders end up finding them, so I imagine there's a more realistic way.

Is a guide disappearing online ever a precursor to penny goodness? The Borderlands GOTY guide (sku 1440665) just disappeared today from the online listings for Best Buy. I've been interested in that one for a while but won't be able to get to the only Best Buy with it in stock for probably another two weeks to check it.

Went to BB and the one copy they had is now gone. It may have pennied. I know best buy HAS done Friday drops before.

#1110 FOnewearl   Whooooooooa Bundy! CAGiversary!   1749 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

I noticed that the number of guides went down 1 either yesterday or today but don't keep track close enough to know which guide it was and when it goes down 1 I always figure it could be something that sold out just as well.

Earlier this week it went down about 10 guides which I'm guessing could be a precursor to a good sized January drop.