Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

[quote name='guessed']Some suggestions:
5. I used to work at a GS before I got a real job.
[/quote]

Trash the employees as much as you want, but dealing with the elitist customers is a job in and of itself. And if they weren't there, you wouldn't be able to harass them to get your cheap guides, so their job IS important to you.

1. Heard about it in a G.I. Joe Cartoon. Knowing is half the battle.
2. Casey told me. He also said something about Paul's mother, but I'm too polite to repeat it.
3. When I bought my 360 and $500 worth of games at the other GS, they told me about it and threw in a few penny guides. I guess I'll just have to keep spending my money there (try to downplay the fact that you are just buying 4 Xbox games for $6 total).
4. Good question. How come you two don't know about it.
6. Every retail store has a clearance list, duh. That guide has (those guides have) been out for x years. I really want to know how to beat the final boss in Pong, dammit.
7. I read about it on the interweb. Thanks Al Gore.
8. I'm psychic. I also know that you two don't have girlfriends. Impressive, no?
9. I'm an uber-hacker. I'm hacking you right now. Hack, hack.
10. I just know.[/quote]

Once in a while we get a post like this. 'Tis the only reason why I hang around CAG forums:applause::bow:

[quote name='dragonjud']Once in a while we get a post like this. 'Tis the only reason why I hang around CAG forums:applause::bow:[/quote]
Well, that and the occasionally bitchin' new deals.

Its a good thing that all threads aren't this good (like h3llbring3r and guessed's posts) or I'd be on CAG all the time.

2. Casey told me. He also said something about Paul's mother, but I'm too polite to repeat it.
3. When I bought my 360 and $500 worth of games at the other GS, they told me about it and threw in a few penny guides. I guess I'll just have to keep spending my money there (try to downplay the fact that you are just buying 4 Xbox games for $6 total).
6. Every retail store has a clearance list, duh. That guide has (those guides have) been out for x years. I really want to know how to beat the final boss in Pong, dammit.
8. I'm psychic. I also know that you two don't have girlfriends. Impressive, no?
10. I just know.[/QUOTE]

What I would have done is slightly evil and inconsiderate but... you know. I do what I do. First, get denied the right to purchase the guide at the price in the system. Then confront them about it and compare their destroying of the guides . Then they'll feel bad and give them to you. to the book burning atrocities throughout history

Oh yeah, foolproof plan....

[quote name='dragonjud']
This time I got the following line: 'Oh, the reason that the price is different is because all guides are $10.00 until sometime in February.' Another co-worker chimes in 'Yeah, it was in some mail we got'.[/quote]

That would be awesome.

Confirmation anyone?

[quote name='TFN']That would be awesome.

Confirmation anyone?[/quote]

Hmm, They were being sarcastic d**** and smirking while they were saying that. Obviously not true...just coming up with some excuse to allow the override.
An unsuspecting customer would've thought he/she was getting a great deal, since the guides in question would otherwise be $19.99 each.

10. I just know.[/quote]

Well done sir. Well done.

Numbers 1, 7 and 9 are especially brilliant. :)

PS - my local GS has a very cool staff.

The manager (she) decided that the best thing to do with the guides when they hid $.01 is to stack them behind the counter and give them away to anyone who wants them. Period; the end.

This has become extremely handy, as you would imagine.

SO, not all GS employees suck - just those that think they no more than you, and are just dying to prove it to you...

(Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is the rarest XBOX game...dumbass.)

[quote name='Orrimarrko']PS - my local GS has a very cool staff.

The manager (she) decided that the best thing to do with the guides when they hid $.01 is to stack them behind the counter and give them away to anyone who wants them. Period; the end.

This has become extremely handy, as you would imagine.

SO, not all GS employees suck - just those that think they no more than you, and are just dying to prove it to you...

(Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is the rarest XBOX game...dumbass.)[/quote]
Sounds just like my GS. I bought the Persona 3 guide yesterday and left with about 10 more guides.
(From previous drops nothing new)

The guy that works there actually calls me when they drop guides.
So I get first dibs.

10. I just know.[/quote]Not bad. My favorite is pretty simple, "Corporate sends me the emails." For me it isn't a lie as I don't specify which corporate.

See now, this is what GS should do before just dropping stuff to .01. Drop it to $10 first, then $5, then once those remaining copies don't sell, then penny them.

I would've gladly bought some of the guides I was later on denied buying @ .01 for $5-10. But, I guess for the longest time, GS has had an 'all or nothing' mentality.

I think they don't drop prices because they're (Prima/Brady) afraid people won't ever pay full price....but after a game has been out for 6 months the guides just don't really move, except RPG guides....not that they really do anyway. They'd end up with more money if they dropped the prices though instead of just pennying guides, definitely.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See now, this is what GS should do before just dropping stuff to .01. Drop it to $10 first, then $5, then once those remaining copies don't sell, then penny them.

I would've gladly bought some of the guides I was later on denied buying @ .01 for $5-10. But, I guess for the longest time, GS has had an 'all or nothing' mentality.[/quote]
Best Buy has done this in the past, and I've picked up a number of them that were down to $9.99. Well, I didn't pay $9.99 of course, due to that great and long-missed GamePro coupon that made them $5.

I miss the GGC, which I never got a chance to use before they disappeared, with their storied coupon for $5 off any game(I believe that was the amount the coupon took off, right?).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I miss the GGC, which I never got a chance to use before they disappeared, with their storied coupon for $5 off any game(I believe that was the amount the coupon took off, right?).[/quote]The GGC worked on games + accessories. Didn't work that well on guides.

The GamePro coupon worked on guides, and was fantastic for $9.99 guides.

[quote name='shrike4242']The GGC worked on games + accessories. Didn't work that well on guides.

The GamePro coupon worked on guides, and was fantastic for $9.99 guides.[/quote]

Zelda:TP hardcover for $5. That was a good day.

Quick Question, how do I go about making a CML to show what guides I have to people? I assume I just make a thread somewhere and then make the CML be a link, but I cant figure out how to set one up so i have the small CML button near my name in the first place. do I have to be here for a full year? I've been here since july.

I stopped by a local EB/GS and found it odd that the Sonic the Hedgehog guide is still staying strong at $19.99. hasn't this been out a year plus?

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']Quick Question, how do I go about making a CML to show what guides I have to people? I assume I just make a thread somewhere and then make the CML be a link, but I cant figure out how to set one up so i have the small CML button near my name in the first place. do I have to be here for a full year? I've been here since july.[/quote]

I see a lot of people putting it in their sig now with spoiler tags around it.

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']Quick Question, how do I go about making a CML to show what guides I have to people? I assume I just make a thread somewhere and then make the CML be a link, but I cant figure out how to set one up so i have the small CML button near my name in the first place. do I have to be here for a full year? I've been here since july.[/QUOTE]

You get the CML button by putting in a link to your list in your profile. It's at the bottom.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I miss the GGC, which I never got a chance to use before they disappeared, with their storied coupon for $5 off any game 19.99 and up[/quote]

Fixed

Went to GS today to take advantage of the 30% bonus trade and found a sealed copy of Heavenly Sword. They then scanned it and came up as .01. He seemed shocked and asked the manager if it was right. He confirmed, and just gave me the guide for free. I had them check Eternal Sonata but it was still $18, hopefully it will be pennied soon and they will forget to remove it from the shelf.

[quote name='Josef']So, here are the guides known to be $9.99 at Gamestop. Are any of them worth a pick up at that price besides Persona 3 and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness?

Persona 3
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Blue Dragon
Assassin's Creed
Beowulf
Legend of Zelda: PH
Halo 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect
Need for Speed: Pro Street
Lego Star Wars: The complete Saga
The Golden Compass
Rock Band[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'd def. grab Persona 3 and maybe Disgaea (if it's Double Jump). Those other guides are elible for penny drops and still be there in the future at EB and other stores like Best Buy.

I can't sleep on Persona 3 any longer. I remember my sadness of messing around with the Nocturne guide and never getting one of those.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I can't sleep on Persona 3 any longer. I remember my sadness of messing around with the Nocturne guide and never getting one of those.[/quote] Tell me about it. I remember holding the Nocturne guide in my hand and it's only $10, but the cover had bad shelf wear so I didn't pick it up. Still lose sleep over it :cry:

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Honestly, I'd def. grab Persona 3 and maybe Disgaea (if it's Double Jump). Those other guides are elible for penny drops and still be there in the future at EB and other stores like Best Buy.

I can't sleep on Persona 3 any longer. I remember my sadness of messing around with the Nocturne guide and never getting one of those.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Disgaea guide is Double Jump. It also covers the original Disgaea so it was a definite purchase for me.

I saw a Persona 3 guide the other day, but for such a tiny guide I couldn't pull the trigger. Probably a false assumption, but for a game I don't own, I couldn't do it.

Grabbed Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness guide (x2) at Gamestop today for 8.99 each (10% coupon). Been searching for Persona 3 guide, but no dice (3 gamestops). If anybody is willing to help/trade, pm me.

Wish I would have known that Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness was $9.99. There was one at the GS I went to yesterday. I will have to go pick that up tomorrow since I have no classes tomorrow.

Whoah! Didn't know they reprinted the Disgaea guide for the PSP port. Def. need to pick that up, along with P3 if I can find them.

hopefully best buy has a nice drop tomorrow. as I am picking up my order from the 2 for $30 sale. also I plan to pick up that Disgaea PSP Guide at EB/GS for $8.99 after 10% off coupon.

[quote name='camelking6969']i feeel like it will be tommorow[/quote]

Wouldn't we already know by now though if there was gonna be a drop?

[quote name='Antic']Wouldn't we already know by now though if there was gonna be a drop?[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Stealth drops are your friend ;)

No, we wouldn't, since our former source(whose name on CAG eludes me right now) has gone MIA for the past X number of drops. I really wish we had some advance notice, so I could've tried to stash 1-2 of each that may drop tomorrow earlier today. But, it would appear that we're blind as far as drops go @ BB anymore.

Best thing I can say to do is to bookmark the BB guide page, have them listed from low to high price and keep checking it.

Oh, I thought we still had a source. My bad.

There are some pretty decent guides on the shelf, but I could never get away with hiding them somewhere. It's bad enough they watch me closely when I go and scan an ungodly amount of their guides already.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No, we wouldn't, since our former source(whose name on CAG eludes me right now) has gone MIA for the past X number of drops. I really wish we had some advance notice, so I could've tried to stash 1-2 of each that may drop tomorrow earlier today. But, it would appear that we're blind as far as drops go @ BB anymore.

Best thing I can say to do is to bookmark the BB guide page, have them listed from low to high price and keep checking it.[/QUOTE]

Great idea, IATCG. That's what I do each week.

If people can do that, then that will keep the typical Sunday night/Monday morning posts from the SAME people asking "are there any drops tomorrow/today?"

I wish more people in this thread would take that advice...

I have the page favorite placed on IE already, so that I know I won't miss any possible drops. Hell, I think that's how I found out about the last BB drop before almost everyone else.

I was going to add a link to the page with ALL the guides listed on ONE page, going low to high, to the original post of this thread. But, I figured there may be some who still aren't on high speed and it'd take forever with 50+ guides to load.

Our inside man was Vahn.

I doubt we'll see a drop tomorrow. Middle of January? Nah. I say give it two weeks from tomorrow, first Monday in February.

However, I would love to see it happen tomorrow.

That he was, since right around the time the leaked info stopped, he also disappeared completely from CAG. At least, I haven't seen any recent posts by him, has anyone else?

[quote name='Rocko']did any guides drop?[/quote]

Taking a quick look and based on last night's list, it doesn't look like anything dropped.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yes. They all did. You should rush out right now and buy them all.[/quote]

Every guide in the store? Really? Wow, thanks!

I'll be back with my haul in probably a half hour. Wish me luck!

I was just at GameStop and wanted to buy a Persona 3 guide but I was told that it was pennied out. I have a feeling that the clerk is wrong but wanted to see if any of the GameStop employees here can verify if this is true or not.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I was just at GameStop and wanted to buy a Persona 3 guide but I was told that it was pennied out. I have a feeling that the clerk is wrong but wanted to see if any of the GameStop employees here can verify if this is true or not.[/quote]

Oh I freakin' hope so.
Doubt it though.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I was just at GameStop and wanted to buy a Persona 3 guide but I was told that it was pennied out. I have a feeling that the clerk is wrong but wanted to see if any of the GameStop employees here can verify if this is true or not.[/quote]

What is the code or whatever to look up if any Gamestops in my region has one?

I doubt it was pennied out. I bought two copies yesterday and they were still $9.99.

bread's done
Back