Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

[quote name='farley91']I doubt it was pennied out. I bought two copies yesterday and they were still $9.99.[/quote]
Wish I could find one. With the 10% off coupon, it's a good buy for $9.

[quote name='eau']Wish I could find one. With the 10% off coupon, it's a good buy for $9.[/quote]

The GS I got my two from had another one. I could go there this weekend (or maybe Thursday) and if they still have it I could pick it up for you. It wasn't sealed but in good condition. PM me if you want me to pick it up for you if they still have it.

Good job with this topic discussion as it was long overdue to eliminate the clutter from other Guide topic. Maybe a mod can finally clean up the other topic to elimanate a lot of the fluff that was posted there since it is basically about 1 page worth of useful info and 7 pages of other stuff.

That's why I created this one, since I figured that that was why the other guide threads had become so large so quickly. I mean, hell, even with 50 posts per page, the current thread is up to four pages and I don't even think it's 2 weeks old yet.

I'll ask Gwen to go in and do a little cleanup and put her own post on the guide thread, directing people to this thread.

Has anyone else not been able to use their Edge card for 10% off guides in combination with the Gamestop 10% off coupon? I got the Blue Dragon guide for 8.99 several days ago with using just the Edge card, but when I bought Disgaea: AoD guide yesterday, I was only able to get 10% off with the Gamestop email coupon. I didn't use the 10% coupon with Blue Dragon at that time because I was already using the 25% off used PS2 games coupon with Edge.

It just seems weird that you can use the 10% coupon in addition to Edge for used games, but that it won't work with guides.

Is the Edge 10% discount supposed to work with guides? I thought it was just for used items and GS doesn't sell used guides now. When I presented my Edge + 10% off email coupon, only the coupon discount applied to the Persona 3 guide a few weeks back.

[quote name='Caliburn']Is the Edge 10% discount supposed to work with guides? I thought it was just for used items and GS doesn't sell used guides now. When I presented my Edge + 10% off email coupon, only the coupon discount applied to the Persona 3 guide a few weeks back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was surprised by it. I grabbed a pamphlet over the holidays at GS, hoping it'd have coupons or something. Turns out it was just basic stuff, like explaining trading in games and the Edge card. The thing that caught my eye was that it stated that using Edge card, you could get 10% off guides. I tried it a few days later on a Persona 3 guide, and sure enough it gave me 10% off.

Maybe it was just a test thing they were running, but Edge card worked for me just several days ago, so I'm wondering if they stopped 10% off guides with Edge, or if it can't be combined with a coupon.

Awesome idea Iam! I'm going to go through the main thread and see if I can transfer the talkie talkie posts into here.

So we're all clear on things new finds and discoveries aka NEWS should go in the main Reduced price thread. This should be all other stuff. And the nice news is that I don't see any reason why fishing posts can't be placed in here.

The Main Clearing House will remain what it is: "I have X for Trade, I want to Trade X." This discussion thread should not replace that. But occasional posts of, "oh, I'm totally looking for that guide, hint hint hint" won't be a problem.

Fair?

[quote name='Pookymeister']word.

Picked up Persona 3 guide at GS today - yay[/quote]
I failed at getting one today. Said there was 1-3 with the search, but none when I got there.

I couldn't even get No More Heroes today either. The two Best Buys around me never got there shipment today (even though they advertised it as being ready for 2 PM) >_

[quote name='Pookymeister']Picked up Persona 3 guide at GS today - yay[/QUOTE]

How much? I'm guessing it wasen't pennied out and was still 9.99 as I still see it in stock around me at a few store.

[quote name='Antic']I failed at getting one today. Said there was 1-3 with the search, but none when I got there.

I couldn't even get No More Heroes today either. The two Best Buys around me never got there shipment today (even though they advertised it as being ready for 2 PM) >_

[quote name='FOnewearl']How much? I'm guessing it wasen't pennied out and was still 9.99 as I still see it in stock around me at a few store.

Did you ask about the the guide? It could be in the back if your store doesn't have room for most of the guides.[/quote]

I was there again today because I had to pick up No More Heroes and Advance Wars at Best Buy with some coupons and stuff. I went to GS and asked again, and yeah they had a copy like it said they did online. It was out back (upstairs really) like you said. I don't know how they expect to sell them though unless someone seeks it out like I did. The lady in yesterday laughed at me when I asked, and said no. Makes me wonder if she was just waiting for it to get pennied and keep it herself or something.

Btw, the guide is wicked small. It's like the Phantom Brave guide (size-wise).

[quote name='Antic']I was there again today because I had to pick up No More Heroes and Advance Wars at Best Buy with some coupons and stuff. I went to GS and asked again, and yeah they had a copy like it said they did online. It was out back (upstairs really) like you said. I don't know how they expect to sell them though unless someone seeks it out like I did. The lady in yesterday laughed at me when I asked, and said no. Makes me wonder if she was just waiting for it to get pennied and keep it herself or something.

Btw, the guide is wicked small. It's like the Phantom Brave guide (size-wise).[/quote]

Yea the guy had a little trouble finding my copy. It wound up being in a drawer with used games or something

I live in Western Mass, in Greenfield. I had to get the guide at the Holyoke Mall (no luck at the Hadley).

How about you?

[quote name='Antic']I was there again today because I had to pick up No More Heroes and Advance Wars at Best Buy with some coupons and stuff. I went to GS and asked again, and yeah they had a copy like it said they did online. It was out back (upstairs really) like you said. I don't know how they expect to sell them though unless someone seeks it out like I did. The lady in yesterday laughed at me when I asked, and said no. Makes me wonder if she was just waiting for it to get pennied and keep it herself or something.

Btw, the guide is wicked small. It's like the Phantom Brave guide (size-wise).[/QUOTE]

That's how it is at a fair number of GameStops now adays, all the guides sit in the back waiting to be thrown out except for a few really popular games. I'd guess that some workers will try and sell you a guide if your buying a game but that's probaby not very many. At least they went back and got you the guide as they should it was fucked up at my store as the kid looked it up went in the back came right back then told me that it was pennied out and sent back to the company, it's as if a little guide fairy in the back room told him "don't sell him any guides he's the penny guide guy just tell him some BS" I didn't get why he would go into the back as it should have said it was a penny when he looked it up.

1st employee - about a month ago I was told that they don't carry guides anymore and the guy had no clue what happened to them, I guess he's never been in the back room lol

2nd employee - about 2 weeks ago I was told that all of the guides where in a few piles about 3 feet high in the back and that it would be too much touble to find anything in them, I was thinking I'm sure I could find something in about 5 minutes tops if I could look since I magical and could look at the spines of the guides and read.

3rd employee - A few days ago tells me a guide that isn't pennied out is? Only thing I could think of is maybe I've been labeled penny guide guy so he just told me it's gone since he's afraid it'll ring up a penny like magic if I want to buy it even if it didn't say it was a penny on the computer when he looked it up.

[quote name='FOnewearl']That's how it is at a fair number of GameStops now adays, all the guides sit in the back waiting to be thrown out except for a few really popular games. I'd guess that some workers will try and sell you a guide if your buying a game but that's probaby not very many. At least they went back and got you the guide as they should it was fucked up at my store as the kid looked it up went in the back came right back then told me that it was pennied out and sent back to the company, it's as if a little guide fairy in the back room told him "don't sell him any guides he's the penny guide guy just tell him some BS" I didn't get why he would go into the back as it should have said it was a penny when he looked it up.

1st employee - about a month ago I was told that they don't carry guides anymore and the guy had no clue what happened to them, I guess he's never been in the back room lol

2nd employee - about 2 weeks ago I was told that all of the guides where in a few piles about 3 feet high in the back and that it would be too much touble to find anything in them, I was thinking I'm sure I could find something in about 5 minutes tops if I could look since I magical and could look at the spines of the guides and read.

3rd employee - A few days ago tells me a guide that isn't pennied out is? Only thing I could think of is maybe I've been labeled penny guide guy so he just told me it's gone since he's afraid it'll ring up a penny like magic if I want to buy it even if it didn't say it was a penny on the computer when he looked it up.[/quote]

If you want to complain to the DM for Gamestop in our general area, let me know, since I still have his email address saved from when I complained about one guide I wanted back about a year or more ago that came up as pennied.

I wrote this big, long shpeel about how I should've been sold the item for the price it came up in the system and so on. Well, I would've just seemed like a normal customer, who ran into an anomalous guide that wasn't pulled, if it weren't for me perusing the guide rack at the Steamtown store when their DM was IN the store to check it out.

Unfortunately, I had already brought up several guides which had pennied but not been removed from their shelves while he was there. So, he comes up to me and says my name and I spin around and get him face to face.

He's like 'I've had reports from other stores in my district of you coming in and grabbing 30-40 guides at a shot that pennied.' Then, he mentioned my 'woe is me poor customer' email and I'm thinking to myself 'oh damn, I'm busted'.

He starts asking me where I get my info from, this and that, then threatens to bar me from his stores, etc, etc. I tell him 'the internet of course, it's a wealth of useful info if you know what to look for'. I proceed to tell him that I ALSO hit Best Buy in the area and he's not alone, then proceed to start pointing out guides I knew were pennied which were on shelf still, while saying 'I wouldn't even try for them if they weren't still on the shelf'.

He was hilarious, flipping the guides I'm pointing out to him off the shelf like a madman, practically wanting to ban me AND scream at his employees for being so lax, since I informed him that 'those guides dropped 4-6 months ago already', while pointing at some older guides.

Soon after that though, the people at the ONLY Gamestop I was still able to get guides from after that little fiasco got fired, quit and just generally abandoned their jobs. What I laugh at is the fact that many of the employees dislike him with a vengeance, so I still got guides from some of them and told to complain about him on the Gamestopfeedback website. He suspected every one of his employees as 'giving me the info on the dropped guides'. I'm all but blackballed from getting the guides around here anymore and possibly the reason why so many GS stores in our area and locally in general lie about stuff that comes up pennied.

If you want the DM's email address for shits and giggles, PM me though, I'll be happy to let you email him to see what a total dick he is. For my 'woe is me' email, he offered me 50% off ONE guide if I took in the email.

That was about a year or more ago. I haven't used it YET, but I've been tempted when I saw a couple pennied guides on the shelf down in Stroudsburg recently(Warhawk and some other one, they lied and said they were full price).

That is quite the story there, Cheapest. I got chills all through my body when you said he called you and you spun around and was face to face with him. ...Ok, maybe not chills, but an interesting story nonetheless.

Anyway, I finally understand what everyone means when they say their Best Buy's guide section is overflowing. The BB I normally go to is very boring. They don't even clearance many games out as I hear other BBs do. But I went to another one the other day and there were guides everywhere. Well, now I know which BB around here has the goods.

[quote name='Chronis']That is quite the story there, Cheapest. I got chills all through my body when you said he called you and you spun around and was face to face with him. ...Ok, maybe not chills, but an interesting story nonetheless.

Anyway, I finally understand what everyone means when they say their Best Buy's guide section is overflowing. The BB I normally go to is very boring. They don't even clearance many games out as I hear other BBs do. But I went to another one the other day and there were guides everywhere. Well, now I know which BB around here has the goods.[/quote]
Are you talking about the one that is located between the huge Target and Home Depot? (I forget exactly what part of LI that really is).

I dunno if this has been touched on yet, but if the other thread isn't going to be used for anything but drop reporting, it really should be stickied, lest it drop into nowhere. If that can happen, then this is a very good idea.

Gwen is in the process of seeking to get the main guide thread stickied again as we speak. She just has to get it approved.

Just figured I'd let you guys know about that.

Oh and ZForce reported the following guides dropped to .01 @ GS today. I updated the second post in the main thread. If anyone knows of any others which dropped, let me know. Thanks.

Guides that dropped so far @ GS today:

Spiderman: Friend Or Foe
Tabula Rasa
Virtua Fighter 5(360 version)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you want to complain to the DM for Gamestop in our general area, let me know, since I still have his email address saved from when I complained about one guide I wanted back about a year or more ago that came up as pennied.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer but are we even in the same district? I can't help but think that we ain't as I was able to scrore on every drop last year except for what dropped in December since the guides were moved to the back around that time. Besides the stuff from December I only missed out on guides I wanted at penny time because they were OOS before they got pennied out. I can't help but think that my store wouldn't have been so lax with pulling them if they were under this DM you mention.

I though about complaining but I would rather avoid it. I really think as with my other post with the 1st and 3rd guy it was just a typical case of workers just saying anything to have an answer. I also was thinking I don't want to e-mail the local DM telling them that the worker said it was pennied out and sent back to the company as that will bring up the penny guide issue and then I'll have to probably convince this guy that I'm not trying to get a penny guide but just trying to get a guide that I was wrongfully told was pennied out.

That story about the angry DM is classic it's too bad you didn't tape it but I can picture this guy all red in the face just flailing away at the shelf knocking guides off of it as they are pointed out :) Was the store empty when he was doing this?

I might PM you if this store troubles me again incase this crazy guy is the same DM for my store.

You should ask them what their DM's name is, if they say the name Steve Bennett, then yep, it's the SAME DM. They may just be more lax in your area, I guess, though it's not so much that they're lax here as just have too many things in the store to worry about as it is without worrying bout the guides.

Thing is, I think he told me while we were talking(and in between flails lol) that his district goes down to the south and ends just before Allentown/Whitehall. I think he did say his district goes out to the west a bunch too, so he could be their DM too. I know since the day before I hit the Steamtown store, he said he got a call from a store employee at a store near Wind Gap(down Route 209 heading towards Easton) about me coming in and picking guides up from that store.

I walked out of that store of his with a stack of guides that had to be somewhere around 3 feet high. LMAO So yeah, he was NOT happy to see me at Steamtown that day.

The store in the Wyoming Valley Mall had N64 and SNES games I was told at one point, but rather than ship their games all over creation(before the store by Target in Wilkes Barre became the local dump store for all older gen stuff) the one employee told me their DM came in and took a pair of needlenose pliers to the carts for them and broke the board that goes into the N64/SNES.

So yeah, apparently, this guy doesn't give a crap about any of the inventory the stores under his control sell since he'd rather destroy stuff and claim it was broken and junk it out than ship it out or penny it and risk someone like me coming in and grabbing it.

What I laugh at is the fact that when I get a guide, I'm damn tempted to snap a digital pic of me standing there with it and the caption 'your employees missed one' and email the sob to Steve, just to be a real prick.

But, I know if I did that, he would order every store in his district to remove ALL guides and stuff them in their backrooms. Then again, he must've done that at the Steamtown store soon after my little incident with him, since the whole guide shelf disappeared. Bad part is, that store is SO tiny as it is, there's barely enough room to walk now. They have Rock Band bundles stacked about 6 feet high towards the back of the store and shelving every which way in the store.

I can only imagine how cluttered that back room is where they have the REST of their inventory, since it's super tiny too.

As for if the store was empty or not when he was having his Tourette's act up, there were at least 4-6 customers and 2-3 clerks in there. Meanwhile, I'm chuckling under my breath while I'm watching the steam come out of his ears, that's how pissed he was. LMAO

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You should ask them what their DM's name is, if they say the name Steve Bennett, then yep, it's the SAME DM.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually hoping this guy ain't the DM ;)

I used to see the same people working at this store but over the last few months they have gotten all new employees kind of like when you mention everyone in a certain store getting replaced. Since this store has been around (since around 1990) it's had two managers I've known of the first guy for the first few years then the second manager Dave who has been around for over ten years although I think he's gone now has I haven't seen him in the store for about a year now so I'm pretty sure he's gone and I'm not really sure who the new manager is now.

I wish the old workers were still around the one guy used to always be working and while it wasen't like he was doing anything like holding penny guides for me or letting me have anything in the back room that was heading to the garbage at least he knew how to do his job & also if I did bring up a penny guide that wasen't pulled he knew well enough to take it out of the system and let me have it while all of the newer workers would just ring them up.

See, that's the thing, I know that some of the newer workers simply ring me up for the pennied guides and whoever was signed onto that register when the sale is made may get in a whole mess of trouble over it.

I definitely don't wanna get people fired for not following their DM's(and the companies) rules, but they must figure that a sale is a sale whether it's for .01 or full price.

I definitely don't like that they seem to have shut off the credit card screens by the registers in most of the GS stores I go to, since at least when the price came up .01 on there, you had a better chance of arguing that they should honor it as a price error.

It might well be the same DM, since I know the stores in the Bloomsburg area were said to be under his domain too and I think the new one by the one Kmart they closed heading towards the Susquehanna Valley Mall is another of his. He has a fairly large district, from what I remember the clerks at the one GS telling me, so it may be that the employees you remember from the Lycoming Mall or whichever GS store you had alot of luck at were canned for the guide thing.

I just hope that's not true, since if it is, I'm sure I've cost more than a few people their jobs at this point then because I've had people ring me up for the guides without knowing that they're not supposed to sell them.

[quote name='Antic']I live in Western Mass, in Greenfield. I had to get the guide at the Holyoke Mall (no luck at the Hadley).

How about you?[/quote]

Lost track of this thread.
I'm near the Cape. (currently getting nailed by a blizzard)

Random question: Does the Tomb Raider Anniversary guide cover the 360?
The one that was recently pennied.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Lost track of this thread.
I'm near the Cape. (currently getting nailed by a blizzard)

Random question: Does the Tomb Raider Anniversary guide cover the 360?
The one that was recently pennied.[/quote]

Oh, that sucks. We didn't even get more than an inch or two today here.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, that's the thing, I know that some of the newer workers simply ring me up for the pennied guides and whoever was signed onto that register when the sale is made may get in a whole mess of trouble over it.

I definitely don't wanna get people fired for not following their DM's(and the companies) rules, but they must figure that a sale is a sale whether it's for .01 or full price.

I definitely don't like that they seem to have shut off the credit card screens by the registers in most of the GS stores I go to, since at least when the price came up .01 on there, you had a better chance of arguing that they should honor it as a price error.

It might well be the same DM, since I know the stores in the Bloomsburg area were said to be under his domain too and I think the new one by the one Kmart they closed heading towards the Susquehanna Valley Mall is another of his. He has a fairly large district, from what I remember the clerks at the one GS telling me, so it may be that the employees you remember from the Lycoming Mall or whichever GS store you had alot of luck at were canned for the guide thing.

I just hope that's not true, since if it is, I'm sure I've cost more than a few people their jobs at this point then because I've had people ring me up for the guides without knowing that they're not supposed to sell them.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of the workers that worked at the Lycoming Mall got fired for selling penny guides I would think even a company like GameStop isn't very likely to fire someone for the first offense on selling penny guides. The one guy that I used to always see working never rang up the penny guides he just let me have them when I found them left on the shelf so I'm sure he never got any heat for it. I think these people probably just moved on eventually or at least didn't get canned for penny guides. I see the same faces at a lot of retail stores around here. I think it's just a sign of how bad the area is job wise that I see people at a store like Circuit City that stick around for years with such a job as running the register at a retail store.

If Steve is the DM for the stores in Bloomsburg and at the Susquehanna mall then he probably is for the Lycoming mall also since it's pretty much in the middle of those two and Wilkes-Barre.

What closed Kmart are you talking about? The only one I can think of that you might be refering to is the Shamokin Dam one and the new GameStop your mentioning I'm thinking is #3343 (Coal Township PA). Have you been to this store before? I haven't but IIRC it's a strip mall store.

OT but I noticed recently that the store at the Lycoming mall recently got a GameStop sign put up.

You know where the Goodwill and new Gamestop are, right? Well, on that same route, down a big hill is the closed Kmart. I think the Shamokin Dam one was the one by the big rock wall with the Bar-b-Q place right across from there(its up on a hill across from there). The Shamokin Dam one was the one that I remember telling you had a game section that was SO messed up I didn't want to dig through it. There's also a closed Ames store on that same road someplace, since I remember seeing it on one of my trips down that way.

I can't think of the name of the town with the other one, but I believe it's on the way to the Susquehanna Valley Mall.

Either way, the Buckhorn GS stores were my best source for guides for a long while, but the last time I was in there, they had removed the guide racks except for the one by the registers. I guess their DM had given them orders after they actually rang up the guides I got the prior time to not sell the guides, though they still did give me 5-10 including Disgaea 2.

EDIT: WOW!! I just pulled up a list of closed stores(from Kmart) and it brought up one for Bloomsburg? Where the hell was that at?

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I had to call in to work because our little dead end dirt road isn't cool enough to get plowed.

I do have to brave it to ship out a few packages today though. :cold:[/quote]

I live on a dirt road on the border of the town, and we're the last to get plowed as well when it storms. It sucks too because I don't have 4wd or snow tires >_< I've run into the same issue this season for a couple amazon orders.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know where the Goodwill and new Gamestop are, right? Well, on that same route, down a big hill is the closed Kmart. I think the Shamokin Dam one was the one by the big rock wall with the Bar-b-Q place right across from there(its up on a hill across from there).[/QUOTE]

I don't know where the new GameStop is I just know that a new store opened up fairly close within the last year or so. Your right about the Shamokin Dam one if your heading down route 15 it kind of curves around that Kmart and I know your talking about the right one since you say it's on a hill. I'm glad it's not the Shamokin Dam one that's closed although they might as well close it since it's always dead whenever I'm at it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Either way, the Buckhorn GS stores were my best source for guides for a long while, but the last time I was in there, they had removed the guide racks except for the one by the registers. I guess their DM had given them orders after they actually rang up the guides I got the prior time to not sell the guides, though they still did give me 5-10 including Disgaea 2.[/QUOTE]

I never realized (or forgot) that you did well at the Buckhorn store. I did get two Nintendo Power guides they had in front of the counter probably a little over a year ago but they haven't had all of the guides out in that store for ages, since before I've ever been there, I also asked them if they had a guide that just pennied out recently when I got the 2 NP guides and the guy went in the back and came back and said they didn't have it so I ws thinking maybe he just didn't get it because it was pennied out or he couldn't find it in the back room if it was a wreck.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']EDIT: WOW!! I just pulled up a list of closed stores(from Kmart) and it brought up one for Bloomsburg? Where the hell was that at?[/QUOTE]

At first I was thinking WTF where was that store also then I remembered they used to have a Kmart that was actually attached to the Columbia mall, no wonder that mall is doing so bad :) That Kmart probably went under ages ago probably about the time the wheel was invented.

I actually finnally got that Persona 3 guide tonight, I went in Wednesday guy looked it up went to the back and couldn't find it so I gave him my number and asked if he could get one transfered if possible or if it shows up in the backroom. An hour later I got a call he found it in a different cabinet away from the bulk of the guides in the back. Even when I picked it up tonight the same guy wasen't working so they had a hell of a time finding it again lol guy didn't see it in the case behind him went to the back no luck then when he came back the other worker found my held copy near the register.

I also confirmed overhearing a call Wednesday night that your buddy Steve is the DM of this store ;)

They were busy when I stopped in tonight, lines blocking the middle of the store like it's the Xmas shopping season. I think beside all of the crap the workers have to do the customers are part of the problem (at least at this store) a lady was trading in a GameCube for her son and she didn't have a controller so next thing you know she's on the cell phone trying to figure out about the controller all the mean while not giving a flying fuck that in doing so that she's hold up a busy store. It seems like every other time I go in some soccer mom is hold up the line because they are on the phone trying to figure out what to do for someone else that isn't with them that they are shopping for or doing the bidding for.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I don't know where the new GameStop is I just know that a new store opened up fairly close within the last year or so. Your right about the Shamokin Dam one if your heading down route 15 it kind of curves around that Kmart and I know your talking about the right one since you say it's on a hill. I'm glad it's not the Shamokin Dam one that's closed although they might as well close it since it's always dead whenever I'm at it.[/quote]

Actually, I liked the Shamokin Dam one a bit, but I just didn't care to rifle through all those stacks of messed up games they had on those shelves. I'm sure there's more than a few better games there just waiting to be grabbed.

[quote name='FOnewearl']
I never realized (or forgot) that you did well at the Buckhorn store. I did get two Nintendo Power guides they had in front of the counter probably a little over a year ago but they haven't had all of the guides out in that store for ages, since before I've ever been there, I also asked them if they had a guide that just pennied out recently when I got the 2 NP guides and the guy went in the back and came back and said they didn't have it so I ws thinking maybe he just didn't get it because it was pennied out or he couldn't find it in the back room if it was a wreck.[/quote]

I pulled a copy of the Disgaea 2 guide from there, as well as a good sized handful of other titles from there(including the long since pennied guide for The Warriors). I noticed that they moved a majority of their guides in the back soon after my semi decent haul and only left the small shelf by the registers(like most GS stores I've gone to lately). The Columbia Mall store was one of my first major 'score stores' in this area, I walked out with about 14 copies of the MGS 3 guide in one shot.

Looking back on it now, I really shouldn't have taken that many, much like I took EVERY copy of the Halo 2 guide once it dropped and I found buttloads of it at some store.

[quote name='FOnewearl']
At first I was thinking WTF where was that store also then I remembered they used to have a Kmart that was actually attached to the Columbia mall, no wonder that mall is doing so bad :) That Kmart probably went under ages ago probably about the time the wheel was invented.[/quote]

So, how long ago would you say that Kmart went under, since I've never seen anything that would've indicated there EVER having been a Kmart out that way?
[quote name='FOnewearl']

I also confirmed overhearing a call Wednesday night that your buddy Steve is the DM of this store ;)

They were busy when I stopped in tonight, lines blocking the middle of the store like it's the Xmas shopping season. I think beside all of the crap the workers have to do the customers are part of the problem (at least at this store) a lady was trading in a GameCube for her son and she didn't have a controller so next thing you know she's on the cell phone trying to figure out about the controller all the mean while not giving a flying fuck that in doing so that she's hold up a busy store. It seems like every other time I go in some soccer mom is hold up the line because they are on the phone trying to figure out what to do for someone else that isn't with them that they are shopping for or doing the bidding for.[/quote]

Gotta love the oblivious people who hold up the entire line while they talk to whoever they're at that store to 'help out' wtf they did with or wanted that item for. Oh and definitely, I don't think Steve is my buddy, that's for sure. I kind of figured he was the DM out your way though, since I think he has a decent sized district to take care of.

I think I almost gave him a coronary with that Steamtown escapade.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So, how long ago would you say that Kmart went under, since I've never seen anything that would've indicated there EVER having been a Kmart out that way?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that I might have been wrong and that it might have actually been a Hills that was a part of the Columbia Mall but either way (Kmart/Hills) it went under I'd say in the late 90s roughly probably no later then 2000. If it was a Hills then I have no clue where the Kmart was.

I hear you on the MGS 3 guide I remember when it got pennied out at TRU they a dozen of them if not more which was more then they carried for just about any other guide. I ended up grabbing 3 copies just because they had so many while I normally at most would grab 2 copy of every guide back then if stores I could get them at had 3-4 or more.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I'm thinking that I might have been wrong and that it might have actually been a Hills that was a part of the Columbia Mall but either way (Kmart/Hills) it went under I'd say in the late 90s roughly probably no later then 2000. If it was a Hills then I have no clue where the Kmart was.

I hear you on the MGS 3 guide I remember when it got pennied out at TRU they a dozen of them if not more which was more then they carried for just about any other guide. I ended up grabbing 3 copies just because they had so many while I normally at most would grab 2 copy of every guide back then if stores I could get them at had 3-4 or more.[/quote]

Every place I check says the Kmart was on New Berwick Highway in Bloomsburg. And unfortunately, the EB in the Columbia Mall stopped being a good source for guides a while back, soon after my 14 copy haul of the MGS 3 guide.

Got some questions for everybody since I'm kinda new to guide collecting.

1)Barring Special guides (Hardcovers , RPG guides) at what price do most of you consider the sweet spot to pick up a game guide besides being penny'd out of course? I assume it probably varies from game to game but overall what price is the magic price?

2)For the other "Special" guides , would you recommend getting most rpg and hardcover guides as soon as they come out , or wait a bit to see if they come down in price any then pick them up?

I ask since I've never been too interested in buying game guides before since I always saw them as kinda unnecesary but now I've recently kinda got into hunting them down and adding them to my collection , but just like anyone else , I don't wanna pay more for them than I have to.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Got some questions for everybody since I'm kinda new to guide collecting.

1)Barring Special guides (Hardcovers , RPG guides) at what price do most of you consider the sweet spot to pick up a game guide besides being penny'd out of course? I assume it probably varies from game to game but overall what price is the magic price?

2)For the other "Special" guides , would you recommend getting most rpg and hardcover guides as soon as they come out , or wait a bit to see if they come down in price any then pick them up?

I ask since I've never been too interested in buying game guides before since I always saw them as kinda unnecesary but now I've recently kinda got into hunting them down and adding them to my collection , but just like anyone else , I don't wanna pay more for them than I have to.[/QUOTE]
My thoughts
Most people consider $5 to pick up the guide you want. But if it is a guide i need I would pay $10
Most guide rarely get a price drop. Something like FF or Zelda retains their value pretty well.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Got some questions for everybody since I'm kinda new to guide collecting.

I ask since I've never been too interested in buying game guides before since I always saw them as kinda unnecesary but now I've recently kinda got into hunting them down and adding them to my collection , but just like anyone else , I don't wanna pay more for them than I have to.[/quote]

I rarely buy guides anymore unless they're of the pennied variety or something I've been looking for but couldn't find otherwise. If they're about $5, I consider buying a guide, but anything over $7 and I don't care what it looks like, how many additional things it has in it, I won't buy it.

I STILL miss the days of Electronics Boutique having used guides for anywhere from $2-5 in stock, they used to have alot of better guides for cheaper than they sold for new.

That's how it always seems to go. It's very much like a big clearance thread and the morals of shopping, hoarding, returning to other stores coming up and bulking up the thread but when it had a thread made in the Deal/Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights section to keep the issue out of the clearance thread it dies down faster as it's own thread.

It's just how it is you got about a good a chance of stopping littering as keeping the main guide thread from filling up with discussion, stories & trades during a big guide drop.

[quote name='Caliburn']It didn't last long for everyone to post their hauls in the other thread...heh.[/quote]

LOL I noticed. I think I'm gonna ask IO or Gwen if they could please go in after the fervor around this recent drop dies down and clean up the main thread and toss any haul or trade posts(including my own whoring out of my TL in the main thread) into this thread.

Even the thread IO runs(Kmart one) gets clogged with trade posts, even though there's a 'Kmart game trade thread' running.

It was a nice idea in theory anyway.

I went in to my Gamestop to finish my Crisis Core preorder andmy inside man gave me a GTAVI license plate and the Assassins Creed guide. I was all, "what the hell, did the AC guide drop?"
He said that some dude tried to trade it in with the game and just left it since they don't take guides.
It doesn't have the map so I may trade it.
Going to be adding the ugly ass plate to my trade list sometime tonight, I'll have to think about the guide.

Cheapest way to send out guides is Media Mail, but it could take up to two weeks(or more depending on mail volume) for packages to arrive at their destination.

Don't forget to tack on Delivery Confirmation though(.75 I think it is now).

That's about the cheapest way you're going to find to send them.

True cheapasses will pay for postage via Paypal and print out their own postage inclusive of $.18 for delivery confirmation. I haven't paid .70/.60 in a long time for paper DC#. It's saved me DOLLARS in the long run!

Well, I refuse to get Paypal due to the potential for having to add 'add xyz amount for fees' or have any of my $$$ taken due to said fees.

Otherwise, I probably would do that too, except I'm also too much of a cheapass and don't yet even have a printer, even though I've seen cheap stand alone ones for UNDER $30 recently ALL OVER THE PLACE.

bread's done
Back