iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Best Buy had an big ad for the new touch when I went to their site last night. I then checked and found a local BB that had them in stock. I went to the BB to buy one and the guy said they aren't selling them until Monday. So, their webiste is advertising them, their website says this store has them in stock and in fact they do, but they wouldn't sell me one.

:whistle2:k
I checked the checking account and seen that my BF bought me an iPod Touch for my birthday (:cool:), maybe I should look into some of these games..What's Cro Mag Rally?

In fact, besides the Apple site, are there any websites with good information/reviews on these iPod Touch games?

Darn it! I have $22 in credit at the iTunes store however I was earmarking that for the 4th season of Battlestar Galactica (I just saw the first three seasons and holy crap is that a good show). I really want to pick up Enigmo as that has loooked good to me since it came out.

Thanks for the heads up though OP I'll have some thinking to do.

[quote name='lilboo']:whistle2:k
I checked the checking account and seen that my BF bought me an iPod Touch for my birthday (:cool:), maybe I should look into some of these games..What's Cro Mag Rally?

In fact, besides the Apple site, are there any websites with good information/reviews on these iPod Touch games?[/quote]

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/accessories/

Go to games - ipod/iphone

IMHO, Cro-Mag Rally is a nice tech demo, but a lousy game. It's not worth $1.99. Well, maybe it is, but there's much better stuff available, even 99 cent games that are more fun. Hell, there's plenty of FREE games that are more fun then Cro-Mag Rally. One of your first purchases should be Dizzy Bee. Great, unique game, and cheap. 2nd purchase should be Mote-M. No sound yet, but for 99 cents it's a great "tower defense" game and absolutely worth it, and the developer is improving it with each update. You also have to download all the Papi games (Papi Jump, Papi River, Papi Pole). They're all free, all super-simple and all fun and addictive.

Other worthy purchases/downloads: Space Invasion, Space Out!, MotionX Poker, Black Jack Run Lite, Toy Bot Diaries (and Toy Bot Diaries Free, which has different levels), Air Hockey (Acceleratto's version), Fire Drop, Word Whirl, Blue Skies, Frotz, Wordabble, Chimps Ahoy, Tap Tap Revenge, Word Mix, Brain Tuner, Vay.

Remember, iTunes stuff (except for their limited DRM free music) is encrusted with Activation DRM. Apple's system is the best Activation system anyone's ever done, and by comparison to the console's systems is awesome, but still, you don't own what you're "buying".

[quote name='CHARYODA']Darn it! I have $22 in credit at the iTunes store however I was earmarking that for the 4th season of Battlestar Galactica (I just saw the first three seasons and holy crap is that a good show). I really want to pick up Enigmo as that has loooked good to me since it came out. [/QUOTE]

Why not get Galactica on DVD? Then you actually own it, and have better picture quality too, and still have all the other advantages.

And yes, it is amazing! I'm part way into season 2 so far (Netflixing it), and it's just so hard core and so well written.

[quote name='Togepy']It saddens me that not even one of the click wheel games are on sale, damnit.[/QUOTE]

Prices on the AppStore are entirely controlled by the developers/publishers, so that there wouldn't be a connection between "sales" on one store versus the other isn't surprising - it's a free-for-all. One of the bad things about the store is that, as far as I can tell, there is no way to tell that anything is on sale, other then from outside sources. There is no "On Sale" section, nor a list of price drops. Or is there and I'm missing it? It seems to me that it limits the effect of sale prices. On the other hand, that means that developers need to think more about how they price their software right off the bat. If they overcharge they may be screwed for good, whether they lower the price later or not. So perhaps that's a good thing.

I don't like any of the driving games on the iphone/touch. Controlling the game using the accelerometer just doesn't work very well, imo.

I might have to check out Tetris, though.

[quote name='crunchewy']IMHO, Cro-Mag Rally is a nice tech demo, but a lousy game. It's not worth $1.99. Well, maybe it is, but there's much better stuff available, even 99 cent games that are more fun. Hell, there's plenty of FREE games that are more fun then Cro-Mag Rally. One of your first purchases should be Dizzy Bee. Great, unique game, and cheap. 2nd purchase should be Mote-M. No sound yet, but for 99 cents it's a great "tower defense" game and absolutely worth it, and the developer is improving it with each update. You also have to download all the Papi games (Papi Jump, Papi River, Papi Pole). They're all free, all super-simple and all fun and addictive.

Other worthy purchases/downloads: Space Invasion, Space Out!, MotionX Poker, Black Jack Run Lite, Toy Bot Diaries (and Toy Bot Diaries Free, which has different levels), Air Hockey (Acceleratto's version), Fire Drop, Word Whirl, Blue Skies, Frotz, Wordabble, Chimps Ahoy, Tap Tap Revenge, Word Mix, Brain Tuner, Vay.[/QUOTE]

Such a great list of games and no mention of Galcon? For shame.

[quote name='Togepy']It saddens me that not even one of the click wheel games are on sale, damnit.[/quote]

Do you mean the 3rd/4th gen nano/classic games that go for $5 each? They never go on sale, but I've heard an Apple Store employee rumor that they might drop those in price across the board to like $2.99/$3.99 permanently around the end of the year.

I just sold my iPod touch last week, and I bought one of the new nanos this week.

I can recommend both Enigmo and Cro-mag Rally though. Both were priced at $10 when I bought them, and I believe they were both worth it.

[quote name='crunchewy']IMHO, Cro-Mag Rally is a nice tech demo, but a lousy game. It's not worth $1.99. Well, maybe it is, but there's much better stuff available, even 99 cent games that are more fun. Hell, there's plenty of FREE games that are more fun then Cro-Mag Rally. One of your first purchases should be Dizzy Bee. Great, unique game, and cheap. 2nd purchase should be Mote-M. No sound yet, but for 99 cents it's a great "tower defense" game and absolutely worth it, and the developer is improving it with each update. You also have to download all the Papi games (Papi Jump, Papi River, Papi Pole). They're all free, all super-simple and all fun and addictive.

Other worthy purchases/downloads: Space Invasion, Space Out!, MotionX Poker, Black Jack Run Lite, Toy Bot Diaries (and Toy Bot Diaries Free, which has different levels), Air Hockey (Acceleratto's version), Fire Drop, Word Whirl, Blue Skies, Frotz, Wordabble, Chimps Ahoy, Tap Tap Revenge, Word Mix, Brain Tuner, Vay.[/quote]

That's a great list of recommendable games. I'm definitely going to try Mote-M; I've never even heard of it before.

Thanks cruchewy.

Galcon is now $4.99. It was previously $9.99. It gets rave reviews and I really wanted to pick it up, but at $9.99 I was hesitant. At $4.99 I pulled the trigger this morning. So far I like it. Note that this game includes internet play, though I haven't tried it yet, only have played single-player so far. I don't know if it's price drop or a sale - the listing for the game doesn't say anything about the price drop. It's just there.

"Fuzzle" is free for a limited time, so that is a "sale". Fuzzle is a "Lines" variant with some nice enhancements and seems really well done. Definitely worth free!

[quote name='DeathPrawn']Such a great list of games and no mention of Galcon? For shame.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention it because I didn't have it, but...

Galcon is now $4.99. It was previously $9.99. It gets rave reviews and I really wanted to pick it up, but at $9.99 I was hesitant. At $4.99 I pulled the trigger this morning. So far I like it. Note that this game includes internet play, though I haven't tried it yet, only have played single-player so far. I don't know if it's price drop or a sale - the listing for the game doesn't say anything about the price drop. It's just there.

"Fuzzle" is free for a limited time, so that is a "sale". Fuzzle is a "Lines" variant with some nice enhancements and seems really well done. Definitely worth free!

The Texas Hold'em craze drives me batty. It's as if there is now only one version of poker. I'm waiting for a game that has many, many variants of poker, not just one. Ideally it would also let you create your own variants.

The prices on the AppStore are entirely controlled by the developers/publishers - the maker/publisher of the game decides the price. In the case of the Pangea software titles, they are actually calling it a sale. Also the Fuzzle for free is for a limited time according to the listing for the app. In other cases it's price drops or they haven't said anything, the price just dropped.

More drops/sales:

- Motion X Poker is now 99 cents (down from $4.99). Definitely worth 99 cents.
- Hiqup is 99 cents through the end of September (normaly $1.99). I haven't played this one. It's a peg jump puzzle game variant with different boards, bombs, black holes, etc.

Another shout out for Galcon http://www.galcon.com/iphone/. Picked it up last night at its sale 4.99 price. If you check out that site you can take a look at a video of game play and get an idea of strategies and the leader boards for online multiplayer.

Nice, tagged.

Minus 1 recommendation for Vay. Maybe it's because I have so many other options to play JRpgs these days (PC, PSP, 360), but this game is so antiquated it hurts. The controls are awkward for me too.

[quote name='ninja dog']Nice, tagged.

Minus 1 recommendation for Vay. Maybe it's because I have so many other options to play JRpgs these days (PC, PSP, 360), but this game is so antiquated it hurts. The controls are awkward for me too.[/quote]

Yeah, my choice was between Galcon and Vay since they are the same price this week, and at first my thought was well Vay probably has more game time, but i also figured well if i wanna play a jrpg i might as well play a really good one on another system.

Galcon is pretty nice. Haven't tried the online yet, but i enjoyed the maps i tried today. Looks like it will have lots of replay value. Good visuals as well.

EDIT:

Apparently there is a trial version of GALCON now avaliable.

I must say, those games in the OP really aren't very good. And EA will never learn, paying for tetris is just wrong. 99 cents maybe, but 8 bucks? No way, never ever.

Any one have any thoughts on Wurdle?

I haven't tried Wurdle, but one word game I can recommend is Wordabble. One of the best things about it is that there is a daily puzzle that you can compete with everyone else on. It's a boggle-like game, but with a 5x5 grid of letters and somewhat scrabble-like scoring. Another cool features is that you can look up the meaning of words found, or not found, and there will be plenty you won't know as there are obscure words - in other games that could be a negative, but in this game since you can look the definitions up, it's educational and fun. Just don't expect to actually be able to find all the words in a given puzzle. Note, though, that definitions require an internet connection - it looks them up on the net. You can play the game without an internet connection, then look the words up later when you do. It's definitely worth the $2.99 asking price.

I also like Word Whirl which is only 99 cents. Not perfect by any means, but still a good game and cheap.

Motion X Poker for $0.99 is an insane steal. Get it, even if you don't play poker, just for an iPhone/iPod Touch graphics showcase. The fact that it's a fun game is just a bonus. ;)

--R.J.

and where's my Bookworm Deluxe?!

There's another word game I'm dl'ing right now called supernova. I'll let you guys know if its any good. It's free for a limited time if you guys wanna check it out.

Scramboni is a good free word game. If you don't wanna spend money on one its hard to knock it without trying. Requires free registration.

Basically its an online multiplayer word jumble. There are 20 rounds each with one jumbled word. Either one or two of the letters will be red and that signifies the letter is either the first or last of the word. You get more points for answering sooner than your opponents and it shows the first person to get it right along with your position. The leader board shows every few rounds.

My recommendations on discounted games:

MotionX Poker $0.99 (normally 5)
Wow, this game is addicting. Already my most played game.
Lots of unlockables, and even achievements! SO WORTH IT!

Galcon $4.99 (normally 10)
Really cool real time strategy type game with lots of modes, online rankings, and even ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.
There's a free 'lite' version just released yesterday, try it!

Enigmo $4.99 (normally 10)
Actually a pretty neat puzzle game, TONS of levels including many downloadable level packs.
It gets kinda hard though.

I also bought Cro-Mag Rally for two bucks.
Eh. I'm glad that's all I spent.

And here's a shout out for "Star Trigon" from NamcoBandai.
From the Mr. Driller folks, this is a pretty unknown title in the states that I'm so glad made it here.
Really easy to play, one button gameplay, very cool puzzle/action type game.
There's some videos on the net, but not many. I wish they made a demo for people, but it's probably the best game on there.

I've since picked up more games and recommend these:

Asphalt 4 Elite Racing $9.99
(this feels/looks like an actual psp/nds game)

Alli's Jigsaw Puzzle $0.99
(Not the most advanced game, but fun and cheap)

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart 3D $9.99
(This is what Cro-Mag Rally should have been)

The Stone of Destiny $9.99
(This is a game in the genre of "find it" where there's a quest with a list of objects you need to find. You can zoom in so that it's easier to see what you are looking for.)

Trism $4.99
(Match 3 of a kind touching sides to remove them. Pieces fall down and fill in. VERY addicting. Tilt the iPod/iPhone sideways and the pieces move like they are being pulled by gravity.)

And for the true cheapass...
21 Pro: Blackjack - Sponsored Edition.
(Nice Blackjack game paid for by ads that come on the screen before you play. The ads are only in this game, and are a part of the app itself, not effecting anything else on your device. I'm hoping they release more sponsored apps. If you are entirely against the ad support, a ad-free edition costs $4.99.)

[quote name='ryanflucas']I've since picked up more games and recommend these:

Asphalt 4 Elite Racing $9.99
Alli's Jigsaw Puzzle $0.99
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart 3D $9.99
The Stone of Destiny $9.99
Trism $4.99
21 Pro: Blackjack - Sponsored Edition.[/quote]

Those may well be good game, but none of them are deals. Those are all original prices.

In the app store, I would argue that any game where you get great value for money is a good deal.

If Crash Bandicoot had an original price of $20, then dropped to $10, would it be a better deal than it is at $10 now?

Is a jigsaw game that's always been $1 not a good deal if there are several similar games selling for $2-$5?

Is x-plane, the $10 flight sim, a good deal or not? The desktop version has many more features - but it sells for $39.

MotionX is worth the money. Billy Frontier is a fun shooter game.

CroMag Racing the controls really stink. Don't bother getting that.

On another note, search for Jaadu VNC it is only $4.99, regular price is $24.99. As long as you don't upgrade, you don't have to pay the full fee ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back