- - - - -

iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

#31 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

Puzzle game fans will also enjoy
Subway Shuffle - $3, 'lite' version available
Lumen - $4, 'lite' version available.
Phit - $1, web version available.
Vexed - $1, windows version available.

Four games, many hundreds of levels, nine bucks.

If I only had the time to learn iPhone development in addition to all these other phones I write for...sigh.

#32 xl_prankster_lx   The life of a mac CAGiversary!   306 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

xl_prankster_lx

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

I must say, those games in the OP really aren't very good. And EA will never learn, paying for tetris is just wrong. 99 cents maybe, but 8 bucks? No way, never ever.

Any one have any thoughts on Wurdle?

#33 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

I haven't tried Wurdle, but one word game I can recommend is Wordabble. One of the best things about it is that there is a daily puzzle that you can compete with everyone else on. It's a boggle-like game, but with a 5x5 grid of letters and somewhat scrabble-like scoring. Another cool features is that you can look up the meaning of words found, or not found, and there will be plenty you won't know as there are obscure words - in other games that could be a negative, but in this game since you can look the definitions up, it's educational and fun. Just don't expect to actually be able to find all the words in a given puzzle. Note, though, that definitions require an internet connection - it looks them up on the net. You can play the game without an internet connection, then look the words up later when you do. It's definitely worth the $2.99 asking price.

I also like Word Whirl which is only 99 cents. Not perfect by any means, but still a good game and cheap.

#34 rjung   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   453 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Motion X Poker for $0.99 is an insane steal. Get it, even if you don't play poker, just for an iPhone/iPod Touch graphics showcase. The fact that it's a fun game is just a bonus. ;)

--R.J.

#35 SeanNOLA   Ohwur? Mybur. CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

SeanNOLA

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Billy Frontier was my guilty pleasure game when it came out for Macs like 6 years ago.

#36 FoxHoundADAM   Super Zissou Bros. CAGiversary!   1790 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FoxHoundADAM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Where's my iPhone PEGGLE DAMNIT!!!

Sorry off topic.

#37 ninja dog   Shoto Guilt CAGiversary!   5730 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

and where's my Bookworm Deluxe?!

There's another word game I'm dl'ing right now called supernova. I'll let you guys know if its any good. It's free for a limited time if you guys wanna check it out.

#38 cbotwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   100 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

cbotwell

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

Scramboni is a good free word game. If you don't wanna spend money on one its hard to knock it without trying. Requires free registration.

Basically its an online multiplayer word jumble. There are 20 rounds each with one jumbled word. Either one or two of the letters will be red and that signifies the letter is either the first or last of the word. You get more points for answering sooner than your opponents and it shows the first person to get it right along with your position. The leader board shows every few rounds.

#39 Azumangaman  

Azumangaman

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

MotionX Pokers is awesome. Just picked it up for .99.
It even has medals that are like achievements. :)

#40 magiic   DENNY CRANE! CAGiversary!   5728 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

I grabbed a bunch of stuff. I'm looking forward to killing time with some of these on the plane.

#41 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:28 AM

My recommendations on discounted games:

MotionX Poker $0.99 (normally 5)
Wow, this game is addicting. Already my most played game.
Lots of unlockables, and even achievements! SO WORTH IT!

Galcon $4.99 (normally 10)
Really cool real time strategy type game with lots of modes, online rankings, and even ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.
There's a free 'lite' version just released yesterday, try it!

Enigmo $4.99 (normally 10)
Actually a pretty neat puzzle game, TONS of levels including many downloadable level packs.
It gets kinda hard though.

I also bought Cro-Mag Rally for two bucks.
Eh. I'm glad that's all I spent.

And here's a shout out for "Star Trigon" from NamcoBandai.
From the Mr. Driller folks, this is a pretty unknown title in the states that I'm so glad made it here.
Really easy to play, one button gameplay, very cool puzzle/action type game.
There's some videos on the net, but not many. I wish they made a demo for people, but it's probably the best game on there.

#42 SirConnery  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

I've since picked up more games and recommend these:

Asphalt 4 Elite Racing $9.99
(this feels/looks like an actual psp/nds game)

Alli's Jigsaw Puzzle $0.99
(Not the most advanced game, but fun and cheap)

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart 3D $9.99
(This is what Cro-Mag Rally should have been)

The Stone of Destiny $9.99
(This is a game in the genre of "find it" where there's a quest with a list of objects you need to find. You can zoom in so that it's easier to see what you are looking for.)

Trism $4.99
(Match 3 of a kind touching sides to remove them. Pieces fall down and fill in. VERY addicting. Tilt the iPod/iPhone sideways and the pieces move like they are being pulled by gravity.)

And for the true cheapass...
21 Pro: Blackjack - Sponsored Edition.
(Nice Blackjack game paid for by ads that come on the screen before you play. The ads are only in this game, and are a part of the app itself, not effecting anything else on your device. I'm hoping they release more sponsored apps. If you are entirely against the ad support, a ad-free edition costs $4.99.)

#43 Versafied   Formerly known as vlv723 CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks! Picked up MotionX Poker and Cro-Mag Rally.

Why TN, why you need to charge sales tax! *shakes fist*

#44 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

I've since picked up more games and recommend these:

Asphalt 4 Elite Racing $9.99
Alli's Jigsaw Puzzle $0.99
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart 3D $9.99
The Stone of Destiny $9.99
Trism $4.99
21 Pro: Blackjack - Sponsored Edition.

Those may well be good game, but none of them are deals. Those are all original prices.

#45 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

In the app store, I would argue that any game where you get great value for money is a good deal.

If Crash Bandicoot had an original price of $20, then dropped to $10, would it be a better deal than it is at $10 now?

Is a jigsaw game that's always been $1 not a good deal if there are several similar games selling for $2-$5?

Is x-plane, the $10 flight sim, a good deal or not? The desktop version has many more features - but it sells for $39.

#46 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:07 AM

BreakClassic just renamed to BlocksClassic and the price was changed from $3 (IIRC) to $1.

http://phobos.apple....=286136632&mt=8

This after a nasty letter from Atari's lawyers: http://toucharcade.c...reakout-clones/

Remember: Buying Atari products means condoning this type of attack.

#47 decon   CAGiversary! Excellent! CAGiversary!   842 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

MotionX is worth the money. Billy Frontier is a fun shooter game.

CroMag Racing the controls really stink. Don't bother getting that.

On another note, search for Jaadu VNC it is only $4.99, regular price is $24.99. As long as you don't upgrade, you don't have to pay the full fee ever.

#48 bug_nuts   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   313 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

my itunes is hsowing Jaadu VNC as 24.99?

#49 decon   CAGiversary! Excellent! CAGiversary!   842 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

my itunes is hsowing Jaadu VNC as 24.99?

Sorry I forgot, that was a 12 hour promotion that expired last night.

#50 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Scramboni is a good free word game. If you don't wanna spend money on one its hard to knock it without trying. Requires free registration.

Basically its an online multiplayer word jumble. There are 20 rounds each with one jumbled word. Either one or two of the letters will be red and that signifies the letter is either the first or last of the word. You get more points for answering sooner than your opponents and it shows the first person to get it right along with your position. The leader board shows every few rounds.

Thank you for this, I LOVE it!

Multiplayer games are great!

#51 cbotwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   100 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

cbotwell

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

Thank you for this, I LOVE it!

Multiplayer games are great!

They are on twitter @byteclub so let them know you like it and request a single player mode if you are interested.

#52 paz9x  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

galcon is fantastic.

#53 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

They are on twitter @byteclub so let them know you like it and request a single player mode if you are interested.

I played last night against my lady friend secretly.
She on my new phone and me on my old phone, I joined in as "hernameSucks", pretty funny when she turned around and yelled at me.

I'll let them know what I think.

#54 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

In the app store, I would argue that any game where you get great value for money is a good deal.

If Crash Bandicoot had an original price of $20, then dropped to $10, would it be a better deal than it is at $10 now?

It's not whether or not it is worth the money, it is whether or not it is a deal. If the price hasn't changed, it isn't a deal. Moreover, price drops on the iTS don't always go noticed, so it's worth posting about them. Sales are even more worthy since they are time-limited. Having said that, considering that there is no "iPhone Gaming" forum here, I suppose you might as well post whatever you want in this thread. Hopefully such a forum will be added. I'm now playing my iPod Touch more than anything else so I'd like to see one. It's just so damn convenient, and the games are fun. Even the crappy games are at least fun to discuss. :)

#55 reignbear@sbcglobal.   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   4 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

reignbear@sbcglobal.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

scrabble is on sale for 7.99 from 9.99 (i would recommend it, especially if you have someone to play against over wi-fi)

trism is on sale for 2.99 from 4.99 (haven't played it, but i've read only good things about it)

reign of swords is on sale for 7.99 as an introductory price i guess it will go back up to 9.99 after a while, but maybe not (haven't played it, but it looks cool and the other versions got really good reviews)

#56 APreciousDragon   The cake is a lie! CAGiversary!   781 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

APreciousDragon

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

Aurora Feint = Free (really addicting) game!!! :bouncy:

#57 decon   CAGiversary! Excellent! CAGiversary!   842 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Aurora Feint = Free (really addicting) game!!! :bouncy:

Thanks for the tip, I am downloading it now.

Many of the free apps are now in the paid listing...such as air sharing, white noise, pocket guitar. Download those free ones while you can!

#58 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

Par 72 Golf is on sale "for a limited time" for $4.99, down from $7.99. Not suppose to be anything great, though I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Tank Ace 1944 has dropped to $1.99, apparently down from $5.99. Also can't comment on this game - haven't played it.

Edit2: Solebon Solitaire has dropped to 99 cents. I don't have it, but I do have the free version and it's good for a solitaire game. If you like solitaire the full version should be good and it's certainly reasonably priced.

Edited by crunchewy, 24 September 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#59 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the tip, I am downloading it now.

Many of the free apps are now in the paid listing...such as air sharing, white noise, pocket guitar. Download those free ones while you can!

Yeah - that's a trick some developers are using now. Make your app free for a week and see the downloads roll in, then start charging and they get an instant rocket to the top paid apps listing. Hopefully Apple will fix this and make only purchased sales count toward top paid status.

As for Aurora Feint it is free and at least now they aren't raiding your address book. Yep - in earlier versions they had a "feature" where you could have it send the contents of your address book to their server and it would look to see if anyone in it also played Aurora Feint. Even though they were fairly upfront about it, it was just a really, really stupid idea. The game? It doesn't do a lot for me. It's a Bejeweled variant. If you like Bejeweled, you'll probably like it, though I found the main game to be ludicrously easy. it's just a time killer, not a challenge. The other parts of the game are more challenging, but you keep having to go back to the main game.

#60 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Wurdle = Bad Ass