P3P for PSP - Persona 3 Portable headed to the US July 2010

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
A Famitsu scan appeared on VGX:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/fdd22d45805827

Atlus is bringing Persona 3 to the PSP in some form. Not much information is given in the scan, except for the tidbit that the main character can be female.

UPDATE 2: Duckroll of NeoGAF posted some info from the article:
No. They're not going to make any of these MASSIVE changes you think they are making. It's a port of Persona 3, with selectable protagonist. There will be certain things unique to the female route, and there will be some new additions to the male route as well. Otherwise it's the same game with various improvements. Apparently there'll be 5 difficulty levels, and like in P4, you can set your party members on manual control. The game is coming out on 1st Nov.

UPDATE: Second Scan is up, and it features a Male version of Elizabeth:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/75290b45811493

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it vanilla P3 that's getting a port or P3:FES with the additional protagonist/details?

Ditto on the hopes for P2, both halves.

This is awesome. I'm still only 20-something hours into P3 Fes for PS2; I'll probably start over if this comes to the US. I find it a lot easier to pour hours into a long RPG when it's on a portable rather than a console.

Also, it's kind of cool that you can choose a female protagonist... If I'm going to be staring at some character's butt for 80 hours, it may as well be a good-looking chick. But I don't know if I can stand to lose Elizabeth, her character is one of my favorite things about the game.

Jesus, how many times can they expect you to buy the same game within a 3 year period? I already own the original and FES. The only way I'd pick this up is if it reached bargain bin prices. I love the game but seriously, give us P5 or some new SMT on the PS3 instead.

I wonder what they'll do with some of the S Links. I mean they would definitely have to change the Hermit S Link up a bit... and that makes me sad. I'd also like to hear how they handle the new game+. It would be nice to play through one time as a male and try the female route for the new game+.
[quote name='Ryuukishi']Also, it's kind of cool that you can choose a female protagonist... If I'm going to be staring at some character's butt for 80 hours, it may as well be a good-looking chick.[/QUOTE]
I agree. And thats why my team was made up of all females. And I also agree on the Elizabeth thing... she was one of my favorite characters and it would just feel strange without her in the Velvet room.

bigl523: I'd complain if this was just another console re-release. But I love the idea of having P3 to play while I'm on the go.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I imagine if Persona does well enough, the sequel will be a no brainer for the remake/port treatment.[/QUOTE]
I would hope they at least wait another year or two.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I wonder what they'll do with some of the S Links. I mean they would definitely have to change the Hermit S Link up a bit... and that makes me sad. I'd also like to hear how they handle the new game+. It would be nice to play through one time as a male and try the female route for the new game+.

[/QUOTE]

The S Link and other things will be different if you chose the female main character.

I know but I wonder how different they will be. Will they they just use the same characters and just change the events? Or will the remove some of them and use new characters?

Cool, I was hoping for Persona 3 portable, but I figured I'd have to wait until sony's next handheld(which willhopefully have PS2 emulation).

Akihiko and Junpei Social Links for the female side seem likely, but we'll see. There are a lot of males for the social links, I wonder how many of them will be changed so that you can date them.

I would think that the Female protagonist would join women's sports clubs, which might mean a couple new characters for that, or maybe they let you join the archery club and form a social link with Yukari that way..

I'm looking forward to this. I've never played FES or the original either. I can see why people would've prefered P2 over P3 though. Not sure why they wouldn't just go chronologically.

[quote name='DQT']I'm looking forward to this. I've never played FES or the original either. I can see why people would've prefered P2 over P3 though. Not sure why they wouldn't just go chronologically.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing P3 was really popular and they'd like to make more $$$, and then release 2.

[quote name='62t']looks like free roaming after school is gone now?[/QUOTE]
Where'd you hear that? If they removed that how would you get any quests/shopping done?

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Where'd you hear that? If they removed that how would you get any quests/shopping done?[/QUOTE]

It can be done. You have one main category such as location then you split up the conversation with a person in subcategories. They used the same technique on Devil Survivor. Developers probably want to reduce the tedious parts moving around for slink. It also reduce the loading times, since they are less images on screen.

It seems 62t is right about no more free roaming. I'm looking at a scan with the MC talking to a few characters and all of them have fixed backgrounds. I guess this means the side quests will be changed or removed completely(Except the fusing requests I guess). I recall a few of them required you to run around the map to find various things.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I'm looking at a scan with the MC talking to a few characters and all of them have fixed backgrounds.[/QUOTE]
Link?

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I found these over at gamefaqs One and Two.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. It does look like they're replacing certain environments (like the courtyard outside the front door of the school) with static backdrops, though the classroom and mall still look like they did on the PS2.

I think most of them will be replaced. If you check out the shot of the dorm you can see icons over everyone making it seem like you'll just use menus to move around.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I think most of them will be replaced. If you check out the shot of the dorm you can see icons over everyone making it seem like you'll just use menus to move around.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. Well, if anything, the more distinct the experience the better I'll feel about playing through it twice.

Do you guys think the things being cut would reduce the approximate playtime by a lot, or is it just filler stuff that probably wasn't needed anyway?

[quote name='Ryukahn']Do you guys think the things being cut would reduce the approximate playtime by a lot, or is it just filler stuff that probably wasn't needed anyway?[/QUOTE]
I'd imagine any cut content would effect playtime. But until we know how much is cut/added/changed we won't have any idea of just how much it will effect play time. But if it's true that they replaced free-roaming with a menu based system it will probably shave off a good deal of time in the long run. Which wouldn't be that much of a bad thing

Yeah, by eliminating the free-roaming they're cutting off time you'd be wasting running around.

Wow, new music. Wasn't expecting that. Hopefully they will replace the godawful (after 100 hours) dorm music.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Song is still in the first vid.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I'd imagine any cut content would effect playtime. But until we know how much is cut/added/changed we won't have any idea of just how much it will effect play time. But if it's true that they replaced free-roaming with a menu based system it will probably shave off a good deal of time in the long run. Which wouldn't be that much of a bad thing[/QUOTE]

I worded it wrong. Mainly just wanted to know if the cut content was filler stuff or stuff that was worthwhile gameplay. I know very little is known about the game, but it seemed you guys had an idea of what was cut, so thought you could give some insight on it. ;)

For now we know that you wont be moving around on a map anymore and instead will just click on the person you want to talk to or place you want to go.

Interesting that they cut out the free-roaming, but the static screens that you use instead look alright, you have the character models on the screen and stuff.

Looks like Ken is a social link now too for the female protagonist.

Decided to write down the phases in the opening.

0:39: Top-Minato's legs- "He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." WTF?

Mirrored-Middle- "Resentment"

Mirroed-bottom-Female MC's legs-" What does not kill me makes me stronger."

0:44: Top-Minato's Legs: Dissociated state
Female's Legs: Dissociative fugue

0:52: Female MC: Lyapunov exponent
Minato: Topological Space

0: 59: Anima and Animus
---------------------------------------

1:02: Memento Mori Latin for "Remember you shall die"

Couldn't get the Aigis Part. Sorry.
-------------------------
This part was a race against time. Lol.

1:10: Top: Man was born free, and everywhere he shall be in chains.

Bottom: L'obeissance au seul appetit est esclavage et l'obeissance a la Loi qu'on s'est prescrite est liberte

Translation from French:
"Obedience to the mere appetite is slavery, and obedience to the law has prescribed that is freedom."

-----------------------------------------
1:11: Living is not breathing but doing

A meeting between two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances, if there are any reactions, both are transformed.

(These two switch in milliseconds)

Man believe what he wants to believe in the way he wants.

-------------------------------------------
1:12: Forgetting pain provides relief, but only leads to repetition.
Life is law, death nearly a sleep.

BUTTERFLY EFFECT
CHAOS THEORY
----------------------
1:13- 1:32 Not even going to try.
-------------------------

1:33: To live, is to lose whatever has been chosen. That's it.

You know, I assumed this would be the FES version with some changes to make it work on PSP, but I read on GameFAQs that this won't include the FES content. That doesn't seem to make much sense though. Any of you guys know, since you seem to have some good info on it? ;)

[quote name='Ryukahn']You know, I assumed this would be the FES version with some changes to make it work on PSP, but I read on GameFAQs that this won't include the FES content. That doesn't seem to make much sense though. Any of you guys know, since you seem to have some good info on it? ;)[/QUOTE]

Meh, no FES content kills the purchase for me. I've still got FES in my backlog, so I'd rather play that than run through regular P3 again, even if it's got a new female lead and a few different s-links.

It probably won't have the answer, but it will likely have the FES content for the Journey.

It's always possible that they release an upgraded the answer or a new expansion through DLC.

Quoting Duckroll from NeoGAF:

Bic Camera's game description for P3P is pretty interesting. It confirms certain things we already know, like how you can control team mates in battles, and the game has been entirely rebalanced. It also confirms that there are "many popular systems" from Persona 4 which will be implemented into P3P. Most important of all, it confirms that it is the female route which will be receiving "brand new tracks" from Meguro for both the daily life parts as well as battles. So this means that for the male route, I doubt there will be changes in the music which is already there. It basically confirms two different soundtracks depending one which gender you select.

More of a reason to check out the female route I guess.

I hope they bring in the changes they made to "dating" in P4. It was a pain to juggle multiple female S. Links in P3 after you got to Rank 5-6.

You never played the original P3, Crash? Yeah, the party wasn't controllable. It stunk in a sense because you didn't get the Knock All Enemies Down until a decent way into the game.

Having no direct control over the party isn't as bad as it sounds. For the most part the AI did a decent job in listening to commands. The only problem is that you had to wait to unlock some commands(I think after every boss fight) and the AI's occasional screw up.

[quote name='Moxio']You never played the original P3, Crash? Yeah, the party wasn't controllable. It stunk in a sense because you didn't get the Knock All Enemies Down until a decent way into the game.[/QUOTE]

Well, good thing I never picked up a PS2 for P3: FES, as this would have been incredibly annoying.

I actually liked having the AI-controlled party members. It made the battles go lightning fast compared to other turn-based games, and the AI itself was no worse than other games like Tales.

bread's done
Back