Official iOS Jailbreaking Thread [4.1 Greenpois0n Mac version out! 10.6 only so far]

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
This is the quick and dirty first stab at an iOS jailbreaking thread. For starters I'll just post the most basic of info.

NEW: Greenpoison, based on Geohot's exploit, is now out for Mac, Windows and Linux. Currently the Mac version is for 10.6 only, but a 10.5 compatible version is expected. http://www.greenpois0n.com/ Limera1n is also out for Mac and Windows: http://www.limera1n.com/

I've created a list on twitter of some of the key figures in jailbreaking in general, and the upcoming SHAtter jailbreak: http://twitter.com/#!/crunchewy/jailbreak

Dev-team demoed Shatter-based iOS 4.1 jailbreak on an iPod touch 4G. That doesn't mean it's out yet. In fact it could be a while yet. In any case, see: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1197198297/shattered-ipod-touch-4g

Sn0wbreeze 2.0.1 for jailbreaking iOS 4.1. It only works with specific models of iPhone and iPod touch, nothing current, and there have been reports of problems, from what I've ready, but don't take my word for it. See the forums there. See this post in the thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7648477&postcount=151

IMPORTANT: if you are updated to iOS 4.0.2. 4.1 or later, jailbreakme.com will not work! So don't update to 4.1 if you still have the option! An iOS 4.1 jailbreak is coming, though how long until we get it is unknown. Here's some sites and feeds that you can follow along with:

NOTE: Saurik released "PDF Patch (CVE-2010-1797)" which fixes the PDF vulnerability in a similar fashion to how Apple patches it in 4.0.2. So install this instead of updating to 4.0.2! It is available both from Cydia.

How
If you are running iOS 4.0.1 or earlier it's ridiculously easy. Head on over to http://jailbreakme.com/ on your iOS device and then slide the slider that appears on the web page. In a minutes or so your iOS device will be jailbroken and you'll find a new App on your "SpringBoard" called "Cydia". Use Cydia to download jailbreak apps.

Is it legal?

Why?
Because it's there? Or perhaps because you want features that aren't otherwise available, such as "Mobile Hotspot", the ability to download large files from iTunes, the App Store and run Facetime over 3G, etc.

Is there anything illegal available from Cydia/RockApp?
Probably. If it strikes you as questionable, odds are it's questionable.

What are the risks?
You need to be careful to only install apps and tools that work with your version of iOS. Not all jailbreak apps work with iOS 4 and the iPhone 4, for example, but the numbers are rapidly growing. Some things may cause instability, but it is possible to have your jailbreak and be crash free - post in this thread for help! I have quite a few hacks installed and have been crash free for a while now.

Also, if you install SSH, be sure to change both the root password and the password for user "mobile". Otherwise you leave yourself vulnerable. I don't believe there is any risk if you don't install SSH, but someone more knowledgable can correct me on that if not true.

How can I go back to standard iOS if I get the willies, or I end up thinking it's just stupid?
Connect your iOS device to your computer and let iTunes back it up. Then select it's icon in iTunes, and click the Restore button on the Summary tab. Note that restoring will take a long time depending on how much stuff you have on your iOS device. It will first restore it to factory settings and then you'll have the option to set it up from your backup and copy all your files back onto it.

How can I unlock my iPhone?
First jailbreak your phone, then download "ultrasn0w" version 1.0-1 from the Cydia app. Done.

What are the risks of unlocking my iPhone?
I don't know - help, anyone?

What are some useful Cydia/RockApp apps that work with iOS 4?

• Activator - gesture activation of apps, hacks, etc.
  • SBSettings - quick access to settings. Expandable with add-on modules
  • MyWi - mobile hotspot and tethering
  • My3G/3G Unrestrictor - download large App Store and iTunes files (apps, podcasts, etc) while on 3G, Facetime over 3G, etc.
  • ScreenDimmer - dim screen/turn off screen after a period of time instead of locking (or in addition to). Can also disable locking and dimming while charging, allow dimming for apps that normally don't allow it, etc.
  • iFile - file browser/mover/etc, package installer, zip/7z, etc.
  • InfiniFolders - unlimited apps in iOS 4.x folders
  • AppBackup - backup/restore data for apps bought from the App Store
  • AptBackup - backup list of installed Cydia apps for later restore (doesn't backup data, just the list of what you have installed!)
  • Signal - live map of local cell towers and detailed info about them, etc. Ok, may not really be that useful, but fun to play with and it supports a Dev team member if you buy it
  • BTStack GPS - use an external bluetooth GPS with your apps. Even add GPS to the iPod touch and GPS-less iPad!
  • CyDelete - delete Cydia apps just like how you delete App Store apps
  • Action Menu/Action Menu Plus Pack - expands the Copy/Paste capabilities, with favorites, clipboard history, paste location, etc, etc.
    ... etc ...

How do I downgrade to 4.0.1?
This is only possible if you clicked the "Make my life easy" option in Cydia. Presuming you have: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/09/downgrade-ios-4-1-to-4-0-1-for-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-3g/

Note that I'm new to jailbreaking and so the above info is just what I know to the best of my knowledge. Please post corrections and other info that could be useful to others. Also this is just a quick and dirty first stab at this OP in order to get the ball rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobile Hotspot (iPhone as a wireless access point)
This requires a paid application called MiWi which is available by first installing RockApp, and then using RockApp to download a trial version. You have 10 days to try it for free, and then it will cost $20 to continue using it. MiWi is well worth the money. MyWi is not illegal, but using it without paying AT&T for tethering does violate their terms of service, so they could slap you with a tethering fee after the fact, or even cancel your service - pay for tethering and you are set. I've had great luck with MyWi. We even have had two Macs running through it at the same time and the performance was surprisingly good. You can also use it tethered via USB, but I've mostly used it via WiFi. Also note that it continues to function even if your iPhone it's running on is syncing with iTunes, and you can do anything else you want on your iPhone and it will continue to function, short of shutting it down, of course. Very nice!

Facetime on 3G/Downloading large files while on 3G
Download either My3G (only from RockApp), or 3GUnrestrictor (only from Cydia). I've used My3G and am very happy with it. Both are paid apps. Note that I have not used My3G with Facetime, but I have used it with both the App Store and iTunes on my iPhone to download files (apps, podcasts, etc.) that I'd otherwise not have been able to download while on 3G and it has worked flawlessly for me. Malik112099 reported that he had problems with Facetime on My3G and that it worked better with 3GUnrestrictor, though I believe there's been an update to My3G since then so perhaps better now?

Flash (Adobe Flash)
Launch Cydia and tap the "Manage" tab. Tap "Sources". Tap the "Edit" button. Tap "Add". Enter "http://repo.benm.at/". Tap "Add Source". Cydia will reload sources. Now in the same "Manage" tab and in "Sources", you'll find an entry for "BENM.AT Repo". Tap that and you'll find an entry for "Frash" as well as an SBSettings toggle to turn Frash on and off easily via SBSettings. Install both! Note that it's, as Malik will point out, a "Pre-Alpha". Let's just hope it gets out of "Pre-Alpha" stage. :) Currently the usefulness of this one is suspect. Maybe later it will be a useful add-on. I list it now anyway for your entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
in regards to jailbreaking, planetbeing is looking into battery drain issues that many people are experiencing after jailbreaking/unlocking their phones.

I don't think I've seen any appreciable drain as compared to not being jailbroken, on my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0.1, but I can't be 100% sure. I've been mucking with the thing for hours this morning, including installing stuff, uninstalling stuff, running jailbroken apps, etc, and I'm still at 72% battery.

Anyone here play Carcassonne? I love the game, but I've grown to hate the "It's your turn" notification sound. I ended up turning off the notification sound, but now I've got a better solution - replacing the sound files it uses for the notification! You can just swap in your .wav of choice and it works fine! I used the jailbreak app iFile (which I've now ended up buying - very useful tool) to do this, but you could also do this remotely via sftp and an sftp client on your computer. Only difference is you'll have to figure out what letter/number string is really Carcassonne.

You should turn off Notifications before doing this in Carcassonne. I'm not sure what will happen if Carcassonne tries to do a notification while you are messing with these WAV files!

First, in iFile, turn on the option to show Application Names instead of just those cryptic letter/number strings. Then go here:

/var/mobile/Applications/Carcassonne/Carcassonne.app/

Note that that first "Carcassonne" is really the number/letter string, but in iFile, with the Application Names option on it will show as Carcassonne. Anyway....

The relevant files are:

YourTurn1.wav
YourTurn2.wav
YourTurn3.wav
YourTurn4.wav

You'll want to rename those or otherwise back them up. In iFile you can make a ZIP file out of them, but you could also just rename them. Then just put in whatever .wav file you want for each one (the game picks one of them at random) and name them YourTurn1.wav, YourTurn2.wav, etc.

iFile has a copy and paste feature for files. I used that to copy sounds out Q-bert and then pasted them into this folder and renamed them. At first I had 4 different sounds, but I ended up changing them all to the same, least obnoxious one. :) In any case it works without a hitch! I enabled notification sounds again, and now I get a nice, pleasant little beep that doesn't cause a stir when it goes off in meetings (had I kept those other Q-bert sounds, it might have been worse. :)

Also, iOS 4.0.2 is out today, which appears to only have the change of closing the PDF exploit. Note that installing 4.0.2 means that you can't use the jailbreakme.com jailbreak!!!

So if you haven't jailbroken yet and want to do so, definitely do not update! What's the consequences of updating if you *are* jailbroken? I would like to have the fix for the exploit in place, just so long as I am already jailbroken. My understanding is that the PDF Loader Warning thing in Cydia is not a real fix for the problem and still leaves you vulnerable somehow (I don't really understand - see the explanation in Cydia in the notes for PDF Loader Warning.)

Also, is it possible, once you have updated to 4.0.2, to later downgrade to 4.0.1? Perhaps via a restore? How can I store the 4.0.1 firmware for this purpose (if this works)?

If I do the "jailbreakme" trick, is it going to wipe my phone completely? My previous Spirit jailbreak deleted all of my pictures.

[quote name='Malik112099']Jailbreaking wont change anything on your phone. Nothing happens other than after its over you have an app called Cydia.[/QUOTE]

Thank you...

Follow up question...

With the ability for me to keep my apps, I will be able to use them with no problem?
The reason I ask is that my office does a Words with Friends contest with the losers buying drinks at happy hour, and I would hate to be excluded

Follow up question 2...

Will I still be able to use the Apple App store as well as Cydia?

[quote name='iambeaker']Thank you...

Follow up question...

With the ability for me to keep my apps, I will be able to use them with no problem?
The reason I ask is that my office does a Words with Friends contest with the losers buying drinks at happy hour, and I would hate to be excluded

Follow up question 2...

Will I still be able to use the Apple App store as well as Cydia?[/QUOTE]

Let me put it this way. The phone has NO CLUE it is jailbroken. You can do everything you could do before. EVERYTHING. Nothing will change except that you can now run non-appstore apps/programs/what have you. Everything else is the same.

[quote name='perdition(troy']in regards to jailbreaking, planetbeing is looking into battery drain issues that many people are experiencing after jailbreaking/unlocking their phones.[/QUOTE]

My battery certainly drains quickly post Jailbreak. It seems to be only when using Jailbroken apps/features (Cydia, mainly). It drops like a rock while using that stuff. Hope they find something!

[quote name='iambeaker']With the ability for me to keep my apps, I will be able to use them with no problem?
[/quote]

No drinking games, but I play WWF regularly though jailbroken. It makes no difference. Also, some jailbreak stuff adds things to existing apps. For example the Haptic Pro app adds "haptic feedback" everywhere. Basically that means it buzzes the phone slightly every time you tap something, though it gives you options for when it does this, etc.

For instance you could restrict it to only the keyboard, or only buttons, etc. Also you can adjust the duration of the vibration. Now, Haptic Pro is going to drain the battery faster I'm sure. Also, I'm still trying to decide if I even like having it on. I think sometimes it seems like it helps, and a lot of the time it's, to be honest, kind of annoying. I think I may end up limiting it to just the keyboard, but how I feel about Haptic Pro seems to change by the minute.

Now something I'm totally enthused about is "BTStack GPS". I just got in a Bluetooth external GPS, the hope being that it would provide a better GPS signal then the built in GPS, and the early verdict is it's a big win! This will depend on the GPS receiver you choose. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018YZ836/ref=oss_product

It works great, except that the first time I try to connect with it it fails to get a fix, or perhaps BTStack GPS's GPS app has a bug. In any case I disconnect and then reconnect and it picks it up and works great from then on. If you use BTStack GPS without paying for it you can only view the results within its GPS connecting app. Once you pay for it it sends the GPS data to all your other GPS apps, including standard App store apps, in place of the built-in GPS (or even if your iOS device doesn't have a GPS, though I can't test that out myself). I'm planning to use it for Geocaching (See http://geocaching.com), but also in-car. So far the improvement in accuracy is pretty fantastic, but I haven't had a chance to try it out in the woods yet.

Saurik (the guy that made Cydia) has released a "PDF Patch (CVE-2010-1797)", that replaces PDF Loading Warner, and provides a real patch of the problem. I.e. something similar to what Apple did with 4.0.2. So everyone should definitely install this! It will replace PDF Loading Warner on install.

Thnx CheapyD for bringing back the thread from the dead.

Does anyone think the new ipod touch coming out in september will have the a4 processor ? and also do you think it will have the gyroscope thingy ?

[quote name='crunchewy']You won't lose anything, or at least I sure didn't. It was pretty much entirely painless.

perdition - what are "shsh blobs"?[/QUOTE]

sorry, I missed that post when you made it. SHSH Blobs are signed by apple, and the big thing about them is they allow you to downgrade your firmware to whatever you saved the SHSH blobs for. ie, on my wifes 3gs we have the blobs saved for 3.13, 4.0, and 4.0.1, which allows her to downgrade to either of those three firmwares if she wants to. Without the blobs, she can't do that.

I'm still running a jailbroken 3.1.2 on my iTouch 3G, where do I download the firmware updates individually? iTunes wants to update directly to 4.0.2.

Backgrounder works with iOS 4 and the iPhone 4. There's not a great deal of need for this on an iPhone 4, as 99% of what I'd need multitasking for is already covered by iOS 4, and done more efficiently/with less power drain, but there are occasions. Actually, mostly just apps which annoyingly haven't been updated for iOS 4 multitasking, or which are buggy with iOS 4 multitasking (for example, Camera+). I can use Backgrounder to set an "override" for Camera+ that disables multitasking for that app, which makes it work better... at least until they fix the bugs that are crippling it....

I removed some "garbage" apps, and kept only the major good ones I was using. Either something was updated, or, I killed off the app that was draining my battery. I've been sitting pretty for two days now on the same charge.

Two days on the same charge? Wow. I've never made it through an entire day without charging, but that isn't a change - I just use my iPhone so much. Was the same before jailbreaking. If anything battery life has improved a little due to Screen Dimmer, but not sure about that. In any case, glad to hear yours is behaving better!

Im having my phone crash and have to respring whenever I try to select anything by holding down (i.e. to copy and paste). It also has a similar problem when I am pressing the delete key multiple times (i.e. in a text msg to correct spelling).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It wasn't happening at first, but then I reset my settings to factory settings trying to fix the My3G Facetime issues (facetime no longer works for me on 3G OR Wifi) and from that time forward I am crashing all the time when I am texting or trying to copy anything.

Any ideas on the problem or how to fix it?? Anything will be appreciated!

I don't know what's causing it, but what I'd do is make sure you have any available updates. If that doesn't help, I'd remove Mobile Substrate. That will also remove pretty much every hack, because they also use that. See if the problems gone. Then reinstall the hacks you most like, testing for the issue after each install.

I have My3G but don't know if I have any issues with FaceTime as I have no one to try it with.

I am trying to use the iMario theme (see spoiler for link) but when I download it from MacForums (currently down), I get a ZIP file. I have tried to upload the zip file to my iPhone using SSH but it doesn't work. I tried to unzip the file and load, but it still doesn't work. What files do I need to add to my iPhone?

link from Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5612176/are-you-sure-you-dont-want-to-jailbreak-your-iphone

Reserved for the link to the MacForums: Currently down

Browser Changer works great! At first I didn't think it was working, but then I found out that it includes an SBSettings module, and it seems to default to OFF, thus making it not work. Toggling that to on, I've now got iCabMobile as my default browser! I like iCab Mobile quite a bit, I just didn't like that whenever I clicked a link in some other app it would launch Safari, which made iCab less useful. Now that problem is solved! One of the best features of iCab Mobile is that you can change the Browser ID to look like Safari Mac, Internet Explorer, or whatever, thus getting around annoying sites that force you into a gimped iPhone specific version of their website. And if the iPhone version is better, you can switch back. I wish they'd add the ability to set overrides for specific websites as that would make it near perfect. Maybe in any update? iCab also has a full screen browsing mode which is nice too. iCab Mobile is a normal App, incidentally, and a pay app, but it's worth purchasing, especially now with Browser Changer.

Oh, and iCab can download files, even as-is (without jailbreaking), but it's a lot more useful when jailbroken as you can actually do stuff with the downloaded files. Especially if you also have iFile, which will let you unzip .zip files (maybe other formats? Not sure) and even install .deb files. So Browser Changer + iCab Mobile + iFile is an awesome combination!

Does anyone know if there is an app or add-on that can sort items in folders (and supports InfiniFolders) or, and perhaps better, an alternate App browser/launcher that has a List View, with sorting by your choice of column? Needs to work with the iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0.1.

I was looking into jailbreaking since I wanted to find a way to play Netflix (since they're taking ages with the official app), but, when I backed up my phone (so I could jailbreak it), I must have updated the software. It's really frustrating, now, that I am unable to jailbreak it! :(

I'm bookmarking this thread to keep an eye for the new jailbreak (if it ever comes)!

[quote name='Rig']I removed some "garbage" apps, and kept only the major good ones I was using. Either something was updated, or, I killed off the app that was draining my battery. I've been sitting pretty for two days now on the same charge.[/QUOTE]

Are you not using your phone at all? It is almost impossible to go through a day of normal use without charging.

On top of my battery draining much faster, I find that my visual voicemail has stopped working. I've had a full week go by before I realized that voicemail wasn't working. A hard reboot typically fixes it but the problem resurfaces after several days. I'm happy to have SBSettings back, as well as my five icon dock but these instabilities are kinda frustrating.

I've had my share of crashes to safe mode too. I'm not sure how it compares as this is my first time jailbroken. I keep trying to find what's causing them but I keep thinking I've found the one, only to get another crash. I'm starting to suspect Mobile Substrate again, but I'm not ready to give up on everything, which is what removing Mobile Substrate effectively means. Even with the occasional crash it's going to be hard to give it up.

[quote name='eliter1']Are you not using your phone at all? It is almost impossible to go through a day of normal use without charging.[/QUOTE]

Probably haven't been using it as much as usual. And prolly nowhere near the amount some of you are.

Current stats:

Usage: 4 Hours, 58 Minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 23 Hours
Battery life (right now): 20%

All of that was starting from a 100% charge.

This morning the crashes to safe mode got ridiculous and I finally did what I've been thinking about doing - I uninstalled Activator, which also uninstalls SBSettings and lots of other stuff. I also uninstalled Screen Dimmer and Haptic Pro. Now all the "hacks" I have are MyWi, My3G and BTStack GPS (and BTStack), which are the main things I want. I've also got some jailbreak apps (not hacks), but I doubt they are an issue, such as a wallpaper download app, iFile, etc. I'm a little wary of BTStack, but hopefully it doesn't prove to be the cause of any problems, because I love using my external GPS.

If it doesn't get better I'm going to restore (to 4.0.1) so I have a clean slate, then jailbreak and install MyWi, My3G and BTStack GPS and some of the apps. If *that* doesn't work, then I guess I'll just live with the crashes and hope that whatever's causing them gets fixed sometime soon.

The guy behind xspectrum (Spectrum emu) is nearly done a new port of MAME for iPhone and iPad and it looks amazing! They claim that the dpad is much better then other emus (including the one in xpectrum). In any case I'm looking forward to this. There are some videos in this post at toucharcade.com, but note that the person that wrote this post is *not* the developer. They can be found posting in the thread, though:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1257726&postcount=32

EDIT: also really makes me want to get an iPad. However, I hope the rumors of a new 7" iPad with higher pixel density (same resolution, smaller screen) are true, because the Retina display has spoiled me - stuff on the iPad looks so pixely now. Plus I like the idea of a somewhat smaller iPad anyway - still pretty big, but more portable. Of course then I'll need there to be a new jailbreak for it....

The 24 hour verdict on having removed SBSettings and Activator (really, Activator, which also removes SBSettings and everything that is dependent on either of them) is that it's a win! For the first time since jailbreaking, I've gone 24 hours without a single crash to safe mode, and that while doing some stuff which I previously thought risky. For example while driving I've been logging with WiFiFoFum and that using an external GPS via "BTStack GPS" while simultaneously listing to an AAC+ internet radio stream with Pocket Tunes (a regular AppStore app). Just the day prior, trying to do this sent me into crash happy land.

Last night I reinstalled Screen Dimmer and Haptic Pro and both are working great and still no crashes at all. So it's still too early to tell for sure, and I'm not sure which of SBSettings or Activator (or both) are the issue if they are the issue, but I'd suggest anyone having problems with lots of crashes to safe mode try removing Activator/SBSettings and see how it goes for you. I'm going to keep going this way for a few more days. I may try reinstalling Backgrounder again, but not sure about that yet.

I haven't had any problems with SBSettings but the new Facebook app is totally fucked. The app refuses to load Facebook content or even log in to Facebook. I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that only jailbroken iPhones are affected. Is anyone else having this problem?

I definitely had lots of crashes before deleting Activator and SBSettings. Now have gone 2 1/2 days without a crash to safe mode. Weird. I definitely seemed to get crashes from something. I'll probably try SBSettings again after the next update it gets, but mostly not really missing it anyway. Just glad to have MyWi, My3G, BTStack GPS, Screen Dimmer, Haptic Pro, etc.

Also, iMAME4all is out and seems pretty slick for the few minutes I've had to try it.

No problems with Facebook so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back