Minecraft - Who else is playing?

I've been playing for about a week now but my interest is starting to die down. I guess I'm not a big believer of self imposed goals. That's not to say I didn't make a ton of stupid crap though, I'll probably post some screens later :p

I sure as hell have read a lot about it as the entire internet has an orgasm whenever it's mentioned.

I was never a real creative person, so I don't think this game would hold my interest for very long. Still, it's pretty amazing what people have done and the endless possibilities of it.

I posted it in my 'Free And Legal PC Games' list at the request of another member of this forum.

Link to the list in my sig or check the sticky section.

I played it for 33 minutes seems like great fun. The Youtube videos of what others have done with it are amazing.

The (full version of the) game is only free until he has the servers back up. After that time you will need a paid account to play your game.

On the other hand yes, I am playing it.. Lol.

My friend and I tried it a few weeks ago. I thought it was pretty boring. Slamming a pick axe into what's supposed to be stone for 20 minutes is only entertaining for so long.

Also, it gets dark WAY to fast. In the beginning when you have nothing, you get to mine/scavenge/build for all of five minutes, then it gets dark so you have to either hide or go out and try and kill stuff. You'll likely die doing that though because you don't have shit crafted.

[quote name='Phelmo']The (full version of the) game is only free until he has the servers back up. After that time you will need a paid account to play your game.

On the other hand yes, I am playing it.. Lol.[/QUOTE]

Classic will still be 'F2P' though. Just to clarify for others.

[quote name='SEH']
Also, it gets dark WAY to fast. In the beginning when you have nothing, you get to mine/scavenge/build for all of five minutes, then it gets dark so you have to either hide or go out and try and kill stuff. You'll likely die doing that though because you don't have shit crafted.[/QUOTE]

Turning the difficulty to peaceful makes it so that no monsters spawn, so you can craft for as long as you like before turning it back up.

@Megazell; Yes, classic will remain free.

[quote name='SEH']My friend and I tried it a few weeks ago. I thought it was pretty boring. Slamming a pick axe into what's supposed to be stone for 20 minutes is only entertaining for so long.

Also, it gets dark WAY to fast. In the beginning when you have nothing, you get to mine/scavenge/build for all of five minutes, then it gets dark so you have to either hide or go out and try and kill stuff. You'll likely die doing that though because you don't have shit crafted.[/QUOTE]

Ciet la alpha, the game certainly needs some balance tuning among other things.

I mostly bought it based on promise. The game is already a good bit of fun to me and with the future looking bright and likely a strong modding scene, I couldn't resist grabbing it at half price.

Been playing the crap out of it, enough that I'm tossing the guy his asking price ($~11 is indeed a bargain for this game, at least for me). As Hyrdo2Oxide has said, Notch (the main/only programmer) made a lot of promises, many of which he's fulfilling piece by piece. Maybe once this game moves to the 'Beta' phase, the balancing issues would smooth itself out.

I guess this game serves that wanderlust that I cannot fulfill otherwise. I just wish you could move your spawn point. Nothing more frustrating that traveling an hour in one direction, just to fall into a pit of molten lava and losing all of your hard-earned diamonds.

Oh well, maybe I'll head straight west next time (which would let me test out the boat-mechanics).

One last thing to say: For an 'Alpha' build, this game has more polish than a lot of the retail games you could see in your neighborhood BB or GS. Either this kid is a genius, a god, or both.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']One last thing to say: For an 'Alpha' build, this game has more polish than a lot of the retail games you could see in your neighborhood BB or GS. Either this kid is a genius, a god, or both.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I was thinking about doing the same but I already donated to another game last month.

[quote name='dallow']Do you mean buying?[/QUOTE]

No. I would not buy the full game. I was thinking about donating though towards the freeware version...something like $5.00.

He owes about 100k of his sales from this guy called SeaNanners on Youtube.. Lol.

He is probably the most popular YouTube COD commentator and he started a Minecraft series, which became very popular.. I know that I only started the game after he suggested it.

Wow... I thought I had too much time on my hands. Holy crap.

Started playing this game a couple weeks ago, it is so addicting and awesome. I thought people were just saying it's great because it's so niche - but it truly is.

[quote name='dallow']Or this...

snip[/QUOTE]

It's a fake unfortunately, the guy imported a model using a tool. Still cool nonetheless.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Just bought it. Still need to figure out the controls. Took me a bit just to figure out how to place a fence.[/QUOTE]

Left click destroy, Right click place, Spacebar jump, # keys to change item.

That's pretty much all there is to it.. Lol.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Just bought it. Still need to figure out the controls. Took me a bit just to figure out how to place a fence.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Phelmo']Left click destroy, Right click place, Spacebar jump, # keys to change item.

That's pretty much all there is to it.. Lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it plays real well with a gamepad too.

[quote name='Halo05']I was in fucking tears the first time I saw that. My fiancee thought I was having a seizure or something.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I was trying so hard to suppress my laughter I was jolting all over the place.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']dude, that 1:1 scale D Type Enterprise is rediculous[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that he used another program to import it, but I'm not sure.

If he didn't then it's ridiculously impressive, if not then it's still impressive that he made the outline in the other program.

[quote name='Phelmo']I'm pretty sure that he used another program to import it, but I'm not sure.

If he didn't then it's ridiculously impressive, if not then it's still impressive that he made the outline in the other program.[/QUOTE]

He did use a program but the impressive part is he made that whole model in Google sketchup to import it. I just wish the guy was more upfront about it.

XMFD, in the process of turning my temporary 5x5 base of operations into a full scale castle, I found out that two tiles underneath my base was an underground river. I even started digging diagonally down for resources, but the river bent right under my base and I ended up digging along the river. I was wondering why I kept hearing water even though the ocean was like 20 cubes away.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']He did use a program but the impressive part is he made that whole model in Google sketchup to import it. I just wish the guy was more upfront about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was pretty sure that he imported it but seeing as I wasn't 100% I didn't want to straight up say that he didn't build it totally legit. But oh well, I still respect him for putting in the amount of detail that he did even if it wasn't done in Minecraft.

yeah, that was rather weird. sounds like a surprise of sorts they're trying to keep people from spreading

I played for a few days. Ran out of things to do. For some time building is fun. But I need objectives.

There's no exploration. Let me clarify that statement. The randomly generated worlds are quite large, but they're devoid of life. At night you can find the 4 various mobs who present no challenge. You can try to find the treasure chests--though there's nothing really in them.

I'm building. Why? Nothing attacks my character. Defensive weapons would need to be implemented. Arbalest, cannons, stakes in ground, etc. Have waves of monsters begin attacking you during night. Ramp up in difficulty as days progress. Many more kinds of monsters. More loot. A leveling system. A challenge.

Kill pigs and eat their meat to heal (cook it to heal more). If you want extra health, you need to make armor from leather or other materials.

[quote name='crzyboy88']Kill pigs and eat their meat to heal (cook it to heal more). If you want extra health, you need to make armor from leather or other materials.[/QUOTE]

I have killed many pigs but dont know how to eat it, I have a furnace is that what I cook it on/in ?

bread's done
Back