- - - - -

[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

#1 MInes51   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

As the title says, I'm not 100% if this is all red boxes, but it sounds like it's either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Either way when they start selling the excess stock like they do for the movies, there probably will be some deals to be had. Just a heads up.

Games out for the 360
Spoiler

Games out for PS3
Spoiler

Games out for Wii
Spoiler

No games currently out for DS or PS2, altough there seems to be plans got them.

Edited by MInes51, 29 October 2010 - 08:43 PM.
Added games available at the redbox

#2 Scorch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   37487 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

http://content.usato...als-across-us/1

more info

#3 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

That's excellent news. I mean sometimes if you're on the fence about buying a game even after playing a demo or if there isn't a demo you can just throw down $2 and find out for sure. And those games that only have 6-8 hours of gameplay you can play through in a day or two and only cost you $2-4.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like my area has them yet but I hope they do soon.

#4 shady859   Big Blue Nation CAGiversary!   7283 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

http://www.redbox.co...=-1&formatId=-1
To search for Redbox games locations near you.

Mine all rent BR and DVD only, i'd totally be down for $2 a night game rentals.

#5 Nesrie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Is there anyway to actually see the games and reserve them like you do the movies yet? I am not seeing it myself? Too bad the closest box to me is not on the list.

#6 davo1224   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3040 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

I think that's more expensive than Blockbuster/HWV even. Certainly more than Gamefly.

#7 Lucian   Officer Friendly CAGiversary!   1490 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

None in my area yet, either, but I would definitely use this at least occasionally.

#8 sgr76   Talk it < Living it CAGiversary!   1087 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Sweet!!! Got a ton of em near me. Gotta go see if i can get MOH for tonight.

Is there anyway to actually see the games and reserve them like you do the movies yet? I am not seeing it myself? Too bad the closest box to me is not on the list.

Online reservation is not available for games. They wont even let u see whats available.

#9 bizarro13  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'll be honest. I don't like going to the 7-11's that have Redboxes outside in my area...it can be scary :(

#10 token2k6   LG FUAD CAGiversary!   4513 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

none in Houston have them..and I'm not sure if this a deal..MSRP is $2, redboxes are like hookers, they are practically on every corner, so if your town has 'em, you've got 'em.

#11 harrymcback   Tippy Toes CAGiversary!   85 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

harrymcback

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

Saw this at a 7-Eleven in Orlando in August when I was at Celebration V. I don't remember much of what was available, but it looked like recent releases (e.g., Super Mario Galaxy 2).

I think this is a better deal because when I have time to play a game it's usually only for about a 24-hour period and then it will be a week or two before I can back into it.

#12 iamme10   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

They have started this in my area. The only games they have right now are NBA 2K11, Enslaved, Fallout New Vegas, and Kane & Lynch 2. I'm hoping for Medal of Honor also.

#13 typical guy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1448 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

typical guy

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

I wonder if they will have expansion disks where it downloads onto the hdd?

#14 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6262 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

They have started this in my area. The only games they have right now are NBA 2K11, Enslaved, Fallout New Vegas, and Kane & Lynch 2. I'm hoping for Medal of Honor also.

Enslaved at 8-10 hours and K&L2 at 3 hours are perfect for a one-day rental.

To take the most advantage of it, you can rent shortly after midnight on day one and it won't be due back until 9pm on day two (45 hours of rental time for $2)

#15 anthonyd46   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   564 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

anthonyd46

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

Enslaved at 8-10 hours and K&L2 at 3 hours are perfect for a one-day rental.

To take the most advantage of it, you can rent shortly after midnight on day one and it won't be due back until 9pm on day two (45 hours of rental time for $2)

K&L 2 only takes 3 hours to beat? wow

#16 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24193 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

I dunno... $2 a night for really short games might be ok but many games take more than 8+ hours to finish. I guess it's good if you have nothing else to do and can finish a game in a single sitting.

#17 jmillion   Gaming is Therapeutic CAGiversary!   881 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

jmillion

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

this is a great idea. $2 a day? if u can even breeze thru a game in two days only $4.

#18 jrhawk42   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   318 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

I think that's more expensive than Blockbuster/HWV even. Certainly more than Gamefly.

Depending on where you live (and how long it takes you to finish games) gamefly is more expensive. For me gamefly had at least an 8 day turn around turning the game in the next day. For me to get 3 games (one at a time plan) I have about 7 days left over to play them (3game X 8days - 31days in a month). I'd add the 2 at a time plan, but for me it always worked out that I'd just get 1 extra game rental per month so I feel that would be skewed.

For the same price as a gamefly subscription you get 8 nights (or 11 nights for the two at a time) worth of game rentals through redbox. Keep in mind this is actual play time in which there was only 7 days w/ gamefly under my shipping conditions. Plus if you're the type that wants to player fewer games, but for a longer time gamefly is a better option. On the other hand redbox only charges what you use. So if you're busy, or they don't have the game you want you aren't charged. Also redbox is on your schedule. So if you only play on the weekend then redbox fits your needs much better than gamefly.

Gamefly only sounds better since you think 31 days of rentals but in reality most of that is spent in shipping.

#19 bizarro13  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

Depending on where you live (and how long it takes you to finish games) gamefly is more expensive. For me gamefly had at least an 8 day turn around turning the game in the next day. For me to get 3 games (one at a time plan) I have about 7 days left over to play them (3game X 8days - 31days in a month). I'd add the 2 at a time plan, but for me it always worked out that I'd just get 1 extra game rental per month so I feel that would be skewed.

For the same price as a gamefly subscription you get 8 nights (or 11 nights for the two at a time) worth of game rentals through redbox. Keep in mind this is actual play time in which there was only 7 days w/ gamefly under my shipping conditions. Plus if you're the type that wants to player fewer games, but for a longer time gamefly is a better option. On the other hand redbox only charges what you use. So if you're busy, or they don't have the game you want you aren't charged. Also redbox is on your schedule. So if you only play on the weekend then redbox fits your needs much better than gamefly.

Gamefly only sounds better since you think 31 days of rentals but in reality most of that is spent in shipping.

I have about a 3 or 4 day turnaround from LA to Seattle area for GF. But I get 4 games out at a time and I can keep them as long as I want. That's infinitely better than $2 a night for me. I'll just use Redbox to try out some new games for a day that I wouldn't get right away from GF

#20 Smokie99   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   180 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Smokie99

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Every Box near me has games! This is great news and solves my addiction/spending problem.

#21 evildeadjedi   RIP DIO \m/ \m/ CAGiversary!   4750 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

evildeadjedi

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

None around me have games yet but, I like this idea!

#22 TeamUnderdog   It's Not a Deal! It's a Steal! CAGiversary!   763 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

TeamUnderdog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

I cant wait to rent Enslaved and Vanquish

#23 ShockandAww   Truth is treason CAGiversary!   7465 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

ShockandAww

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

Sounds like a great idea for shorter games like those mentioned. I personally can't even finish short games within a day or 2 usually but I may just give it a try for $2-$4.

#24 dotpichu   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

dotpichu

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

All the redboxes nearby me have games, definitely gonna check it out. With all the family get-togethers coming up for the holidays, this would probably be useful to rent out some multiplayer games to play.

#25 ATHF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   57 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ive never used Redox but if the ones around here get games ill try it out. I dont like to rush through games but it will help me decide what to buy.

#26 Jackie Chandler   Jamanandayo! CAGiversary!   3197 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Jackie Chandler

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'll definitely be taking advantage of this for shorter single player games. I can really sit down and power play some games, and since I'm thinking of starting some "Let's Play" videos with some friends, this couldn't have come at a better time. Unfortunately, none of the Redboxes near me have them, though. :P I'm looking forward to when they expand this idea, and I signed up to be alerted when it hits my area. For those of you who lucked out and have some close, enjoy it!

#27 dastly75   Resident Squirrel CAGiversary!   3563 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

Pretty much all of them in my area have them but finding one with a game in stock is hit or miss.

#28 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4186 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

It's cheaper to just "rent" a game from Gamestop. Buy used and return within 7 days.

2 dollars a night is bonkers, they are just going to rake in the late fees with this one

#29 MInes51   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

I definitely agree this is not ideally for long stay but if you have some friends coming over or something you can definitely drop two$ for a night of fun. Or just use it to beat real short game at 2$ is a steal. Plus when they start selling the excess stock or the games people are no longer renting like they do for the movies, it'l probably be a sweet deal.

#30 radioactivez0r   Up and Atom! CAGiversary!   3922 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

radioactivez0r

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I could make use of this on Mafia II or K&L2 even for $4, and not feel cheated. Albertson's around the corner has games.