- - - - -

[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

#181 mannysgoldglove  

mannysgoldglove

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:38 AM

Damn, Id like to see some of these in the KC area

#182 Foladar   Forum Guide: Contests/ Free Stuff Forum Moderator   3630 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

....ugh...still no game rb's in tampa. :(

It expands as far as Winter Haven and Auberndale, surprised they haven't expanded further west yet. We've had them in this area since April or May.

#183 Smokin Panda   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   104 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Smokin Panda

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

I've been using Redbox for games for a while now and I really like it. Make sure you find promotional codes online and it will only cost you $1 for a night.

I took someones advice and if I am coming home after midnight I stop and rent a game and get it for 2 nights for $1. I know you can't beat all games in 1-2 nights but if it is a game you are on the fence about or want to try before you waste a possible $60 this is a great option.

I wish they added more games but I know they are playing it safe with only the hot titles.

#184 NEP   Oogaboogabooga CAGiversary!   401 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I live 5 minutes outside of Boston and didn't get any results on the search feature : /

#185 RebelCapitalist   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

RebelCapitalist

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

I used RedBox for Fallout Vegas. Spent about $8 to play the heck out of that game. :)

Love it.

#186 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

I live 5 minutes outside of Boston and didn't get any results on the search feature : /

Is the search thing even up yet? When I last checked it just showed all locations no matter what game you were trying to look up.

#187 MaelstromB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   305 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

MaelstromB

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

Depending on how much you rent games and how many days you keep those said games, you are most likely way better off signing up for a monthly Gamefly subscription than paying $2 a night. I just don't see why people are going so crazy about this new service... Am I missing something here?

#188 mannysgoldglove  

mannysgoldglove

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

Is the search thing even up yet? When I last checked it just showed all locations no matter what game you were trying to look up.

Worked here for me http://www.redbox.com/games

#189 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

Worked here for me http://www.redbox.com/games

Oh, yeah. I must have been thinking of something else because that how it worked before. :rofl:

#190 VideoGamesIzFun   Legalize it CAGiversary!   1022 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

VideoGamesIzFun

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Depending on how much you rent games and how many days you keep those said games, you are most likely way better off signing up for a monthly Gamefly subscription than paying $2 a night. I just don't see why people are going so crazy about this new service... Am I missing something here?

QFT
My brother has gamefly and when he gets a game in for me I usually give him $3 for a week (GF is ~ $2-$2.50 a week)

#191 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

QFT
My brother has gamefly and when he gets a game in for me I usually give him $3 for a week (GF is ~ $2-$2.50 a week)

Gamefly isn't as GREAT a deal as people try to make it out to be, what with their waiting lists for more popular games and the fact that they straddle when they're shipping games out.

#192 MaelstromB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   305 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

MaelstromB

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

Gamefly isn't as GREAT a deal as people try to make it out to be, what with their waiting lists for more popular games and the fact that they straddle when they're shipping games out.

Totally understand your point, but truth is -- money saved is money saved. Gamefly is by no means perfect, but then again, it does offer a service with one flat rate.

And here's something else to think about -- I'm not sure about anyone else here, but with my weekly schedule (working full time, time w/ the gf, friends, etc. etc.), even a 10 hour game can take me well over a week to get through. Meaning, if I were to rent from Redbox and pay full price w/out a coupon ($2 per night), I'm looking at at least $14+ minimum just to get through that 10 hr game.

I'm not saying that Redbox's service is terrible or, by any means, pointless, as I'm sure it works out great for some people, but I am saying personally, I cannot understand how a vast majority of people find the service to be something of a "deal" -- aside from its associated convenience. However, last time I checked, there is also next to no inconvenience having to walk out to my mailbox and shove the envelope in the mail and wait a few days for my next game. In fact, I do it all the time with movies through Netflix's service, and I've never found it to be an issue. Just saying...

Edited by MaelstromB, 20 December 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#193 VaRIABLE SoUL   I Live in Rapture CAGiversary!   762 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

VaRIABLE SoUL

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

I was looking for Spider-Man SD at the Redboxes across from me and they didn't have any.

I did find Goldeneye for the Wii so I rented that instead. It's a pretty fun game. I wish they used Sean Bean for 006 again. This new guy looks/talks like a tool.

#194 MrOldboy   Vengeance 4 Oldboy CAGiversary!   3871 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

anyone know how it works when you return a game, can you rent it again at that exact moment?

That would make it so you can re-rent it with another code.

#195 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

anyone know how it works when you return a game, can you rent it again at that exact moment?

That would make it so you can re-rent it with another code.

I don't think you can re-rent the same copy, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you use a different code you should be able to rent the game again.

#196 Smokin Panda   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   104 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Smokin Panda

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:43 AM

I have re-rented the copy before. Paid $2 for 4 days. Can't beat that but you have to be willing drive to the Redbox to return it.

I love how people compare this to Gamefly. 2 completely services and 1 sucks and the other can be a money pit if you are lazy about returning the games. I had Gamefly and frankly it is a money pit if you think of it. Yoy pay at least 17 a month for maybe a handful of games if that a month that more than likely aren't hit titles are or old already. Shipping time sucks. And don't try and say that Gamefly is all that because to many people that experience the same crap. And I had a Gamefly center 35 mintues to where I live and it still took a week.

I have yet to have a problem finding a game on Redbox although not much a selection but always have a game in stock. Soon enough Redbox will start to offer more.

#197 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:10 AM

Soon enough Redbox will start to offer more.

Heard that before, about a month plus ago....

#198 bigdaddybruce44   Murders & Executions CAGiversary!   13295 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

bigdaddybruce44

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

And don't try and say that Gamefly is all

Using 'hip" lingo from the '90s doesn't help your point much. I love GameFly, by the way.

#199 Kingfalcon   Look at what you did! CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Kingfalcon

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:25 AM

The word you were searching for is "throttle," not straddle.

#200 n1c0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

Tried it for AC : Bros, pretty good deal. Nearly plat it for 4 bucks. I just wish they'd have some sort of online inventory for me to check if the game I want is in instead of always having to try my luck at the machines.

#201 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10530 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Redbox just sent me an email informing me that now you can reserve games online.

Not sure if this has already been going on, but it's the first I've heard of the online reservation.

http://www.redbox.co..._BNc4XCB8ZbfEPa

#202 Wrencrest   Fuck Pharmacrest. What an asshole. CAGiversary!   18984 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

To bad they still dont have games anywhere near me. Seems to be missing FL completely still. Strange since this is one of the largest states, you would think it wouldnt take them so long to get games in here.

#203 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

To bad they still dont have games anywhere near me. Seems to be missing FL completely still. Strange since this is one of the largest states, you would think it wouldnt take them so long to get games in here.

Same with me wondering why they do not just put atleast one in every major city to see how it does then expand.:roll:

#204 Kyle Kross   yohohohoho CAGiversary!   1568 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Kyle Kross

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

Yeah, none here in TN as far as I know. The RedBox's here do have a game category, but when you click on it it says it couldn't find what you were looking for. Honestly, the selection would probably be piss poor if they did have them here anyways. The bluray selection here is godawful.

#205 Wario64  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:36 AM

Redbox just sent me an email informing me that now you can reserve games online.

Not sure if this has already been going on, but it's the first I've heard of the online reservation.

http://www.redbox.co..._BNc4XCB8ZbfEPa

it's been going on for a couple weeks now

#206 DV8   dv8sad CAGiversary!   439 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

My redboxes are always full stocked with games. Sadly the entire redbox library is like 6 games. Great deal though for testing out games. Glad I didn't buy two worlds 2 after renting it. :|

#207 Tardcore   CAG Platinum+ Member CAGiversary!   753 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

The closest one to me within a 20 mile radius only has a Pac-Man game for the Wii. Just one game? That's kind of odd.

#208 TNSmokey98   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   391 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

TNSmokey98

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, none here in TN as far as I know. The RedBox's here do have a game category, but when you click on it it says it couldn't find what you were looking for. Honestly, the selection would probably be piss poor if they did have them here anyways. The bluray selection here is godawful.

Actually I live in knoxville, TN. We have games in every single redbox. Great selection as far as I have seen. There has been PS3-WII-360 games. And pretty much all new releases each time.

#209 Foladar   Forum Guide: Contests/ Free Stuff Forum Moderator   3630 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

They def aren't missing Florida, we've had games in Orlando since May 2010. Seems to go as far west as Kissimmee, at least. Zip code 32801 works, for example or for anyone curious to see what some boxes carry. A local box actually carries up to 12 games some days.

They've allowed online reservations for game (and stock checks) since the early part of this year at least, but I don't usually reserve online so I can use one of my Redbox codes to reduce the night by $1.

They aren't carrying everything either, just recently they've beefed up but for example, they lack something like Bulletstorm (but they do have Killzone 3, MVC3, and Megamind). Once a game is 'too old' it seems they're phased out, since Mafia II is MIA in this region now.

New releases are usually put into the boxes in Orlando on Thursday at the earliest, FWIW. Depends on who stocks your box, though, I would imagine, since you can usually see them slowly populate throughout the weekend.

#210 Wrencrest   Fuck Pharmacrest. What an asshole. CAGiversary!   18984 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

They def aren't missing Florida, we've had games in Orlando since May 2010. Seems to go as far west as Kissimmee, at least. Zip code 32801 works, for example or for anyone curious to see what some boxes carry.

Good to know, I didnt think to look in Orlando. I tried Miami and Tampa and found nothing, so I assumed.