- - - - -

[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

#211 theking20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4693 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

nothing here in Boston but they did put a "video games" tab, but it says "nothing currently available"

Fuck you red box :/

#212 Lucian   Officer Friendly CAGiversary!   1491 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

nothing here in Boston but they did put a "video games" tab, but it says "nothing currently available"

Fuck you red box :/

Okay, if they aren't testing in a large city like Boston, where are they testing?

#213 Indiana   Over 3 decades of gaming! CAGiversary!   3146 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

This is a great idea. Too bad there are no games within 50 miles of Indianapolis. I guess that means it's a pretty limited roll out so far.

#214 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

No Redbox video games near me either, and I'd happily rent Marvel vs. Capcom for a night to check it out. Oh well.

#215 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7600 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, none here in TN as far as I know. The RedBox's here do have a game category, but when you click on it it says it couldn't find what you were looking for. Honestly, the selection would probably be piss poor if they did have them here anyways. The bluray selection here is godawful.

In TN too (nashville area) and wish they would start doing games as well. Agree on your assessment of how crappy the selection is for blu rays. :bomb:

#216 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

I haven't checked into this thread for quite a while, and I see that Redbox is still a fail. Quite simply they just didn't run their gaming set up the way they did movies. Even if they had a small, but slightly larger then current supply of games it would be fine, but its so inconsistant if they will get any games that have come out in the past 2 years or how many they will have.

#217 woodcan   TX Regional CAG VP CAGiversary!   1513 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I've randomly checked a couple of Red Boxes near my house and they've had at most 6 games to choose from and all were old and crap. Also, none were those from the OP.

#218 Kyle Kross   yohohohoho CAGiversary!   1568 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Kyle Kross

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Actually I live in knoxville, TN. We have games in every single redbox. Great selection as far as I have seen. There has been PS3-WII-360 games. And pretty much all new releases each time.

Eh?! Well, that sucks. I'm in Nashville and none of the RedBox's I've gone to have had games. Then again, there's only 3 around me that I know of (one outside a Thorton's, one outside a Walgreens, and one outside a Kroger).

#219 jkanownik   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1441 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Why are people randomly checking Red Boxes in person when you can easily check online? I haven't used it myself, but the availability in LA appears to be pretty good. Black Ops 360 is the only game not available within a few miles.

#220 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

Why are people randomly checking Red Boxes in person when you can easily check online? I haven't used it myself, but the availability in LA appears to be pretty good. Black Ops 360 is the only game not available within a few miles.

I guess you keep walking past the Redbox you are walking past, go home and check online to see if it had any games in it? ;^)

#221 WasabiJoe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   155 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

I have to return the MvC3 I rented from the Irvine, CA redbox sometime today.

#222 Wolfpup   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9966 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

I've never really taken this Redbox stuff seriously, but I'm looking here online, and supposedly they have a fairly huge selection of movies at the one at my Kroger's.

They must really cram the discs in somehow, because there' must be easily a half dozen films I'd be willing to see that I haven't yet. No games at mine though.

I'm almost thinking of renting something from one, just to try it out, though Netflix is a better deal for me and I'd rather support my Family Video too.

#223 nakanenui   O-O CAGiversary!   1855 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

I've never really taken this Redbox stuff seriously, but I'm looking here online, and supposedly they have a fairly huge selection of movies at the one at my Kroger's.

They must really cram the discs in somehow, because there' must be easily a half dozen films I'd be willing to see that I haven't yet. No games at mine though.

I'm almost thinking of renting something from one, just to try it out, though Netflix is a better deal for me and I'd rather support my Family Video too.

they are in paper sleeves right? so they dont take up much room. they are closing up most of the blockbusters in my area, so the only choices in the future will be redbox, netflix, blockbuster online, or mom and pop stores.

#224 AdmrlBalls   Beefcake pantyhose CAGiversary!   388 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

AdmrlBalls

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

they are in paper sleeves right? so they dont take up much room. they are closing up most of the blockbusters in my area, so the only choices in the future will be redbox, netflix, blockbuster online, or mom and pop stores.

They are in thin plastic cases so I'm sure they can store hundreds of discs in one machine. Redbox has overtaken all video stores in my area, it's become so popular that most locations have had to add a second machine to keep up with demand.

All the Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos closed up shop over a year ago, too many other alternatives to rent movies/games nowadays.

Wish Redbox would start getting games in my area though...

#225 Wolfpup   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9966 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Wow, that would suck with local stores closed. I guess there are quite a bit fewer than there used to be here, but there's still at least Family Video and Blockbuster...I guess two instead of three of those though. Don't think any of the Family Video's have closed, in fact there's a brand new one that was built a year or two back.

I kind of feel bad about using Netflix instead of Family Video though... Although the selection of shows probably is much worse.

#226 graf1k   BAM BAM CAGiversary!   2496 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

They are in thin plastic cases so I'm sure they can store hundreds of discs in one machine. Redbox has overtaken all video stores in my area, it's become so popular that most locations have had to add a second machine to keep up with demand.

Yeah, in one shopping center near where I live there are at least SIX Redbox kiosks. 2 at Wal-Mart, 1 at the gas station and 3 at Harris Teeter. No wonder the local Blockbuster is going out of business. Only one seems to have games but I wish they'd up their selection. Plus $2 a night is kind of steep IMO.

#227 bugeeker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   245 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Glad that Redbox is opening up to games; they have the infrastructure in place, no reason not to give it a try.

I also wanted to point out that through GameHuddle.com you can rent for just $1 a day (and just 40c a day after the first 5 days). Plus, part of your money goes to your fellow gamers who have loaned their games to the program (or you can make money sharing your games).

It's by mail, so even if you don't have Redbox w/ games near you you can do it. And there's no monthly fee, you only pay for what you rent.

#228 JoeyLYCAN   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   29 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

$2 a day is too much in my opinion. $1 would be perfect. Gamefly has a 2 day turnaround for me so that works perfecty! Unfortunately I have no video stores around me 2 Hollywood videos 2 blockbuster's, 4 movie gallery's, and 3 family videos closed lol. Literally all I have is redbox, which completely dominated my area.

#229 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Gamefly only makes sense if you rent a lot of games, which I don't. I wish redbox would get their $2 rentals in my area. I'm fine with that pricing though, sure, I'd rather pay $1. :)

#230 classact   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   432 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

none around me, i think 2 is fine as long as your not renting long story based games.

#231 _Ph03n1x_   pew! pew! CAGiversary!   537 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Glad that Redbox is opening up to games; they have the infrastructure in place, no reason not to give it a try.

I also wanted to point out that through GameHuddle.com you can rent for just $1 a day (and just 40c a day after the first 5 days). Plus, part of your money goes to your fellow gamers who have loaned their games to the program (or you can make money sharing your games).

It's by mail, so even if you don't have Redbox w/ games near you you can do it. And there's no monthly fee, you only pay for what you rent.

Woah this site just blew my mind. Is it legit? Has anyone used this site?

#232 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, the only reason I'd rent is in order to try a game out before buying (or not), and for party games for parties. For example, Yoostar 2. I'd like to get that for a party, but I'm not sure I'd want to buy it. I can't see playing that game on my own at all, so renting it every once in a while for a party or other gathering would fit the bill just fine.

That gamehuddle site is intriguing. I might give that a shot.

#233 Thekrakrabbit   Is Making A Comeback! CAGiversary!   4833 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Thekrakrabbit

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Gamehuddle sounds very intriguing indeed, I'm going to check it out further. The grace period is what gets me, considering they would need to seriously delay their shipping to screw you. Gamefly just throttles a bit and you waste days waiting for the game to get there.

#234 TheHelix   CAGiversary! Silenced   2842 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

TheHelix

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

2 bucks a night is basically the same price as BBV, only you don't have to rent it in 5 day blocks, so it's a decent price. I think 24 hours is a good amount of time to evaluate whether a game is worth purchasing, or if it's short like Kane and Lynch 2, should be sufficient to beat within a day or two. Of course, that's also dependent if games are available in the area, and I'm lucky I'm surrounded by Redbox machines with games in a 5 mile radius, which is not the case for number of CAGs here.

#235 kburns10   You Gots to Chill CAGiversary!   1693 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Man I'd love it if the Redboxes near me got video game rentals! I'm dying to try Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions to see if it is good or not.

#236 JDFaulky   Zelda Fanatic CAGiversary!   1490 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

JDFaulky

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

I'm a fan of Redbox and I wish we would get games in ours here in Ohio. Perfect way to try out a game before you buy it!

#237 DV8   dv8sad CAGiversary!   439 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, but there a lot of redbox codes out there that offer $1 off a DVD rental making them free. You can use these codes for games too making the game rental $1 for the first night. It's one code per credit card, but if you have 3 credit/debit cards and there are 3 codes, that's a $9 savings. The codes that immediately come to mind are DVDONME, BREAKROOM, and DVDATWAG (Only at walgreens). There are a few other ones out there and some pop up monthly.

#238 Tropicat   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   178 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Are the "B" Redboxes the ones with games? Looks like there is one in my area but it only has one game.

#239 wild homes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

wild homes

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

One Redbox near me has a game. One game, specifically: Just Dance 2 for the Wii. And it's always there, never checked out. None of the other kiosks in my part of the city seem to have any games. I'm thinking someone just returned it from some Redbox in another part of the country just to mess with me. It's like hope-trolling.

Looking forward to being able to rent some proper games, though.

#240 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4415 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hmm, making money by lending out your games...