* * * * - 12 votes

The CAG Backlog Support Group.

Backlog

#91 Beatles   Cartoon Character CAGiversary!   4349 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

I told my self I can't buy anymore until I beat at least 6 backlog games, but I might buy a game and break my rule noooooooooo

#92 CAiNiAC   ~Baby got Backlog~ CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

I haven't bought a vita because of this

There are some games I want that I'll miss, but it's just not feasible right now. My backlog doesn't need more food to the flame or however the saying goes

Fuel

#93 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

With my limited amount of gaming time, I think I am going to do something I never thought I would do before... I am going to start playing games on Normal or Easy just to get through them. I would love to play through games on higher difficulties, but right now for me it's more about being able to finish as many games as possible. There is a good chance that I will be away from my PS3 and PS4 for the entire summer, but at least that will allow me to tackle some of my PS Vita Backlog. Too many sales. Too many free games.

#94 Beatles   Cartoon Character CAGiversary!   4349 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

With my limited amount of gaming time, I think I am going to do something I never thought I would do before... I am going to start playing games on Normal or Easy just to get through them. I would love to play through games on higher difficulties, but right now for me it's more about being able to finish as many games as possible. There is a good chance that I will be away from my PS3 and PS4 for the entire summer, but at least that will allow me to tackle some of my PS Vita Backlog. Too many sales. Too many free games.

I dont consider the free games in my backlog, so many, I still play on harder difficulties since I like the challenge, for example played my first run of bioshock infinite on 1999 mode without using vending machines.I still really enjoyed the game.

#95 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I dont consider the free games in my backlog, so many, I still play on harder difficulties since I like the challenge, for example played my first run of bioshock infinite on 1999 mode without using vending machines.I still really enjoyed the game.

Yeah it is probably a good idea to not view the free games apart of the backlog, but there are so many that I have gotten from PS+ that I actually was interested in buying. I also try to finish my free ps+ games too, because if I don't, what the hell am I doing paying for PS+ and not taking advantage of the free games.

#96 SJD  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hey guys, I'm also a backlog-holic. I tend to finish games, but then keep adding more and more. I also am a trophy hunter, which makes it easier to accumulate a backlog. I try to pick games that interest me, but sometimes, the new game that came out grabs my attention. From the start of 2014 I've beat about 20 games, which is nice, but my backlog, thanks to Plus too, is about 70+ strong. The more I dent it, the harder it gets. 

I'll keep updating you guys in my progress to be backlog free. 

#97 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hey guys, I'm also a backlog-holic. I tend to finish games, but then keep adding more and more. I also am a trophy hunter, which makes it easier to accumulate a backlog. I try to pick games that interest me, but sometimes, the new game that came out grabs my attention. From the start of 2014 I've beat about 20 games, which is nice, but my backlog, thanks to Plus too, is about 70+ strong. The more I dent it, the harder it gets. 

I'll keep updating you guys in my progress to be backlog free. 

I used to hunt trophies too, but I found that it didn't allow me to finish games and really caused the backlog to pile up. What I did was went to PSN profiles and set a goal for myself to break 20k in the world and 5k in the United States. I think eventually I got to 4500 in the US and 18k-ish in the world and then called it a day. I knew I would never be able to make it to number 1. I am not suggesting that you have to do this, I am just telling you what helped me put aside trophy hunting and focus more on finishing games.

• SJD likes this

#98 SJD  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

I used to hunt trophies too, but I found that it didn't allow me to finish games and really caused the backlog to pile up. What I did was went to PSN profiles and set a goal for myself to break 20k in the world and 5k in the United States. I think eventually I got to 4500 in the US and 18k-ish in the world and then called it a day. I knew I would never be able to make it to number 1. I am not suggesting that you have to do this, I am just telling you what helped me put aside trophy hunting and focus more on finishing games.

I like trophies, since they, in some measure, make me appreciate the game more if I liked the game in the first place. Although, I try not too sync too much time into each game. I ordered FF X/X-2 from Amazon, and that's arriving on the 22. I hope to finish what I'm currently playing, since I know that will consume my time. Also, sometimes, if I liked the game, I replay them. 

To be more specific, I replayed Skyrim 3 times, Fallout 3 3 times and New Vegas 2 times. :bouncy:  I plunked about 200 hours+ in each game. So yeah, that too is an obstacle, hahaha.  :-({|=

#99 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Yeah it is probably a good idea to not view the free games apart of the backlog, but there are so many that I have gotten from PS+ that I actually was interested in buying. I also try to finish my free ps+ games too, because if I don't, what the hell am I doing paying for PS+ and not taking advantage of the free games.

I count the ones I would buy anyway in the backlog. Not the ones I was mixed on and wouldn't have every played anyway.  I don't end up getting to many of those anyway.

With the PS4, PS+ is required for online play so you have that to pay for (if you game online anyway) rather than just the freebies.  Some other stuff too like cloud saves, autodownloading of updates too.  But those aren't worth the money if you play none of the free games and don't game online of course.

As for trophies/achievements--I never really cared about them much.  I'll go after some if I loved a game AND there are some that are fun to get.  But I couldn't careless about my gamerscore or trophy rank or 100% games etc. just for the sake of doing it.

#100 SierraNight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   339 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

SierraNight

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

I might as well jump in this thread as well. Back in High School I did a great job of finishing the games I had 2/3/5/10 times each (SNES days). I could tell you just about everything about FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. Then came college, a job, and too much disposable income. My backlog goes back to PS1 and just snowballs from there. I think working at KB Toys/ Best Buy over the years did not help either. I stopped opening games before playing them about 10 years ago so now I have a bunch of sealed games that it would probably be in my best interest to just sell for a profit and get an open copy to play....but I know I won't. The past year has been particularly bad in building up the backlog b/c I found retro game stores around Phoenix and grabbed a lot of the rare RPGs I was missing. I'd guess my backlog is at about 200 games strong. At least my husband doesn't mind me constantly adding to my collection, and let me dedicate a room in the house to my gaming/workout equipment.

Anyways, with the wonderful Best Buy restructure I was laid off, so I figured I'd use my severance time to not only look for another job but work a bit on the backlog. Currently working on Fable Anniversary on XBox 360, Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals on DS, Final Fantasy X on Vita, and that crazy Last Achievement level 11 Awesomeness on Rayman Legends Xbox One. I also play Xbox Fitness Daily and just got Kinect Sports Rivals. Hoping to have the 3 RPGish games finished in the coming two weeks, but we shall see.

#101 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

I might as well jump in this thread as well. Back in High School I did a great job of finishing the games I had 2/3/5/10 times each (SNES days). I could tell you just about everything about FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. Then came college, a job, and too much disposable income. My backlog goes back to PS1 and just snowballs from there. I think working at KB Toys/ Best Buy over the years did not help either. I stopped opening games before playing them about 10 years ago so now I have a bunch of sealed games that it would probably be in my best interest to just sell for a profit and get an open copy to play....but I know I won't. The past year has been particularly bad in building up the backlog b/c I found retro game stores around Phoenix and grabbed a lot of the rare RPGs I was missing. I'd guess my backlog is at about 200 games strong. At least my husband doesn't mind me constantly adding to my collection, and let me dedicate a room in the house to my gaming/workout equipment.

Anyways, with the wonderful Best Buy restructure I was laid off, so I figured I'd use my severance time to not only look for another job but work a bit on the backlog. Currently working on Fable Anniversary on XBox 360, Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals on DS, Final Fantasy X on Vita, and that crazy Last Achievement level 11 Awesomeness on Rayman Legends Xbox One. I also play Xbox Fitness Daily and just got Kinect Sports Rivals. Hoping to have the 3 RPGish games finished in the coming two weeks, but we shall see.

Well sorry to hear that you were laid off, but welcome to this thread and thanks for being the 100th post! Hopefully you will be able to get through some of your backlog and we are here to help.

#102 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hello all!

I'm glad this thread exists!  My backlog is about 103 thanks to this site!

Moose you hit it right on the head when it comes to breaking the backlog down.  Choosing which game to play next!  Sometimes this gets the best of me and I end up not playing anything.

What's been working for me so far is switching up the play-style/genre.  So if I've just finished a FPS, I'll play a third person game or vice versa.

Recently I've started dividing my time between two games of two different genres but I find that it's difficult.  I was playing Resistance 2 and Asura's Wrath but I found myself sticking to Asura's Wrath and putting Resistance off to the side lol.

I guess what I need help with are these RPGs:

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition

Dragon Age 2

Skyrim Legendary Edition

Fallout 3: Game of the year Edition

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition

The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

Dark Souls

Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Really don't know where to start.

#103 equistina  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

If you start with skyrim you probably won't get to anything else for like a year lol

I have I don't know how many hours into it and am nowhere near completion. But then again I do go exploring and side questing in this game.

I would probably start with Origins, I recently played it and was quite surprised. It was really good :)

#104 raiden_86   Mrgrgr! CAGiversary!   1083 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:36 AM

Man those are some time sink games, great games for sure, but time consuming. You could maybe choose to start with the ones that require the least amount to beat like Deus Ex: Human Revolution then next on your list would be Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen, this way you knock out a couple rpgs quickly and get that making progress feeling. As for the rest, what worked for me was to decide to only play one series, omit a series or play one of each. I decided to play the Fallout series since there is a lot of fantasy and not much post apocalyptic. So I passed on DA series, Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim. I know thats probably not a popular choice, but I just don't have or will have time for those rpgs, especially when I get back into FF XIV and start my Shin Megami backlog and... well you get the picture. Just my .2, hope it helps.

#105 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2124 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

I recently pulled a game off the shelf that had been sitting there for a few years: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

It has to be one of the worst shooters for the last gen (Still haven't tried the greatness of Duke Nukem).  It seriously felt like a late 90"s PC FPS.  Terrible controls, terrible graphics, boring game play..... I didn't even finish the first level before turning it off.

#106 SJD  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

Putting the finishing touches on Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition. Replaying this game on PS4 made me realize how good it truly is. I'm thinking of playing either DmC or Tomb Raider. What do you guys think?

#107 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

If you start with skyrim you probably won't get to anything else for like a year lol

I have I don't know how many hours into it and am nowhere near completion. But then again I do go exploring and side questing in this game.

I would probably start with Origins, I recently played it and was quite surprised. It was really good :)

It's the good people at BioWare the reason why I like RPGs.  I absolutely hated RPGs until KotOR - The best i've played, story wise at least.

Man those are some time sink games, great games for sure, but time consuming. You could maybe choose to start with the ones that require the least amount to beat like Deus Ex: Human Revolution then next on your list would be Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen, this way you knock out a couple rpgs quickly and get that making progress feeling. As for the rest, what worked for me was to decide to only play one series, omit a series or play one of each. I decided to play the Fallout series since there is a lot of fantasy and not much post apocalyptic. So I passed on DA series, Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim. I know thats probably not a popular choice, but I just don't have or will have time for those rpgs, especially when I get back into FF XIV and start my Shin Megami backlog and... well you get the picture. Just my .2, hope it helps.

Indeed - not to mention I'm interested in Ni No Kuni Wrath of The White Witch.  On the up side, I'm glad that I have a backlog.  This will keep me plenty busy until the price drops on Xbox One and PS4.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#108 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

Just finished Batman Arkham Origins. I still have to redo my backlog spread sheet so I can figure out how many hours I have and which games I want to tackle first. I think I am going to play Deadpool next. Shit... I lied...going to finish something on Playstation now (which is obviously not apart of the backlog, but I want to take advantage while I have it.)

#109 SJD  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Finished Dead Nation. DmC or Tomb Raider, guys? 

#110 SierraNight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   339 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

SierraNight

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Finished Dead Nation. DmC or Tomb Raider, guys?

I liked both of those games, but enjoyed tomb raider more. Hell, I played thru both the 360 version and the One version even with my massive backlog. So I guess I'd say Tomb Raider.

#111 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Just finished Asura's Wrath.  What a ride!  If anyone needs a break from hard core gaming i.e. rpgs, memorizing combos, etc, this is definitely the game for you!  

The production values are high.  It plays out like a show reminding me of Dragon Ball Z.  I enjoyed every minute of it!  It is QTE heavy but I don't mind QTEs at all.  Asura reminds me of Kratos just more badass.

#112 equistina  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

It's the good people at BioWare the reason why I like RPGs. I absolutely hated RPGs until KotOR - The best i've played, story wise at least.

Indeed - not to mention I'm interested in Ni No Kuni Wrath of The White Witch. On the up side, I'm glad that I have a backlog. This will keep me plenty busy until the price drops on Xbox One and PS4.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I may sound stupid for saying this, but What is KoTor?

#113 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

#114 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

In my opinion Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox) is the best Star Wars experience out there.  Great gameplay, some of the most memorable characters, better than any of the movies and the story is one of the best in gaming....at least back when I played it.  

Haven't played it since so I don't know how well it holds up today.

If you are thinking about adding it to your collection I'd stay away from any articles, videos, or reviews (If you must just look at the number rating and avoid the article).

#115 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13143 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

KOTOR is one of the best RPG's I ever played and is a great Star Wars experience. I have done a couple playthroughs in the last couple years and I think it holds up fine, certainly worth a pickup.

#116 equistina  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

Thanks all

Will have to look into it (probably not a good idea for my backlog)

#117 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

So I skipped Resistance 2.  Had some cheap enemies that I couldn't tolerate.  Got to one point an I kept dying over, and over, and over so I quit.  And that was on casual!  Also, I felt like they strayed away from the original a little too much.  I could tell they were going for a Call Of Duty meets Halo feel.  While that may be good for new players, it didn't play right after playing RFoM.  I may give it a shot later but my back log is too big to waste time with cheap gameplay.  

So I decided to actually watch the ending to Resistance 2 and started Resistance 3.  Wow!  I've only completed the first few chapters and I must say that to me, it's the best in the series!  It brings back everything good about the first game and enhances it 300 fold!

I've also started Dragon Age Origins.  I believe I made my character older than what he should be.  His father looks and talks like he's younger than my character lol!

#118 SJD  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

So, my Final Fantasy X/X-2 arrived today, and it was scheduled for the 21st. I think my backlog just went to hell.  :-({|=

#119 Beatles   Cartoon Character CAGiversary!   4349 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

So, my Final Fantasy X/X-2 arrived today, and it was scheduled for the 21st. I think my backlog just went to hell. :-({|=

I just bought that as well and it wont be played for months hahahahha

#120 equistina  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Just beat Star Wars Force Unleashed

Shorter than I expected

Not going to jump into the second one, I feel a little burnt out from this genre so going to play Little Big Planet. Never played it, but am excited to see how it goes :)