The CAG Backlog Support Group.

I might as well jump in this thread as well. Back in High School I did a great job of finishing the games I had 2/3/5/10 times each (SNES days). I could tell you just about everything about FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. Then came college, a job, and too much disposable income. My backlog goes back to PS1 and just snowballs from there. I think working at KB Toys/ Best Buy over the years did not help either. I stopped opening games before playing them about 10 years ago so now I have a bunch of sealed games that it would probably be in my best interest to just sell for a profit and get an open copy to play....but I know I won't. The past year has been particularly bad in building up the backlog b/c I found retro game stores around Phoenix and grabbed a lot of the rare RPGs I was missing. I'd guess my backlog is at about 200 games strong. At least my husband doesn't mind me constantly adding to my collection, and let me dedicate a room in the house to my gaming/workout equipment.

Anyways, with the wonderful Best Buy restructure I was laid off, so I figured I'd use my severance time to not only look for another job but work a bit on the backlog. Currently working on Fable Anniversary on XBox 360, Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals on DS, Final Fantasy X on Vita, and that crazy Last Achievement level 11 Awesomeness on Rayman Legends Xbox One. I also play Xbox Fitness Daily and just got Kinect Sports Rivals. Hoping to have the 3 RPGish games finished in the coming two weeks, but we shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might as well jump in this thread as well. Back in High School I did a great job of finishing the games I had 2/3/5/10 times each (SNES days). I could tell you just about everything about FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. Then came college, a job, and too much disposable income. My backlog goes back to PS1 and just snowballs from there. I think working at KB Toys/ Best Buy over the years did not help either. I stopped opening games before playing them about 10 years ago so now I have a bunch of sealed games that it would probably be in my best interest to just sell for a profit and get an open copy to play....but I know I won't. The past year has been particularly bad in building up the backlog b/c I found retro game stores around Phoenix and grabbed a lot of the rare RPGs I was missing. I'd guess my backlog is at about 200 games strong. At least my husband doesn't mind me constantly adding to my collection, and let me dedicate a room in the house to my gaming/workout equipment.

Anyways, with the wonderful Best Buy restructure I was laid off, so I figured I'd use my severance time to not only look for another job but work a bit on the backlog. Currently working on Fable Anniversary on XBox 360, Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals on DS, Final Fantasy X on Vita, and that crazy Last Achievement level 11 Awesomeness on Rayman Legends Xbox One. I also play Xbox Fitness Daily and just got Kinect Sports Rivals. Hoping to have the 3 RPGish games finished in the coming two weeks, but we shall see.
Well sorry to hear that you were laid off, but welcome to this thread and thanks for being the 100th post! Hopefully you will be able to get through some of your backlog and we are here to help.

Hello all!

I'm glad this thread exists!  My backlog is about 103 thanks to this site!

Moose you hit it right on the head when it comes to breaking the backlog down.  Choosing which game to play next!  Sometimes this gets the best of me and I end up not playing anything.

What's been working for me so far is switching up the play-style/genre.  So if I've just finished a FPS, I'll play a third person game or vice versa.

Recently I've started dividing my time between two games of two different genres but I find that it's difficult.  I was playing Resistance 2 and Asura's Wrath but I found myself sticking to Asura's Wrath and putting Resistance off to the side lol.

I guess what I need help with are these RPGs:

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition

Dragon Age 2

Skyrim Legendary Edition

Fallout 3: Game of the year Edition

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition

The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

Dark Souls

Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Really don't know where to start.

If you start with skyrim you probably won't get to anything else for like a year lol

I have I don't know how many hours into it and am nowhere near completion. But then again I do go exploring and side questing in this game.

I would probably start with Origins, I recently played it and was quite surprised. It was really good :)

Man those are some time sink games, great games for sure, but time consuming. You could maybe choose to start with the ones that require the least amount to beat like Deus Ex: Human Revolution then next on your list would be Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen, this way you knock out a couple rpgs quickly and get that making progress feeling. As for the rest, what worked for me was to decide to only play one series, omit a series or play one of each. I decided to play the Fallout series since there is a lot of fantasy and not much post apocalyptic. So I passed on DA series, Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim. I know thats probably not a popular choice, but I just don't have or will have time for those rpgs, especially when I get back into FF XIV and start my Shin Megami backlog and... well you get the picture. Just my .2, hope it helps.

I recently pulled a game off the shelf that had been sitting there for a few years: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

It has to be one of the worst shooters for the last gen (Still haven't tried the greatness of Duke Nukem).  It seriously felt like a late 90"s PC FPS.  Terrible controls, terrible graphics, boring game play..... I didn't even finish the first level before turning it off.

Putting the finishing touches on Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition. Replaying this game on PS4 made me realize how good it truly is. I'm thinking of playing either DmC or Tomb Raider. What do you guys think?

If you start with skyrim you probably won't get to anything else for like a year lol

I have I don't know how many hours into it and am nowhere near completion. But then again I do go exploring and side questing in this game.

I would probably start with Origins, I recently played it and was quite surprised. It was really good :)
It's the good people at BioWare the reason why I like RPGs. I absolutely hated RPGs until KotOR - The best i've played, story wise at least.

Man those are some time sink games, great games for sure, but time consuming. You could maybe choose to start with the ones that require the least amount to beat like Deus Ex: Human Revolution then next on your list would be Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen, this way you knock out a couple rpgs quickly and get that making progress feeling. As for the rest, what worked for me was to decide to only play one series, omit a series or play one of each. I decided to play the Fallout series since there is a lot of fantasy and not much post apocalyptic. So I passed on DA series, Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim. I know thats probably not a popular choice, but I just don't have or will have time for those rpgs, especially when I get back into FF XIV and start my Shin Megami backlog and... well you get the picture. Just my .2, hope it helps.
Indeed - not to mention I'm interested in Ni No Kuni Wrath of The White Witch. On the up side, I'm glad that I have a backlog. This will keep me plenty busy until the price drops on Xbox One and PS4.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just finished Batman Arkham Origins. I still have to redo my backlog spread sheet so I can figure out how many hours I have and which games I want to tackle first. I think I am going to play Deadpool next. Shit... I lied...going to finish something on Playstation now (which is obviously not apart of the backlog, but I want to take advantage while I have it.)

Just finished Asura's Wrath.  What a ride!  If anyone needs a break from hard core gaming i.e. rpgs, memorizing combos, etc, this is definitely the game for you!  

The production values are high.  It plays out like a show reminding me of Dragon Ball Z.  I enjoyed every minute of it!  It is QTE heavy but I don't mind QTEs at all.  Asura reminds me of Kratos just more badass.

It's the good people at BioWare the reason why I like RPGs. I absolutely hated RPGs until KotOR - The best i've played, story wise at least.

Indeed - not to mention I'm interested in Ni No Kuni Wrath of The White Witch. On the up side, I'm glad that I have a backlog. This will keep me plenty busy until the price drops on Xbox One and PS4.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I may sound stupid for saying this, but What is KoTor?

I may sound stupid for saying this, but What is KoTor?
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
In my opinion Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox) is the best Star Wars experience out there. Great gameplay, some of the most memorable characters, better than any of the movies and the story is one of the best in gaming....at least back when I played it.

Haven't played it since so I don't know how well it holds up today.

If you are thinking about adding it to your collection I'd stay away from any articles, videos, or reviews (If you must just look at the number rating and avoid the article).

KOTOR is one of the best RPG's I ever played and is a great Star Wars experience. I have done a couple playthroughs in the last couple years and I think it holds up fine, certainly worth a pickup.

So I skipped Resistance 2.  Had some cheap enemies that I couldn't tolerate.  Got to one point an I kept dying over, and over, and over so I quit.  And that was on casual!  Also, I felt like they strayed away from the original a little too much.  I could tell they were going for a Call Of Duty meets Halo feel.  While that may be good for new players, it didn't play right after playing RFoM.  I may give it a shot later but my back log is too big to waste time with cheap gameplay.  

So I decided to actually watch the ending to Resistance 2 and started Resistance 3.  Wow!  I've only completed the first few chapters and I must say that to me, it's the best in the series!  It brings back everything good about the first game and enhances it 300 fold!

I've also started Dragon Age Origins.  I believe I made my character older than what he should be.  His father looks and talks like he's younger than my character lol!

So, my Final Fantasy X/X-2 arrived today, and it was scheduled for the 21st. I think my backlog just went to hell.  :-({|=

Just beat Star Wars Force Unleashed

Shorter than I expected

Not going to jump into the second one, I feel a little burnt out from this genre so going to play Little Big Planet. Never played it, but am excited to see how it goes :)

currently working on:

:360:

Lego LOTR

Mass Effect 3 Insanity playthrough

:Wii: 

Super Mario Galaxy (havent played it in like 5 years)

:Wii U:

New Super Mario Bros U

:xb1:

Forza 5

Titanfall

Just beat Star Wars Force Unleashed

Shorter than I expected

Not going to jump into the second one, I feel a little burnt out from this genre so going to play Little Big Planet. Never played it, but am excited to see how it goes :)
Star Wars The Force Unleashed was fun but I can never see myself playing it again. I would like to try out part 2 one of these days even though a lot of reviews say that it's more of the same.

Little Big Planet was, for me, a very comfortable, charming game. It's about the only game that my wife actually sat down to watch me play, lol. I never finished it though.

Hope it goes well for you.

I have just dug deeper into the hole because of this site! This past week I have purchased about 9 games from Best Buy's buy 2 get 1 free sale. I also purchased Dark Souls 2 and I haven't even beaten one yet.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed was fun but I can never see myself playing it again. I would like to try out part 2 one of these days even though a lot of reviews say that it's more of the same.

Little Big Planet was, for me, a very comfortable, charming game. It's about the only game that my wife actually sat down to watch me play, lol. I never finished it though.

Hope it goes well for you.

I have just dug deeper into the hole because of this site! This past week I have purchased about 9 games from Best Buy's buy 2 get 1 free sale. I also purchased Dark Souls 2 and I haven't even beaten one yet.
I had bought Unleashed 1 and 2 in an attempt to see if I could get my hubby into gaming, but it worked for all of two seconds. Luckily I did buy it though as I did enjoy it, but I know if I jump straight into 2 I will not enjoy it.

So far I like little big planet, it's cute and it's not cute in a bad way. The only thing I am worried about so far though is that one level had a two player quest thing, and I have no second player so hoping that this doesn't prevent me from finishing the game later on.

I've bought so many games thanks to this site, I've been hiding them from the hubby as he doesn't understand my backlog :shh:

Eh, it happens. I'm also deeper in the hole. This week alone Conception II, Alan Wake, Zoo Tycoon XBox One edition, Demon Gaze Limited Edition, and A Witch's Tale (game I've been looking for forever) arrived. Conception II for the limited CD, Alan Wake and Zoo Tycoon from Expert Zone so they were super cheap, and the other two just because.

I have made a good dent in FFX, and I also downloaded Deadlight from Games with Gold and probably have an hour or so left in that. Deadlight started out very good IMO, but about the time of the sewers it started to become more annoying than fun. Trial and error death is not my idea of a good time, but it's a short enough game I may as well finish it.

I finished up Tearaway, got caught up on the Wolf Among Us and started up P4G.

So still making a good dent in my backlog. I now have no unplayed physical games (and just P4G in progress). I'll probably buy MLB The Show 2014 for PS4 when it's out though. Otherwise, just chipping away at PS+ games on PS3 primarily until the big PS4 release start hitting this fall.

I had bought Unleashed 1 and 2 in an attempt to see if I could get my hubby into gaming, but it worked for all of two seconds. Luckily I did buy it though as I did enjoy it, but I know if I jump straight into 2 I will not enjoy it.

So far I like little big planet, it's cute and it's not cute in a bad way. The only thing I am worried about so far though is that one level had a two player quest thing, and I have no second player so hoping that this doesn't prevent me from finishing the game later on.

I've bought so many games thanks to this site, I've been hiding them from the hubby as he doesn't understand my backlog :shh:
YES! Haha! I've been blending them in with the dvds and blurays. I might have to throw away some cases and blend some in the CD case although I would hate to do so.

My only defense is-

"Yeah these games are like $59.99 each! You're not going to believe how much I got them for?"

add

"10 buck!"

"5 bucks!"

"Free from the BestBuy reward points!"

"Free by trading in old games!"

"Free! I sold some old games!"

then

"That's a good deal, amirite!?"

Eh, it happens. I'm also deeper in the hole. This week alone Conception II, Alan Wake, Zoo Tycoon XBox One edition, Demon Gaze Limited Edition, and A Witch's Tale (game I've been looking for forever) arrived. Conception II for the limited CD, Alan Wake and Zoo Tycoon from Expert Zone so they were super cheap, and the other two just because.

I have made a good dent in FFX, and I also downloaded Deadlight from Games with Gold and probably have an hour or so left in that. Deadlight started out very good IMO, but about the time of the sewers it started to become more annoying than fun. Trial and error death is not my idea of a good time, but it's a short enough game I may as well finish it.
I'll be jumping into Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy XIII. It's one of the games I've purchased this week.

Not good for Deadlight. I actually paid for it when it was on sale in December.

YES! Haha! I've been blending them in with the dvds and blurays. I might have to throw away some cases and blend some in the CD case although I would hate to do so.

My only defense is-

"Yeah these games are like $59.99 each! You're not going to believe how much I got them for?"

add

"10 buck!"
"5 bucks!"
"Free from the BestBuy reward points!"
"Free by trading in old games!"
"Free! I sold some old games!"

then

"That's a good deal, amirite!?"

I'll be jumping into Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy XIII. It's one of the games I've purchased this week.

Not good for Deadlight. I actually paid for it when it was on sale in December.
I get most of mine for free now, but he just sees it as I should have got other things with my free giftcards :(

I've been hiding games behind games and throwing away cases isn't an option as my games are my legacy to my children when I'm dead (only when I'm dead can they take my games! lol)

Btw, FF13 installment (incl. ff13-2 and lightening returns) is the worst of the final fantasy series, please do not give up on the franchise because of it. My personal ff favorites are 9 and 10

I get most of mine for free now, but he just sees it as I should have got other things with my free giftcards :(

I've been hiding games behind games and throwing away cases isn't an option as my games are my legacy to my children when I'm dead (only when I'm dead can they take my games! lol)

Btw, FF13 installment (incl. ff13-2 and lightening returns) is the worst of the final fantasy series, please do not give up on the franchise because of it. My personal ff favorites are 9 and 10
I liked FFXIII and FFXIII-2 I havent played lightning returns waiting for a good sale :)

I finished Madden NFL 11, but that was indulging the trophy hunter in me. Also did a marathon session of The Wolf Among Us with the girlfriend, episodes 2 and 3. Very enjoyable and they got to the point where you truly see the struggle Bigby has between being good and being his old self. 

I believe that the narrative of The Wolf Among Us is the strongest (for now) between that and both seasons of The Walking Dead(which may change). Playing some Mercenary Kings on PS4 and Final Fantasy X HD on PS3. Mercenary Kings is a game which I've grown to like, but in short sessions. Still haven't hit the stride in FF X HD, but I know it's a slow starter. 

I can cross Fallout New Vegas off my list. Really enjoyed it, sad thing is instead of going through the rest of my backlog, I Feel like playing this, and fallout 3 again; as evil as possible...and in the case of New Vegas, different faction

Looking to knock some quick games off the PS3 backlog, anyone have some suggestions?

Right now eyeballing:

Warhammer 40K Space Marine

Apache

Dead Island Riptide

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Splatterhouse

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Fight Night Round 4

Any other suggestions would be welcome, I'm sure I have most games for the system dating back 2012.

Looking to knock some quick games off the PS3 backlog, anyone have some suggestions?

Right now eyeballing:

Warhammer 40K Space Marine

Apache

Dead Island Riptide

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Splatterhouse

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Fight Night Round 4

Any other suggestions would be welcome, I'm sure I have most games for the system dating back 2012.
Go for Arkham Asylum. Rocksteady nailed the series with that game in their first try.

I feel great about this one. Just completed Persona 4: The Golden and managed to watch all the endings except for the accomplice ending. Next up on the list is Killzone: Mercenary or Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I feel great about this one. Just completed Persona 4: The Golden and managed to watch all the endings except for the accomplice ending. Next up on the list is Killzone: Mercenary or Fire Emblem: Awakening.
I'd love to play Fire Emblem Awakening. That series was my crack on the GBA days. Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

If you're taking votes, I vote for Awakening.

Started

If you're taking votes, I vote for Awakening.
Started Awakening but then noticed I already had a few Killzone levels completed on the Vita. The the sake of backlog completion I'm going to beat Killzone and then hump right back into Awakening. It's been a very intense year so far between work and school, portable gaming has really held me over to relax when I'm not reading to do so.

Thanks for the advice!

From what I've heard and read most people who are familiar with Final Fantasy don't like XIII while most people who never tried it do. I am still willing to try 9 and 10 though just to compare and contrast. There's some more from the backlog. :p

Right now I'm trudging away in Mercenary Kings and Final Fantasy X HD. Doing some trophy clean up on the side in Killzone Shadowfall.

Haven't been able to get a good session of FF X HD, but the heavy exposition in the first few hours of the game reminds me how much games have been streamlined for consumption these days. Mercenary Kings is an enjoyable romp, but gets tedious after a while. 

I crossed a few things off my backlog due to trying and not liking some stuff--The Unfinished Swan, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, and Rain. I also tired out Puppeteer and was pretty mixed on that and not sure I'll bother with it much more.

I'm mainly playing P4G on Vita right now, and a little Dead Nation on PS4 (not sure I'll finish it either). Will be getting The Show 2014 on PS4 in a couple weeks.

PS3 backlog is mostly stagnant, but really only a couple things like Deus Ex: HR that I still really want to give a chance on there. Otherwise I'm mostly keeping it to finish out the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seasons. Kind of wish I'd just have waited for those to come to PS4 or Vita.

I crossed a few things off my backlog due to trying and not liking some stuff--The Unfinished Swan, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, and Rain. I also tired out Puppeteer and was pretty mixed on that and not sure I'll bother with it much more.

I'm mainly playing P4G on Vita right now, and a little Dead Nation on PS4 (not sure I'll finish it either). Will be getting The Show 2014 on PS4 in a couple weeks.

PS3 backlog is mostly stagnant, but really only a couple things like Deus Ex: HR that I still really want to give a chance on there. Otherwise I'm mostly keeping it to finish out the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seasons. Kind of wish I'd just have waited for those to come to PS4 or Vita.
I have a sizable PS3 backlog, so I believe that'll I finish the PS4 games and the smash my PS3 backlog this summer. After that, I'll retire the consoles after The Wolf Among US and The Walking Dead S2 release their last episodes.

I have a sizable PS3 backlog, so I believe that'll I finish the PS4 games and the smash my PS3 backlog this summer. After that, I'll retire the consoles after The Wolf Among US and The Walking Dead S2 release their last episodes.
That's pretty much been my plan. Chip away at PS3 backlog while focusing on the PS4 games I want to play first--as I want to keep up with them and avoid having a big PS4 backlog.

I'm just further through my PS3 backlog (it wasn't huge to being with, probably 10-15 games this time last year). So it's just a 2-4 things to play/check out still, and otherwise just waiting for those seasons to wrap up to pass the PS3 on to a friend.

3DS backlog is pretty much done (just some VC games I'll probably never play) and it may get ditched if they don't have some major announcements at E3 that interest me. Vita is just P4G as far as purchased games go, and some PS+ stuff that's mostly smaller/shorter indie games I want to check out.

So I'm feeling pretty good to be mostly out from under a backlog.

That's pretty much been my plan. Chip away at PS3 backlog while focusing on the PS4 games I want to play first--as I want to keep up with them and avoid having a big PS4 backlog.

I'm just further through my PS3 backlog (it wasn't huge to being with, probably 10-15 games this time last year). So it's just a 2-4 things to play/check out still, and otherwise just waiting for those seasons to wrap up to pass the PS3 on to a friend.

3DS backlog is pretty much done (just some VC games I'll probably never play) and it may get ditched if they don't have some major announcements at E3 that interest me. Vita is just P4G as far as purchased games go, and some PS+ stuff that's mostly smaller/shorter indie games I want to check out.

So I'm feeling pretty good to be mostly out from under a backlog.
I hope that I come out of summer without a backlog. The PS3 backlog is pretty high, and I just have there the games I want to play. On PS4, it basically winds down to very few games, but I think I'm picking up Watch Dogs, so yeah, another one.

Thanks for the advice!

From what I've heard and read most people who are familiar with Final Fantasy don't like XIII while most people who never tried it do. I am still willing to try 9 and 10 though just to compare and contrast. There's some more from the backlog. :p
Ya, I didn't hate it per say, it was just so different from what I've grown up with that I didn't love it.

12 is one that not everyone likes either, starts off sort if slow, but it's good from what I've played. Haven't beaten it yet so wouldn't know about the whole game.

On another note, I picked up Magical World today. My daughter loves it, she's too small to play (3 months), but she's been talking to the disney characters so looks like I'll be playing this for awhile. This is a must if you have kids in my opinion, if anyone is looking for something to get their kids into gaming.

I was just wondering out of curiosity, what does everyone do for a living on here? I am currently going to school and work full time. In the little time I get to play I usually relieve some of the. Overwhelming stress. Thus is partly why I mainly play on portable systems right now. Should be graduating this fall if all continues to go well.

I was just wondering out of curiosity, what does everyone do for a living on here? I am currently going to school and work full time. In the little time I get to play I usually relieve some of the. Overwhelming stress. Thus is partly why I mainly play on portable systems right now. Should be graduating this fall if all continues to go well.
I'm on the other side of that--college professor at a research university. I'm around a year and a half from going up for tenure and promotion, so I'm at the most stressful time of the "publish or perish" game. Hence why I probably post on gaming forums more than I play games a lot of the time since I'm stuck to a computer analyzing data and writing up articles all the time (on top of the teaching and service/administrative work we have to do that doesn't help us get promoted/tenured) and need short breaks here and there. :D

[quote name="dmaul1114" post="11707645" timestamp="1398204987"]I'm on the other side of that--college professor at a research university. I'm around a year and a half from going up for tenure and promotion, so I'm at the most stressful time of the "publish or perish" game. Hence why I probably post on gaming forums more than I play games a lot of the time since I'm stuck to a computer analyzing data and writing up articles all the time (on top of the teaching and service/administrative work we have to do that doesn't help us get promoted/tenured) and need short breaks here and there. :D[/quote] wow I've toyed with the idea of going into academia. I'm a sociology/geography double major who switched his major from computer engineering. Currently just trying to find my way and how to piece it all together. Like I mentioned I'm currently employed with a decent wage and I rank top 10% in my school, just need to develop a good strategy. I also come on here between breaks although it's mostly to browser.

Going to school part time and work full time. Married with little kids. No man cave or get-a-way area in my home which means I only play games when the family is sleep or kids are asleep and wife is at work and that's only if I'm not too tired to play.

To follow up/add to the question I'm wondering about how many hours do you all spend on average a week playing games? I average about 8 hours of playtime a week for now.

Im a car salesperson for a Toyota dealership

Please don't hurt me I promise I'm not scum.

I'm on maternity leave right now though so I guess technically I'm stay at home mommy right now til I go back to work.

bread's done
Back