The CAG Backlog Support Group.

Please no one feel too bad. This week I beat zero games........but I found a retro game store I'd never been to before.....and I got my severance package from Best Buy......

10 games later.....

And Drakengard 3 is on the way......

I fail this thead.

I fail this thead.
It's super hard to take on a backlog, but it is nice to see how people have responded and actually encouraged others to keep chipping away. A good piece of advice that helps me with my backlog is to start knocking out some of the shorter games you have. I also delete all the games I finish from my Playstation just so I know I beat them. Right now I am playing Hamster Ball and this game shouldn't take me more than 2 hours to complete. I finished Malicious earlier today and over the weekend I finished Outlast, Streets of Rage 2, Altered Beast and the Simpsons Arcade game. Outlast was a good 6 hours but the rest took no more than an hour and half and I was able to scratch off a decent little chunk of the backlog.

Edit:
Finished Hamster Ball. Fun little 2 hour game.

Just finished Papo & Yo. It wasn't apart of my backlog but I have been trying to take advantage of the Playstation Now Beta. Overall pretty good game, gets a little frustrating at the end, but well worth the 3-4 hours it takes.

I also purchased Transistor today and plan on finishing it today / tomorrow.

5/24/2014 Update
Finished Death Spank: Thongs of Virtue. Overall good game, really long but happy to finish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, got thru Asura's Wrath, including the real ending DLC. Enjoyable game, but I can't imagine replaying the stages enough to get all the achievements. The story reminded me of God of War meets Dragon Ball Z.

Also, I did not buy any games this week. A small victory. Haha. Next I'm buckling down on Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals and Assassins Creed IV. Hope to have one of them completed this week.

Well, got thru Asura's Wrath
Asura's Wrath is a game I have always wanted to play, but haven't been able to pick it up. I am leaving tomorrow for 5 weeks for school (which I know I mentioned before) and will be taking my Vita. I downloaded Dragon Fantasy Book II and God of War I and II. My priority is school, but I wouldn't be upset if I finished one of those games :).

Finished Final Fantasy X.  Started on PS2 but having it on Vita is so much easier.  Now I need to decide if I want to finish Mario and Luigi or just move on to Zelda or Bravely Default.

I fear Watch Dogs might interfere with my backlog. I've heard about it for months but figured it was just some dumb new FPS that was being hyped as the latest greatest thing. Watched Conan's Clueless Gamer review and was pleasantly surprised to find out it's anything but that. I haven't bought anything in awhile so I think I might stay up and visit Wal-Mart tonight since I'm off to get it.

So I too like most of you have a backlog, not because I want one but well ya know CAG is the devil. I've actually taken a few steps already to dwindle down the old backlog. I want to play every game I want to, but have realized I just don't have the time. This gen I'm going to try like hell to stick with 1 system. I got a PS4 (all hail PS+!). My current backlog on the PS4 is ACIV. I'm going to try to literally play 1 game at a time, hopefully there won't be any amazing sales! I've pretty much gone digital at this point, I'm trying to finish up my physical backlog of games. I'm sitting on only about 17 or so (a handful that I've finished and will keep for the foreseeable future).

The real backlog problem lies on the 360 and PS3 in the form of digital games. I'm probably around 80 or so not including PS+ stuff. Mind you some of these are PSN or Arcade games that are quick games so it's not all doom and gloom.

I'm really good about finishing what I start so no worries there. If anything I may need to learn to dump a game if I'm really not having fun with it. The Vita is my savior as I get to play just about everything on it so I just grab whatever I want and so far I've finished about 24 vita games since launch and my backlog is minimal.

I've also learned to just play what you want to play. This helped me play and finish games like The Last Of Us, Uncharted 1&2, Infamous so on and so forth.

Next game on my list: Heavy Rain

So I too like most of you have a backlog, not because I want one but well ya know CAG is the devil. I've actually taken a few steps already to dwindle down the old backlog. I want to play every game I want to, but have realized I just don't have the time. This gen I'm going to try like hell to stick with 1 system. I got a PS4 (all hail PS+!). My current backlog on the PS4 is ACIV. I'm going to try to literally play 1 game at a time, hopefully there won't be any amazing sales! I've pretty much gone digital at this point, I'm trying to finish up my physical backlog of games. I'm sitting on only about 17 or so (a handful that I've finished and will keep for the foreseeable future).
That's my goal/strategy as well as we've discussed before. :D

I'm doing mostly well. I did briefly have both a Wii U and PS4, but sold of the Wii U. Will not rebuy that nor ever get an X1.

I've done a good job of sticking with 1 game at time so far--all I've bought so far is Infamous (beat and sold), MLB The Show (won the World Series in my season, haven't touched since but keeping to try out RTTS mode) and Watch Dogs (currently playing). Digitally I bought and finished Child of Light and Transistor.

I do have a 3DS and Vita too, but not real backlog there since I don't count PS+ freebies unless they were games that were must buys I happened to get for free (and I've finished all those on PS3 and Vita). Vita I'm chipping away at P4G which is my only physical game, and 3DS has had nothing I've wanted top play since finishing Pokemon Y so I own no physical games for it (and will ditch it if some stuff I want to play isn't announced at E3--like a new Metroid).

PS3 I'm like you, just digital stuff and pretty much just PS+ games. I've mostly written those off and am just keeping the PS3 to finish up the current Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seasons. There are a couple games like Ico HD and Deus Ex: HR I'd like to get to--but not at the expense at getting behind on PS4 releases as I really want to keep up with my personal must plays there this gen.

I'm just wondering how others would categorize a game to be in one's backlog.

If I have started a game (ie gotten to point where I saved), it's considered backlogged until main game is beaten.

If I have opened a game but have never removed from case or read manual, it's just a brand new open copy of said game that I'll get to eventually.

If I have bought a game but it's not opened well it's either trade fodder, too cheap to pass up, I-need-to-beat-all/other-games-in-series-first, or an awesome piece for the collection.

As for digital versions, as long as I have "purchased" it (ie shows up in some account history - doesn't matter if not downloaded), it's backlogged until main game is beaten.

I try to keep it simple. The only games I would not consider backlog are games I've completed and/or games I'm currently playing, no matter the condition of the game.

I try to keep it simple. The only games I would not consider backlog are games I've completed and/or games I'm currently playing, no matter the condition of the game.
I think it's also alright to just drop games, especially if they're physical. There's no reason to punish yourself and play through the whole game. Of course for those who aren't strong-willed that may be a bad idea as you might start dropping good games just to make room for more.

I'm just wondering how others would categorize a game to be in one's backlog.

If I have started a game (ie gotten to point where I saved), it's considered backlogged until main game is beaten.

If I have opened a game but have never removed from case or read manual, it's just a brand new open copy of said game that I'll get to eventually.

If I have bought a game but it's not opened well it's either trade fodder, too cheap to pass up, I-need-to-beat-all/other-games-in-series-first, or an awesome piece for the collection.

As for digital versions, as long as I have "purchased" it (ie shows up in some account history - doesn't matter if not downloaded), it's backlogged until main game is beaten.
I count a backlog as anything that I have not beaten the main story of that isnt an arcade/sports game (ie UNO, NHL, MLB The Show).

As far as my own backlog, I knocked off 2 games last week. Beat Wolfenstein on PS4 and Lego Batman 2 on 360. Now I'm going through Watch Dogs on PS4, Uncharted 2 on PS3, and about to start Assassins Creed 3 on 360.

In terms of what's left on the backlog there isnt that much at all. 360 has just a few games and some DLC (Dragonborn for Skyrim, Borderlands 2 DLC and a few XBLA games). PS3 is the big offender with Infamous 2 and a lot of PS+ titles. PS4 only has Watch Dogs (which I'm playing through now) and Lego Marvel (beat on 360 but been wanting the PS4 version so I ordered it today on Gamefly's sale) and the PS+ games. Xbox One doesnt have any right now as I've only owned Titanfall and Forza on it. And lastly Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii and Super Mario 3D World on Wii U.

I think it's also alright to just drop games, especially if they're physical. There's no reason to punish yourself and play through the whole game. Of course for those who aren't strong-willed that may be a bad idea as you might start dropping good games just to make room for more.
I agree, however while there are a couple of games I'm glad I dropped (Dead Rising)there is one game that, now, I wish I hadn't dropped - Silent Hill 2. I've heard a lot of people say it has one of the best, if not the best, video game endings of all time. Yet the gameplay and atmosphere was so depressing, I didn't want to waste my time drudging through it. I decided to spoil myself and watched one of the endings on YouTube. Definitely a good ending but I can't help but think it would have made a much greater impact had I chosen to stick it out.

Next time I'm seriously considering dropping a game, I'm coming here to this thread for more insight as to drop or not.

Just finished Knytt Underground on the PS Vita and loved Chapter 1, 2 and the interlude, but chapter 3 ruins the game for me. I had to use a step by step walkthrough to finish the game and honestly don't think I would have ever finished the game if it wasn't for a walkthrough. It is very confusing and has a lot of hidden paths that are hard to see. 1 game down, another million to go.

Just finished Knytt Underground on the PS Vita and loved Chapter 1, 2 and the interlude, but chapter 3 ruins the game for me. I had to use a step by step walkthrough to finish the game and honestly don't think I would have ever finished the game if it wasn't for a walkthrough. It is very confusing and has a lot of hidden paths that are hard to see. 1 game down, another million to go.
I've played it but it didn't do anything for me. Glad you liked it though, if only some of it.

I just "finished" SunFlowers on the Vita and I am trying to figure out what to play next. I think I want to start Dragon Book Fantasy II, but I may give Lone Survivor one more chance.

I really hate in games where the next thing you have to do, that you can't, is find the next place to go. If it makes sense for the game fine but if it's just BS then that sucks.

After really churning through my back log I broke with the current Target price match deals and ended up picking up cheap copies of AC IV Black Flag and Rayman Legends. To add to it all I came across Skyrim Legendary Edition at Best Buy for $12 lol

My backlog is thinning out. Currently playing Infamous: Second Son, Puppeteer & Mario Golf World Tour when I'm being lazy around the house or work. After that I have these to choose from.

Binary Domain

DmC

Heavenly Sword

Farcry 3: Blood Dragon

My backlog is thinning out. Currently playing Infamous: Second Son, Puppeteer & Mario Golf World Tour when I'm being lazy around the house or work. After that I have these to choose from.

Binary Domain

DmC

Heavenly Sword

Farcry 3: Blood Dragon
Heavenly Sword is a game you can start and finish before lunch tomorrow.

Do you guys go back to last gen backlogs or forget about 'em?
I mostly wrote my PS3 backlog off to focus on keeping up with PS4 releases and not having a backlog this gen. It's mostly PS+ freebies at this point.

I've been playing some lately though as there's nothing out on PS4 I want to play enough to buy for current going prices at the moment.

I played a good chunk of Deus Ex: HR before getting annoyed (I don't much like stealth stuff). Now I'm playing LittleBigPlanet 2.

I got through about 80% of Watch Dogs before taking advantage of BB's $45 trade in for it.  Gonna rent a copy from GS to finish out the story.  Havent made much progress in other games due to work.

I need to request a little assistance from this thread. I want to do a fresh run of Borderlands 1-2 + All the DLC on 360. I have previously beaten those games on other systems and had credit to burn on live. I have however played none of the for Borderlands 2, so i might want to absorb that a little bit.

I am not asking for a 100% run, what i just want to get it done in a few days.

I don't mind being the support class, but i would prefer to be brick and kreig.

Fine Print: People that like fruit in their cereal, the third movie in the matrix/spiderman/x-men series, people that put limiters in lambs, actual faeries, clowns (You do nothing for society), haters of nutella, mandroids, if you are hugh jackman, jefferson starships, people that enjoy licorice, ANYONE THAT ACTUALLY FREAKING OPENED THE BOOK OF THE DEAD need not apply.

Hello everybody. I've decided to join the backlog group.

I got an Xbox One at launch and can get a PS4 now but think I'll hold off until next year while I play the XB1 games I have. The good news is I've beaten all the XB1 games I own except Max which I just got free as part of Games with Gold and I'm working on it. My goal is to not have a backlog for the new systems. So far so good.

Upgrading to the latest generation has put things in perspective. I've traded a lot of games in these past 9 months or so as I worked towards getting credit for the new consoles. Games I got for cheap or was somewhat interested in but never felt motivated to play. Upgrading made me be honest with myself. As a result I've probably traded in close to 75 games. Just in the past few weeks I traded in 20 into Microsoft and that paid off 4 new games for the fall for XB1. That means I want to knock out some titles before September and the fall rush come around.

My main backlog is on 360. I'm not really worried about digital games so much as physical since the boxes take up enough space. I'm about to go to bed but I'll try to post my list of candidates tomorrow/later. I like achievements so I'll probably start with the games that I'm close to completing first and then work from there. And I may use my blog on here to track progress and stay motivated. Wish me luck! And I wish you all the strength to get rid of the junk and play games you enjoy!

Been on vacation since Wednesday so I actually beat a few games this week!  List below:

Mario Kart 8 (all SP circuits)

Uncharted 2

:ps4: Lego Marvel

Now I'm gonna start AC3 on 360 and for my PS3 either Metro Last Light, Enslaved, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, or Bioshock Infinite?

Been on vacation since Wednesday so I actually beat a few games this week! List below:

Mario Kart 8 (all SP circuits)

Uncharted 2

:ps4: Lego Marvel

Now I'm gonna start AC3 on 360 and for my PS3 either Metro Last Light, Enslaved, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, or Bioshock Infinite?
I would highly recommend Bioshock Infinite. I just beat it myself yesterday, and it took me less than 15 hours to complete.

I recently completed:

:ps3:

Ni No Kuni

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion

:360:

Dark Souls 2

Bayonetta

Bioshock Infinite

Far Cry Blood Dragon

Borderlands 2

Now I am working on Tales of Vesperia, Bravely Default,and the Bioshock Infinite DLC.

I've started playing through Walking Dead Season 1 for Vita. It is a great experience although the loading times hurt the flow just a little bit.
 On Wii I'm replaying Super Mario Galaxy. I never got all 121 stars originally so I decided to start another playthrough.

Finished Dragon Book Fantasy II and Chronovolt. Dragon Book Fantasy II wasn't nearly as good as the first one an it is incredibly unstable. Chronovolt wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Going to go through my recent purchases to see what I want to play, but I think I am going to play Muramasa Rebirth next.

Cross FFX-HD off my list. Some of the remixed music worked, some of it didnt.  I'm really looking at Oblivion for my next game. 

Finished Spec Ops: The line.  I highly recommend it for it's story.

Started playing Prototype (the first one).  So far I'm having a blast.  

I wish Radical was still around to make another Incredible Hulk game though.

Finished Spec Ops: The line. I highly recommend it for it's story.

Started playing Prototype (the first one). So far I'm having a blast.

I wish Radical was still around to make another Incredible Hulk game though.
I could not get into Prototype. It just seemed like a jumbled mess when I started it. Granted, I didn't give it more than 20 minutes, so perhaps I should try one more time.

And fuck yea to that Incredible Hulk game, it was amazing. I would kill for another. Hell, I would for just a HD remake of the first one.

K. I have been busy chipping away at the backlog.

Finished Mortal Kombat Challenge Tower, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles HD and Muramasa Rebirth. Going to put some time into Mutant Mudd Deluxe until I figure out what's next.

I could not get into Prototype. It just seemed like a jumbled mess when I started it. Granted, I didn't give it more than 20 minutes, so perhaps I should try one more time.

And fuck yea to that Incredible Hulk game, it was amazing. I would kill for another. Hell, I would for just a HD remake of the first one.
Yeah it seemed the same way to me as well. I was about to give it up too but I'm glad I didn't. I say give it another try.

Finished Towerfall Ascension's Quest Mode and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles today. Trying to figure out what's next. Tomorrow I am going to be away for the day, but will probably start playing Watch Dogs finally.

I finished Walking Dead Season 1 on the Vita yesterday. Fantastic. I really like how Telltale compares your decisions with the community's decisions. I'll wait to play 400 days until Season 2 is close to being finished since I'm waiting for the full release to play each season. Next on the Vita for me will be Teraway from the recent PSN sale.

I also started InFamous Second Son on PS4 this weekend. According to online wiki's I'm already halfway through it so I should be finished sometime this week. So far I'm liking it a bit less than 1 and 2. It is fun to be using different powers but I don't feel compelled to "liberate" the map like in the pass and I miss traveling on the train tracks. Maybe something will change towards the end but I fell like Sucker Punch should take a break from InFamous for a little while.

I failed, I wanted to play Oblivion, but; something got into me. So, i had to dive deep into my backlog and find a game, I rented a long time ago and never beaten due to the store stop renting games, and at the time, they were on cartridges. So, i started up FFIV on the Super NES. 

I finished Walking Dead Season 1 on the Vita yesterday. Fantastic. I really like how Telltale compares your decisions with the community's decisions. I'll wait to play 400 days until Season 2 is close to being finished since I'm waiting for the full release to play each season. Next on the Vita for me will be Teraway from the recent PSN sale.

I also started InFamous Second Son on PS4 this weekend. According to online wiki's I'm already halfway through it so I should be finished sometime this week. So far I'm liking it a bit less than 1 and 2. It is fun to be using different powers but I don't feel compelled to "liberate" the map like in the pass and I miss traveling on the train tracks. Maybe something will change towards the end but I fell like Sucker Punch should take a break from InFamous for a little while.
I agree about infamous I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away. Maybe its the hype I don't know. I liked the powers though they did a good job changing it up, but I felt like it was more of a shooter than a beat em up. Maybe that's why I like the others better.

Over the long holiday weekend I dappled a little bit in Terraria for the Vita, and then played a crap-ton of Crusader Kings II. This is one of the issues with backlog completion. There are some games these days that just have no end. I could play games like Terraria, Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis, and Civilization V indefinitely. Over and over, for hundreds of hours.

Still, I really enjoyed playing, so it's all good.

Finally finished up Persona 4 Golden yesterday. That was the only physical game left in the back log.

In terms of digital purchases, I'm through five levels in Shovel Knight on 3DS. I plan on playing the final episode of The Wolf Among Us on PS3 today or this weekend, and then just have to wait for The Walking Dead season to wrap up and I'm done with PS3. Other than that, the only digital bought games are some VC Zeldas on 3DS that I doubt I'll ever get around to.

Bunch of PS+ freebies of course, but other than a handful of things on Vita and Strider on PS4, nothing I'm really interested in checking out unless I get uber bored at some point.

So yay! My backlog is pretty much dead and I'm where I wanted to be this gen of just having 1-2 games at a time to play across PS4 and my handhelds and not buying any games I wont play right away.

On that front, I'm not buying anything until Destiny in September, so it will just be the Beta for that, PS+ stuff and any Walking Dead episodes until then.

Congrats Dmaul!

I have still a LOONNG way to go.  Part time school (two days a week) full-time work and a family it's pretty challenging to get time in to play these days.  I took an online course thinking that would work with time at home but it seems to have made it worse.  Very tough.

I finished Prototype last night.  Finally!  It got really hard and tedious towards the end almost borderline un-fair.  Took me a while to beat the last two bosses even with damn near all of my powers upgraded.  I hear the second is better but I want to play something else before diving in.  If you guys don't mind please help me choose between:

Gears of War 3

The Darkness 2

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Killzone 3

Thanks!

Finished the story mode in Injustice today. Also finished Watch Dogs and I am working on Gravity Rush and Sideway New York. Oh ya I finished Mutant Mudds deluxe if I haven't mentioned that.

Congrats Dmaul!

I have still a LOONNG way to go. Part time school (two days a week) full-time work and a family it's pretty challenging to get time in to play these days. I took an online course thinking that would work with time at home but it seems to have made it worse. Very tough.

I finished Prototype last night. Finally! It got really hard and tedious towards the end almost borderline un-fair. Took me a while to beat the last two bosses even with damn near all of my powers upgraded. I hear the second is better but I want to play something else before diving in. If you guys don't mind please help me choose between:

Gears of War 3
The Darkness 2
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Killzone 3

Thanks!
I loved the first condemned so I would play part 2 even though I haven't played it personally. Killzone 3 is a huge leap from Kz2 almost as big as AC1 to AC2. Not quite severe but seriously noticeable. If you are looking for quantity I would say you could probably finish any 2 of those games in the amount of time you would finish brotherhood. If you want to finish a longer game to reduce your total hours go with AcBrohood. Hopefully something I said helped.

I loved the first condemned so I would play part 2 even though I haven't played it personally. Killzone 3 is a huge leap from Kz2 almost as big as AC1 to AC2. Not quite severe but seriously noticeable. If you are looking for quantity I would say you could probably finish any 2 of those games in the amount of time you would finish brotherhood. If you want to finish a longer game to reduce your total hours go with AcBrohood. Hopefully something I said helped.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Is Assassin's Creed Brotherhood that long for a good reason?

Working on AC3, about halfway through the main story. After that most of my physical backlog on 360 will be done, just some digital games on 360/PS3 to finish up.

Congrats Dmaul!

I have still a LOONNG way to go. Part time school (two days a week) full-time work and a family it's pretty challenging to get time in to play these days. I took an online course thinking that would work with time at home but it seems to have made it worse. Very tough.
Thanks! Mine wasn't a huge deal though as I did much better last gen than in prior ones of not buying a bunch of things just because they were cheap. I just mostly built a small PS3 backlog after getting one late in the gen (Jan 2012) and getting too many games there between cheap older games and PS+).

Also just career for me--no school or kids--and working as a professor I have a fair amount of time to knock out backlog in the summer when I'm just doing research work rather than juggling that along with teaching and administrative work. A lot easier to game with 40ish hour weeks in the summer instead of 60+ ones during the academic year!

bread's done
Back