* * * * * 2 votes

The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

yard sale garage sale hauls 2015 scan shaming retro collection retro games garage sales yard sales

#331 notaspaceship   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

notaspaceship

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

It poured rain today. I forced myself to go out figuring that I was sure to find something awesome since everyone else would stay at home. Nope. It was raining cats, dogs and resellers. I bought a bunch of stuff including a stack of PS2 games for $1-2 ea. Nothing rare or exciting. What I have decided my "white whale" will be this summer is the original "Final Fantasy" for NES. I know it's not rare, I know I can buy it for about $20 on eBay and you all probably have 5 copies each, but I remember playing it as a little kid at family gatherings rather than sitting on a couch for four hours bored out of my mind. That would be fun to just find somewhere. Bonus points if it comes with the map.

Community sales tomorrow, I hope it doesn't rain again if it doesn't even keep other people away :P

#332 notaspaceship   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

notaspaceship

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

Slightly off-topic. Okay it is OT. I would like a disc resurfacer. I pass up on games at Goodwill and whatnot because they look scary. Best Buy used games always look amazing but I'm sure they have something that costs thousands of dollars. I was hoping for something that is $200 or less and does a good job of making the disc look shiny (i.e. no hazy swirl marks left behind). Is this a dream or do one of you currently own one that does such a thing?

To make it even more challenging...what works well on PS1 discs?

#333 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Only hitting a couple of targeted sales today since I spent a fair amount yesterday. Hit this one up early though as it started at 8 and I live less than 6 minutes from it. Their ad mentioned Sega Genesis and Nintendo Game Cube. (yes as two words) Usually I don't focus on sales with games advertised but it was interesting to me that not only did he misspell it, but he also took like 20 pictures yet none with the games. Told me he might not really value them and might just be listing off a bunch of stuff. With it being so close I decided to check it out.

I got there and found nothing. One other guy was already there even though I was 15 minutes early. Had to ask the guy and lucky for me his wife had forgotten to bring it out. Unfortunately he had no Genesis games, just a model 1 system with no cords or controllers. Also had a Gamecube with 3 games and 2 wavebirds. Wanted 40 for it all which I didn't have on me or want to do. Couldn't get him down on the Gamecube and he had to have a controller for the system but I got 2 games and 1 wavebird (REALLY clean). He asked 20 for that but i got him to 15 which I'm perfectly happy with. So for 15 I grabbed a Wavebird, Zelda Collector's Edition and the special edition Mario Kart Double Dash. REALLY clean and all complete. Sadly nothing I actually need still... but 2 solid lots this weekend which I can use to get something I actually want so that's cool.

gsalelot.jpg

#334 Indigo_Streetlight  

Indigo_Streetlight

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Slightly off-topic. Okay it is OT. I would like a disc resurfacer. I pass up on games at Goodwill and whatnot because they look scary. Best Buy used games always look amazing but I'm sure they have something that costs thousands of dollars. I was hoping for something that is $200 or less and does a good job of making the disc look shiny (i.e. no hazy swirl marks left behind). Is this a dream or do one of you currently own one that does such a thing?

Check your Record and Tape traders or local media store, sometimes they'll offer a resurfacing service for $3-4 per disc. I did this with a Kuon disc once, though I wasn't too keen on the effects. The trouble is, if anybody ever wants to clean the disc in the future, the compound will melt right off when even just a small amount of water is applied.

#335 xtreme_Zr2   Mr. Sonny Crockett CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:58 AM

Nice gamecube find Bing!

#336 Lacey Cameron  

Lacey Cameron

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

I'm looking to buy 2nd hand Xbox 360 so I can play zumba ... lol. Is anyone selling? Please PM me! Thank you! 

PM'd you, kindly check. I need to sell of cause we are actually moving to another State. I hope to hear from you the soonest.

#337 notaspaceship   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

notaspaceship

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Went to a sub-division sale, was pretty fun especially since it wasn't pouring down rain today. Got a lot of stuff including Smash Brothers Brawl & Mario Kart Wii for $5 ea. and the nice guy at the sale also let me have a big Dialga (Pokemon) plush for free. 

Picked up a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition for $5. I managed to leave with $10 left in my pocket and as far as I could see I managed to visit all the houses so I count it as a win.

Memorial Day weekend is this coming week, so I'm hoping for some more great sales to go to.

#338 Kevlar281   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   578 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Kevlar281

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Picked up a Panasonic RC-210 Clock Radio in perfect condition for $3. 

#339 Rollobobo   EAT SHIITAKE! CAGiversary!   2970 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

Went to about 10 Garage sales...NOTHING.  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

#340 Kaipper  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

Went to a bunch of sales today, most were full of baby clothes and jewelry type stuff. There was one that had advertised video games, but when I asked the woman she said she'd forgotten them. Gave me the date and address for her next sale and said she'd have them out then, but it's way out of my way so I'll see whether or not I end up going.

This was my only gaming find for today, but it was a nice one:

IMG_4299.JPG

Pulled up to this sale around 11:30 and there was nobody there. Picked out the PS1 games and as I went to ring the doorbell, a guy came out of the house and said he'd been out there since 7 and didn't want to deal with it any longer, so I could just take whatever I wanted for free. Grabbed everything else in the picture and a neat cookbook.

Non-gaming finds: some Spongebob DVDs for $1 each, and a big bag of Littlest Pet Shop toys for $2. Probably 2-3 dozen toys in there, plus accessories and a broken toy bathtub dated 1893. Not sure if it's worth anything, but that was a neat find.

#341 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

This morning it was raining at around 8:30 when I usually go out so I decided to just stay home; 2 hours later the sun was out so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I got a Ti-83 Plus Silver calculator for $3. Should have brought batteries with me, cause it turns out the screen is all fucked up. I might be able to fix it but dammit, why can't anything ever just work?  :wall:

Also found another PS2 slim after getting a nice boxed one last week. This one didn't have a box, but was only $5 and it did have all the cables, one controller, and a nice 64MB memory card.

I'm grateful any time I don't have to go home empty-handed, but at this point I would do unspeakable things for an N64 game. :lol:

#342 strawyleader997   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1035 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

strawyleader997

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

This morning it was raining at around 8:30 when I usually go out so I decided to just stay home; 2 hours later the sun was out so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I got a Ti-83 Plus Silver calculator for $3. Should have brought batteries with me, cause it turns out the screen is all fucked up. I might be able to fix it but dammit, why can't anything ever just work? :wall:

Also found another PS2 slim after getting a nice boxed one last week. This one didn't have a box, but was only $5 and it did have all the cables, one controller, and a nice 64MB memory card.

I'm grateful any time I don't have to go home empty-handed, but at this point I would do unspeakable things for an N64 game. :lol:

For the ti-83 you could try taking it apart and applying pressure to where the ribbon cable connects. I had a similar problem with one I bought last week and this fixed it.

#343 Kranekinjar   Scrappy Doo on Xanax CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Kranekinjar

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:20 AM

I found some good N64 and PS1 games, today! I paid $2 bucks per PS1 games (she had Jurassic Park PS1 too but, it was messed up). The Rampage game was a complete surprise to me (I've never heard of it). The N64 games were $5 each besides, Ogre Battle 64 (complete in box) it was $15 bucks because it has "the VHS box". Worked a deal out for $25.00 (the Winnie the Pooh game was free then, lol)!

Kranekin 516 YS finds.PNG

#344 david12795  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:35 AM

late to the game but a guy offered 2 ps2 slims as well as a wii all for $20 along with cables/powercords.

#345 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   365 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:44 AM

JFJ Easy Pro. That little machine has saved so many games, CDs, and movies for me.  It's less than $150 and will work for many scratched discs (though gamecube and wii seem to have the most trouble reading a buffed disc). 

Edit: I didn't go yard sailing today. I am ashamed.

BUT. I did go to a storage auction earlier this week. The unit I got had been stored since 2000 and had some neat stuff in it, but my friend/competitor got a unit that was stored since 1993! I went through some things with them and it made me feel like a kid again, most things were new or like new toys in their boxes, there were old DOS books and Windows software on 5.25" floppies. It was incredible. Best thing I saw that they had was a Tubtown toy in the box. It's worth about $300.

#346 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:46 AM

Really weird 2 seasons (albeit this one just started) with very few games... most likely I have competition but have not crossed paths...

But today... today... a complete sega cdx!  (have yet to test...) $5 it's so little ... and heavy!

#347 UnderFire  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:20 AM

Not a good day at the yard sales today, only found overpriced crappy wii games once and saw no other trace of games at any other sale (Well, kinda).

Got some non-gaming stuff.

1984 Toyota Trucks and Accessories brochures, 2 for 1$

"Hawthorne" The Complete Final Season (Sealed) - 2$

Inception DVD (Disc only, Little Fockers DVD (Sealed) and a marine style battery box for 1$ total.

And then at the same sale as the Toyota Brochures, out of the corner of my eye I saw the word "Game" on a box under a pile of stuff, I found this.

Ql0RfAF.jpg

It's complete, all the contents are in great shape, and the game itself looks like brand new, I'll be honest, I know nothing about early 80's LCD games, but this was very cool to find.

I paid the low low price of free for it.

#348 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2492 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:41 AM

Got this for $2 today

IMAG0154.jpg

#349 notaspaceship   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

notaspaceship

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

JFJ Easy Pro. That little machine has saved so many games, CDs, and movies for me.  It's less than $150 and will work for many scratched discs (though gamecube and wii seem to have the most trouble reading a buffed disc). 

Thanks, I will look into that! I live in fear that my mother will fall behind in her storage locker payments because all my toys from the 80's/90's are in there. I live 2000 miles away from her so retrieving them atm is not an option.

#350 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1762 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, I will look into that! I live in fear that my mother will fall behind in her storage locker payments because all my toys from the 80's/90's are in there. I live 2000 miles away from her so retrieving them atm is not an option.

Should you just start paying for her storage unit then?

#351 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7171 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

Too damn humid for me to go yardsailing this week. Mother's Day was unbearable, maybe today as well.

#352 CookieParty   Artist formerly known as Burritoman CAGiversary!   3260 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

CookieParty

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

Got:

PS3

NCAA Football 14

UFC Undisputed 3

GTA V

Black Ops 2

All for $16.

Not a bad first trip out this year. Rest of the sales yesterday were a waste though.

#353 RyanH1229   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   107 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:05 PM

Had 3 Community Sales around me this weekend. Here is the loot!

10nt8iv.jpg

From various sales. Total paid for all pictured = $58.75

Also found Last of Us Remastered and Watch Dogs for $10 each

Really fun weekend~!

here is a close up of the games

98d43m.png

#354 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14848 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

Finds 9-6-14

Time to jump into the time machine.

IMG_1064_zpsgl8izroq.jpg
Found Super Mario World, Contra III, Wing Commander IV and The Air War in Europe in the middle of the day in a vendors dump bin for $0.25 each. They were mixed in with rusty old tools and other stuff you would expect to see in the garbage. Breath of Fire and Dino Crisis were $1 each from the same place. Yes, that is Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell in Wing Commander.
D/

Hamill & McDowell actually both started with Wing Commander 3, the first of the last 3 mainline WC games to go FMV. Hamill played your character, Christopher "Maverick" Blair while McDowell played Admiral Tolwyn.

#355 notaspaceship   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

notaspaceship

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:44 AM

Should you just start paying for her storage unit then?

I live in fear because she's forgetful and disorganized, not because she can't afford it. My stuff is a pretty small percentage of what's in there.

#356 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   432 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

Not a great weekend for me, but I still found some decent stuff. Unfortunately I don't have pics, as I had to send a lot of the stuff off to the MAGFest warehouse already so my wife wouldn't kill me. ;)

First sale was only posted the night before and mentioned NES and Genesis stuff. I got there 30 minutes early and there was already someone there, but he seemed to be interested in purely NES stuff. The seller was still setting up, so we ended up standing around for a while. After all was said and done the seller couldn't find the NES stuff, but I did get the following items:

-a Model 1 Genesis

-a Model 3 Genesis

-a Model 2 Genesis AC adapter

-5 Genesis controllers

-a Telegames pinball/breakaway console

-an original Gameboy with Tetris

-a stack of Nintendo Super Power Club trading cards

-a bag of Earthworm Jim toys

-an antique turtle toy (for my brother)

-a Space Jam DVD and a big Space Jam ceramic statue (for a friend)

Unfortunately I choked when he asked me to make him an offer and said $70, which he accepted. I really need to start going back to just offering $20 for boxes.

Hit a few sales after that but kept being told that someone had already come by asking for games. I did pick up an old 3d camera for $8, which I bought solely for the instructional video that stars VIncent Prince (they wouldn't separate the video). Fortunately I've already found a friend to buy the camera for $7. I also found a couple of GBA SP 101s at a sale for $13 total.

Final find for Saturday was in the city, where I scored Okami, Vampire Night, Genji, and Alien Hominid for $1 apiece at a local flea market.

I also went out Sunday and found a few things then, as well. I picked up Army of Darkness and Black Dynamite on DVD for $1 apiece, and then a complete PS2 for $10.

#357 ChuckT   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   86 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:20 AM

First real yard sale scores of the season:

17845802221_5630e56bf7_n.jpg

t

Most of this came from one location - landed the Pokemon Gamecube w/two controllers, all hookups  and six games (Pokemon Colosseum, Luigi's Mansion, Kirby Air Ride, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Mega Collection, and Super Monkey Ball 2) for $50, and the rest of the items came to $13.00. Brain Age 2 is sealed, but it's not really worth anything. Not shown - Monsters Inc Scream Arena. 

#358 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   432 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Fun fact I learned earlier this year: NFL Street Vol. 2 is actually a little uncommon and is worth about $20.

#359 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

Fun fact I learned earlier this year: NFL Street Vol. 2 is actually a little uncommon and is worth about $20.

hmmm. I think I have a couple copies brand new on xbox. I think I bought them back in the day for .97 when Sears used to have cheap games.

#360 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   432 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

Ah, I should mention that it's that amount for the GCN version. Not sure about it's price on other systems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yard sale, garage sale, hauls, 2015, scan shaming, retro, collection, retro games, garage sales, yard sales