* * * * * 2 votes

The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

yard sale garage sale hauls 2015 scan shaming retro collection retro games garage sales yard sales

#991 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3633 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:40 AM

I always thought proper etiquette is that if you're looking through a box of items, the next person will have to wait their turn. If there's multiple boxes, they're fair game. You can't hog the entire sale, but for someone to come sticking their hands in something you're looking through is not okay. If someone did that to me I would be straight and tell them to wait their fucking turn. They say no? I'll do what's necessary to get them out of my space.

I have an extremely short temper where straight resellers are involved. They're usually the ones speeding through neighborhoods, running to and from their car and generally being all-around cunts. Other gamers, however, I've been able to reason with and even chat up while browsing through games.

#992 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2492 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

I had a pretty successful yard sale day and things have been pretty decent now for the last month (with one day that I made some horrible buys).

I did have a issue this last week though.  I have always been a believer that whoever arrives first to a yard sale is the one that gets first dibs.  I usually do not wait for a yard sale to open but I did arrive 30 minutes early to one this past weekend.  I am outside waiting by my car when another car pulls up (an acura) and the guy walks to the sale on his cell phone.  I ask for video games and the lady takes them out for me and the guy starts pulling the games.  I politely tell him I was going to take them and he starts telling me I have to share.  He hands me a game and takes another.  I again state I was going to take that and he states I have to share.  He quickly pays and leaves, while on his cell phone the whole time.

I have seen this guy around, he buys what seems to be resalable games and definitely does not "share".  Any ideas on how to deal with this guy without making a scence next time I see him?  I wanted to pull him aside and tell him he was wasn't being cool but I figured he must have needed the $10 he was going to make more than I needed a dupe for my collection.

Honestly when you say you want a dupe for your collection you basically threw yourself under the bus and called yourself a reseller too. Who buys dupes of games maybe a system for backups but back up games. I don't buy it. The guy beat you to the deal with a no better practice then acquiring dupes. Maybe don't take dupes and leave them for the next collector. But wait you do it to stop those resellers therefore becoming a reseller yourself or using it for barter trade bait etc.same thing.

#993 Indigo_Streetlight  

Indigo_Streetlight

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

I had a pretty successful yard sale day and things have been pretty decent now for the last month (with one day that I made some horrible buys).

I did have a issue this last week though.  I have always been a believer that whoever arrives first to a yard sale is the one that gets first dibs.  I usually do not wait for a yard sale to open but I did arrive 30 minutes early to one this past weekend.  I am outside waiting by my car when another car pulls up (an acura) and the guy walks to the sale on his cell phone.  I ask for video games and the lady takes them out for me and the guy starts pulling the games.  I politely tell him I was going to take them and he starts telling me I have to share.  He hands me a game and takes another.  I again state I was going to take that and he states I have to share.  He quickly pays and leaves, while on his cell phone the whole time.

I have seen this guy around, he buys what seems to be resalable games and definitely does not "share".  Any ideas on how to deal with this guy without making a scence next time I see him?  I wanted to pull him aside and tell him he was wasn't being cool but I figured he must have needed the $10 he was going to make more than I needed a dupe for my collection.

When I'm in a situation like that (seller brings out games because I specifically asked for them), I'll put my back to the house and physically get between the box they bring out and the road. Don't wait by your car, get up on their porch and camp out like a caveman with shifty eyes. Make sure that no one else gets to see the goods until you're done considering them.

#994 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   365 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

Man, I just left a storage auction that had some 360 stuff. It was the last room in an 18 room auction. The room was 10x40 (MASSIVE), had lots of tools, and even more trash. In the front of the room was a table with about 40 copies of Black Ops II for 360. Underneath the table were boxes of fat 360 consoles. Went for $1700 (didn't really matter what it went for, I wasn't touching it!). I was hoping someone I'm friendly with would have bought it so I could make a deal on the game stuff. Ah well.

In other news. Went to the one yard sale in my town on the way to the auction today & got:

Atari Lynx (in soft case) w/ a baseball game for $5! My first time finding one... hopefully it works.

#995 Otherguy676   Grand Pawn Shop Champ! CAGiversary!   1265 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Otherguy676

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:07 PM

I appreciate the advice.  I didn't see the guy today.  My area, which has a few universities, gets extremely competitive with games.  Most of the game buyers I've met have been decent.  It's unfortuanate someone like Acura guy can't wait his turn.

Anyways today was weirdest day of the season.

I got up and left early as there were a number of game and comic sales advertised.  I was the first one at many of them, and almost everything was overpriced, however, all the sellers were really cool.

Having no luck, I hit a few community sales and was ttold I missed out on a big game bundle.  Other games I saw weren't great, and ended up with a few dollar 360 games that I wasn't sure if I had.  Also forgot to check game cases and ended up buying 2 PSP cases without games for $1 apiece.

So I head home and see this yard sale on the side of a busy main road at around 11am.  The girl running the sale tells me she doesn't have video games but she does have some old toys and pulls out a Return of the Jedi Ewok still in the package.  She sells it to me for a $1 and I continue to look at her stuff and ask her again about games.  She comments her brother had a Sega CD and she walks into her garage and she pulls out a Sonic CD (pink disc) and a NES controller.  She sells me those for $3 and I start to leave when she yells for me that she found her Sega CD.  She pulls out a large box (so Im expecting a Model 1) and hands it to me.  Its a complete CDX!  She sells it to me for $21 as she isn't sure its working (this one turns out to work great).  I am going to check with her tomorrow as she said she has tons of crap to take out and may have a lot more games and maybe some G1 Transformers now that she thinks about it.

So after my wife meets me to drop my car off for an oil change, we drive home and see a yard sale in my very well traveled neighborhood.  I have never had a game find pass 8am and I know a number of resellers hit my neighborhood early every Saturday.  We see overpriced old games at this yard sale and I spot a torn apart DS case with Pokemon on it.  I ask if they have any more games and they say no and then I ask for any Pokemon stuff.  Guy walks out with Pokemon cards (something I dont see anymore as stores offer $60 per 1000 commons in my area) and theres some EX cards and bunch of cards my wife likes.  Guy sells them for $5 to get rid of them and then hands me a case with a DS and some empty pokemon DS game cases.  He sells me the DS lot for $20.  In the car, my wife counts 27 games, 11 of which are main series Pokemon games (with a bunch of side games and notable GBA games).  This was found close to 1pm which is crazy.

Definitely my best 'late day' finds in a few years.  I'm glad to have a working CDx which takes up a lot less space than the Sega Genesis I have plugged in up in my game cave.

#996 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1769 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

$21 CD-X? Augh, expletive deleted! I love the form factor of those little guys. Ultra high tech in a mid 1990s kind of way.

#997 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:16 AM

Nintendo hardware has always been built like tanks. I've yet to encounter any nintendo hw that's DOA. Maybe a toaster here and there but thats about it.

I thought this up until last week when I picked up 10 cable-less SNES consoles for $10 a piece. Thought that was a steal - none work! :(

#998 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2230 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Definitely my best 'late day' finds in a few years.  I'm glad to have a working CDx which takes up a lot less space than the Sega Genesis I have plugged in up in my game cave.

I'd almost be afraid to use it since they are notorious for CD problems. Just pack it up and stare at it lovingly.

#999 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:36 AM

Not a garage sale item, but this thread needs some life. Got this from fedex today.

gold%20ps4_zps3i1gfxri.jpg

#1000 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1769 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

Bend me! Did you win that from the Taco Bell contest or was that something you purchased from someone who did?

#1001 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:23 PM

Bend me! Did you win that from the Taco Bell contest or was that something you purchased from someone who did?

I won it from the contest. I used the daily free entry code (1 per day). I won it on the 5th or 6th day. No diarrhea! :whee:

#1002 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   365 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

And here I was getting big boxes... only 3 or so, but still!

#1003 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

I won it from the contest. I used the daily free entry code (1 per day). I won it on the 5th or 6th day. No diarrhea! :whee:

Everyone on reddit that has won one seems to have also won that way. I wonder if any big box codes actually won?

#1004 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4450 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

This isn't a yard sale find, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.  My dad works at a car dealership so he finds random stuff when cleaning out the cars that have been traded in.  The last things he gave me were Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES and FIFA 15 for the PS3.  If it's free, it's for me  :D/

#1005 Kranekinjar   Scrappy Doo on Xanax CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Kranekinjar

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

Damn, I haven't posted in quite sometime. I've been finding things (too busy/lazy to post). Regardless, here's the things I found in the past 2 weeks.

I added everything up and it summed up to $65.00 (not too pricey).

The white DreamCast controllers were in great shape

novdec finds.PNG

Those DBZ stickers made my day, lol!

Novdec systems.PNG

#1006 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2226 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

Damn, I haven't posted in quite sometime. I've been finding things (too busy/lazy to post). Regardless, here's the things I found in the past 2 weeks.

I added everything up and it summed up to $65.00 (not too pricey).

The white DreamCast controllers were in great shape

novdec finds.PNG

Those DBZ stickers made my day, lol!

Novdec systems.PNG

dat black sports dreamcast tho... =P~

#1007 Gamwhiz  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:03 AM

Are laserdiscs worth anything? Found a bunch of weeb shit, some sealed, in some random goodwill, but I can't for the life of me find prices. Dbz and eva piqued my interest enough to ask, I doubt they're worth anything but don't want to regret later. There's more, but look like no-name moeblobs, I put a few of them out.

v36wAxqh.jpg

#1008 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:14 AM

Some laserdiscs are good, but those aren't laserdiscs. They are VCDs (video cds).

#1009 elessar123  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:16 AM

I don't know who you're trying to ask for help from from your post, and I don't think you know what laser discs are.

#1010 Gamwhiz  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

I don't know who you're trying to ask for help from from your post, and I don't think you know what laser discs are.

You're right, I don't. Had no idea what they were, read what english there was on the cases and came to that conclusion based on things like "...comprised in this video disc (including laser disc and video casette tape)" and "the program contained in this laser disc is liscensed for..."

sdGf1OBh.jpg

Either way, thanks for the fast response! Goodwill basically is our yard sale here in WI for the next few months, and I figured you guys were the most likely to know. Cheers, and sorry if I annoyed you.

#1011 elessar123  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:37 AM

You were condescending to people who'd know what those were, so I'm not sure what you meant to accomplish. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, etc.

Like Slowdive said, they're VCDs, which are common in Taiwan, China, etc. They're often (always?) bootlegs. They're also typically extremely low bitrate -- like 50 megs an episode or so. They usually make 480i look great.

The text is in Chinese, not Japanese. And the warning at the back there says for use in Hong Kong only. The English text is probably copied from an actual laser disc warning.

#1012 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11839 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

20151219_145505_zps3p7rybje.jpg

Picked these up for $8 last week.

#1013 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

I still haven't seen any of those in the wild. I've snatched up around 150 disney movies on dvd/blu the past couple years, but the treasures still elude me.

#1014 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11839 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

I was going to ignore them at first tbh. Then I actually looked them up. :lol:

#1015 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

New year, new thread!

https://www.cheapass...?hl=+yard +sale

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yard sale, garage sale, hauls, 2015, scan shaming, retro, collection, retro games, garage sales, yard sales